Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    What counter measures has there been since tbc?
    Tbc was the only one that had the guards that literally shot you down from the sky
    what did wotlk, cata, mop, wod, legion, and bfa 8.1 have?

also i mean its not "A false myth" people have literally always done numlock pointed to where they are going then alt tab and watch something, checking back every so often, or going pee real quick, etc. so many people have done that, and so many have done that too long and ended up in the ocean dead.

- - - Updated - - -

Good thing is you dont need pathfinder for these locations!
    Meant as general design.

Personally I don't afk flying, and if I can fly from get-go AND get to dodge & avoid stuff in the air like a minigame, then hell to the yes!
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Keep people in range for the ol' Net o Matic 9000!
    The range on that thing is nuts as is haha

Blizzard is just trying to do more punish proflyers. There trying to make flying unejoyable. The same team that brought us flying, think only 2 are still there working on wow.The current devs need to accept that there never gonna get players to not want flying. Even new players will see it , try it in older zones and end up enjoying flying. Honestly not in any rush to preorder the expansion.

What counter measures has there been since tbc?
    Tbc was the only one that had the guards that literally shot you down from the sky
    what did wotlk, cata, mop, wod, legion, and bfa 8.1 have?
    MoP had those small horde vs alliance areas added in a patch with flying guards that would dismount you if you weren't careful. Always liked those areas, but the concept never really took off.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaHandsB View Post
    MoP had those small horde vs alliance areas added in a patch with flying guards that would dismount you if you weren't careful.
    That was just the 2 bases in karasrang wilds though wasnt it?
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

I AFK fly all the time, I'm en route from CoT to AQ as I type this. :P Frankly, for all of Blizzard's talk, there really aren't enough FPs and an endless pet peeve of mine is the lack of direct routes. Maybe they did get rid of the overtly scenic paths from vanilla (mostly), but they still force you to go through connecting FPs (almost as bad) instead of offering more direct connections, which is the main reason I usually opt to numlock+AFK.

Quote Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
    Blizzard is just trying to do more punish proflyers. There trying to make flying unejoyable. The same team that brought us flying, think only 2 are still there working on wow.The current devs need to accept that there never gonna get players to not want flying. Even new players will see it , try it in older zones and end up enjoying flying. Honestly not in any rush to preorder the expansion.
    This, basically. I actually don't think flying is that great it's just better than FPs. I prefer waypoints like Suramar & Argus had. I just don't understand how WoW can have such a large game world and make traversing it such a pain in the ass. Even if they only made it so you could individually teleport to meeting stones (instead of having to be summoned) that would be amazing. IMO, if Blizzard wants to get rid of flying so bad they need to adopt a (generous) global waypoint system.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

IDK if yall have been on the PTR, but over the zones that are under invasion, these giant worms fly around above the map, and approaching them gives you stacks of a long debuff reducing flight speed, 30% per, and if you get even closer they will 1 shot you.
    Here is some clips from the streamer/youtuber SoulSoBreezy for examples.

https://clips.twitch.tv/RacyTangentialBasenjiUncleNox https://clips.twitch.tv/InspiringJollyPenguinPlanking https://clips.twitch.tv/OilyTrustworthyJamTwitchRaid

What is your guys opinions on things like this being added in the future to make flying a bit more active instead of just, numlock then afk.
    Maybe things like these could be added instead of pathfinder, so that flying isnt just a right out upgrade, as you risk being taken down while in the sky.

This also includes the hovercrafts flying around mechagon, although those are much less noticeable.
    -Added third video, it happened again.-
    This is the most iditoic approach Blizzard could take and they did it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Dreamer View Post
    This is the most iditoic approach Blizzard could take and they did it.
    How so? 10/
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Seems fine to me, so long as they're avoidable and don't force me to the ground. Similar to what they did in Mechagon.

I
    What is your guys opinions on things like this being added in the future to make flying a bit more active instead of just, numlock then afk.
    Maybe things like these could be added instead of pathfinder, so that flying isnt just a right out upgrade, as you risk being taken down while in the sky.

This also includes the hovercrafts flying around mechagon, although those are much less noticeable.
    -Added third video, it happened again.-
    BFA is my least played Xpac to date, and I struggle to keep playing past the anniversary event, partly because Blizzard just keeps breaking or taking away things I like or they add more and more annoyances to the point where the game isn't fun but a chore to play. So if I'm still around when 8.3 drops, I'll see what its like. If it turns out to be just another chore zone like Nazjatar, then I guess I'll be off doing something else til shadowlands.

But hey it is their game, their vision for what is best for the game, so they can have at it.

Sometimes the moment the game registers you as flying those creatures will target you and from a good ways off. An other times they wont even bother you as you are flying. As for the de-buff, well thats broken lol..

I'm liking it, though I feel like they should lose interest if you touch the ground before they get too close (they should still chomp you if they're right on your heels), or make it to the "safe" area. The slowing debuff seems like it does a good job making you feel more and more helpless as it starts to gain on you (and it's more noticeable than having it speed up to catch you) which I find amusing.

I'm sure Blizz will nerf them to oblivion once people start intentionally dragging them to questgivers though.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Myth? I’ve been doing it since wrath and know my friends use auto run/fly as well.
    The point was about afking and numlock, not auto-running in itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlFromThePit View Post
    Having no gameplay is considered being afk, like people saying LFR is afking. It's just a saying used to describe something that is grossly lacking in gameplay, not seriously saying people are stepping away from the computer.

- - - Updated - - -

200% what the game needs. There's no reason flying should be a braindead activity. Now they just need to give us a way to fight back like give flying mount a skill to use in the air, or something like that. We spend so much time outside of gameplay area in this game, it's just normal to make it more active.
    Well, to me AFK is really AFK. If I'm there and actively flying (i.e. controlling my character in flight) that's different. I do get what you mean but that's not really different from riding across open ground except, as you note, that sometimes the ground has mobs whereas the air never has aside from Mechagon.

This solution has always been my answer to the silly, Bashiok-inspired "flying removes danger" objection to flight. Fine, add danger then. Either in the form of flying mobs or anti-aircraft weapons or both, depending on the situation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I AFK fly all the time, I'm en route from CoT to AQ as I type this. :P Frankly, for all of Blizzard's talk, there really aren't enough FPs and an endless pet peeve of mine is the lack of direct routes. Maybe they did get rid of the overtly scenic paths from vanilla (mostly), but they still force you to go through connecting FPs (almost as bad) instead of offering more direct connections, which is the main reason I usually opt to numlock+AFK.
    But if you're really afk, who cares if the route is scenic aside from the slight extra time it takes?

PS - for all of the "but I AFK" replies I'm talking about really AFKing, that is not paying attention at all either because you're off grabbing a beer, taking a piss etc or tabbed out entirely. Not just pressing Numlock but watching your character as it flies. And yes, you CAN do this on some routes, e.g. Darn to Gadget, but not most intrazone routes because you're across most zones in 30-60secs.
    Last edited by clevin; 2019-12-10 at 07:41 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    I don't like this approach. I would rather see something like a cooldown or limited duration on flying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatman View Post
    I don't like this approach. I would rather see something like a cooldown or limited duration on flying.
    Oh HELL NO. That would be crap. Fly to a place, get a quest, mount up and you see "Wait 5 minutes to fly"? Or you're flying and you get "Land now or you'll be dismounted in 5 seconds?" Think about that.

Making flying more involving and active is fine. Putting restrictions on it sheerly as punishment is bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    The Aerial HK units in Mechagon kinda already try to suppress flying, but it is a minor inconvenience so far.

Generally I would have to experience it to judge - I mean..after all it could be Pathfinder PLUS such a system ^^
    And if you have the hardmode mount they don't even shoot you lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bwgmon View Post
    I'm liking it, though I feel like they should lose interest if you touch the ground before they get too close (they should still chomp you if they're right on your heels), or make it to the "safe" area. The slowing debuff seems like it does a good job making you feel more and more helpless as it starts to gain on you (and it's more noticeable than having it speed up to catch you) which I find amusing.
    They don't lose interest if you sit on the ground? That would suck. I hoped they worked similarly to the Mechagon flying guys.

Doesn't seem right that they would persist to chase you when you land, (punished for doing the thing they want you to do which is be on the ground) even if you dismount, yet them instantaneously unleashing if you do would be gamed to make them non threats. If they do unleash on ground but it takes a while this fixes a lot of that, and would make it more interactive than a corpse run, which is exactly the same gameplay as flying (auto-path alt tab with no engagement). Class abilities that drop combat like invis, vanish, feign, meld, etc. should probably work like raid bosses where it works if you do it early and far enough, but if they're inside or on top of you it's too late, depending on how numerous these things are. Whale Shark or Deathwing burning zones feels like the kind of ideal frequency, as those worked well back then.