Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ...
11
19
20
21
22
23
... LastLast
  1. #401
    So with the specs out does the discless Xbone even have the ram to play soon to be last gen games in xbox one x mode?
    http://theeorzeanfrontier.blogspot.co.uk/ Neckbeard rambling about this weeaboo trash

  2. #402
    Old God Mirishka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Get off my lawn!
    Posts
    10,668
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    That's the same console, just no optical drive. There's been no indications that there are any hardware changes beyond that.

    Though honestly, unless the Series S (man Microsoft has THE WORST FUCKING BRANDING for their consoles) is a runaway smash hit, Sony probably won't feel any pressure to R&D a budget version of the console.
    Aye, but removing the optical drive immediately reduces the cost of manufacturing, which is why most gaming journalists/etc that have covered it presume that it will be cheaper.
    My greatest fear is that one day, my MMO-Champion ignore list will run out of space.

  3. #403
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    So with the specs out does the discless Xbone even have the ram to play soon to be last gen games in xbox one x mode?
    Considering it's $100 cheaper, likely not. But that's not the point of it, if you want the true 4K experience you shell out the extra $100 compared to the One X. The SSD is gonna be a big improvement over the One X though.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Aye, but removing the optical drive immediately reduces the cost of manufacturing, which is why most gaming journalists/etc that have covered it presume that it will be cheaper.
    It does, but not by $200. Microsoft also reduced the hardware in the Series S to hit that lower price point. I'm not seeing Sony eating big losses on the digital version, especially when that lowers the value proposition of the non-digital version with identical hardware.

  4. #404
    Old God Mirishka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Get off my lawn!
    Posts
    10,668
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Pricing isn't going to be radically different between some of them, but what the fuck console is what? Without research, there's no way of knowing and it's very much a Wii/Wii U problem again.
    Ha! I said exactly the same thing on another site. Their branding is awful.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Considering it's $100 cheaper, likely not. But that's not the point of it, if you want the true 4K experience you shell out the extra $100 compared to the One X. The SSD is gonna be a big improvement over the One X though.

    - - - Updated - - -



    It does, but not by $200. Microsoft also reduced the hardware in the Series S to hit that lower price point. I'm not seeing Sony eating big losses on the digital version, especially when that lowers the value proposition of the non-digital version with identical hardware.
    Good points!
    My greatest fear is that one day, my MMO-Champion ignore list will run out of space.

  5. #405
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Dude, I think the guy in charge of naming things for MS is the slightly less capable brother of the guy who names things at intel, sure a 10700k is obviously better than a 9700k, but who would name it that?
    I still remember when they got all pissy people called it the Xbone. like how dare we.

  6. #406
    Seems MS are going to be only a service provider by the end of this next gen, I would expect its the fact they got completely stomped this gen by ps4 and switch.

  7. #407
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Considering it's $100 cheaper, likely not. But that's not the point of it, if you want the true 4K experience you shell out the extra $100 compared to the One X. The SSD is gonna be a big improvement over the One X though.
    The One X is discontinued the only Xbox One model MS is still manufacturing for the holiday season is the One S. One X and One SAD are both dead because they have replacements. One S just staying around so they have a $150-200 model for this holiday.

  8. #408
    Weeb Queen Video Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Portland (send help)
    Posts
    14,335
    Ill probably just go ahead and get it because it has a finance thing and i dont think ill be able to pre order a ps5 on amazon

  9. #409
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    So with the specs out does the discless Xbone even have the ram to play soon to be last gen games in xbox one x mode?
    I would say so, the underlying ram should be faster along with the gpu and storage system having better compression and decompression techniques applied to it.

    Also the system should be faster at dealing with throughput of data through out the whole system in comparison, I think only time issues arise is when you get a asset which file size exceeds 8gb in one go, but don't think we have seen that in a game yet.

    There are some games that are the exceptions but they are special exceptions but the only one that comes to mind is the new MS flight simulator but thats a game thats trying to generate well the world.

    The XBone X used polaris which had very little compression on the data applied, Navi 2 is meant to use more compression and variable rate shaders.

  10. #410
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    So with the specs out does the discless Xbone even have the ram to play soon to be last gen games in xbox one x mode?
    I doubt it if only because it's not meant to be a 4k machine but you should still get a performance boost.

  11. #411
    £449 for the Series X. Was hoping it and the PS5 would be under £400 but I guess not.

  12. #412
    Been searching around and I've been unsuccessful finding an Xbox One X vs Series S comparison aside from me bringing up the specs myself. I imagine trading in the One X for the Series S would be nearly a wash at the Gamestop. Curious what the community thinks and whether nor not the swap to the new hardware is worth it?

    I have an SSD on the One X so load times aren't an issue for me at all.

  13. #413
    Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    Been searching around and I've been unsuccessful finding an Xbox One X vs Series S comparison aside from me bringing up the specs myself. I imagine trading in the One X for the Series S would be nearly a wash at the Gamestop. Curious what the community thinks and whether nor not the swap to the new hardware is worth it?

    I have an SSD on the One X so load times aren't an issue for me at all.
    Series S has Ray tracing. The One X does not.
    Series S will actually provide you benefits for existing games (adding HDR and upscaling older games, higher frame rate etc...).

    Series S also supports quick resume which will allow swapping between multiple games at a time.

    The only negative to the Series S would be the lack of disk drive.

    I don't usually buy a console until midway through a generation as there aren't usually multiple compelling games at launch this generation included.

    YMMV.
    Last edited by kaelleria; 2020-09-10 at 04:38 PM.

  14. #414
    Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    Series S has Ray tracing. The One X does not.
    Series S will actually provide you benefits for existing games (adding HDR and upscaling older games, higher frame rate etc...).

    Series S also supports quick resume which will allow swapping between multiple games at a time.

    The only negative to the Series S would be the lack of disk drive.

    I don't usually buy a console until midway through a generation as there aren't usually multiple compelling games at launch this generation included.

    YMMV.
    This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you. I'm assuming you can probably attach an xbox compatible SSD through USB similar to how you can do it in today's console which is probably what I'll repurpose mine for.

  15. #415
    Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you. I'm assuming you can probably attach an xbox compatible SSD through USB similar to how you can do it in today's console which is probably what I'll repurpose mine for.
    You can... but next gen games cannot be played off an external SSD. It needs to be the internal storage or a velocity storage thing.


    Edit: Another thing to note, Native 4k isn't supported on the Series S. They'll use an upscaling solution with a flavor of machine learning to play games on a 4k display.

  16. #416
    Worst part about the discless consoles is the discless thing. The console vendor gets 100% exclusive access to sell you stuff for the system. No discounted / used / shared games possible, and for us it's a non-strter because our local library gets all the new games that come out so we can just borrow them for free as long as we still have a slot to stuff them in.

    As far as cost goes, the Microsoft All Access plan at $35/month for two years to get an XBOX Series X plus Game Pass Ultimate WITH NO INTEREST seems like a no-brainer, especially if you're already paying $14/month for Game Pass Ultimate...
    Last edited by PixelFox; 2020-09-10 at 05:01 PM.

  17. #417
    Quote Originally Posted by PixelFox View Post
    Worst part about the discless consoles is the discless thing. The console vendor gets 100% exclusive access to sell you stuff for the system. No discounted / used / shared games possible, and for us it's a non-strter because our local library gets all the new games that come out so we can just borrow them for free as long as we still have a slot to stuff them in.

    As far as cost goes, the Microsoft All Access plan at $35/month for two years to get an XBOX Series X plus Game Pass Ultimate seems like a no-brainer, especially if you're already paying $14/month for Game Pass Ultimate...
    They did actually have a plan for converting a disk into a digital entitlement tied to your account, but dropped it due to pushback from retailers.

  18. #418
    I imagine if I get the Series S it will be exclusively for Game Pass and maybe the occasional sale.

  19. #419
    https://www.gamespot.com/articles/it...CAD-01-10abi2f

    A Microsoft spokesperson stated this plainly to Business Insider in December, shortly after the Xbox Series X name was revealed at The Game Awards: "The name we're carrying forward to the next generation is simply Xbox. And at The Game Awards you saw that name come to life through the Xbox Series X. Similar to what fans have seen with previous generations, the name 'Xbox Series X' allows room for additional consoles in the future."
    So now this generation is just "Xbox".



    But not this one, a different one.

    Seriously, Microsoft's approach to branding is back asswards.

  20. #420
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Seriously, Microsoft's approach to branding is back asswards.
    The guy that makes those decisions got dared to make a worse name and message then the Wii U. Series X is not so so bad since they discontinued the One X, but they are literally going to be selling "Xbox One S" and "Xbox Series S" at the exact same time do they think normies will have any fucking clue what the difference is? They really aren't doing a good job of making it clear the Series S is a sub 4k option for next gen to those people, and as a result that mode may very well be DoA.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2020-09-10 at 09:42 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •