Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    £449 for the Series X. Was hoping it and the PS5 would be under £400 but I guess not.

Been searching around and I've been unsuccessful finding an Xbox One X vs Series S comparison aside from me bringing up the specs myself. I imagine trading in the One X for the Series S would be nearly a wash at the Gamestop. Curious what the community thinks and whether nor not the swap to the new hardware is worth it?

I have an SSD on the One X so load times aren't an issue for me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    Been searching around and I've been unsuccessful finding an Xbox One X vs Series S comparison aside from me bringing up the specs myself. I imagine trading in the One X for the Series S would be nearly a wash at the Gamestop. Curious what the community thinks and whether nor not the swap to the new hardware is worth it?

I have an SSD on the One X so load times aren't an issue for me at all.
    Series S has Ray tracing. The One X does not.
    Series S will actually provide you benefits for existing games (adding HDR and upscaling older games, higher frame rate etc...).

Series S also supports quick resume which will allow swapping between multiple games at a time.

The only negative to the Series S would be the lack of disk drive.

I don't usually buy a console until midway through a generation as there aren't usually multiple compelling games at launch this generation included.

YMMV.
    Last edited by kaelleria; 2020-09-10 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    Series S has Ray tracing. The One X does not.
    Series S will actually provide you benefits for existing games (adding HDR and upscaling older games, higher frame rate etc...).

Series S also supports quick resume which will allow swapping between multiple games at a time.

The only negative to the Series S would be the lack of disk drive.

I don't usually buy a console until midway through a generation as there aren't usually multiple compelling games at launch this generation included.

YMMV.
    This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you. I'm assuming you can probably attach an xbox compatible SSD through USB similar to how you can do it in today's console which is probably what I'll repurpose mine for.

This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you. I'm assuming you can probably attach an xbox compatible SSD through USB similar to how you can do it in today's console which is probably what I'll repurpose mine for.
    You can... but next gen games cannot be played off an external SSD. It needs to be the internal storage or a velocity storage thing.

Edit: Another thing to note, Native 4k isn't supported on the Series S. They'll use an upscaling solution with a flavor of machine learning to play games on a 4k display.

Worst part about the discless consoles is the discless thing. The console vendor gets 100% exclusive access to sell you stuff for the system. No discounted / used / shared games possible, and for us it's a non-strter because our local library gets all the new games that come out so we can just borrow them for free as long as we still have a slot to stuff them in.

As far as cost goes, the Microsoft All Access plan at $35/month for two years to get an XBOX Series X plus Game Pass Ultimate WITH NO INTEREST seems like a no-brainer, especially if you're already paying $14/month for Game Pass Ultimate...
    Last edited by PixelFox; 2020-09-10 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PixelFox View Post
    Worst part about the discless consoles is the discless thing. The console vendor gets 100% exclusive access to sell you stuff for the system. No discounted / used / shared games possible, and for us it's a non-strter because our local library gets all the new games that come out so we can just borrow them for free as long as we still have a slot to stuff them in.

As far as cost goes, the Microsoft All Access plan at $35/month for two years to get an XBOX Series X plus Game Pass Ultimate seems like a no-brainer, especially if you're already paying $14/month for Game Pass Ultimate...
    They did actually have a plan for converting a disk into a digital entitlement tied to your account, but dropped it due to pushback from retailers.

I imagine if I get the Series S it will be exclusively for Game Pass and maybe the occasional sale.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/it...CAD-01-10abi2f

A Microsoft spokesperson stated this plainly to Business Insider in December, shortly after the Xbox Series X name was revealed at The Game Awards: "The name we're carrying forward to the next generation is simply Xbox. And at The Game Awards you saw that name come to life through the Xbox Series X. Similar to what fans have seen with previous generations, the name 'Xbox Series X' allows room for additional consoles in the future."
    So now this generation is just "Xbox".

But not this one, a different one.

Seriously, Microsoft's approach to branding is back asswards.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    The guy that makes those decisions got dared to make a worse name and message then the Wii U. Series X is not so so bad since they discontinued the One X, but they are literally going to be selling "Xbox One S" and "Xbox Series S" at the exact same time do they think normies will have any fucking clue what the difference is? They really aren't doing a good job of making it clear the Series S is a sub 4k option for next gen to those people, and as a result that mode may very well be DoA.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2020-09-10 at 09:42 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    If they want to reuse xbox, maybe they should get some good exclusives again xd

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.gamespot.com/articles/it...CAD-01-10abi2f

So now this generation is just "Xbox".

But not this one, a different one.

Imagine if they just called it "Xbox Scarlet" and made it white and red instead of white/black and green? instead of learning nothing from the Wii U.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoriangun View Post
    I would say so, the underlying ram should be faster along with the gpu and storage system having better compression and decompression techniques applied to it.

Also the system should be faster at dealing with throughput of data through out the whole system in comparison, I think only time issues arise is when you get a asset which file size exceeds 8gb in one go, but don't think we have seen that in a game yet.

There are some games that are the exceptions but they are special exceptions but the only one that comes to mind is the new MS flight simulator but thats a game thats trying to generate well the world.

The XBone X used polaris which had very little compression on the data applied, Navi 2 is meant to use more compression and variable rate shaders.
    https://www.gamespew.com/2020/09/xbo...soft-confirms/

This should of been obvious, but no with less memory and a weaker GPU it can not run XOX enhancements in BC mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post

This should of been obvious, but no with less memory and a weaker GPU it can not run XOX enhancements in BC mode.
    I'm not so sure that gpu is actually weaker.

the RX 5700 XT alone shows that the TF measurement on that card skews performance compared to Polaris and even to the Vega GPUs.

The XBX one X may have more CUs but the Navi chip is loads better.

The comparable GPU in the navi line up that exists on desktop right now is the AMD 5500 XT if you want to use CU to CU count.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FksJ...el=GameGangsta

This shows the Equivalent gpu with Navi being better and we are seeing a newer generation of GPU inside the series S.

The hardware is there compared to the XBX one X.

The hardware is there compared to the XBX one X.
    Clearly not since it won't be running One X enhancements...

That technically makes the Xbox One X better than the Series S even tho it has a better CPU. Adds another reason why MS took it off the market.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    That technically makes the Xbox One X better than the Series S even tho it has a better CPU. Adds another reason why MS took it off the market.
    Great news, game lovers can now play hundreds of games belonging to all 4 generations. Simply the fastest console.

Clearly not since it won't be running One X enhancements...
    Thats not confirming the hardware in the series S is inferior, I literally linked you a benchmark of comparable hardware that exists that should in theory show the Series S actually using a more powerful GPU.

Navi is more powerful then Polaris GPU used in the XBXone X.

The link you provided is strange because in another line, it adds;

“Xbox Series S was designed to be the most affordable next generation console and play next generation games at 1440P at 60fps. To deliver the highest quality backwards compatible experience consistent with the developer’s original intent, the Xbox Series S runs the Xbox One S version of backward compatible games while applying improved texture filtering, higher and more consistent frame rates, faster load times and Auto HDR.”

Its enhanced in other areas it seems.

The only thing you're not getting on the Series S is 4k in BC games.

- - - Updated - - -

Be aware thought that you can't RUN games from external USB drives on the Series machines. You can only use it as local backup storage.
    If you want to expand your usable storage for games in your rotation you have to use those NVMe cards MS is releasing for Series S/X

snip
    Guy asked if it would run Xbox One X enhancements, you replied saying it's possible yet it isn't because it's not happening.

Anything else is a massive goal post shift. It can't play games at Xbox One X settings, that is the reality here. It has it's advantages over the One X, but the GPU is just not made to play games above 1440p and most One X games run above that, a lot even reaching native 4k.