Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    There is no good reason to stay on Windows 8.1

I'm a win10 user these days and I miss 2 things about 8.1:

1) metro UI, with the ability to design your own tiles.

2) 8.1 can nudge alot abot insralling upgrades, but win 10 will force you to regarfless to what you want. Some security upgrades will be pushed on win 10 with the only option to choose when to restart...

Other than that? Yeah...I love win10.

Windows 8/8.1 is the windows vista 2.0
    Shite OS between two good OS (xp and 7, 7 and 10).

Personally i use Open Shell start menu replacement for my win10 because i cant stand their metro ui nonsense.
    And make sure to download the important drivers manually (chipset, GPU, network drivers...).
    Windows 10 update has a habit of auto installing older drivers from 2014-2018.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by leorana View Post
    I'm a win10 user these days and I miss 2 things about 8.1:

1) metro UI, with the ability to design your own tiles.

2) 8.1 can nudge alot abot insralling upgrades, but win 10 will force you to regarfless to what you want. Some security upgrades will be pushed on win 10 with the only option to choose when to restart...

Other than that? Yeah...I love win10.
    That is one issue I have read about windows 10, is the automatic updates. People have complained about being in the middle of a game for example and windows decides to do a auto update. Not that familiar with Windows 10, but is there a way to shut off automatic updates and do them manually when you want to? Like I can in 8.1.

I know there is a way to schedule the updates to check at a time when you are not using the computer, but I put my machine in sleep mode if I am going to be away from it for more than a hour and I shut it down completely at night before I go to bed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Sadly for me one reason was...my work hardware (a still perfectly intact Wacom Cintiq 21) didn't want to work on a new Win 10 Laptop (nor on my old laptop that had Win 10, but worked with the 8.1 partition) - and also the software I use to do my work (toonboom) was for ages not updated to work with Win 10.

So...yeah...I could think of two incredible annoying and infuriating reasons not to.

Though they are pretty special. For the average Joe there probably is no reason to wait (though if your general setup works well, I wouldn't touch it for as long as I could)
    That is my position I have been trying to make. But I am certainly not going to knock anyone deciding to upgrade from windows 8.1. And eventually, I will have to. If you like what you have and it works great for your purpose, then that is good. I think that is true for a lot of things.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    That is one issue I have read about windows 10, is the automatic updates. People have complained about being in the middle of a game for example and windows decides to do a auto update. Not that familiar with Windows 10, but is there a way to shut off automatic updates and do them manually when you want to? Like I can in 8.1.

I know there is a way to schedule the updates to check at a time when you are not using the computer, but I put my machine in sleep mode if I am going to be away from it for more than a hour and I shut it down completely at night before I go to bed.
    I am using the latest version of Windows 10 (1909) and there is an option that allows you to set your active hours so that your PC will not be restarted when updates are downloaded during those hours. There is an additional option to pause updates for up to 35 days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloriandus View Post
    I am using the latest version of Windows 10 (1909) and there is an option that allows you to set your active hours so that your PC will not be restarted when updates are downloaded during those hours. There is an additional option to pause updates for up to 35 days.
    So you can keep it on pause if you want to do them when you want to? Like pause it, then a few days or so later, un-pause it, do the updates and then pause it again? If so, that sounds better than not having any control over it except the time of the day it does it.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, there are reasons. One is, why spend the money when what you have is working fine?
    You can still upgrade Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 for free...

If you want to go the "clean install" route you should still upgrade to Windows 10 first, then do a Reset PC. This will ensure your license correctly rolls over.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hottage View Post
    You can still upgrade Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 for free...

If you want to go the "clean install" route you should still upgrade to Windows 10 first, then do a Reset PC. This will ensure your license correctly rolls over.
    Yeah, I was not aware until later after I made that post you could still do a free upgrade. It does not work the same way however it did when the upgrade was supposedly available for only a year. I will use the free upgrade method if it is still available when I do.

Quote Originally Posted by VGAddict View Post
    I currently use Windows 8.1. Should I upgrade to Windows 10?
    You haven't already? AND you're still using Windows 8?! Are you some kind of sadomasochist or..

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Yes, I believe you go to windows update and then you can either pause for the default of a week or go to advanced options and set the period to be longer.
    ???

Microsoft pushed some critical patches in 2019 even when your windows update SERVICE was disabled. They just activated the SERVICE, pushed the install without notification, because Win10 does not give the user the full control about updates.

You can delay some minor updates a few times and thats it. Microsoft can FORCE PUSH even Day-1 patches if they want and they did allready.

You are just a user not the owner of your OS and permanent offline mode is not possible for non-corporate versions of Win10.
    -

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    ???

Microsoft pushed some critical patches in 2019 even when your windows update SERVICE was disabled. They just activated the SERVICE, pushed the install without notification, because Win10 does not give the user the full control about updates.

You can delay some minor updates a few times and thats it. Microsoft can FORCE PUSH even Day-1 patches if they want and they did allready.

You are just a user not the owner of your OS and permanent offline mode is not possible for non-corporate versions of Win10.
    That is bullshit on Microsoft's end. Of course, if the machine is shut off , they will not have control of the updates until you turned it back on. So I am assuming, the updates would take place once you turned it on the next day?

That is bullshit on Microsoft's end. Of course, if the machine is shut off , they will not have control of the updates until you turned it back on. So I am assuming, the updates would take place once you turned it on the next day?
    Yes software updates still need a powered on machine.

But the forced patches did not need a reboot, hybernating (never shutdown) machines just got the forced patches/service activation as anyone else with Win10.

Imagine a workplace with OEM-Win10, where just feature not even security patches prevent business software from working and the only PERMANENT solutions are workarounds in many cases with making your Win-systems even more vulnerable as pre-patch. Many workarounds are only possible if you got backups allready prepared. Full corporate licencing doesnt even prevent the shittshow, you have just more time to react and prepare for day X, while your OEM-update disaster is just a "surprise-mofo" workday.
    Last edited by Ange; 2019-12-17 at 02:20 PM.
    -

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    ???

Configure Windows Update via group policies. I've not had a single update install without my confirmation. If I install an update that requires a reboot, the reboot can occur outside of the set "active time", but I believe even has a policy that won't allow it to happen while the computer is actively being used.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    Configure Windows Update via group policies. I've not had a single update install without my confirmation. If I install an update that requires a reboot, the reboot can occur outside of the set "active time", but I believe even has a policy that won't allow it to happen while the computer is actively being used.
    That is really good to know. I need to remember that when I do upgrade. How does one do that in Windows 10? Simple or multiple steps? Special conditions required?

15+ Year Old Account
    That is really good to know. I need to remember that when I do upgrade. How does one do that in Windows 10? Simple or multiple steps? Special conditions required?
    • Open the Group Policy Editor (either search in the start menu or run gpedit)
    • Navigate to Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update
    • Here are my configured items:
      • Enabling Windows Update Power Management to automatically wake up the system to install scheduled updates: Disabled
      • Turn off auto-restart for updates during active hours: Enabled
      • Configure Automatic Updates: Enabled, Setting 2 (Notify for download and auto install), Install during automatic maintenance unchecked
      • Do not include drivers with Windows Updates: Enabled
      • Allow Automatic Updates immediate installation: Disabled
      • No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic update installations: Enabled

10+ Year Old Account
    • Navigate to Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update
      • Enabling Windows Update Power Management to automatically wake up the system to install scheduled updates: Disabled
      • Configure Automatic Updates: Enabled, Setting 2 (Notify for download and auto install), Install during automatic maintenance unchecked
      • No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic update installations: Enabled
    Awesome! Thanks for the info.

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy crap, thanks. Windows Update is the worst thing about Windows 10. You'd think Microsoft wouldn't hide those settings in Local Group Policy.

If your windows 8.1 is activated just install the 10 upgrade, and it'll convert your key. If it's not a legitimate key, or volume licenced, this won't work though. Will work for win 7,8, 8.1.