Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    A $500 PC will not come close to matching next gen specs until a good 2-3 years into the gen and by that time those consoles will be $300-$400 not $500.

Imagine thinking you could build a 3.6 ghz 8 core, 12 tflops GPU and NVME SSD for $500. You didn't really think this post through did you?
    Well a 3.6ghz 8 core is 300 dollar, a 12 tflops gpu is 350 dollar and a 500gb nvme ssd is 80 dollar. So yeah you are right right now but those consoles will be released next year. So unless Nvidia and AMD will be even slower with releasing their gpu's it's possible you can actually get a pc close to the specs of the next gen consoles the 1st year of that gen for 500 dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Best you can hope for on that is probably game branded versions. Main versions will probably be White for the base and Black for this one that will probably be the more powerful of the two.

Though you can buy wraps and do it yourself.
    Good point with the wraps/skins. I might just do that!

Quote Originally Posted by dapperedodo View Post
    Well a 3.6ghz 8 core is 300 dollar, a 12 tflops gpu is 350 dollar and a 500gb nvme ssd is 80 dollar. So yeah you are right right now but those consoles will be released next year. So unless Nvidia and AMD will be even slower with releasing their gpu's it's possible you can actually get a pc close to the specs of the next gen consoles the 1st year of that gen for 500 dollar.
    Now what the PSU, motherboard, memory, case and OS cost? Oh don't look now but it's $1000 and literally double the cost.

1st year of the gen, don't make me laugh. Pre built PCs only ever get close to console in price/performance when companies do dumb shit like waste costs on garbage like Kinect or Wii U gamepad. There was a reason all those "$500 PC as good as console" comparisons from early last gen where done to the Xbox One which was force bundled with the kinect, and not the PS4 that was stronger then the Xbox One at launch and $100 cheaper. Even then all those failed comparisons usually leave multiple of the above out of price like you just tried to do.

And what people talking about above with Sony/MS selling systems at cost/slight loss is inflated even more when you realize they have great deals from mass ordering parts. Pre Built PCs can't compete in cost, it's basic logic not some magic thing. Like I said before even when a $500 PC is comparable these systems will then be much cheaper then $500.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-12-14 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    You can build a competent 1080p gaming box for 500 dollars.. Won't be pretty and definitely won't last you 6 years, but it can be done.but it can be done. Then the fact comes that the xbox will be primarily designed around 4k
    Ok and that's my point, You can't match what the next gen systems will do at their price range and if 1080p is your goal then you mite as well get a PS4/XB1 because those will be even much cheaper. This holiday you was able to get a XB1 for $99 and a PS4 Slim with 3 games for $200.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dapperedodo View Post
    The SSD that will be in the PS5/XBSeX will be 1TB. Also now add in a ram,case,cooling,windows and so on... You won't be near $500.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2019-12-14 at 11:06 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by ATZenith View Post
    Would be really cool though, since PC/Xbox cross platform is a lot easier these days, both systems being able to play keyboard and mouse will crossplay would bride a gap.
    While I applaud Microsoft for pushing Cross play and also keyboard, mouse support it does bring up an issue.

If Microsoft continue the "All xbox games are going to be in pc through same service." and everyone and their mother's have pcs, what incentive is there to buy this?

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    While I applaud Microsoft for pushing Cross play and also keyboard, mouse support it does bring up an issue.

If Microsoft continue the "All xbox games are going to be in pc through same service." and everyone and their mother's have pcs, what incentive is there to buy this?
    It does hurt Xbox hardware adoption a bit, but windows is also a MS platform and all the games are day and date on gamepass so even if a steam version is available why would you buy it? You wouldn't, unless you like shitting money away. You would just sub to gamepass, and be a part of their eco system on the windows xbox store.

But there will always be people that just want a console in their living room and not a gaming PC, and that's why MS will continue to make them in spite of also supporting windows with their games.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post

The fact is a console is far easier to use for a living room experience than a PC. For families, it's better to have an Xbox plugged into the TV that everyone can easily use than a PC for people to fumble around with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    As someone who worked in marketing, Microsoft needs to fire whoever decided that was an acceptable name, and an acceptable form-factor.

THE NAME:

It's garbage. It's "iPhone 4S". Nothing about it conveys "something NEW". It just sounds like a revised model of something that already exists. Look at the massive fucking failure the Wii U was, for the EXACT same reason. People didn't know it was a new console, they thought it was some add-on for their existing Wii.

THE DESIGN:

It simply doesn't work for most peoples' entertainment centers. As it, it quite literally WILL NOT FIT in most peoples' living room setups. That is a stupid fucking design. I cannot stress enough how massive of a fuck up this really is. People want consoles that that seamlessly integrate into their living rooms. Nobody is going to buy a new fucking entertainment-center or TV stand, simply to appease the design of a console. The form-factor completely disregards the literal space constraints that consoles have to live with. Not unless that thing is perfect safe to sit on its side.
    Meh, the current form hinders decent cooling. This goes for many modern devices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Now what the PSU, motherboard, memory, case and OS cost? Oh don't look now but it's $1000 and literally double the cost.

1st year of the gen, don't make me laugh. Pre built PCs only ever get close to console in price/performance when companies do dumb shit like waste costs on garbage like Kinect or Wii U gamepad. There was a reason all those "$500 PC as good as console" comparisons from early last gen where done to the Xbox One which was force bundled with the kinect, and not the PS4 that was stronger then the Xbox One at launch and $100 cheaper. Even then all those failed comparisons usually leave multiple of the above out of price like you just tried to do.

And what people talking about above with Sony/MS selling systems at cost/slight loss is inflated even more when you realize they have great deals from mass ordering parts. Pre Built PCs can't compete in cost, it's basic logic not some magic thing. Like I said before even when a $500 PC is comparable these systems will then be much cheaper then $500.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    The SSD that will be in the PS5/XBSeX will be 1TB. Also now add in a ram,case,cooling,windows and so on... You won't be near $500.
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FY8jn7 750 dollars, not something I'd recommend building, but that is an 8 core system, at 3.6GHz, with a 12teraflop GPU. Everything else in it is garbage though, hell, I'm not even sure the PSU won't blow up. If you want it to be competent and last you 6 years, then about 900 dollars total.

Just to make sure, I'm agreeing with you guys. In a year the prices will be lower, true, but not 30-50% lower

Ok and that's my point, You can't match what the next gen systems will do at their price range and if 1080p is your goal then you mite as well get a PS4/XB1 because those will be even much cheaper. This holiday you was able to get a XB1 for $99 and a PS4 Slim with 3 games for $200.
    Sometimes I get jealous of the pricing of consoles in the US.. I paid (the equivalent of) 400 dollars for a PS4 pro on sale down from 600. That said, the only reason I got the pro was because the slim was 380 and didn't come with games either

10+ Year Old Account
    As a PC gamer I am glad we're finally getting consoles refresh, because this means that all these ball and chain things that held games back will be lifted quite a bit. Things like closed doors between sections of an area or various unnecessary (for PC) loading screens due to limitations of current gen consoles.

Of course there will be also boosted fidelity and gameplay too with this newfound hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    [750 dollars, not something I'd recommend building, but that is an 8 core system, at 3.6GHz, with a 12teraflop GPU. Everything else in it is garbage though, hell, I'm not even sure the PSU won't blow up. If you want it to be competent and last you 6 years, then about 900 dollars total.

Just to make sure, I'm agreeing with you guys. In a year the prices will be lower, true, but not 30-50% lower
    From your build

Warning!Some AMD A320 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Pinnacle Ridge CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions.
    Warning!Unable to verify the AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor included cooler and the Rosewill RANGER-M MicroATX Mini Tower Case are compatible.
    Note:Gigabyte GA-A320M-S2H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard has an onboard USB 3.0 header, but the Rosewill RANGER-M MicroATX Mini Tower Case does not have front panel USB 3.0 ports.
    Note:Some physical dimension restrictions cannot (yet) be automatically checked, such as cpu cooler / RAM clearance with modules using tall heat spreaders.
    Also your not factoring in the cost of a K&B and Monitor plus windows. Most people will have a TV they can just hook their console too not everyone has a monitor. Now they could use their TV as one (I do with my PC) but you still need the other items.

Sometimes I get jealous of the pricing of consoles in the US.. I paid (the equivalent of) 400 dollars for a PS4 pro on sale down from 600. That said, the only reason I got the pro was because the slim was 380 and didn't come with games either
    That $200 was for a normal model, The Pro was $300 and came with the new Call of Duty. But ya the one thing consoles will always have over building a PC is upfront cost and honestly even games can be cheaper if you try hard enough.

PS+ is $60 a year and is 2-3 games a month. Then if you buy physical you can get 45%+ back via trading it in or selling it yourself.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

IMO the name is shit and the design is meh.

Honestly sounds like apple branding.
    LOL couldn't summirise it better myself there's nothing must-have or revolutionary about new xbox... Plus, I know they could do better, but why, it's easy money for them either way and that's sad.

I honestly feel the naming is going to fuck this system.

Your casual consumer isn't going to know the difference between the Xbox One X and the Xbox Series X. These people will see (Oh the Xbox One X is cheaper and its called a series so clearly its part of it).

This naming is bad and the more I think about it the more stupid it gets.
    I didn’t like the name either, but if u just call it the series X. It’s much better. Saying Xbox series X is kid of redic

Herald of the Titans BarelyLegalBear's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    But ya the one thing consoles will always have over building a PC is upfront cost and honestly even games can be cheaper if you try hard enough.
    Hell, you don't even have to buy games, just use GameFly instead of spending so much on games you'll only play once.

Quote Originally Posted by Nfinitii View Post
    I didn’t like the name either, but if u just call it the series X. It’s much better. Saying Xbox series X is kid of redic
    It isn't better because they already got a system called X.

That would be like if Nintendo called the next Switch the Switch Series or Playstation the Playstation 4 Series.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BarelyLegalBear View Post
    Hell, you don't even have to buy games, just use GameFly instead of spending so much on games you'll only play once.
    Yep that or redbox.

It isn't better because they already got a system called X.

That would be like if Nintendo called the next Switch the Switch Series or Playstation the Playstation 4 Series.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep that or redbox.
    Ultimately it’s just a name, it’s not that big of deal at the end of the day. Not like console names have been that exciting anyways. PlayStation just numbers their consoles in series. Nintendo names theirs is some weird way. Xbox does the same.

I feel like people now a days are just looking for things to bitch about.

Ultimately it’s just a name, it’s not that big of deal at the end of the day. Not like console names have been that exciting anyways. PlayStation just numbers their consoles in series. Nintendo names theirs is some weird way. Xbox does the same.

Actually the name is a very big deal because its a major part of its marketing. The Wii-U fell on its face out the gate because the name was shit.

MS's marketing with this needs to be spot on because the casual customer isn't going to know the difference between a Xbox One X and a Xbox Series X. As someone who works retail and has to sell these things I see this shit daily.

They should have just added a 2 and been done with it. You know the next Playstation is Playstation 5 because of the number, Its simple basic marketing.

Xbox Series X doesn't say shit and makes it sound like the original X. It even makes it sound like the Xbox One X is part of it...

10+ Year Old Account

With Playstation you can very easily tell when a new one is released, just look at the name. Is the number higher? Then it's a new model.
    Same with Nintendo's stuff. They all (except Wii U) have vastly different names, so it's quite easy to tell when it's a new console. The Switch Lite sounds like a Switch, so it's not a new console, it's a refresh. This was also the problem the Wii U suffered from. Why'd I buy the refresh when I can just keep using the original?
    The Xbox Series X sounds an AWFUL lot like a refresh of the Xbox One X. If I'd just stumbled across it in the wild I'd not have blinked twice. Hell, the first time I read the name my brain just filled in "xbox one x" instead of what it actually was, because they're so similar.

Actually the name is a very big deal because its a major part of its marketing. The Wii-U fell on its face out the gate because the name was shit.

MS's marketing with this needs to be spot on because the casual customer isn't going to know the difference between a Xbox One X and a Xbox Series X. As someone who works retail and has to sell these things I see this shit daily.

They should have just added a 2 and been done with it. You know the next Playstation is Playstation 5 because of the number, Its simple basic marketing.

Xbox Series X doesn't say shit and makes it sound like the original X. It even makes it sound like the Xbox One X is part of it...
    Most ppl who play consoles are going to know the difference in the series X vs the Xbox one x. Especially with how easily consumers can find information now a days, otherwise having several different Xbox ones would be more confusing. Xbox one, Xbox one s, Xbox one x etc.

Everyone I know refers to the Xbox one as an Xbox one, not Xbox one s/x. So there might be a little confusion but not nearly as much as I think u believe.

Everyone has been waiting for the gen5 consoles, so most ppl will know there is a difference.

I think the Wii U failed b/c the console performance wasn’t even close to what Xbox and PlayStation were doing and the wii ended up not being as great as what ppl expected. After the gimmick of the Wii remote wore off it was a really annoying system to play on. The Wii U was more same old same old. I didn’t want a Wii U because after the Wii I wanted a more traditional console from nintendo. Even the switch, I’m less interested in the console version and more in its handheld version.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most ppl who play consoles are going to know the difference in the series X vs the Xbox one x.
    But many consoles are purchased by people who are not the users. Parents buying "that xbox thing" for their kids for xmas. I was just in a game stop (they still exist!) and witnessed a clueless parent trying to decide which console and games to buy for their kids. Luckily the guy at the counter actually helped. That won't happen via Amazon etc.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-