Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    They may not be directly liable but its still dragging their name through the mud when you see e.g. 'MAN DIES PLAYING BLIZZARD GAME WORLD OF WARCRAFT, ARE GAMES ADDICTIVE' in the news.

I mean, that's just my theory anyway. Its probably more likely a matter of not wanting everyone to exhaust content in 1-2 days then screeching "THERES NOTHING TO DO" on the forums.
    Here's the thing, that's definitely not "everyone" by any means at all, it's still very much a tiny minority that does that. And like, okay, so they paid to play a game, rushed through all the content, and then complained they have nothing to do? Why should everyone else be punished because a small minority of players with way more free time than everyone else chose to play the game in a way they wanted to? It just seems crazy to capitulate and design the game around a tiny minority like that and ruin everyone else's enjoyment of the game over it.

Like I said before, other MMOs have tried that, like Wildstar for example, and well, we can all see how well that turned out for them.

Yeah. They want to avoid a situation where some people can jam on getting a rep or whatever and be incredibly far ahead of everyone else and of course they want to keep people playing. Weekly limits feel to me like the best compromise.
    Completely understandable, having a situation where some people are incredibly far ahead of everyone else rep wise would be bad as well, I definitely agree with them on that. Weekly limits definitely feel like a good compromise to me, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Because if they arent locked people will endlessly bitch about being "forced" to do endless dailies, islands, etc.
    Isn't that the same thing?
    Whether the game requires me to play 5 hours now or 5 hours over 5 weeks doesn't make a difference, now does it?

Those timegates "force" you to play the game after the game's schedule, not your own.

You know how every so often there's a story in the news about a gamer who binged on Fortnite or LoL or whatever and falls over dead?
    And this is somehow the companies fault?

Those people who are so addicted to the game due to a lack of self control aren't going to fix their lives because of timegating or some other bullshit, it's not the job of game developers to play therapist / parent and fix people's personal problems.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Because people like you will sit at their pc spending days straight grinding till you pass out, getting all the content done in 3 days then rage that there isnt more.
    No they wouldn't. First they'd instead bitch that they are "forced" to grind all the content in 3 days, then they'd bitch that there isn't anything else to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Isn't that the same thing?
    Whether the game requires me to play 5 hours now or 5 hours over 5 weeks doesn't make a difference, now does it?

Those timegates "force" you to play the game after the game's schedule, not your own.

And this is somehow the companies fault?

Those people who are so addicted to the game due to a lack of self control aren't going to fix their lives because of timegating or some other bullshit, it's not the job of game developers to play therapist / parent and fix people's personal problems.
    I neither said nor insinuated it was their fault, maybe read what is written instead of trying to look for hidden meaning that isn't there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Temp1on2 View Post
    No they wouldn't. First they'd instead bitch that they are "forced" to grind all the content in 3 days, then they'd bitch that there isn't anything else to do.
    Sad how true this is.

I neither said nor insinuated it was their fault, maybe read what is written instead of trying to look for hidden meaning that isn't there.

- - - Updated - - -

Sad how true this is.
    Sad and true, but also, should Blizzard be listening to those people when it comes to game design decisions? You've said that's their reason for time gating stuff. Do you not now see why they shouldn't be listening to people like that and time gating everything?

I've been asking the same question in regards to beta access. I've been playing Blizzard games since 2002 and haven't gotten an invite to alpha or beta testing since Hearthstone, which I then sold for $130 and bought 2 weeks later for $20...

Actually... that might be why.

That's really besides the point.
    I quite frankly do not see how people who have mental issues should somehow be a deciding factor when it comes to game design.

Because that's what you are doing, making a point how people with mental issues are negatively influenced by a game's design.
    Even if you want argue over the "bad rep" it causes, that's just bogus, because making your game worse so people aren't getting (as) addicted may not be the most sound business strategy for obvious reasons.

Blizzard just released Classic, probably the most time consuming version of WoW to this date, was the "but muh bad rep from few shitheads ditching their live for Classic" argument ever on the table?
    Perhaps, but it got rejected.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flower Milk View Post
    I've never played this game like that in my entire life. Like I said, I'm an adult with responsibilities, and WoW is for when I have free time, those responsibilities come first always. That's why time gating sucks for me, like I said here:
    Others don't play responsibly though (see the occasional reports of death by video game) and they have their own business reasons for not allowing people to grind through several weeks worth of reputations in one go. The only annoying thing is people bringing this up now as if it's something new. It's not and has been talked to death.

- - - Updated - - -

Sad and true, but also, should Blizzard be listening to those people when it comes to game design decisions? You've said that's their reason for time gating stuff. Do you not now see why they shouldn't be listening to people like that and time gating everything?
    There's probably a legal and ethical landscape to consider that outweighs your personal preferences.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    I said its a theory.

I mean, that's just my theory anyway. Its probably more likely a matter of not wanting everyone to exhaust content in 1-2 days then screeching "THERES NOTHING TO DO" on the forums.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    There's probably a legal and ethical landscape to consider that outweighs your personal preferences.
    If only more people understood this.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I level a character to max and it's a fun time, and when I hit max level I'm met with some world quest chores to meet my goals of unlocking flying, allied races, better gear, etc. Cool. But then I start doing those chores, and the game is like "that's all the progress/WoW you can play for today, come back tomorrow". Why doesn't Blizzard trust me to play their game more? Why do they put these weird parental control time gated progress walls everywhere? I feel like I'm playing a mobile phone game and I'm about to be asked to pay real money to bypass these time gated progress walls.

I'm a grown adult Blizzard, I can play your game for as long as I feel like it/have the time and still attend to my IRL responsibilities, you don't need to restrict my play time like this by putting everything behind a time gate. I'm not going to stop playing your game either because I've met my goals faster than you've intended me to, that's crazy. You still have so much more for me to do once I've unlocked flying, allied races, etc like making alts, collecting mounts/pets/transmogs and so much else, you do not need to heavily time gate everything like this to try to keep me playing for longer. All it does is just burn me out on the game and make me NOT want to play the game at all anymore because I'm so sick and frustrated with all these time gates everywhere.

Why do they do this?
    It's because Idiots in the community complain they feel forced to do everything if their isn't a cap.

Basically everyone is capped because a lot of pseudo-elitist losers with no Jobs have no self control.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Others don't play responsibly though (see the occasional reports of death by video game) and they have their own business reasons for not allowing people to grind through several weeks worth of reputations in one go. The only annoying thing is people bringing this up now as if it's something new. It's not and has been talked to death.

- - - Updated - - -

That's why we sign this: https://www.blizzard.com/en-us/legal...ense-agreement

Limitations of Liability. Blizzard, its parent, subsidiaries, Licensors and affiliates shall not be liable for any loss or damage arising out of your use of, or inability to access or use, the Platform or Account(s). Blizzard’s liability shall never exceed the total fees paid by you to Blizzard during the six (6) months prior to your making a claim against Blizzard. Because some jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion or limitation of consequential or incidental damages, Blizzard’s liability shall be limited to the fullest extent permitted by law.
    Blizzard is not legally liable at all for people who die while playing any of their games. There is no need to design the game around limiting people's play with time gating to prevent a tiny minority of people with no self control from playing too much to the detriment of their health.

I said its a theory.

Even if it is just a theory, do you agree that Blizzard shouldn't be listening to people like that and putting time gates on everything because of people that exhaust everything in 1-2 days and then complain that there's nothing to do? I think we can both agree people like that are pretty stupid and Blizzard shouldn't be listening to or designing their game around them. So if in your theory that is the reason why time gates are everywhere, maybe they... shouldn't be?
    Last edited by Flower Milk; 2019-12-09 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NabyBro View Post
    Boohoo.

When was that, 8 years ago? Maybe adapt instead of whine.

Literally everything in the game right now takes less time to farm than in any other expansion. You can get exalted reps in 2 weeks with minimal effort. Especially now with the 15% bonus. Farming only the Suramar rep in Legion took twice that long (during Legion).
    Uh what is the secret, because It's been WAYYY more than 2 weeks and I don't have all reps exalted.

That's kind of how emissaries are set up already. You can ignore them for 3 days, then log on, knock out 11 or 12 WQs and finish them all in one swoop.
    Hell you might only need to do as few as 6 if it is one zone + Magi + Tortollen and they're all lined up right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Hell you might only need to do as few as 6 if it is one zone + Magi + Tortollen and they're all lined up right.
    Indeed, I love when that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    ...yet you don't realize that this is not their official forum, so why do you address them personally as if it is?

Basically you come across as somebody ranting on a street corner on his soapbox towards the government. Also if timegating of things like flying is NOW your problem, you are kinda behind everything anyhow...at this point it isn't even a timegate anymore as you should have unlocked it weeks ago, even with their restrictions that annoy you so much.

But yeah...they don't do it to "protect" you from overindulging, they do it so you stay subbed and keep coming back. Stretch that time that you stay a customer.

As an adult, you surely figured that out yourself even before you wrote the thread.
    Probably because he went all 5yo on the official forum and got a timeout.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    Literally this is the only reason.
    ------

Tell blizzard to fuck off, find a better company to throw money to that doesn't jerk you around.
    No different than any other time hating that has been present since day one though.

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    WQ's are some of the most boring end game content this game has to offer IMO, yet here you are complaining about not having enough of them. You are unique.
    Without WQs, they will just get rid of the game world and give you instance portals to dungeons and raids in town. They cant get of them.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    No different than any other time hating that has been present since day one though.
    Ironically, the same people who criticize time gating also simultaneously refer to attunements as a great alternative. Because doing the same content over 5 weeks before you can access content is somehow different than collecting an item from a raid that takes 5 weeks for the whole raid to collect. It's... mind boggling sometimes.

15+ Year Old Account
    You still have so much more for me to do once I've unlocked flying, allied races, etc like making alts, collecting mounts/pets/transmogs and so much else
    Then do that after you hit whatever content wall you've set for a character. I say that you set because things do not stop just because you no longer have an emissary. You can technically grind out rep with every world quest in the game due to the contract system. World Quests change out a couple of times per day. Plus as you say you have alts, allied races, mounts, pets, transmogs and "so much else".

So do that "so much else" and be the adult that you claim you are not allowed to be because of Blizzard.

- - - Updated - - -

I never had to do any time gated grinds at all for new races.
    No but you did for classes. Death Knights and Demon Hunters had time-gated grinds for "new players". Most already met the requirements because of existing characters on the servers. If indeed there is so much more to do in the game then you should have no issue with time gated walls.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    Probably because he went all 5yo on the official forum and got a timeout.

- - - Updated - - -

Uhh what? I can definitely still post on the official forums, I'm not sure what you're talking about. I just chose to post here instead. My bad, next time I want to discuss World of Warcraft I won't come to the WoW section of MMO Champion I guess lol.
    Last edited by Flower Milk; 2019-12-09 at 03:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Ironically, the same people who criticize time gating also simultaneously refer to attunements as a great alternative. Because doing the same content over 5 weeks before you can access content is somehow different than collecting an item from a raid that takes 5 weeks for the whole raid to collect. It's... mind boggling sometimes.
    There is also an over lap from people crying about time gates and those wanting VP back with caps. If that came back it will obviously be followed with crying of time gating.