Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    I very much doubt the Discless PS5 will be under $400. Component cost for the PS5 is rumored to be $450+
    Well, the S is far more than just a discless X, it has lower specs overall, no reason sony can't answer that

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Well, the S is far more than just a discless X, it has lower specs overall, no reason sony can't answer that
    You're right... They can.

In like a year. There's been zero rumors of a cut down PS5. It takes time to design thing, manufacture them and ship them.

PS5s and Xboxs are already on ships to the US. If they had something they'd have shown it. There are just too many parts of the supply chain to fully hide a completely new console that is going to release in a few months.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're right... They can.

In like a year. There's been zero rumors of a cut down PS5. It takes time to design thing, manufacture them and ship them.

PS5s and Xboxs are already on ships to the US. If they had something they'd have shown it. There are just too many parts of the supply chain to fully hide a completely new console that is going to release in a few months.
    Err... they've already announced it.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps.../1100-6478342/
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Err... they've already announced it.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps.../1100-6478342/
    That's the same console, just no optical drive. There's been no indications that there are any hardware changes beyond that.

Though honestly, unless the Series S (man Microsoft has THE WORST FUCKING BRANDING for their consoles) is a runaway smash hit, Sony probably won't feel any pressure to R&D a budget version of the console.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    That's the same console, just no optical drive. There's been no indications that there are any hardware changes beyond that.

Though honestly, unless the Series S (man Microsoft has THE WORST FUCKING BRANDING for their consoles) is a runaway smash hit, Sony probably won't feel any pressure to R&D a budget version of the console.
    I think I'd just wait if I didn't have the cash (I'm waiting anyway, but that's mostly because our consoles are generally only used for netflix and gaming only on occasion), why buy an inferior system when we KNOW they'll be around for the next 7 years or so, save up the extra 2-300 hundred and do yourself a favor people.

I think I'd just wait if I didn't have the cash (I'm waiting anyway, but that's mostly because our consoles are generally only used for netflix and gaming only on occasion), why buy an inferior system when we KNOW they'll be around for the next 7 years or so, save up the extra 2-300 hundred and do yourself a favor people.
    Depends on everyones budgets/needs. Some folks may have a cheaper 4K TV, or still a 1080p TV, and won't care that much about getting the most pretty pixels possible or all the other graphical goodies. They may just want a basic console that can play good lookin games without spending too much, and honestly the $300 option is a homerun for that crowd.

I don't think it's a particularly large or lucrative crowd, they're not gonna be spending big on software and addons, but they still exist.

Depends on everyones budgets/needs. Some folks may have a cheaper 4K TV, or still a 1080p TV, and won't care that much about getting the most pretty pixels possible or all the other graphical goodies. They may just want a basic console that can play good lookin games without spending too much, and honestly the $300 option is a homerun for that crowd.

I don't think it's a particularly large or lucrative crowd, they're not gonna be spending big on software and addons, but they still exist.
    Yea, and a great option for grandma buying for the grand kids :P

Yea, and a great option for grandma buying for the grand kids :P
    There've been a few articles about this topic and...yeah, Microsoft is being real dumb. Just look at what less informed consumers will have to see -

Xbox One
    Xbox One S
    Xbox One X
    Xbox Series X
    Xbox Series S

Pricing isn't going to be radically different between some of them, but what the fuck console is what? Without research, there's no way of knowing and it's very much a Wii/Wii U problem again.

Compared with -

PlayStation 4
    PlayStation 4 Slim
    PlayStation 4 Pro
    PlayStation 5
    PlayStation 5 Digital Edition

Very obvious which is the most recent generation given the 4/5, and additional branding is generally very straightforward (Slim = slim! Pro = better! Digital = digital!)

I mean, I have younger folks I work with whose grandparents bought them the "wrong" console early on in this generation and that was mistaking Xbox for PlayStation, or vice versa. I can only imagine the confusing hell that the latest lineup will unleash.

Not a problem for gamers and folks like us that gobble up all the gaming news we can, but very much going to be confusing when little Jimmy or Jill ask Nanna for the new Xbox for the holidays and she ends up getting an Xbox One S because she doesn't know any better.

There've been a few articles about this topic and...yeah, Microsoft is being real dumb. Just look at what less informed consumers will have to see -

Xbox One
    Xbox One S
    Xbox One X
    Xbox Series X
    Xbox Series S

Pricing isn't going to be radically different between some of them, but what the fuck console is what? Without research, there's no way of knowing and it's very much a Wii/Wii U problem again.

Compared with -

PlayStation 4
    PlayStation 4 Slim
    PlayStation 4 Pro
    PlayStation 5
    PlayStation 5 Digital Edition

Very obvious which is the most recent generation given the 4/5, and additional branding is generally very straightforward (Slim = slim! Pro = better! Digital = digital!)

I mean, I have younger folks I work with whose grandparents bought them the "wrong" console early on in this generation and that was mistaking Xbox for PlayStation, or vice versa. I can only imagine the confusing hell that the latest lineup will unleash.

Not a problem for gamers and folks like us that gobble up all the gaming news we can, but very much going to be confusing when little Jimmy or Jill ask Nanna for the new Xbox for the holidays and she ends up getting an Xbox One S because she doesn't know any better.
    Dude, I think the guy in charge of naming things for MS is the slightly less capable brother of the guy who names things at intel, sure a 10700k is obviously better than a 9700k, but who would name it that?

10+ Year Old Account
    I very much doubt the Discless PS5 will be under $400. Component cost for the PS5 is rumored to be $450+
    While it probably won't go under 400, the difference in financials there to Sony isn't only about the actual disc drive itself, but the fact that people buying such a model will have to get their games through PSN. It cuts out both the second hand market and retailers from the calculation on game sales for all units of that model they sell, and they may be willing to take a bit of an initial loss on that.

So with the specs out does the discless Xbone even have the ram to play soon to be last gen games in xbox one x mode?

10+ Year Old Account

Aye, but removing the optical drive immediately reduces the cost of manufacturing, which is why most gaming journalists/etc that have covered it presume that it will be cheaper.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    So with the specs out does the discless Xbone even have the ram to play soon to be last gen games in xbox one x mode?
    Considering it's $100 cheaper, likely not. But that's not the point of it, if you want the true 4K experience you shell out the extra $100 compared to the One X. The SSD is gonna be a big improvement over the One X though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Aye, but removing the optical drive immediately reduces the cost of manufacturing, which is why most gaming journalists/etc that have covered it presume that it will be cheaper.
    It does, but not by $200. Microsoft also reduced the hardware in the Series S to hit that lower price point. I'm not seeing Sony eating big losses on the digital version, especially when that lowers the value proposition of the non-digital version with identical hardware.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ha! I said exactly the same thing on another site. Their branding is awful.

- - - Updated - - -

Considering it's $100 cheaper, likely not. But that's not the point of it, if you want the true 4K experience you shell out the extra $100 compared to the One X. The SSD is gonna be a big improvement over the One X though.

- - - Updated - - -

It does, but not by $200. Microsoft also reduced the hardware in the Series S to hit that lower price point. I'm not seeing Sony eating big losses on the digital version, especially when that lowers the value proposition of the non-digital version with identical hardware.
    Good points!

Dude, I think the guy in charge of naming things for MS is the slightly less capable brother of the guy who names things at intel, sure a 10700k is obviously better than a 9700k, but who would name it that?
    I still remember when they got all pissy people called it the Xbone. like how dare we.

Seems MS are going to be only a service provider by the end of this next gen, I would expect its the fact they got completely stomped this gen by ps4 and switch.

The One X is discontinued the only Xbox One model MS is still manufacturing for the holiday season is the One S. One X and One SAD are both dead because they have replacements. One S just staying around so they have a $150-200 model for this holiday.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ill probably just go ahead and get it because it has a finance thing and i dont think ill be able to pre order a ps5 on amazon

I would say so, the underlying ram should be faster along with the gpu and storage system having better compression and decompression techniques applied to it.

Also the system should be faster at dealing with throughput of data through out the whole system in comparison, I think only time issues arise is when you get a asset which file size exceeds 8gb in one go, but don't think we have seen that in a game yet.

There are some games that are the exceptions but they are special exceptions but the only one that comes to mind is the new MS flight simulator but thats a game thats trying to generate well the world.

The XBone X used polaris which had very little compression on the data applied, Navi 2 is meant to use more compression and variable rate shaders.

I doubt it if only because it's not meant to be a 4k machine but you should still get a performance boost.