Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Mechagodzilla is some anime level shiz.

Do people actually watch those older movies sober?

The 1960’s and 1970’s in Japan was a whole other beast. MechaG as a concept was right in line with the whole giant robot craze.

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    The 1960’s and 1970’s in Japan was a whole other beast. MechaG as a concept was right in line with the whole giant robot craze.
    omg yes!
    Johnny Sokko and His Flying Robot
    Ultraman
    Space Giants
    Those I watched religiously when I was just a wee...weeeee!

Mechagodzilla is some anime level shiz.

Do people actually watch those older movies sober?

As a person who spent more time watching these old Godzilla movies when I was a lil' child, yes I watch them sober. AND I am so happy that the oldies prior to Return of Godzilla are on HBO Max because I get to watch them again!

Anyone know where I can watch the Heisei series? (from Godzilla vs Biollante onward til vs Destroyer)

However; I watched the original Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla for the first time last night (I only ever watched Terror of Mechagodzilla in the past because I didn't have access to the first one), and... it kinda sucks. lol It's like they tried combining the Godzilla franchise with a James Bond(ish) international Spy thriller and it just does not work. I mean, the monster fight is alright (for its time period).

Looking forward to Godzilla vs Kong.

Someone at work made a little sign in their work area to mark your vote for Kong or Godzilla when this movie was announced. I think the score was something like Kong 2 Godzilla 13. I’m now reconsidering my vote for Godzilla.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post
    However; I watched the original Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla for the first time last night (I only ever watched Terror of Mechagodzilla in the past because I didn't have access to the first one), and... it kinda sucks. lol It's like they tried combining the Godzilla franchise with a James Bond(ish) international Spy thriller and it just does not work. I mean, the monster fight is alright (for its time period).

The original Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla is considered one of the weaker movies of the Showa Era of Godzilla films. Once Godzilla began being marketed towards kids as a hero, the movies started to become zaney. Considering ones like "Godzilla's Revenge" and "Godzilla vs the Smog Monster" were really, really fucking weird, 'Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla' and 'Terror of MechaGodzilla' were very weak.

But MechaG snapping Anguirus' jaw in the beginning still haunts me. As well as the scenes of the alien gorillas.

One redeeming factor for me was the saxophone/70's jazz music score.

BUT... I prefer them to the Hesei Era remake of Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    I remain amused by the bizarre worldbuilding around the monsters. For some reason the Navy is still using big gun battleships in this universe, alongside F-22 and F-35s. Maybe 16' guns are useful against monsters? (Maybe if they had modern turrets and targeting systems, but that one was clearly a WWII Iowa Class).

Overall I am kind of confused as to what purpose the military actually serves in this setting. In a world where the military has known about Monsters of this scale for at least half a century, they remain completely incapable of fighting them. Sure, I am sure they probably deploy Mecha-Godzilla or something, but that doesn't explain sticking a Nimitz Class carrier right next to a giant monkey that has personally pissed off the resident force of nature.
    Don't overthink it. The military hardware is here to make ineffectual explosions and then explode itself when the monster turns its attention towards it. You have two massive creatures each weighting who knows how many thousands of tons duking it out on an aircraft carrier without the poor thing shattering, reality is obviously out to lunch here.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    But MechaG snapping Anguirus' jaw in the beginning still haunts me. As well as the scenes of the alien gorillas.
    And Godzilla spurfing streams of blood out of his neck. Kid me was all "WTF?!?!"
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Don't overthink it. The military hardware is here to make ineffectual explosions and then explode itself when the monster turns its attention towards it. You have two massive creatures each weighting who knows how many thousands of tons duking it out on an aircraft carrier without the poor thing shattering, reality is obviously out to lunch here.
    Haha, I know. Another fun thing to look at is that when one of those creatures lunges, they can cover about half the length of the carrier in less then a second. Which puts their movement speed as solidly supersonic, so expect lots of sonic booms from these creatures just moving around.

Really big creatures scale really weird in physics. Same problem with Kong falling at about the same rate proportionally as a human would. Since in reality big objects do not fall faster then small objects (Minus effects of wind resistance, which would be effectively canceled out by increased mass due to square cube law), Kong would appear to float down really gently after he jumps a few hundred feet in the air. It wouldn't be floating down of course, he would be falling about the same speed as a human, but it takes a human 7 or 8 seconds to fall from 200 meters, instead of the 1-2 seconds it apparently takes Kong when he jumps as high as a city office building.

Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    Haha, I know. Another fun thing to look at is that when one of those creatures lunges, they can cover about half the length of the carrier in less then a second. Which puts their movement speed as solidly supersonic, so expect lots of sonic booms from these creatures just moving around.
    If you really want to ruin things, I recall someone doing the math (square-cube law) on Kong's original size and came up that Kong's body temp should be around 50 (+ or - 3) Fahrenheit.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    If you really want to ruin things, I recall someone doing the math (square-cube law) on Kong's original size and came up that Kong's body temp should be around 50 (+ or - 3) Fahrenheit.
    I mean if you're wondering what the body temperature of the giant ape is, you're probably not doing it right.

Carrier does stick out because they can fight anywhere but they choose a damn boat? Screams of America patriotism you get in every movie "our military are the best military our carrier are sturdy enough to house monster battles!" non sense.

Carrier does stick out because they can fight anywhere but they choose a damn boat? Screams of America patriotism you get in every movie "our military are the best military our carrier are sturdy enough to house monster battles!" non sense.
    Jesus fucking Christ, dude. Crawl out of your own ass for 5 seconds before you post in a thread talking about a movie where giant monsters punch eachother in the face, would you?

They're fighting on a carrier because Godzilla...you know...the giant radioactive monster that's constantly fighting things in/around the water...attacks them while they're transporting Kong somewhere by sea.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Jesus fucking Christ, dude. Crawl out of your own ass for 5 seconds before you post in a thread talking about a movie where giant monsters punch eachother in the face, would you?

[im

They're fighting on a carrier because Godzilla...you know...the giant radioactive monster that's constantly fighting things in/around the water...attacks them while they're transporting Kong somewhere by sea.
    Lol.

Sorry commander. I didnt mean to disrespect the best military in the world!

Lol.

It's not about "disrespecting the military", it's about acting like the usage of the boat is supposed to imply "our military is the best military" when any person with an IQ in the double digits would be smart enough to understand that they're using the boat cause they wanted a fight in the water and transporting Kong by boat is how they get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Two versions filmed; US version Kong wins; Japan's version Godzilla wins.
    thats just a myth lol,kong won in both,the only difference in usa was that they added a godzila roar,wile in japan it was just kong roar being heard,i guess they just wanted to make sure people knew he lived

- - - Updated - - -

Lol.

they iz not leading by example of power....but...by the power of dem examples! #que images of military power display#
    Last edited by deenman; 2021-01-26 at 04:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    It's not about "disrespecting the military", it's about acting like the usage of the boat is supposed to imply "our military is the best military" when any person with an IQ in the double digits would be smart enough to understand that they're using the boat cause they wanted a fight in the water and transporting Kong by boat is how they get there.
    And anyone with double digit IQ would realise hundreds of tonnes jumping around a ship would sink it instantly and kong would drown in the depths of the ocean.

And anyone with double digit IQ would realise hundreds of tonnes jumping around a ship would sink it instantly and kong would drown in the depths of the ocean.
    It's a movie about a 300 foot Gorilla fighting a 300 foot Atomic-Fire breathing Dragon and you're concerned about realism...

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    It's a movie about a 300 foot Gorilla fighting a 300 foot Atomic-Fire breathing Dragon and you're concerned about realism...
    totally. I expect my giant ape vs giant reptile to be completely realistic.

Gravity and physics are off the cards because "ItS a mOnsTEr MOViE bRoOoO"

hahah you guys can at least be original if you're gonna be mindless zealot's.

I never said omg movie ruined because boat physics are ignored. Its just dumb. You can make a giant monster movie and ground it in reality so its even better but nah who needs standards. Lets pretend the 4th film in this random as fuck run where the 4th film that no one actually asked for or showed up to support in the earlier films and that would have been cancelled if they waited to see profits from the earlier movies and hadnt already been shot by the time godzilla king of monsters had released and just needed post shooting cgi etc
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2021-01-26 at 07:15 AM.

So which is it? Are you outraged over the military propaganda (in a series of films where the military is constantly getting their ass handed to them), or are you outraged over the lack of proper physics (in a series of films featuring giant monsters that would collapse into massive piles of flesh under their own weight if they were actually real)?

Either way you should probably get the fuck over it.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    So which is it? Are you outraged over the military propaganda (in a series of films where the military is constantly getting their ass handed to them), or are you outraged over the lack of proper physics (in a series of films featuring giant monsters that would collapse into massive piles of flesh under their own weight if they were actually real)?

Either way you should probably get the fuck over it.
    Maybe they can ice skate on top of trump tower. I mean why not physics dont matter just switch your brain off broooooo

And lets not pretend american flags dont pop up in these monster movies. I still havent recovered from michael bay's transformer movies. I think those had at least 15 american flags per movie quota