View Poll Results: Best WoW Expansion of THIS decade?

Voters
797. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cataclysm

    55 6.90%
  • Mists of Pandaria

    401 50.31%
  • Warlords of Draenor

    26 3.26%
  • LEGION

    298 37.39%
  • Battle for Azeroth

    17 2.13%
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ...
6
14
15
16
17
18
... LastLast
  1. #301
    Mists or Legion. Loved both. Though, I think mythic+ makes legion pull ahead for me.

  2. #302
    Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    BfA so far, Legion was absolute garbage, MoP was memorable but ultimately nothing to do for looong time.
    this is the first time i see someone saying BFA is best expasnion.

    Anyway in my opinion BFA is still better than cata

  3. #303
    Quote Originally Posted by Polybius View Post
    There was a lot to do in MoP but it's the least memorable imo purely out of flavor. The theme wasn't gothic fantasy and the mechanics evolved adds/trash fights to new heights of annoying.
    What was there to do in MoP, tell me cause I really don't know and I been there, done nearly everything except PvP. Raids/dungeons/farm/pets(celestial tournament)/scenaros/brawlgar arena/timeless isle/proffesions. Almost everything.

    And I don't consider that as "a lot to do" because most of these experiences except for heroic raids (when mythic wasn't even out) was either a boring grind OR fun for max 1 week.

    What was real fun content that lasted more than week for me at least was raids, timeless isle and battle pets. Oh and new class cause obviously new class gives a lot of replay value to old stuff.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Druitz View Post
    this is the first time i see someone saying BFA is best expasnion.

    Anyway in my opinion BFA is still better than cata
    It's simple, a lot of issues of legion was fixed. And legion was first modern expansion (M+, secrets, WQ, battle pet dungeons).
    And not first, there was a couple in this thread already, plus you will see this a lot when shadowlands comes. When the coolaid kids hatewagon ends.

    I just have extremely good memory, even tho I started in MoP i still remember pretty much everything that happened back them.

  4. #304
    I've voted for Legion as I did not play during MOP. I was one of the "if they release a panda expansion then I am not playing" people. Seems that was a huge mistake on my part as when leveling through it to catch up to WOD, I thought it looked and felt amazing. Oh well. :P
    Back to your bridge, you evil Troll!

  5. #305
    Stood in the Fire Bildur's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Denmark but now Canada
    Posts
    435
    For me it was MoP.

    The main story/theme was great. I'd argue the most "mature" expansion story wise. The zones were beautiful, the quests fun ... and you unlocked flying upon reaching max level as it should be

  6. #306
    Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    No dude, Legion was hated probably the most. I havent seen bigger shitstorm on forum than legiondary softcap, and actually contender was camera changes, multiple capped threads about it. Both happened in legion. I don't even need to start how alt and offspec unfriendly it was.
    Legion still did very favorable in these kind of polls even when it was current.

  7. #307
    Mechagnome Pakheth's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    The cold hell known as Norway
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    What was there to do in MoP, tell me cause I really don't know and I been there, done nearly everything except PvP. Raids/dungeons/farm/pets(celestial tournament)/scenaros/brawlgar arena/timeless isle/proffesions. Almost everything.

    And I don't consider that as "a lot to do" because most of these experiences except for heroic raids (when mythic wasn't even out) was either a boring grind OR fun for max 1 week.

    What was real fun content that lasted more than week for me at least was raids, timeless isle and battle pets. Oh and new class cause obviously new class gives a lot of replay value to old stuff.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I just have extremely good memory, even tho I started in MoP i still remember pretty much everything that happened back them.
    Okay what is your problem. You have asked this question like 3 times now and several people in this thread have listed the content they enjoyed. Are you just looking for validation?

    Lemme tell you something. I was without a job for most of MoP and those things you listed kept me busy and sane those two years and I played A LOT. I don't know wtf you did but if you think all of that content was easily and quickly consumed by most people then you are wrong.
    MoP was also the expansion I leveled all my characters to max because all the classes were fun to play so I guess if you only played one character you could miss out on a lot of fun.
    WoD on the other hand made me quit less than a month in due to the severe lack of content I enjoy. Says a lot doesn't it?

    So too bad MoP wasn't enough to keep your brain busy but it did for a lot of others. Stop racking down on their experience to validate yours.

  8. #308
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakheth View Post
    Okay what is your problem. You have asked this question like 3 times now and several people in this thread have listed the content they enjoyed. Are you just looking for validation?
    No because people said there was so much to do yet no one gave reasonable list. At least one that has more stuff than recent 2 expansions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pakheth View Post
    Lemme tell you something. I was without a job for most of MoP and those things you listed kept me busy and sane those two years and I played A LOT.
    You see the problem? It was your "salvation" that is why you remember it as being best. It has nothing to do with cold hard facts aka rose-tinted glasses.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pakheth View Post
    I don't know wtf you did but if you think all of that content was easily and quickly consumed by most people then you are wrong.
    MoP was also the expansion I leveled all my characters to max because all the classes were fun to play so I guess if you only played one character you could miss out on a lot of fun.
    I have all classes at max level since MoP. I usually play 3-4 each expansion but I upkeep all of them because I am author of MaxDps addon so I need them at least for tests. Oh and I did 36 mage towers in legion, all specs. Right now I have 14 at 120, double hunter, double druid.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pakheth View Post
    WoD on the other hand made me quit less than a month in due to the severe lack of content I enjoy. Says a lot doesn't it?
    It actually doesn't say a thing. WoD and MoP had comparable amount of content MINUS one patch, it was cut in half expansion.

    You had pretty much the same things except scenarios (which were boring anyways) and farm. Tell me, what content did MoP had while WoD didnt (except farm and scenarios).

    Quote Originally Posted by Pakheth View Post
    So too bad MoP wasn't enough to keep your brain busy but it did for a lot of others. Stop racking down on their experience to validate yours.
    No, I just know there wasn't much to do on MoP, you just don't remember how people complained by content droughts back then.

  9. #309
    Can people stop spreading this panda bullshit? Pandas are not the main reason why people don't vote mop or didn't like it. MoP was the pinnacle of class homogenization, pinnacle of repeatable content, pinnacle of repeatable raid themes and repeatable scenarios.

    People might like that sure, people love being able to have the same tools on every spec they play, I totally get that feeling, but that gives us no room for niches and depth and there are many of us that wants that in a class design. That is a main reason why Legion is much more popular compared to BfA. Artifact and legendaries and focus on spec gave us more niche, more depth but going over to BfA we lost so much of on many classes and specs. If you lose your 1-3 niche abilities and utility from one expansion to the next, in this case Legion to BfA it just doesn't feel good.

    That is the reason why they are unpruning in Shadowlands. When you remove stuff like that and don't add anything like in BfA, it do "fail". If they continued the artifact weapon or at least added the active abilities and passives to baseline, BfA would have been more popular, because in BfA they reduced the grind significantly and tuned down TFs, something a portion of the playerbase wanted. I didn't see a lot of people complaining about artifact weapon. 9 of 10 players that I have been talking to the last 3 years loved the Artifact weapon and what it gave us. It's praise, praise and more praise. Blizzards biggest mistake that they removed it and took away what it gave us. Just look at all the active abilities we lost.

    Fury of the Illidari, Mark of Aluneth, Fury of the Eagle, Tyr's Deliverence, Windburst, Crystalline Swords, Sheiluns Gift, Curse of the Dreadblades, Odyn's Fury, Light of T'uure just to name a very few, many iconic abilities just gone and barely any of them got replaced or came with the specs in BfA.
    Horde bad, smash monkey. Who is a good monkey? You are!

    Wrath of The Bolvar too big for this forum. 10.0 confirmed?

  10. #310
    MoP, unsurprisingly considering it's the best expansion period.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    Can people stop spreading this panda bullshit? Pandas are not the main reason why people don't vote mop or didn't like it. MoP was the pinnacle of class homogenization, pinnacle of repeatable content, pinnacle of repeatable raid themes and repeatable scenarios.

    People might like that sure, people love being able to have the same tools on every spec they play, I totally get that feeling, but that gives us no room for niches and depth and there are many of us that wants that in a class design. That is a main reason why Legion is much more popular compared to BfA. Artifact and legendaries and focus on spec gave us more niche, more depth but going over to BfA we lost so much of on many classes and specs. If you lose your 1-3 niche abilities and utility from one expansion to the next, in this case Legion to BfA it just doesn't feel good.

    That is the reason why they are unpruning in Shadowlands. When you remove stuff like that and don't add anything like in BfA, it do "fail". If they continued the artifact weapon or at least added the active abilities and passives to baseline, BfA would have been more popular, because in BfA they reduced the grind significantly and tuned down TFs, something a portion of the playerbase wanted. I didn't see a lot of people complaining about artifact weapon. 9 of 10 players that I have been talking to the last 3 years loved the Artifact weapon and what it gave us. It's praise, praise and more praise. Blizzards biggest mistake that they removed it and took away what it gave us. Just look at all the active abilities we lost.

    Fury of the Illidari, Mark of Aluneth, Fury of the Eagle, Tyr's Deliverence, Windburst, Crystalline Swords, Sheiluns Gift, Curse of the Dreadblades, Odyn's Fury, Light of T'uure just to name a very few, many iconic abilities just gone and barely any of them got replaced or came with the specs in BfA.
    Class design in Legion was fucking atrocious(and still is in BfA). They set up rules that said each spec should have strengths and weaknesses, and then they created specs like Havoc, Fury, Arms, Affliction, Marksmanship and Balance that did everything extremely well(usually with the same build, maybe a swapped legendary here and there). At least in MoP (nearly) every spec had a functioning, well-rounded kit, in Legion only some specs got that while the rest were just inferior.
    Specs are also the most homogenized in terms of gameplay that they've been since Classic/TBC 1 button "rotations" in Legion/BfA.

    Most of the artifact abilities you listed we're glorified "do damage" buttons comparable to essences in their interaction/depth. Odyn's Fury was just current Dragon Roar with a different visual in terms of gameplay.
    Last edited by Tradu; 2019-12-15 at 12:17 PM.
    Monkashuffle
    <Arctic Avengers>
    Ravencrest-EU

  11. #311
    MOP/legion.

    Both felt fully fleshed out and not like they wanted to abandon ship half way through.

  12. #312
    Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    That is the reason why they are unpruning in Shadowlands. When you remove stuff like that and don't add anything like in BfA, it do "fail". If they continued the artifact weapon or at least added the active abilities and passives to baseline, BfA would have been more popular, because in BfA they reduced the grind significantly and tuned down TFs, something a portion of the playerbase wanted. I didn't see a lot of people complaining about artifact weapon. 9 of 10 players that I have been talking to the last 3 years loved the Artifact weapon and what it gave us. It's praise, praise and more praise. Blizzards biggest mistake that they removed it and took away what it gave us. Just look at all the active abilities we lost.

    Fury of the Illidari, Mark of Aluneth, Fury of the Eagle, Tyr's Deliverence, Windburst, Crystalline Swords, Sheiluns Gift, Curse of the Dreadblades, Odyn's Fury, Light of T'uure just to name a very few, many iconic abilities just gone and barely any of them got replaced or came with the specs in BfA.
    But you DO realize its a problem of legion not BfA right?
    Because instead of baking it into classed they use A FUKKEN RENTAL POWER GEAR.

    Things like active spells shouldn't have been on gear, they really need to stop doing that.
    WoD - Rent-A-Ring power
    Legion - Rent-A-Weapon power
    BfA - Rent-A-Neck power

    How this should have been handled? Add a fukken talent tier.

    Legion artifacts would have been good if not for AP farming, their overall power (it was ridiculously overpowered compared to rest of the gear).
    And the fact they turned iconic weapons into something common.

  13. #313
    The second half of MoP closely followed by the second half of Legion.

  14. #314
    Really depends on your own experiences. To me pre-flexible raiding was the most fun, never been the same since, and in MoP i played the most fun spec ever, an elemental shaman. So MoP it is for me.

  15. #315
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradu View Post
    Class design in Legion was fucking atrocious(and still is in BfA). They set up rules that said each spec should have strengths and weaknesses, and then they created specs like Havoc, Fury, Arms, Affliction, Marksmanship and Balance that did everything extremely well(usually with the same build, maybe a swapped legendary here and there). At least in MoP (nearly) every spec had a functioning, well-rounded kit, in Legion only some specs got that while the rest were just inferior.
    Specs are also the most homogenized in terms of gameplay that they've been since Classic/TBC 1 button "rotations" in Legion/BfA.

    Most of the artifact abilities you listed we're glorified "do damage" buttons comparable to essences in their interaction/depth. Odyn's Fury was just current Dragon Roar with a different visual in terms of gameplay.
    1-button "rotation", funny. Not like it was any different in MoP if we are at that level. Glorified "do damage" buttons, just like in every expansion in other words.

    I disagree completely, but hey, that's what humans do. I played every class and most specs in Legion, that they were not the same is what gives class design depth. Not like in MoP when for example ranged damage played exactly the same across the board. Homogenization like we had in MoP was something they luckily went away from, I mean even classes in WoD had more depth and different playstyles compared to MoP. That they all had a well-rounded kit was it's downfall.

    I could have listed 30+ more artifact abilities, both active and passive abilities that had interaction with the spec itself in Legion, and that was the thing that made most spec very playable. Legendaries and artifact weapon was in fact a part of the class design. That it took time to get there is a valid complaint, and as far as I can see, an objectively bad thing. But for players who played regularly, we had those good things most of the expansion. There were negatives for sure, like every expansion.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    But you DO realize its a problem of legion not BfA right?
    Because instead of baking it into classed they use A FUKKEN RENTAL POWER GEAR.
    It's a BfA problem seeing they didn't take those abilities into this expansion. They could have taken those abilities and spells into BfA you know, it's the same as arcane mages "forgetting" fire spells. We learned a lot of those abilities, but we forgot them somehow. It was based on the Artifact sure, but lore could have explained it.

    But if we are going to be real, it's something that happens too many times sadly, from expansion to expansion, not gonna disagree there.
    Horde bad, smash monkey. Who is a good monkey? You are!

    Wrath of The Bolvar too big for this forum. 10.0 confirmed?

  16. #316
    Brewmaster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    Posts
    1,481
    MoP's on a category of its own if you are limiting it to just a decade. The second place is just so far behind that you can't even see which it is.
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

    "If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn

  17. #317
    Grunt
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Not far enough.
    Posts
    22
    Legion definetly was the best expansion for me.
    I'd go as far as name it the best expansion wow had overall.

  18. #318
    BFA, objectively, by a country mile.

  19. #319
    Immortal TJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    7,625
    Cata was my favourite in a lot of aspects. I didn't play all of MoP, but I did enjoy some of that, too. Cata seemed better for me, though.

  20. #320
    Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    1-button "rotation", funny. Not like it was any different in MoP if we are at that level. Glorified "do damage" buttons, just like in every expansion in other words.

    I disagree completely, but hey, that's what humans do. I played every class and most specs in Legion, that they were not the same is what gives class design depth. Not like in MoP when for example ranged damage played exactly the same across the board. Homogenization like we had in MoP was something they luckily went away from, I mean even classes in WoD had more depth and different playstyles compared to MoP. That they all had a well-rounded kit was it's downfall.

    I could have listed 30+ more artifact abilities, both active and passive abilities that had interaction with the spec itself in Legion, and that was the thing that made most spec very playable. Legendaries and artifact weapon was in fact a part of the class design. That it took time to get there is a valid complaint, and as far as I can see, an objectively bad thing. But for players who played regularly, we had those good things most of the expansion. There were negatives for sure, like every expansion.

    - - - Updated - - -


    It's a BfA problem seeing they didn't take those abilities into this expansion. They could have taken those abilities and spells into BfA you know, it's the same as arcane mages "forgetting" fire spells. We learned a lot of those abilities, but we forgot them somehow. It was based on the Artifact sure, but lore could have explained it.

    But if we are going to be real, it's something that happens too many times sadly, from expansion to expansion, not gonna disagree there.

    I disagree with your disagreement. Do you know a bit about Demonology Warlock rotation in mop? here's really a tip of the iceberg, its too long for a fullwriteup here, google it and mop-veins if you really want the full depth:

    You use shadowbolt, hand of guldan dot (stacking at the last second combined with demon form), corruption and fast-soulfire stacks to generate fury. You use fury to, at any point you desire, transform into a demon, which empower your abilities but makes them cost fury until you run out. You can also revert back at any time, giving you an unprecedent amount of control over your damage profile. The abilities are also not strictly "stronger" in a simple sense, they enhance the normal rotation. Shadowbolt becomes instant, but does only slightly better dps overall, and extends corruption, which is the biggest advantage. Hand of Guldan actually loses the dot and becomes overally weaker, but the damage is instant and thus burstier for snap aoe. Corruption becomes Doom, a seperate, 1 min dot which hits hard every 15 sec, meaning you always wanna go into demon form at the start of the fight to apply it, and you also want it to extend corruption through the aftermentioned instant shadowbolt, giving a ton of room for intelligent and efficent usage. Soulfire stayed the same, but demonform had a 20% damg buff so if you had nothing else to refresh soulfire spam in demonform was your highest dps moments, often saved for vulnerability phases or priority adds. The amount of control and decision making you have in comparison to bfa's affliction or enh shaman or dh is staggering.

    Destruction was somewhat similar to today, but the aoe portion was much better designed, independant on talents, and fairly deeper (not rocket-science deeper, but you could use resources to turn either immolate, incinerate or conflagrate into aoe effects, with all 3 being the proper choice depending on the situation, today it's "use soulshards on rain of fire, use aoe talents on cd". most classes aren't much better off in bfa, maybe beside unholy dk and bfa demonology).

    affliction had a similar rotation (mop haunt and bfa unstable are pretty similar in overall design), but you could use your resources for so many other things. Beside a TON of utility through Soulburn (enhance one of your utility spells at the cost of a soulshard, meaning at the cost of dps), you could use Soulburn:Soulswarp to instantly apply 3 dots to a target, giving much more options for affliction for bursting without actually being better at it than diehard bursters like today's dh. Choices breed possibility for mistakes. Possibility for mistakes allow you to feel good when you learn and improve. We don't have nearly as much of it today. I agree legion was better than bfa, its almost makes sense for bfa design to come sooner and legion to be the "polished" version, but mysteriously it went the opposite way. But alas, legion was also much less complex then most classes in mop, and prolly wod too which was similar to mop for many speccs.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •