Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Absolutely loved levelling - especially in STV, which was always my favourite zone. Then got to max level, ran the dungeons a couple times, did Ony and MC a couple times and quit. Will probably level another couple chars over the next few months but very slowly. Have zero interest in raiding.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    Correction: The game says they suck.

DPS shaman have no mana recovery and are useless one minute into the fight. DPS Druid don't have mana recovery as boomie and bleeds take up debuff slots as a cat. (And do sub-par damage, due to bleeds being undispelable except by Dwarves.) Non-healer paladins have no mana recovery and do sub-par damage, and tank paladins have no taunt.

"The meta" didn't decide these things. The game did. This was part of Classic. These classes aren't bad because 'the meta.' They're bad because they don't retain their DPS long enough to make it through raid fights, don't tank well enough to raid, and quickly fall off once they run out of resources. (Or use limited resources that are better spent on other classes, namely the debuff slots.)
    Nah, the meta plays a part as well. The "meta" being an utter min/max mentality, where 100 gold of consumables must be used for every MC run. Where a spec that is not tier1 is benched, even though bosses will continue rolling over probably until Naxx. The meta that still ignores the overall hybrid-gameplay value of certain specs because they're slightly worse at one role.

"Who cares if you can dps and heal effectively without needed to spend 50g on re-rolling? Your damage is 30% less than the absurd damage being pumped out by another spec, so you're benched."

If the content was hard, there would maybe be merit to this mentality. But it's not, so there isn't. The meta, the playerbase min/max mindset, is absolutely at play here.

I love classic and was super gung-ho about it from the start

Got to 60, mostly raid BIS, epic mount

Now i'm just bored lol. There's very little to do once you've done everything, and PVP just isn't fun for me since it takes unreal amounts of time to achieve rank

Not sure how much longer I'll play it. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug
    Last edited by Frosteye; 2019-12-29 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Denizly View Post
    Oh yes expect the a meta to exist in TBC too, but in TBC you could at least play most of the specs, unlike in classic where there are some specs that people deny cuz meta says they suck (dps sham, dps druid, non heal pala..).
    I did Mechanar to the point that I never want to see Netherstorm ever again. I haven't even been their since Wratch launched except to buy PvP gear for transmag.

Started it at launch, took some time away from it. Rerolled. Only 50. Still plenty of time to get caught up with gear and progression.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    Correction: The game says they suck.

DPS shaman have no mana recovery and are useless one minute into the fight. DPS Druid don't have mana recovery as boomie and bleeds take up debuff slots as a cat. (And do sub-par damage, due to bleeds being undispelable except by Dwarves.) Non-healer paladins have no mana recovery and do sub-par damage, and tank paladins have no taunt.

"The meta" didn't decide these things. The game did. This was part of Classic. These classes aren't bad because 'the meta.' They're bad because they don't retain their DPS long enough to make it through raid fights, don't tank well enough to raid, and quickly fall off once they run out of resources. (Or use limited resources that are better spent on other classes, namely the debuff slots.)
    No, the meta said it.

The game doesn't care what you play, as the game allows for 10-20 max lvl people or a raid of 55s+ to kill 40man bosses. Back in the day people had all kinds of raid / dung groups (those who tried to do endgame that is).

Today the PS community exhausted this version of the game to it's limit and figured out what provides every tiny bit of dps to save precious seconds when racing to server first.

The rest of the community took that mentality and applied it in general, considering anything but the top 3 dps to be a waste of time, as in their minds if you have a single "bad" dps you suddenly spend 1 more hour in the raid. People forget that the scaling from retail isn't in classic, so adding a few bad dps won't matter in the slightest.
    All guilds now got their 20-30 core players that can do the raid, and beyond that they take either alts or randoms as the contribution of the last 10 ppl is irrelevant (dps vise, they still shouldn't F up the mechanics).

Elitist mentality of today's players in general is to blame for the meta.

10+ Year Old Account
    Updating my previous post in this thread:

I've leveled to 60 and think I'm done. It was fine, I didn't rush and when it slowed down greatly toward the end I spread it out even more. I'm happy I did it. I don't need to do it again or the dungeons/raids. So I'm done for now. Perhaps I'll wait a few months and level another character. Or not. Right now I would say I won't but stranger things have happened. If a friend or someone wants someone to level with I'd do that.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I just do it for the LFR raiding and occasional dungeon at this point.

AB might change my mind on PvP, but wPvP is incredibly imbalanced (mostly because nobody wants to lose, so population imbalance is terrible). Ranking is boring and takes a retarded amount of time.

When I played 15 years ago there was like 5 gnomes on a server, now it's over run with try hard mentality and there's fucking gnomes everywhere (just an example). My heavily populated server 15 years ago had areas where you could fucking breathe, now any hot spot is over run by people knowing exactly where and what to farm. Do I blame the players? No. The games just 15 years old, people have meta gamed the shit out of it, and a lot of the population is a mixture of touristy type people and people who have played classic on private servers.

You snooze you lose. Any good experience from classic already came and went.

Fun game, made a lot of new friends along the way, nice guild, nice server in general.

The disappointing aspects of Classic I already expected beforehand. Mainly stemming from the fact that we picked 1.12 as a patch, which not only means all content is nerfed to the ground, but also that everyone already knows everything since this is the exact patch that private servers run (except those generally still use the proper AV instead of the 1.12 one.....). Not that I'm saying the game would have been some incredibly difficult experience otherwise but at least people would have to refigure out certain aspects of the game.

But as a whole, it is refreshing how much more fun and skillbased the game is compared to retail. Maybe not so in raiding, but outside of pve instances there is just so much to do. The first time I vanished a deathcoil again in over 10 or so years felt incredible. That feeling of actually being able to outplay and outskill your opponents, something that has been lacking from retail for so long was amazing. The level of mindgames, execution and reactions are just amazing. And thinking that TBC and Wotlk are going to come just makes me even more excited.

Ultimately though, lets not forget that for most people the reason they play Classic isn't because of some sort of nostalgia or rose-tinted glasses. I started playing the game somewhere at the end of Vanilla or start of TBC. I have no nostalgia towards it. My favourite period of WoW was S6-S8. I would much rather play a new game that is just as good or even better than vanilla/tbc/wotlk. But the truth is, that such a game does not exist. Not in Blizzard's repertoire, nor from any other company. So instead I play classic WoW which is the closest to providing such an experience.

Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    "Been there, done that."
    I second this...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Demsi View Post
    Never got past 46 on my paladin, couldn't take the monotony anymore, was fun for a good while doe

i stopped around 45. It got boring so fast then rest of my guildmates putting a stop at 30's. Only real thing i want to do is WOTLK... that's way later though...

Don't give a shit about the social dynamics or any of the annoying "RP" shit like ammo, reagents, etc.

The loot system is the best it's ever been, and only got worse every expansion. Even the pre BiS loot hunt is far more interesting than anything offered in BC and up. That's my takeaway from Classic.

if you copied Classic's loot to Retail's gameplay, I would be happy.

I played on private servers for years so i was petty familiar with the core concepts. It's great to finally play without worrying about losing my character, or having to constantly use burner accounts.

Been having a blast, I'll see it all the way through Naxx and whatever is beyond that (which I assume is TBC). I'm glad to be home.

Took a while to level but the journey was fun. End game... is ok, we'll see what BWL looks like.

or if still too long

"feels like home, with the odd reservation".
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by varren View Post
    The loot system is the best it's ever been, and only got worse every expansion. Even the pre BiS loot hunt is far more interesting than anything offered in BC and up. That's my takeaway from Classic.
    I mostly agree. The only issue I have with it is tier sets sucking for a lot of specs/classes. I think the later itemization and specialization of tier sets is better.

I thought it was fun for a bit but am def pretty much over it. Also pretty sure this (Tristan Paredes) is Advertise https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Dhr6aMJ_1Q&t=53s so that's exciting

You think you do, but you don't is my TLDR.

i dont have a TLDR for classic, classic to me IS a TLDR.

Got to level 36, asked myself why am I doing this again. Quit

Quote Originally Posted by varren View Post
    Don't give a shit about the social dynamics or any of the annoying "RP" shit like ammo, reagents, etc.

if you copied Classic's loot to Retail's gameplay, I would be happy.
    You mean with things like spirit and intellect being on all gear, even a warrior's? Or a druid's set having every stat in the game therefore making it subpar at every determined role?
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.