Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1
    The Unstoppable Force Skroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    23,564

    The Russian carrier Kuznetsov is burning....

    Seriously, why doesn't Russia scrap this thing before it kills some more people. Currently 12 injured, 3 dead, 1 missing and fire is spreading, covering 600 square meters of the ship. A lot of work for a militarily useless showpiece that needs an escort tug.




    (from Space)




    https://twitter.com/i/status/1205070211352805376

    Reminder, that in October 2018, the Carrier was seriously damaged when a the massive drydock it was in (the largest in Russia) sank and a crane fell into its deck.


    We're Taking Your President Away From You. | Users with <20 posts and ignored posters are invisible. Find out how to do that here and clean up MMO-OT!

  2. #2
    Not gonna lie, from the second and third pictures I thought she was just underway...

  3. #3
    To be fair US naval vessals though smaller tend to collide with whatever. Then again they are 20 times more in numbers.

    Maybe the Soviet era carrier had some crew member smoking too cloase to the coal pile that power the ship and it created a big ass bonfire?
    Killing alliance APES all day on Gehennas

  4. #4
    Got to keep pretending that they are a major world power. The dreams of being a naval power never died with Gorshkov.

  5. #5
    The Insane draynay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    15,008
    That's some quality "goddamn steam".
    /s

  6. #6
    There are piles of snow on this poor girls deck, they need to sell this ship to a navy that will appreciate it, or scrap it already.

  7. #7
    lol that's some quality stuff right there.
    Do you hear the voices too?

  8. #8
    Didn't the Chinese use this (sister ship Liaoning) as a bases for the start of their aircraft carrier designs?

  9. #9
    Dreadlord Yadryonych's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Матушка Россия
    Posts
    778
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadwen View Post
    Didn't the Chinese use this (sister ship Liaoning) as a bases for the start of their aircraft carrier designs?
    They actually have complete design and all the blueprints

  10. #10
    The Unstoppable Force Skroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    23,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadwen View Post
    Didn't the Chinese use this (sister ship Liaoning) as a bases for the start of their aircraft carrier designs?
    The Chinese bought the ex-Varyag (now named) Liaoning and revamped her as their first carrier. One of the major changes they made (that is currently being done to the Kuznetsov) is the removal of missile canisters on the deck, of which this class has 12 Vertical launch system cells for Granit missiles.



    Removing the VLS cells, along with all associated hardware entails substantial changes below deck, but also opens up all that space for a larger hangar (which means it can carry more missiles). It's presence on the Kuznetsov is indicative of how the Soviets (now the Russians) utilize their crriers differently than the US with its supercarriers. It's a different concept really.

    But the Chinese intend to builds US-style supercarriers (in fact, they are underway building one now, the Type 002). They first needed to learn how to have, handle and manage a carrier. So they bought the Liaoning and massively revamped it. But it's really just a training ship and a show-of-force ship. This led to them building the Type 001A from scratch, which is a modified Liaoning design. They look similar but the Type-001A has a larger flight deck, larger hanger, more storage space and redesigned island. But it's still heavily derived from the Liaoning.

    To put it simply, with the Liaoning, China learned how to own a carrier. With the Liaoning-derived Type-001A, they learned how to build a carrier. Both will likely see limited active duty service.

    All of this is part of their plan to build the Type-002, which will have an Electro Magnetic Aircraft Launch system like the USS Gerald R Ford, rather than a ski-jump, and be comparable (but smaller) to modern US Supercarriers. It will have similar dimensions to a Nimitz or Ford class, but have a lesser the displacement.

    From the Center from Strategic International Studies (modern carriers are build modularly then lifted into place).

    .


    It's worth stating though it's taken China nearly 25 ears to get to that point. The US has been building big deck carriers non-stop since the 1950s and that has lead to a rather quick turnaround for them. The US work force can turn them around in about 4 years. The speed is mostly a factor of money spent employing workers and number of shifts per day.

    The CVN-79 USS John F Kennedy
    July 2017



    December 7th 2019


    (note: it still needs to be outfitted with all its radars, computers, weapons, catapults, wires and so forth, which will take another couple of years, largely due to funding limits)
    We're Taking Your President Away From You. | Users with <20 posts and ignored posters are invisible. Find out how to do that here and clean up MMO-OT!

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    The Chinese bought the ex-Varyag (now named) Liaoning and revamped her as their first carrier. One of the major changes they made (that is currently being done to the Kuznetsov) is the removal of missile canisters on the deck, of which this class has 12 Vertical launch system cells for Granit missiles.



    Removing the VLS cells, along with all associated hardware entails substantial changes below deck, but also opens up all that space for a larger hangar (which means it can carry more missiles). It's presence on the Kuznetsov is indicative of how the Soviets (now the Russians) utilize their crriers differently than the US with its supercarriers. It's a different concept really.

    But the Chinese intend to builds US-style supercarriers (in fact, they are underway building one now, the Type 002). They first needed to learn how to have, handle and manage a carrier. So they bought the Liaoning and massively revamped it. But it's really just a training ship and a show-of-force ship. This led to them building the Type 001A from scratch, which is a modified Liaoning design. They look similar but the Type-001A has a larger flight deck, larger hanger, more storage space and redesigned island. But it's still heavily derived from the Liaoning.

    To put it simply, with the Liaoning, China learned how to own a carrier. With the Liaoning-derived Type-001A, they learned how to build a carrier. Both will likely see limited active duty service.

    All of this is part of their plan to build the Type-002, which will have an Electro Magnetic Aircraft Launch system like the USS Gerald R Ford, rather than a ski-jump, and be comparable (but smaller) to modern US Supercarriers. It will have similar dimensions to a Nimitz or Ford class, but have a lesser the displacement.

    From the Center from Strategic International Studies (modern carriers are build modularly then lifted into place).

    .


    It's worth stating though it's taken China nearly 25 ears to get to that point. The US has been building big deck carriers non-stop since the 1950s and that has lead to a rather quick turnaround for them. The US work force can turn them around in about 4 years. The speed is mostly a factor of money spent employing workers and number of shifts per day.

    The CVN-79 USS John F Kennedy
    July 2017



    December 7th 2019


    (note: it still needs to be outfitted with all its radars, computers, weapons, catapults, wires and so forth, which will take another couple of years, largely due to funding limits)
    It may be the SCI-Fi Geek in me or WWII History Geek (CV-6) but I'm looking forward to CVN-80.

  12. #12
    The Insane Kellhound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Bank of the Columbia
    Posts
    19,300
    I love to see Russia waste money on that hunk of scrap metal. He is an albatross....
    Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
    “Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
    "His knowledge on that topic is only power point deep..." "Power corrupts and PowerPoint corrupts absolutely."
    "Who's the more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows him?"

  13. #13
    Again? They're gonna make more ghost ship stories about this thing than the flying dutchman in the future.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy4123 View Post
    Again? They're gonna make more ghost ship stories about this thing than the flying dutchman in the future.
    it will be the only stories as far as I know with a ghost ship being towed around by a ghost tug boat...

  15. #15
    Old God Grimbold21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Azores, Portugal
    Posts
    10,092
    Surprised not seeing Kangodo here saying this is the West's work

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Surprised not seeing Kangodo here saying this is the West's work
    I'm sure it was just made up/overexaggerated/look over there something else is terrible don't look at this

  17. #17
    They should just zombify Dennis Hopper and make him the captain. The ramp will now be for jet ski attacks.

  18. #18
    Pfft, thats not a fire, they are just testing a smoke dispersion system to obscure their mega fleets from prying eyes. Typical capitalist pigdog propaganda!

  19. #19
    The Unstoppable Force breadisfunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    flying the exodar...into the sun.
    Posts
    24,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Pfft, thats not a fire, they are just testing a smoke dispersion system to obscure their mega fleets from prying eyes. Typical capitalist pigdog propaganda!
    nah they are just having a russian bbq.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Surprised not seeing Kangodo here saying this is the West's work
    It totally was the CIA, they managed to build a microwave that disrupts the signals in Russian ships and causes them to go up in smoke.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •