Thread: Is it time?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    I am dying for a single-player RPG set in the Warcraft Universe. Just, please, make it happen already... What are we waiting for?!

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Chilton has been working on an unannounced project for ages now and he knows his way around Azeroth. I still don't really see it happening but stranger things, as they say.
    Knowing Blizzard's track record with these things, the stuff Chilton was working on, got cancelled after 4 years of work and now he's onto some other project that never sees the light of day.

They seem to set really high standards on their releases, but due to their glacial development velocity, they never seem to quite meet those standards and we're left with yet another retouch of the games they somehow, miraculously managed to release, back before they were completely paralyzed by having to "get it 100% right"

Instead of Skyrim/Witcher-inspired single-player RPG set in Azeroth, we're probably getting 2020 Lost Vikings Remade.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jikate-Stormrage View Post
    Hearthstone (though it does actually do well I think) came only after decades of Magic the Gathering.
    While I agree with your post - I have to disagree with this one.
    Hearthstone was an experiment to see if Blizzard could release a game using a agile, small team - and they did. While MtG had been out as a game, it didn't really have a good digital online player-vs-player product that appealed to wide audience. HS absolutely dominated the CCG market when it came out.

It was a huge success - and should have shown Blizzard the way forward - but instead of letting it fly and investing into the methodology, they "industrialized" the process and apart from pushing new packs twice a year, nothing much happened with the game. The feature set stagnated, eSports alone couldn't really carry the game, the main devs left Blizzard to start their own studio and streamers started switching to other games.

MtG: Arena is out and suddenly they're facing pretty tough competition. They've started to add new features and innovate again (Battlegrounds) - but now they're back to normal Blizzard glacial development speed, with the rest of their mothership... and I don't know.. I think the window has closed and it's downhill from here.
    Last edited by TwoMana; 2019-12-17 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoMana View Post
    Knowing Blizzard's track record with these things, the stuff Chilton was working on, got cancelled after 4 years of work and now he's onto some other project that never sees the light of day.

They seem to set really high standards on their releases, but due to their glacial development velocity, they never seem to quite meet those standards and we're left with yet another retouch of the games they somehow, miraculously managed to release, back before they were completely paralyzed by having to "get it 100% right"

Instead of Skyrim/Witcher-inspired single-player RPG set in Azeroth, we're probably getting 2020 Lost Vikings Remade.

- - - Updated - - -

While I agree with your post - I have to disagree with this one.
    Hearthstone was an experiment to see if Blizzard could release a game using a agile, small team - and they did. While MtG had been out as a game, it didn't really have a good digital online player-vs-player product that appealed to wide audience. HS absolutely dominated the CCG market when it came out.

It was a huge success - and should have shown Blizzard the way forward - but instead of letting it fly and investing into the methodology, they "industrialized" the process and apart from pushing new packs twice a year, nothing much happened with the game. The feature set stagnated, eSports alone couldn't really carry the game, the main devs left Blizzard to start their own studio and streamers started switching to other games.

MtG: Arena is out and suddenly they're facing pretty tough competition. They've started to add new features and innovate again (Battlegrounds) - but now they're back to normal Blizzard glacial development speed, with the rest of their mothership... and I don't know.. I think the window has closed and it's downhill from here.
    Thank you for your input, as you can see in the quote I was unsure about Hearthstone. I don’t play it, nor have I kept up with its development, so I kept it ambiguous.

Thank you for adding quality detail to its issues.

I am not at all convinced that Blizzard has the writers to give us a half-way decent CRPG. So no, not time.
    Hail Lilith and see you in Hell!

I don't think they can create a good enough story or make good enough characters to justify making such an RPG.

Warcraft as a franchise has been completely exhausted. Look at the next expansion they're releasing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I am not at all convinced that Blizzard has the writers to give us a half-way decent CRPG. So no, not time.
    While that may be a very valid concern, an RPG doesn’t suffer from the same issues an MMO does. I think (hope) that many of the writing issues stem from trying to fit an otherwise ok story into the constraints of an MMO. Let’s dive deeper.

There can be no outright winner or loser in an MMO with two factions, you face alienating half the players.

Blizzard has shown they don’t really like ending plot hooks. Players experience is too embedded in the NPCs story, that to lose an NPC risks the same as the first.

Up until the end of legion the game was fairly steeped in lore from the original Warcraft games (yes, even pandas). However with the destruction of the burning legion, they are basically creating new ground. The problem tho is that an MMO is difficult medium to do this. They spread their stories out so thin, they don’t always feel they have substance. Which moves to my next point:

Gameplay over lore. Sometimes you simply have to shed story to make the game (MMO) function logically. This can only be a negative.

With their stories spread so thin, I think they have just not capitalized on what others would deem decent characters; falling short of fleshing them out properly. See: Yrel, Wrathion, hell we only spent a little time with Rhastakan. All of those could have been well designed fleshed out characters with entire stories to tell.

Can you think of a few I have missed? Or do you think an RPG would suffer the same issues? For you, is it a Blizzard problem or a design constraint?

Cheers!

Can you think of a few I have missed? Or do you think an RPG would suffer the same issues? For you, is it a Blizzard problem or a design constraint?

Cheers!
    For one thing, there is a fanbase problem. I fear that the fanbase would enter a Warcraft CRPG with certain preconceptions. Fundamentally, many would expect the ability to represent their favored faction as the protagonist which calls for either a diluted story, an extremely ambitious entry game (think DA:O, which is a rarity) or a multiple campaign game more akin to RTS storytelling (which is the only thing they can show experience at).

Blizzard has shown they don’t really like ending plot hooks. Players experience is too embedded in the NPCs story, that to lose an NPC risks the same as the first.
    Blizzard has always reminded me of a poor RPG player who ends the game with bags full of consumables. They see plot hooks but never resolve them. This is what you do when writing for Tabletop RPGs (because the assumption is, individual campaigns will then get to resolve them in their own way); not in a CRPG where people expect that by the end of the RPG (or at least by the end of the series for trilogies and the like) most of the stories will have an end and most mysteries will be revealed or at least be given a few plausible explanations.
    I am not sure this is a design choice on Blizzard's part however. I don't think they fail to resolve plots because they want to have them available for later. I just think it is an organizational failure. Blizzard lacks what many large campaign worlds have treasured; a master of lore that gets a final say. ESO profits from that extremely well (Zenimax has an official Lore Master position) and many famous fantasy campaign worlds have revered founding authors that are given a final say (and straying from their guidance can be punishing to the brand as can be seen with 4E FR and how Ed Greenwood was just allowed to fully reset the setting with 5E)
    Blizzard simply does not resolve plot hooks because no one seems to have the authority to resolve them or whoever does have that authority is seemingly unwilling to ever use it. And such a structure would be toxic to a CRPG.
    Hail Lilith and see you in Hell!