Page 1 of 21
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Blizzard countering flying, your opinion.

IDK if yall have been on the PTR, but over the zones that are under invasion, these giant worms fly around above the map, and approaching them gives you stacks of a long debuff reducing flight speed, 30% per, and if you get even closer they will 1 shot you.
    Here is some clips from the streamer/youtuber SoulSoBreezy for examples.

https://clips.twitch.tv/InspiringJollyPenguinPlanking https://clips.twitch.tv/OilyTrustworthyJamTwitchRaid (First clip got copyright claimed and deleted... oof)

What is your guys opinions on things like this being added in the future to make flying a bit more active instead of just, numlock then afk.
    Maybe things like these could be added instead of pathfinder, so that flying isnt just a right out upgrade, as you risk being taken down while in the sky.

This also includes the hovercrafts flying around mechagon, although those are much less noticeable.
    -Added third video, it happened again.-

https://clips.twitch.tv/OpenTallJellyfishPhilosoraptor
    Third clip.
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2019-12-12 at 05:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    IDK if yall have been on the PTR, but over the zones that are under invasion, these giant worms fly around above the map, and approaching them gives you stacks of a long debuff reducing flight speed, 30% per, and if you get even closer they will 1 shot you.

https://clips.twitch.tv/RacyTangentialBasenjiUncleNox https://clips.twitch.tv/InspiringJollyPenguinPlanking

What is your guys opinions on things like this being added in the future to make flying a bit more active instead of just, numlock then afk.
    First, how many people really AFK while flying? It would work for really long flights but if you're flying from, say, Darnassus to Gadget you take a taxi if you're smart. If you are flying from one place to another in the same zone AFKing will almost certainly see you overshoot your destination. unless you're just tabbing out really quick. So, to me, that's not a really issue.

On topic - I like this kind of mechanic if and only if they give us flight sooner. I've never heard an anti flight argument that really holds up but if they feel it removes too much danger for the player then fine, put dangers in the air. They do this in Mechagon and it's kind of cool.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    First, how many people really AFK while flying? I mean, if you're flying from Darnassus to Gadget, you take a taxi if you're smart. IF you are flying from one place to another in the same zone AFKing will almost certainly see you overshoot your destination. So, to me, that's not a really issue.

On topic - I like this kind of mechanic if and only if they give us flight sooner. I've never heard an anti flight argument that really holds up but if they feel it removes too much danger for the player then fine, put dangers in the air. They do this in Mechagon and it's kind of cool.
    One of the good things to mention, is since these are old world zones, you dont need pathfinder to fly in these zones, so even people without pathfinder will have to worry about these guys flying around, and as obvious, those also with pathfinder.

Gonna be annoying to those not careful. But it's good.

https://clips.twitch.tv/RacyTangentialBasenjiUncleNox https://clips.twitch.tv/InspiringJollyPenguinPlanking

The part about afking makes it unclear if you mean flying on a flying mount, or on a flight-path.

Afking on a flying mount has been a bad idea since TBC, due to flying guards and the risk that you overshoot the target and die. You also miss the opportunity to appreciate the terrain - or take detours.
    Afking on a flight-path has been the default since classic.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    Gonna be annoying to those not careful. But it's good.
    Seems its gunna encourge people who are flying to fly closer to the ground, instead of just going high up and numlocking, which is nice, as these tings do fly pretty high up, so if your near the ground your fine, but the moment your too high they are pretty much everywhere.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    The part about afking makes it unclear if you mean flying on a flying mount, or on a flight-path.

Afking on a flying mount has been a bad idea since TBC, due to flying guards and the risk that you overshoot the target and die. You also miss the opportunity to appreciate the terrain - or take detours.
    Afking on a flight-path has been the default since classic.
    afking on flying mount, many people will numlock and then alt tab to something (or watch their secodn screen) and then just look back every so often to see how close they are.
    also alot of people once they have experianced a zone dont care about appreciating the terrain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't really bother me one way or another. I honestly think limiting how high you can fly has no real negative effect on the game. Most of the time I fly I am somewhat near the ground anyway.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I want flying removed all together but if they aren’t gonna do that they should just leave it alone and not make it an announce.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    First, how many people really AFK while flying? It would work for really long flights but if you're flying from, say, Darnassus to Gadget you take a taxi if you're smart. If you are flying from one place to another in the same zone AFKing will almost certainly see you overshoot your destination. unless you're just tabbing out really quick. So, to me, that's not a really issue.

Having no gameplay is considered being afk, like people saying LFR is afking. It's just a saying used to describe something that is grossly lacking in gameplay, not seriously saying people are stepping away from the computer.

- - - Updated - - -

200% what the game needs. There's no reason flying should be a braindead activity. Now they just need to give us a way to fight back like give flying mount a skill to use in the air, or something like that. We spend so much time outside of gameplay area in this game, it's just normal to make it more active.

Not a fan on of it.

The only mechanic that i've found remotely interesting in regards to flying were those Kaliris in Skettis and those Anti Air cannons at Ogri'la, because it felt like a bit of a gimmick related to the Sha'tari skyguard, which obviously were related to the concept of flying.

Blizzards attempts at somehow putting the genie back into its bottle doesn't really work.

I liked it best when Blizzard simply embraced flying like in Wotlk.
    I simply don't buy this "experience the zones from the ground nonsense", Northrend remains the most visually appealing continent to me, with Storm Peaks still being my favorite zone in WoW.

And that zone embraced flying, because the zone was designed around it and thus super massive, not like those small, crammed up zones filled with (world)quest areas to the brim they've been doing since WoD.

Remember when Blizzard designed content around flying like the Netherwing + Dragonmaw race?
    Not claiming it was the holy grail of content, but better than Blizzard treating flying like some sort of leper.
    Last edited by Kralljin; 2019-12-10 at 06:24 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    The Aerial HK units in Mechagon kinda already try to suppress flying, but it is a minor inconvenience so far.

Generally I would have to experience it to judge - I mean..after all it could be Pathfinder PLUS such a system ^^
    Yes i almost forgot about them!

I don't mind the mechanic during something like these timed events which are meant to feel threatening and a big deal but I'd much rather have the pathfinder approach for unlocking and using flying.

Rather have this than Pathfinder.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Quote Originally Posted by Littleraven View Post
    Doesn't really bother me one way or another. I honestly think limiting how high you can fly has no real negative effect on the game. Most of the time I fly I am somewhat near the ground anyway.
    Keep people in range for the ol' Net o Matic 9000!

afking on flying mount, many people will numlock and then alt tab to something (or watch their secodn screen) and then just look back every so often to see how close they are.
    also alot of people once they have experianced a zone dont care about appreciating the terrain.
    And they therefore use a flight-path - since there have been counter-measures since TBC.

You are just spreading a false myth about numlock+afking.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Keep people in range for the ol' Net o Matic 9000!
    i want to be able to shoot up to 200-300 yards to troll the fun out of it...

7+ Year Old Account
    And they therefore use a flight-path - since there have been counter-measures since TBC.

What counter measures has there been since tbc?
    Tbc was the only one that had the guards that literally shot you down from the sky
    what did wotlk, cata, mop, wod, legion, and bfa 8.1 have?

also i mean its not "A false myth" people have literally always done numlock pointed to where they are going then alt tab and watch something, checking back every so often, or going pee real quick, etc. so many people have done that, and so many have done that too long and ended up in the ocean dead.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    Rather have this than Pathfinder.
    Good thing is you dont need pathfinder for these locations!

this is a better option than pathfinder, imo.

i don't really fly high anyway. always very close to the ground and i never really afk fly either. too many trips out into the ocean while doing that.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Myth? I’ve been doing it since wrath and know my friends use auto run/fly as well. Why in the world would any one not use it when just flying from point A to B.

It's a nice step in the right direction. I'd love for the skies to become much more dynamic, such that blizzard doesn't need to restrict flying to have interesting world content.