Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

8 Hour Maintenance? How, Why?

8 hours seems a bit excessive to implement a 15 year old patch with a bit of new code.

Yep and we get no compensation in any way, they should halt the timer on our accounts when they do shit like this. If less people put up with it they would compensate more.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Ya and we should get free gold too! And strat ud mounts.

There's a world outside

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaulton05 View Post
    8 hours seems a bit excessive to implement a 15 year old patch with a bit of new code.
    you wanted the vanilla experiance didnt you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

its not just classic, remember its part of the bnet network, which today is hearthstone expansion along with battlegrounds release, so its likely to do with network maintenance more then game maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by toffmcsoft View Post
    There's a world outside

NO THERE'S NOT!! IMMERSION, SIR!!!! /s

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Yep and we get no compensation in any way, they should halt the timer on our accounts when they do shit like this. If less people put up with it they would compensate more.
    lol people have put up with it for 15 years, so nothing gunna change, you accept your sub time is compromised by matinences and downages, if they are too bad blizz will refund, but nah 8 hour matinence for a vanilla patch was the norm.

your paying for a sub for wow, you arnt unable to play wow, just wow classic, go play wow for now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you not play in vanilla? 6-8 maintenance windows were quite common, and were often longer during patch days.

Either way, you'll live.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Did you not play in vanilla? 6-8 maintenance windows were quite common, and were often longer during patch days.

Either way, you'll live.
    plus EVERY tuesday there was atleast an hour reset downtime.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another fine example of living up to the 'entitled gamer' stereotype.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    plus EVERY tuesday there was atleast an hour reset downtime.
    Yep.

/10chars

Maintenance began fridays at 9am and was mostly scheduled until 1pm. Sometimes servers were on at like 4pm and it always lagged a couple hours even into saturday.

Blizzard would have to sabotage themselves to recreate the vanilla experience.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Shame I was hyped up to spend all afternoon trying to find a Gnomer group.

Ah well not like anyone would be running dungeons today anyway.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    lol people have put up with it for 15 years, so nothing gunna change, you accept your sub time is compromised by matinences and downages, if they are too bad blizz will refund, but nah 8 hour matinence for a vanilla patch was the norm.

your paying for a sub for wow, you arnt unable to play wow, just wow classic, go play wow for now.
    This is why they need to have multiple ways to buy time, time that is only used while you are playing or unlimited for a much larger fee. I would be completely fine buying 12 hours for a few bucks at a time if they only ticked down while playing for example. That is the true way to give people freedom.

- - - Updated - - -

Another fine example of living up to the 'entitled gamer' stereotype.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep.

/10chars
    Not really, don't charge 20 a month if they are going to pull BS like this with no compensation. Yes I know it has "been going on forever" that does not make it a sound and ethical business practice.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

This is why they need to have multiple ways to buy time, time that is only used while you are playing or unlimited for a much larger fee. I would be completely fine buying 12 hours for a few bucks at a time if they only ticked down while playing for example. That is the true way to give people freedom.

- - - Updated - - -

Not really, don't charge 20 a month if they are going to pull BS like this with no compensation. Yes I know it has "been going on forever" that does not make it a sound and ethical business practice.
    You paid for a WoW sub, WoW is still online and playable, only Classic is down for a while. So really, they don't owe you anything. Unless you'd prefer they split the subs, so you have to pay for both WoW and Classic if you want to play both...

Quote Originally Posted by Steelcryo View Post
    You paid for a WoW sub, WoW is still online and playable, only Classic is down for a while. So really, they don't owe you anything. Unless you'd prefer they split the subs, so you have to pay for both WoW and Classic if you want to play both...
    Ya, 10$ per sounds plenty fair since they make so vastly much more from subs than they need, like in 1 month their costs for the year are completely covered for both development and server maintenance.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Eyy they ended early, big surprise.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Certainly not looking for compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by toffmcsoft View Post
    There's a world outside
    No there is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    its not just classic, remember its part of the bnet network, which today is hearthstone expansion along with battlegrounds release, so its likely to do with network maintenance more then game maintenance
    That makes sense I guess. Thank you.

Either way, you'll live.
    Yeah, quite common 15 years ago, and no I think I'm dying.

10+ Year Old Account
    8 hour mainteance in blizzard-speak means its either 2 or 16 hours.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Nothing new, was even longer back in the day.

#nochanges hun, sorry.