Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Flower Milk View Post
    Why do they do this?
    You made the classic mistake that the game is made for you only. It is not. Not everyone is sensible. Look at alcoholism. There is no law to limit how much you can consume.

I level a character to max and it's a fun time, and when I hit max level I'm met with some world quest chores to meet my goals of unlocking flying, allied races, better gear, etc. Cool. But then I start doing those chores, and the game is like "that's all the progress/WoW you can play for today, come back tomorrow". Why doesn't Blizzard trust me to play their game more? Why do they put these weird parental control time gated progress walls everywhere? I feel like I'm playing a mobile phone game and I'm about to be asked to pay real money to bypass these time gated progress walls.

I'm a grown adult Blizzard, I can play your game for as long as I feel like it/have the time and still attend to my IRL responsibilities, you don't need to restrict my play time like this by putting everything behind a time gate. I'm not going to stop playing your game either because I've met my goals faster than you've intended me to, that's crazy. You still have so much more for me to do once I've unlocked flying, allied races, etc like making alts, collecting mounts/pets/transmogs and so much else, you do not need to heavily time gate everything like this to try to keep me playing for longer. All it does is just burn me out on the game and make me NOT want to play the game at all anymore because I'm so sick and frustrated with all these time gates everywhere.

Why do they do this?
    Players have to be protected from themselves. They think they are "forced" to play unhealthy amounts of time.

I level a character to max and it's a fun time, and when I hit max level I'm met with some world quest chores to meet my goals of unlocking flying, allied races, better gear, etc. Cool. But then I start doing those chores, and the game is like "that's all the progress/WoW you can play for today, come back tomorrow". Why doesn't Blizzard trust me to play their game more? Why do they put these weird parental control time gated progress walls everywhere? I feel like I'm playing a mobile phone game and I'm about to be asked to pay real money to bypass these time gated progress walls.

I'm a grown adult Blizzard, I can play your game for as long as I feel like it/have the time and still attend to my IRL responsibilities, you don't need to restrict my play time like this by putting everything behind a time gate. I'm not going to stop playing your game either because I've met my goals faster than you've intended me to, that's crazy. You still have so much more for me to do once I've unlocked flying, allied races, etc like making alts, collecting mounts/pets/transmogs and so much else, you do not need to heavily time gate everything like this to try to keep me playing for longer. All it does is just burn me out on the game and make me NOT want to play the game at all anymore because I'm so sick and frustrated with all these time gates everywhere.

Why do they do this?
    When you ask, why blizzard doesn't trust you to play their game? What exactly are you talking about? Are you banned from the game and unable to play anymore?

IF they didn't trust you, you'd be banned and prohibited from playing the game. The simple fact that you are still playing, shows that they in FACT trust you to play. :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Players have to be protected from themselves. They think they are "forced" to play unhealthy amounts of time.
    *In recent news..wow gamer dies from not eating/not going to the hospital because they gamed while they were very sick...then blizz gets a bad rep cause of what happened to the gamer* Heaven forbid people blame their poor health on a game due to playing said game *too much*. :P
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

The game allows you to play casually (log in, get bigger reward than average, log out) or hardcory (play m+ and so on).
    Your playstyle isn't really supported.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

The solution is to do a variety of content. You get more azerite power and essences that way as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by owbu View Post
    The game allows you to play casually (log in, get bigger reward than average, log out) or hardcory (play m+ and so on).
    Your playstyle isn't really supported.
    Bigger rewards than average =?

- - - Updated - - -

I think the OP needs gamer friends or get RL friends to game with him. Maybe meet a gamer girl/boy and game together. That's how many spend their game time, with friends/guildmates or a partner.

I'm a grown adult Blizzard
    Nice Lonely Island reference there. Did you also throw it on the ground?

Why do they do this?
    They want to protect you from burning out and unsubbing after the first month, basically a lesson learned over the past 15 years of releases.
    In addition, they want to artificially extend the time they keep you subbed. The normal customer curve after new expac always spikes and then starts to drop off after the first month - there's lot of money to be made, if you can get all those people to sub one extra month.

Everything is good with moderation, even WoW. So play something else during the downtime, eh? Variety is good.

The irony of this is what I've been waiting for.

Every other expansion everyone bitches and moans about either A) having limits on what they can do. "Why cant I do all the dailies I want to do? Why cant I grind rep as long as I want? Why cant I get rewards more than once a day?"" or B) "omg blizzard I have to play so much to keep up, the grind is endless and I hate it"

Every time.

You better fuckin believe by the end of Shadowlands or by the following expansion, everyone is gonna be bitching like OP is bitching.

Quote Originally Posted by sirmalta View Post
    The irony of this is what I've been waiting for.

Every other expansion everyone bitches and moans about either A) having limits on what they can do. "Why cant I do all the dailies I want to do? Why cant I grind rep as long as I want? Why cant I get rewards more than once a day?"" or B) "omg blizzard I have to play so much to keep up, the grind is endless and I hate it"

Every time.

You better fuckin believe by the end of Shadowlands or by the following expansion, everyone is gonna be bitching like OP is bitching.
    haha not this gamer. I find it more constructive to play a different game or find something to do outside of game when i get to that point. Instead of coming on here and crying about it, my time and energy could be used in positive ways.

I find it entertaining that grown players QQ about situations like this. Go out and find a gf/bf or find a new one!
    next thing you know blizz will ask *Don't you all have social lives?*

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Uh what is the secret, because It's been WAYYY more than 2 weeks and I don't have all reps exalted.
    Do every single wq every day, fully max out zones, do emissaries and assaults.

Crazy right.

Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    Bigger rewards than average =?

- - - Updated - - -

I think the OP needs gamer friends or get RL friends to game with him. Maybe meet a gamer girl/boy and game together. That's how many spend their game time, with friends/guildmates or a partner.
    Yeah, that wasn't the best description

I meant "casual gameplay is tuned around the idea that you only play a little each day. So "casual rewards" are tuned to make those people feel like they can keep up and don't miss a lot.
    If you want to play more than your emissaries, your daily bg and your warfront (and so on), you can't just keep grinding casual content. You have to....find friends and do actual content.
    (So basically what you said :P)
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

10+ Year Old Account
    Weekly limits were 9000x better than dailies. And stop cuckolding WoW you disgusting fanboys its a legitimate complaint.

Unsurprising to see the BDF out in full force this thread.

"Everything is the player's fault, nothing is wrong with any of Blizzard's design decisions..."

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    There is also an over lap from people crying about time gates and those wanting VP back with caps. If that came back it will obviously be followed with crying of time gating.
    We'll see how the reaction goes in Shadowlands if they go through with that cap on Anima for each week. I bet it will be just as you described

OP, the question you should be asking is "Why doesn't Blizzard trust me to stay subbed once they remove time-gating?" The answer to that question is most would not, therefore their logic to have time-gating!

10+ Year Old Account

Why do they do this?
    Nothing about trust.

They do it to keep the locust at bay and to keep people subscribed longer, it's a business after all.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by owbu View Post
    Yeah, that wasn't the best description

I meant "casual gameplay is tuned around the idea that you only play a little each day. So "casual rewards" are tuned to make those people feel like they can keep up and don't miss a lot.
    If you want to play more than your emissaries, your daily bg and your warfront (and so on), you can't just keep grinding casual content. You have to....find friends and do actual content.
    (So basically what you said :P)
    True. You can't get ahead if you play a little each day. Some players have families, social lives..etc Grinding stuff mindlessly gets boring as f@@k. I've been there, i took weeks/days off a time cause i felt like it was boring. I haven't had my wow account for about 2 months. I started playing FF 14 for a change. I still read up on the wow news from time to time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ErrandRunner View Post
    OP, the question you should be asking is "Why doesn't Blizzard trust me to stay subbed once they remove time-gating?" The answer to that question is most would not, therefore their logic to have time-gating!
    Yep..time gating prolongs game time, thus keeping you subbed longer. If gates were removed, players would get bored and sub to other games i'm sure. It's like once a raid comes out and all wings available, hardcore raiders/guilds flash through content..get their achs..loot..etc then stop playing awhile due to rushing through end game so fast.

before "timegating": god, i hate having to no-life these grinds just to stay competitive. do something blizz!!!
    after "timegating": god, i hate not getting to no-life these grinds as much as i want. do something blizz!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scottyjscizzle View Post
    And what if you feel m+ is a annoying waste of time that was shoved in to make up for their lack of actually engaging dungeons by making them "harder" and timed in order to push player engagement when it was waning? and instead would rather do world content and would prefer to not be told after a point said content was pointless due to a timegate?
    Some things are gated behind daily/weekly, some are not. It has been like that for fucking 15 years. Get over yourself.

Why do they do this?
    Because they don't want governments to step in, now or in a future where said governments understand this stuff better, to tell them that their game is unhealthy because it encourages no-lifing the game. That's why everything is in daily and weekly bursts, so they can point to their designs and say "all perfectly healthy, we incentivize short sessions mr government man!"

That and yeah, sub fees for longer.

They don't trust you not to no-life the game and cause problems for them because... well because of threads like this where you ask for the right to efficiently no-life the game. The option to keep playing is there, but the design doesn't encourage that through time gating and burst rewards on a timer. On purpose.
    Last edited by Omedon; 2019-12-09 at 08:25 AM.