Thread: Magic Legends

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    It's not like PWE's launcher is better than Tencent's.
    Tencent has a launcher? The more you know.

And what specifically is bad about Arc? I've not seen anything that would make it seem suspect.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm enjoying these little portal "dungeon" thingies. neat mechanic, there's both an audio and visual cue for them so you know one is nearby and if you're getting closer/further.

Amusingly, they look like they're part of the same overworld zone, just pushed way off to the side. All the same overworld minimap markers show up...just all in one area because that's where the main map probably is, heh.

Saw Day 9 apparently hates everything about it, meh. It's not great, and it's not really a "loot grinder" that some folks seem to think, but I'm still enjoying myself. Kinda dig the "everyone is sorta a summoner but also you do damage" schtick. So far I'm happy to tinker around while they hopefully start ironing shit out a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I'm enjoying these little portal "dungeon" thingies. neat mechanic, there's both an audio and visual cue for them so you know one is nearby and if you're getting closer/further.

Amusingly, they look like they're part of the same overworld zone, just pushed way off to the side. All the same overworld minimap markers show up...just all in one area because that's where the main map probably is, heh.

Saw Day 9 apparently hates everything about it, meh. It's not great, and it's not really a "loot grinder" that some folks seem to think, but I'm still enjoying myself. Kinda dig the "everyone is sorta a summoner but also you do damage" schtick. So far I'm happy to tinker around while they hopefully start ironing shit out a bit.
    Yeah they seem to be a part of the same zone there are quests that require you to kill X in the overworld and you can kill the creatures in there for credit too.

I ended up buying the white class cause I thought you got the trait it mentions in the pack. Turns out thats the level 30 reward..... it is a good way to boost your planewalker level though. Already lvl 27 planeswalker on a lvl 19 mindmage.

Haven't really changed much of my deck yet except I replaced the garbage mind control skill with a green creature buff skill and sleep with Tornado which is pretty badass.

It's also strange that you don't really start getting mana/dailies until you complete your first zone after the tutorial zone.

Playing some more....

Does the game like...stop after the second zone you clear following the tutorial? No breadcrumbs to go anywhere, just ended up going to another zone (goblin one) and hoping to get a quest and...I did which was nice, but kinda weird that it's guiding you and then just stops.

Also, is it just me or are dailies extremely poorly implemented? Like, I could figure out one of them because it just wanted me to kill the last boss of the missions in that zone but like, I haven't the foggiest clue which mission I'm supposed to run in the "green" zone (first one after the tutorial).

The more and more I play this game the more and more the warts are showing. It almost feels like 3-4 different teams made the game in isolation and then just tried to smash it all together in the final few months of development, didn't have a ton of testing pre-open beta, and just really poorly explains quite a bit about the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Well...the mage summon that takes an enemy out of battle is broken/useless. You can make bosses go immune and then you're fucked, they don't break it and you can only "break" it by resummoning the mage dude far enough away from the boss that it won't trigger the immune...and then just stay away.

Seriously, so much in this bloody game makes me wonder how much internal testing they actually did once they put all the pieces together.

Playing some more....

Does the game like...stop after the second zone you clear following the tutorial? No breadcrumbs to go anywhere, just ended up going to another zone (goblin one) and hoping to get a quest and...I did which was nice, but kinda weird that it's guiding you and then just stops.

Also, is it just me or are dailies extremely poorly implemented? Like, I could figure out one of them because it just wanted me to kill the last boss of the missions in that zone but like, I haven't the foggiest clue which mission I'm supposed to run in the "green" zone (first one after the tutorial).

The more and more I play this game the more and more the warts are showing. It almost feels like 3-4 different teams made the game in isolation and then just tried to smash it all together in the final few months of development, didn't have a ton of testing pre-open beta, and just really poorly explains quite a bit about the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Well...the mage summon that takes an enemy out of battle is broken/useless. You can make bosses go immune and then you're fucked, they don't break it and you can only "break" it by resummoning the mage dude far enough away from the boss that it won't trigger the immune...and then just stay away.

Seriously, so much in this bloody game makes me wonder how much internal testing they actually did once they put all the pieces together.
    I assume you gotta do all the zones to continue the story but I'm not there yet. Still need blue and black.

The daily should mention a persons name if it doesn't mention the actual mission. Then you just look for that name in the description. Pretty annoying but so far I've picked the right quest by doing that.

Perfect World was probably getting antsy and had em push it out unfinished. Apparently they had told Cryptic that last years STO Anniversary bundle was too good of a deal and had them put out this years for x number of ships for x amount and they just tried to fill it with shit to make it worth the price they had to sell it at.

I can't find what the Planar mana cap is or how its implemented. I assumed it was how much you can hold at a time. I hope its not a weekly thing or story locked or some crap.

Not sure if I broke it aether rushing a bunch to lvl 4 or what. God I wish this game would explain shit.
    Last edited by qwerty123456; 2021-03-27 at 06:33 AM.

https://www.playmagiclegends.com/en/...ticle/11486153

Update on upcoming changes, TLDR's...

Performance: They're working on it, no testing like live etc. etc.
    MTX: Dimir Assassin now unlocked at Battle Pass lvl 50 for free, so it's much more grindable.
    Chat: Now only in chat with others in your instance, kinda meh but at least no more !claimfreepack spam
    Tutorial: They're speeding it up and letting you group sooner, will take some time. Also, more spells will drop so you can start building your deck sooner.
    SMALLER PLAYER COLLISION BOXES PRAISE THE LORD

I'm alright with this so far.

Tried it out for a few minutes and had a big issue that I couldn't resolve:

The cursor is so ridiculously small that I can't see it. I have to constantly wiggle my mouse to see where the hell it is. The settings are super bare bones and I can't seem to adjust it. Switching between point and click and WASD doesn't really help. I may try with a controller a bit later, but as of right now it feels almost unplayable to me.

MTX: Dimir Assassin now unlocked at Battle Pass lvl 50 for free, so it's much more grindable.
    Chat: Now only in chat with others in your instance, kinda meh but at least no more !claimfreepack spam
    Tutorial: They're speeding it up and letting you group sooner, will take some time. Also, more spells will drop so you can start building your deck sooner.
    SMALLER PLAYER COLLISION BOXES PRAISE THE LORD

I'm alright with this so far.
    You have to be from America to be all right with that. Trust me, 160-200 ping is not fun.

I’ve quit after 3 days, hitting the necessity of farming 5k allmana and 230k gold for my current needs. And while I could potentially do that and squeeze mana into this weeks mana cap, the next round of upgrades looked to be a lot more expensive, so I would need to wait 2 weeks for that.

And then I saw that you can get half a reputation level for a daily, which you need 80 levels of for a card....

Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post

The cursor is so ridiculously small that I can't see it. I have to constantly wiggle my mouse to see where the hell it is. The settings are super bare bones and I can't seem to adjust it. Switching between point and click and WASD doesn't really help. I may try with a controller a bit later, but as of right now it feels almost unplayable to me.
    The game plays a lot better with a controller. Other than the menu, the gameplay itself seems to have been built around controller.
    Last edited by Tang0; 2021-03-27 at 05:37 PM.

I hope they fix it My VERY decent PC hates this game...a lot

I have mixed feeling on this game.

I like MtG, was playing this card game for years and the idea behind this game looks interesting on paper. But while playing its getting boring really fast. I catch myself just spamming QW123 without even looking at anything. All those skills feels just same with just different damage part.

Character progression is non existent (atleast in early levels, I did not get far). This game looks like ARPG that is not ARPG and a card game that is not a card game if this make any sense.

And to make it even worse theres no EU servers (I heard there wont be ever EU servers) and the lag is noticable while using cards in combat.

They really need to let you remove the profanity filter.... How the fuck am I supposed to talk to my brother?? lol You can't even call someone a noob.

Also chat is garbage. It constantly reverts from part chat to zone chat.

Found the blog that explains some shit a little better just wish it was in the actual game :
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/ma...ated-artifacts

Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post

The cursor is pretty big for me I would say double the size of my windows one. Playing in windowed max if that possibly changes it. Not sure though.
    Last edited by qwerty123456; 2021-03-27 at 08:53 PM.

So I guess endgame is just, "Grind whatever with little direction beyond a single daily per zone"?

Or am I missing something? I see that there are higher difficulties and I guess eventually modifiers you can unlock, and I guess I'll unlock those as I keep upgrading my realm.

But damn if you don't finish the final mission in whatever zone you haven't finished and the game just kinda...stops. I can get behind an open ended "endgame", but there really only seems to be event farming and re-running missions which isn't much. I was kinda hoping/expecting that they'd wrap whatever narrative I largely skipped over up after the final zone but I guess I gotta grind for a while longer.

Still kinda enjoying it, but it's extremely "meh" overall. Really feel like outside of a few cool elements like the hidden rift things and how they've integrated a lot of MTG mechanics into gear and whatnot in a neat way, everything else is....aggressively "meh" at best. Kinda burnt out on the game now so I'll just log in for dailies for a while at this point. Definitely glad I came in expecting more of a stripped-down ARPG with nothing much in the way of loot farming : |

Still kinda enjoying it, but it's extremely "meh" overall. Really feel like outside of a few cool elements like the hidden rift things and how they've integrated a lot of MTG mechanics into gear and whatnot in a neat way, everything else is....aggressively "meh" at best. Kinda burnt out on the game now so I'll just log in for dailies for a while at this point. Definitely glad I came in expecting more of a stripped-down ARPG with nothing much in the way of loot farming : |
    That's the key I think: if you come into the game knowing it's a pairing of Magic and Perfect World and adjust your expectations accordingly there's some fun to be had.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    The cursor is pretty big for me I would say double the size of my windows one. Playing in windowed max if that possibly changes it. Not sure though.
    Gave it a go, but my cursor remains teeny tiny. I switched to a controller and it became much easier to play though.

Maybe you need to be a fan of MtG to really get into it (I know nothing about the game), but so far it hasn't grabbed me. The weird ability system feels shoehorned on and is far from intuitive.

Magic: Legends Open beta started today.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/magic-legends

Can also get it on the Epic game store. Different bonuses depending on what launcher you use.

Seems interesting so far but I haven't played long.
    Oh god. Another F2P gotcha moneygrabber with huge monetiziation? Like... CRAZY monetization... everytime i see a game like this (which looks intersting) i think about how happy i am that blizz is rather restrained with it.
    The whole preview of the menu looked like a bunch of currencies you can but for real money "really easy" but can earn ingame too... if you spend like 400days a year on it.

There was already a Magic: Legends thread.

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    Oh god. Another F2P gotcha moneygrabber with huge monetiziation? Like... CRAZY monetization... everytime i see a game like this (which looks intersting) i think about how happy i am that blizz is rather restrained with it.
    The whole preview of the menu looked like a bunch of currencies you can but for real money "really easy" but can earn ingame too... if you spend like 400days a year on it.
    Have you have played cryptics other games Neverwinter/Champions Online/Star Trek Online? If so its basically the same system. If not there are two main currencies the cash shop currency Zen and then a currency you can farm a fuckload of but can only convert a certain amount of it each day into its usable form. You can then exchange Zen for the other or vice versa. Typically a really good F2P player would create multiple characters and accounts and farm the second currency and then sell it for Zen to buy shit from the cash shop. Some of the really good players would get thousands of dollars of free shit. I'm not sure how useful multiple accounts/characters will be in this one though since your Aether is account wide and there isn't any trading other than the broker atm so you can't transfer non account bound stuff from your mules to your main account.

Aside from those 2 currencies they also have a lootbox currency which you only get from buying loot boxes. It's basically a consolation prize for getting trash.

They are changing stuff atm based on feedback like adding the class only available in a lootbox to the final reward for both the free and paid battlepass so now would be a good time to try the game and if you hate anything complain about it maybe they'll change it.
    Last edited by qwerty123456; 2021-03-28 at 04:27 AM.

Have you have played cryptics other games Neverwinter/Champions Online/Star Trek Online? If so its basically the same system. If not there are two main currencies the cash shop currency Zen and then a currency you can farm a fuckload of but can only convert a certain amount of it each day into its usable form. You can then exchange Zen for the other or vice versa. Typically a really good F2P player would create multiple characters and accounts and farm the second currency and then sell it for Zen to buy shit from the cash shop. Some of the really good players would get thousands of dollars of free shit. I'm not sure how useful multiple accounts/characters will be in this one though since your Aether is account wide and there isn't any trading other than the broker atm so you can't transfer non account bound stuff from your mules to your main account.

Aside from those 2 currencies they also have a lootbox currency which you only get from buying loot boxes. It's basically a consolation prize for getting trash.

They are changing stuff atm based on feedback like adding the class only available in a lootbox to the final reward for both the free and paid battlepass so now would be a good time to try the game and if you hate anything bitch about it maybe they'll change it.
    I read what you wrote and got annoyed^^ NOT by you By the concept. I love the magic universe. But F2P games are the bane of gameing which serve no purpose but to suck money out of bored people with not enough self control. For me this is highly moraly wrong and for myself personally annoying becuase to look good in these games i have to a) spend a ridicioulus amount fo time on it (liek you described, multiple characters and accounts grinding the shit out of it or pay real money...

I will NEVER understand how someone can defend these greedy immoral tactics.. sorry.

Just to make sure^^ No attack on you. Just the game!^^

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    I read what you wrote and got annoyed^^ NOT by you By the concept. I love the magic universe. But F2P games are the bane of gameing which serve no purpose but to suck money out of bored people with not enough self control. For me this is highly moraly wrong and for myself personally annoying becuase to look good in these games i have to a) spend a ridicioulus amount fo time on it (liek you described, multiple characters and accounts grinding the shit out of it or pay real money...

I will NEVER understand how someone can defend these greedy immoral tactics.. sorry.

Just to make sure^^ No attack on you. Just the game!^^
    I agree. I'd much rather have a sub game like wow. Unfortunately everyone realized they making a million dollars off of 500 whales is easier and safer than relying on 100,000 people to pay 10$. Atleast they didn't go the ESO route and add loot boxes, a cash shop, 100$ homes, buy 2 play and a sub option + what ever I'm forgetting.
    Last edited by qwerty123456; 2021-03-28 at 06:14 AM.

I agree. I'd much rather have a sub game like wow. Unfortunately everyone realized they making a million dollars off of 500 whales is easier and safer than relying on 100,000 people to pay 10$. Atleast they didn't go the ESO route and add loot boxes, a cash shop, 100$ homes, buy 2 play and a sub option + what ever I'm forgetting.
    instead they just went with pay to win lmfao

Spent part of the day farming overworld events since that seemed more tolerable to farming missions endlessly. Just toss on Netflix and functionally watch that while grinding.

It's been...really lackluster in terms of rewards, and I'm not even near the mana cap for any color yet. And I guess Battle Pass is bugged and not progressing? I dunno, they don't really seem to explain how it works beyond "Do dailies/weeklies" which...dailies exist but what are weeklies even? Why is this similarly hard-capped like every other resource in the game?

I want to stay around and keep farming to see how the game changes as your realm grows and you unlock new classes. I want to start doing the harder missions to see if those are more fun/rewarding...

But everything about the game seems so quarter-baked. Like, I stand by my nonsense "theory" that the game was functionally designed by 3-4 teams that didn't collaborate or communicate with each other until the final few months of development when they started mashing everything together. And I even find it hard to believe it's been in development for so long given how lackluster almost everything across the board is.

I mean, I'm not bigly disappointed, I know the score with Cryptic games and wasn't expecting grand things, especially right outta the gate. But I'm genuinely kinda surprised by how most of the design is in the game. I'm not surprised by the hard-caps on currency per day/week, but holy hell is it a really lazy and bad way to limit player power progression (Which it doesn't even seem to be doing as folks are already level 100+ and at like, 800+ player power) that just makes everything feel like a slog and really unrewarding.

I feel like even with CO being in functional maintenance mode, Cryptic may not be a studio capable of handling three live-service games at once. STO seems to be plugging along alright (plenty of issues, but it is what it is and has been for years now), Neverwinter is still going alright (some ups and downs, but fairly solid), CO was supposed to get a dev team again years ago but those plans seem like they were shelved and it's had a few minor updates and that's it. I genuinely wonder how big the team working on ML, because this strikes me more as the effort of a smaller team working on their first ARPG without really spending much time looking at and understanding successful ARPG's in the market.

Edit: Apparently you can't reach level 50 in the Battle Pass if you miss more than 2-3 days of dailies? And there's still a bug going around that prevents you from progressing, that I might be affected by.

Man, this game is just jam-packed with the most nonsensical decisions I've seen in a while. Didn't they bother researching other Battle Pass systems to see how successful ones were structured and implemented? Or did they just go, "Well, we slapped weekly caps on everything already so let's just do this too!" like...seriously, what the heck yo.

I've never had the highest opinion of Cryptic as a developer, but I'm genuinely kinda shocked at how poorly thought out this game is. Open beta is functional launch, and while it feels there on a polish level (more or less), damn if the design level doesn't feel like we're creeping into an early beta where they're going to be extensively overhauling and balancing systems and working on things like a proper endgame.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2021-03-29 at 04:40 AM.