Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT take action on email prompts. ESPECIALLY when they also provide a link.

If you are in real legal trouble, you will be served a notice, in paper. Then you can think about what to do.

Emails are almost always a scam, and even if they're not, they might be an attempt at getting you to pay for next to no effort. Very often it would cost them more to get a fine from you than the fine itself, and so if you ignore their emails they'll drop it and not bother.

If they have a legitimate case, they'll follow proper procedure. Paper, registered letters, personally served notices, all that. Not email links.

Quote Originally Posted by philandjims View Post
    click on a link and to pay the fine.
    You never do that.

Quote Originally Posted by NtflxnChill View Post
    Yeh i'm sure you didn't torrent anything, just like everyone who got banned never actually cheated.
    You tried so hard to shitpost and literally no one acknowledged you. Hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by philandjims View Post
    Sorry about the bump. As requested here's the new thread.

I received tons of notices from rightscorp for notices I had nothing to do with. No torrent on my computers and no files they're looking for. I'm guessing my wifi was hacked or IP address spoofed. The message is telling me to click on a link and to pay the fine. First of all I didn't torrent anything. Second, it seems that it would be entrapment and admitting guilt if I pay.

I'm wondering if I should ignore the notices. Has anyone gone thru this and what was your result? Someone people have gone thru this many years ago and I wanted to find out how things turned out.
    All I needed to know, just ignore, likely scammer. NEVER ever press a link in a mail and any serious entity would put this in the e-mail as well

post the exact verbiage of the email or a screen shot? sounds like a new form of the sextortion emails. As for securing your network, strong password make sure your router (or any device connected on the network) isn't using default passwords, keep connected devices updated, and have some form of end point security (windows defender works for PCs). If you are really curious learn how to use wireshark and see what's going on.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

It's probably some scammer in india.

ignore anything that isn't given to you in person, say, by a sheriff in your town.

outside that, it's a game they want you to play in which they rigged in their favor.

but unless they're knocking on your door, ignore it. Don't even call or write back. Throw it away. Live your life normally.

10+ Year Old Account
    Key thing here to remember is to ignore it, and NEVER acknowledge it. The moment you do is when they'll go harder on you as they think they got you. Unless you're served paper by an officer or lawyer, you do nothing. I've even seen letters in the mail that say they're taking you to court so please call us now. All scams that are trying to extract free money from you. If you did get a real copyright notice then ignore that as well and change passwords or get a VPN. I had a FIOS wifi router that someone was always connecting to it using my computers IP, which preventing my PC from browsing the internet. I've changed the Wifi password so many times and they kept connecting again, until I just turned off the wifi and used another router.