Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ...
6
7
8
9
10
18
... LastLast
  1. #141
    Merely a Setback cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    27,270
    Quote Originally Posted by Enthusiastic Steward View Post
    Not at all. Gilead requires a dedicated vision and leadership competent enough to dismantle the old system and install themselves completely in short order. Neither exist in Trump's administration.
    Agreed re Trump. But there are smart people in the GOP, even if they aren't showing themselves right now (see Cheney), and I would think they are chomping at the bit for a post-Trump Executive Branch that can basically do whatever they went, so long as they keep the idiot masses placated.

    So the post-Trump era is where I see Gilead rising - or something like it. Even if the Trump family goes full nepotism with Trump after Trump squatting at the Resolute Desk, there will be people who see the value of a 40% mindless whorde (yes, I spelled it the way I meant), and will take the whole "machine" to the next level.
    No one is above the law!

  2. #142
    He gets acquitted in the Senate and now the House is at risk in 2020.

    Dems might be doing the right thing but they've never been good at the optics game.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by TigTone View Post
    Trump would have to personally and directly affect his life in a very negative way.

    That’s how it works for some folk.

    To break the curse of idols.
    I doubt it.

    Look at some of the farmers who have been badly affected by the tariffs. Many/some are still sticking with him because they think it's their patriotic duty to weather this storm. And if the deal with China is close, the Dems won't even have that to attack him with.

  3. #143
    Quote Originally Posted by Somewhatconcerned View Post

    I doubt it.

    Look at some of the farmers who have been badly affected by the tariffs. Many/some are still sticking with him because they think it's their patriotic duty to weather this storm. And if the deal with China is close, the Dems won't even have that to attack him with.
    I meant in a way such as trump physically in person does something very negative to them or someone they love.

    Anything less than that makes it easy to blame someone else for anything negative coming from trumps policies.

  4. #144
    Quote Originally Posted by DocSavageFan View Post
    I did NOT endorse his behavior...and I explicitly stated the opposite to you. Is your reading comprehension really that abysmal?
    You don't think there's a crime, you don't think it's impeachable yet you don't endorse it? are you that ignorant of the contradiction on those stances?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Somewhatconcerned View Post
    I doubt it.

    Look at some of the farmers who have been badly affected by the tariffs. Many/some are still sticking with him because they think it's their patriotic duty to weather this storm. And if the deal with China is close, the Dems won't even have that to attack him with.
    Of course they can attack him with it because it has to first get through congress and odds are the deal is going to be terrible since Trump is desperate to do this for his election and the Chinese know this.

  5. #145
    The Unstoppable Force
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    23,688
    Quote Originally Posted by Break The Ice View Post
    Another 4 years of Trump with another scotus pick. The future is looking very nice.
    I'm still confused why you people want a conservative Supreme Court so badly. They make decisions like Citizens United which is easily one of the worst decisions the Supreme Court has ever made. You really want more of that?

    What decisions have the liberal justices made that are worse than Citizens United?

    This mostly seems like "My team is good, other team is bad" without actually looking at the kinds of decisions that have been made.

  6. #146
    Merely a Setback cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    27,270
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    I'm still confused why you people want a conservative Supreme Court so badly. They make decisions like Citizens United which is easily one of the worst decisions the Supreme Court has ever made. You really want more of that?

    What decisions have the liberal justices made that are worse than Citizens United?

    This mostly seems like "My team is good, other team is bad" without actually looking at the kinds of decisions that have been made.
    I'm not sure the neo-cons look at Citizens United as a bad thing....

    Side question: if Trump steals another 4 years, how many more SCOTUS seats will he get? 2? RBG for sure.
    No one is above the law!

  7. #147
    The Unstoppable Force
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    23,688
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I'm not sure the neo-cons look at Citizens United as a bad thing....
    True. They seem to like bribery considering how much they're defending Trump's bribery.

  8. #148
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I'm not sure the neo-cons look at Citizens United as a bad thing....

    Side question: if Trump steals another 4 years, how many more SCOTUS seats will he get? 2? RBG for sure.
    If they do, they already have created a near mandate to either pack the courts or go with a variation of the Sanders idea to completely depoliticize it permanently.

    That would just ensure that the public at large would demand it as it is already made up of a majority of nominees from presidents who the majority of the nation voted against and Gorsuch and Kavanaugh are both very dubious in how they were put in.

    I would personally suggest a new thing where the president doesn't nominate justices at all and they aren't lifetime appointments. Instead they are rotated out from the lower courts every year at random and no case that hit the docket while they are in office will be seen by them but by the next group to keep from fishing for activist judges. Maybe have it setup where if they get through with their cases before, they can be rotated out after only 6 months but each group will only be in up to 12 months and any cases they have left undone in that time will be left for the next ones. If a case drags on, they will ONLY be able to continue in that case in that role.

    But the Supreme Court already has credibility issues given their current nomination practices thanks to McConnell that makes about every verdict they come to suspect.

    But for him to nominate more, the majority of the nation should pretty much demand it be rectified.

  9. #149
    The Unstoppable Force
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    23,688
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasAnonymous View Post
    But the Supreme Court already has credibility issues given their current nomination practices thanks to McConnell that makes about every verdict they come to suspect.
    Nah, that happened before this. When the Supreme Court decided that bribery and corruption are free speech.

  10. #150
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Nah, that happened before this. When the Supreme Court decided that bribery and corruption are free speech.
    True, but that was bipartisan corruption as well overall as neither party actually fight that. Their credibility was shot but neither party wanted to fix it and the public couldn't because the parties refused without 3rd options.

    With this, we literally have a majority of justices from people and the party that the majority voted against who got put there by hook or by crook. There WILL be a push to have this fixed, either by packing or depoliticizing it.

    And given what happened already, packing would take a decent amount even if they removed Kavanaugh for perjury. So just wiping the slate clean and removing that football forever seems like the better option.

  11. #151
    The Insane Daelak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    15,745
    Quote Originally Posted by Somewhatconcerned View Post
    He gets acquitted in the Senate and now the House is at risk in 2020.

    Dems might be doing the right thing but they've never been good at the optics game.

    - - - Updated - - -



    I doubt it.

    Look at some of the farmers who have been badly affected by the tariffs. Many/some are still sticking with him because they think it's their patriotic duty to weather this storm. And if the deal with China is close, the Dems won't even have that to attack him with.
    I think the opposite is true. The fallout from any strategic "gotcha" questioning by pushing false testimony and conspiracy theories will even erode his support among his base. Republican infighting between the 22 senators up for re-election being bombarded by people in their states wanting equal justice for all people, and a resolute decision showing no one is above the law, they will be forced to do some real soul searching. The precedent that this will create will eliminate any semblance of independence of elections from outside interference.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

  12. #152
    Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    I think the opposite is true. The fallout from any strategic "gotcha" questioning by pushing false testimony and conspiracy theories will even erode his support among his base. Republican infighting between the 22 senators up for re-election being bombarded by people in their states wanting equal justice for all people, and a resolute decision showing no one is above the law, they will be forced to do some real soul searching. The precedent that this will create will eliminate any semblance of independence of elections from outside interference.
    Remember McConnell is talking about trying to not just dismiss the case, he is wanting to acquit it. Basically trying to pass the buck and let Trump off the hook without setting a precedence that can be used against them later.

    He has also admitted on TV that he is in direct coordination with the white house to try and reach the verdict they want and they are even talking about having no witnesses at all so they can ignore it all.

    All this why he is blocking support for bills to protect the election and getting paid by Russia in both a million donation to his PAC and 200 million in investments to his state plus Trumps personal bribe to him with his wife being made Secretary of Transportation.

    They might be banking on outside help to win with how they are playing it.

  13. #153
    The Insane Daelak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    15,745
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasAnonymous View Post
    Remember McConnell is talking about trying to not just dismiss the case, he is wanting to acquit it. Basically trying to pass the buck and let Trump off the hook without setting a precedence that can be used against them later.

    He has also admitted on TV that he is in direct coordination with the white house to try and reach the verdict they want and they are even talking about having no witnesses at all so they can ignore it all.

    All this why he is blocking support for bills to protect the election and getting paid by Russia in both a million donation to his PAC and 200 million in investments to his state plus Trumps personal bribe to him with his wife being made Secretary of Transportation.

    They might be banking on outside help to win with how they are playing it.
    Then the majority of people have no other constitutional recourse for this. I don't see how republicans cannot come out looking prepared for the 2020 elections after this. Internal polling has already decimated the ranks of republicans in the house not running in 2020, so the 22 republicans also must be sweating bullets knowing that their gains are within the margin of error.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

  14. #154
    Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    Then the majority of people have no other constitutional recourse for this. I don't see how republicans cannot come out looking prepared for the 2020 elections after this. Internal polling has already decimated the ranks of republicans in the house not running in 2020, so the 22 republicans also must be sweating bullets knowing that their gains are within the margin of error.
    Remember all they did during the 2018 to prevent even more losses. They might actually be prepared. Just not to win the elections but to steal them between election rigging on their part on more from Russia.

    Still wondering why aid was withheld from Lebanon till caught, what were they trying to get out of them.

  15. #155
    The Undying Cthulhu 2020's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rigging your election
    Posts
    33,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I am not apologizing... I am trying to point out the reality... which means you need to take that reality into consideration when trying to act... otherwise you just further reinforce the reality we find ourselves in.
    God, for as much as you harp on the left for not understanding the alternate realities of the right wing delusional sphere, for you to just come out and argue about "realities" is just so fucking ironic. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad how obviously biased you are against the left. You scream for them to understand and accept the reality of the right while you yourself give no leeway for opinions of the left, factual or not.

    I knew you were a bad faith poster who just used philosophical sophistry to hide shitposting behind a thin veneer of posturing, but this thread has proven to me beyond all doubt that not only do you personally not practice what you preach, you actively and consciously tell others to not do exactly what you are doing, because it's perfectly fine for you to do it but not for others.
    "Nazis are like cats. If they like you, it's probably because you're feeding them." -John Oliver
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    I don't care if he committed tax fraud. Scoring political victories and crushing the aspirations of your political opponents is more important than adhering to moral principles.
    Knadra finally just admitting Trumpkins care more about political victories than morals.

  16. #156
    The Insane Daelak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    15,745
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    That's nice... then put me on ignore.

    I am not here for you... I am here for normal people that are reading this, but may not be posting who have not been regicalized yet by people like you or Skroe.
    Separation of powers is failing, and anything less than an impartial trial and removal will be the death knell for the constitution. The precedent set will only mean foreign interference in US elections will be commonplace, making the electorate even more apathetic.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

  17. #157
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    I'm still confused why you people want a conservative Supreme Court so badly. They make decisions like Citizens United which is easily one of the worst decisions the Supreme Court has ever made. You really want more of that?

    What decisions have the liberal justices made that are worse than Citizens United?

    This mostly seems like "My team is good, other team is bad" without actually looking at the kinds of decisions that have been made.
    They want to take my funs away so they can all go fuck themselves. I'll take 5 more citizens uniteds over more gun control

  18. #158
    Quote Originally Posted by Break The Ice View Post
    They want to take my funs away so they can all go fuck themselves. I'll take 5 more citizens uniteds over more gun control
    How about stripping your kids right to due process under the law? Because Gorsuch did that as one of his first cases.

    Good chance you kid gets hurt on the job, he will have an even harder time getting workers comp or medical aid than a veteran fighting the VA within a few years.

  19. #159
    The Unstoppable Force
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    23,688
    Quote Originally Posted by Break The Ice View Post
    They want to take my funs away so they can all go fuck themselves. I'll take 5 more citizens uniteds over more gun control
    So, you want more bribery and corruption in government because you're afraid of imaginary nonsense?

    Wonderful. Let me know when you decide to live in reality again.

  20. #160
    The Undying Cthulhu 2020's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rigging your election
    Posts
    33,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    That's nice... then put me on ignore.

    I am not here for you... I am hear for normal people that are reading this, but may not be posting who have not been regicalized yet by people like you or Skroe.
    As the master of the faith of moral relativism, it's funny how you don't even see yourself as morally or politically radicalized. You may not take the side of Republicans or Democrats, but you in your own way have a very radical opinion. You're not here for anyone else. You're here as the preacher sitting on a soap box on the street corner, screaming the "truths" to those darn radicals. You hold yourself in such high esteem not even realizing you're looking down your nose at people, while you yourself berate people for doing what you perceive as looking down on others, including your numerous speeches about how Democrats view the people of the earth.

    You very unironically preach one thing and then practice the exact opposite sentiment. And I reiterate, you are not here for anyone except your own self righteousness, a concept that you look down upon others for having. Yet you are so radicalized that you can't even see your own actions in the mirror for what they are.\

    You are the very thing you speak out against. Jung's ideas of projection are in full swing. The very flaws you berate others for having, you only berate them because they subconsciously exist within your own psyche.
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2019-12-13 at 10:17 PM.
    "Nazis are like cats. If they like you, it's probably because you're feeding them." -John Oliver
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    I don't care if he committed tax fraud. Scoring political victories and crushing the aspirations of your political opponents is more important than adhering to moral principles.
    Knadra finally just admitting Trumpkins care more about political victories than morals.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •