Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    THE GOVERNMENT THE USSR WAS SUPPORTING WAS NOT ELECTED!!!!! Its that simple. There was no democratic vote putting them in power, there was no democratic vote to keep them in power.
    Wrong on all counts, but I suppose that's good as it means you've been arguing because you don't understand the history rather than you just want to argue silly points.

Not only was the government of Afghanistan that the US overthrew legitimacy elected via democratic elections, but it was a coalition government as the Soviet backed party didn't have a majority so relied on other parties for power sharing, and in addition they even opted to hold seats vacant in the House of Representatives and the Senate for the US backed rebels in the hope they would stand down their campaign and join in the governing of Afghanistan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Wrong on all counts, but I suppose that's good as it means you've been arguing because you don't understand the history rather than you just want to argue silly points.

Not only was the government of Afghanistan that the US overthrew legitimacy elected via democratic elections, but it was a coalition government as the Soviet backed party didn't have a majority so relied on other parties for power sharing, and in addition they even opted to hold seats vacant in the House of Representatives and the Senate for the US backed rebels in the hope they would stand down their campaign and join in the governing of Afghanistan.
    Dear god, you have a very Soviet view of the Soviet overthrow of a very unpopular non-democratic government. Obviously there is no point on discussing this further.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Dear god, you have a very Soviet view of the Soviet overthrow of a very unpopular non-democratic government. Obviously there is no point on discussing this further.
    Jesus Christ what is with you and reading what you want to see instead of what is written. I am not denying that the USSR overthrew the government of Afghanistan and put it's own puppet regime in place, I have never denied that in fact I have even mentioned/condemned it.

My point (which I have already made crystal clear) was that that puppet government later turned around and turned the country into a democracy, implementing free elections in which it was replaced by a multi-party democratically elected government. THAT is the government that the US later overthrew via the Islamic militants they armed/funded, NOT a puppet state but a democratically elected government ruling in the interest of the people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jesus Christ what is with you and reading what you want to see instead of what is written. I am not denying that the USSR overthrew the government of Afghanistan and put it's own puppet regime in place, I have never denied that in fact I have even mentioned/condemned it.

My point (which I have already made crystal clear) was that that puppet government later turned around and turned the country into a democracy, implementing free elections in which it was replaced by a multi-party democratically elected government. THAT is the government that the US later overthrew via the Islamic militants they armed/funded, NOT a puppet state but a democratically elected government ruling in the interest of the people.
    In 1986, maybe, but at that point the war had been going on with the USSR supporting a puppet government for 7 years. And it was only ruling in the interests of the hand full of cities it controlled, which is the whole reason there was a civil war.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Dear god, you have a very US view of the US-backed overthrow of a very unpopular democratic government. Obviously there is no point on discussing this further.

This can be so easily turned around.
    Oh I have full knowledge of the US' part of the war, but I do not expect our resident sleeper KGB agent to admit to the Soviet's part.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I do not expect our resident sleeper KGB agent to admit to the Soviet's part.
    You mean like this bit?
    the USSR overthrew the government of Afghanistan and put it's own puppet regime in place
    Hate to break it to you but being critical of both Russia the USA and my own country and holding all to account doesn't make me a Soviet spy, it just makes me balanced.

Oh I have full knowledge of the US' part of the war, but I do not expect our resident sleeper KGB agent to admit to the Soviet's part.
    Did the Soviet government install a government which legalized heroin production and child rape? No. Then the Soviets were better by default.

- - - Updated - - -

You mean like this bit?

Hate to break it to you but being critical of both Russia the USA and my own country and holding all to account doesn't make me a Soviet spy, it just makes me balanced.
    Sgree, Having the SU as your moral threshold is indicative that you are already morally bankrupt.

10+ Year Old Account
    You mean like this bit?

If you had bothered to pay attention to my post, you would know I was not talking about you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by questlope View Post
    Did the Soviet government install a government which legalized heroin production and child rape? No. Then the Soviets were better by default.

- - - Updated - - -

Sgree, Having the SU as your moral threshold is indicative that you are already morally bankrupt.
    Neither was better. A return to pre 1978 politics would have been better, as it was balanced around the reality of the country. A powerful central government has no place in current Afghanistan, they are not ready for it.