Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    The new #1 always sells better than subsequent or previous issues. Even a top seller can always sell more.

There are also artistic reasons for doing so. Frequently, a series will re-launch when a new writer comes aboard or it creates a convenient jumping on point for new readers.
    the fact that even top selling can sell more show that printing number 1's tells you nothing about how good a book is going.

Explain how Spider-Gwen sounds like a legit super-hero name? Its pretty stupid if you think about it and is likely a hold-over from her early appearances. I don't think Marvel was expecting the character to get as popular as it is.

Ghost Spider works because shes a spider-person with a very well-liked white costume.
    I'm talking about form a readers perspective not an in universe one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Two separate counts here - one is from Marvel Comics #1000, a big commemorative issue. Mark Waid penned a piece about Captain America's relevance in the 1940s and how it still applies today:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-issue-1234909

Apparently telling people America isn't perfect and we should fight for a better tomorrow is too political lol.

Secondly, Art Spiegelman (of Maus fame) wrote this piece which you can read in full at the below link, but was told to censor it by Marvel:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...ise-of-fascism

So I'm sure all those people who wring their hands over censorship and free speech will ride to the rescue here, right?
    But whatever happened to free speech not applying to companies?

You're not "owed" to have your views heard, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    That is because they were brought by Disney and the success of the movies have kept the company afloat. The comics themselves have been tanking in sales for years.

That article is nearly 3 years old and the comment was ripped out of context.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    But whatever happened to free speech not applying to companies?

You're not "owed" to have your views heard, etc.
    No one is saying that they should be forced to allow it.

People are saying that it’s weak and cowardly for comics to self-censor and goes against the long and poignant history of superhero comics taking decisive stances against social injustices, whether it be indirect references (the x-men wherein anti-mutant oppression is an allegory for racism,) direct references (many comic book superheroes and characters taking up civil rights causes) or straight-up Captain America decking nazis.

It’s pretty moronic to say that one’s comic book characters stand for truth and justice while actively avoiding (and in this case, discouraging) addressing the mistruths and injustices in the real world. And Trump and his administration are a pretty big example of both.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2019-12-19 at 12:27 PM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Makes sense I guess, though I can’t say I get how ghost spider is different enough from spider women but spider Gwen isn’t.

But I’ve never read any actual spider Gwen issues and have only seen her in cross overs so I don’t even know what she goes by in her own universe.
    In her own universe she goes by Spider-woman, Spider-Gwen is a nickname given by IRL fans that gained enough traction to be the name of her book.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    In her own universe she goes by Spider-woman, Spider-Gwen is a nickname given by IRL fans that gained enough traction to be the name of her book.
    Plus, there's the fact that Jessica Drew's got dibs on "Spider-Woman" in Earth-616 continuity. She's got nearly 40 years of precedence over Earth-65's Gwen Stacy for the name, in comics history.

This also lets this Gwen Stacy become a proper character in her own right rather than just another universes hero-swapped "Spider-man".

Marvel has always had political and social messages embedded in it. As a veteran, I can tell you that escapism comes from people reading comics as kids and not understanding the political and social messages. Kids just go along with it because they know very little.

Then they get older and something about their favorite comic series changes, and they suddenly feel the comic has become too political, just because they don't like the issue being addressed.

People forget that comics got their start as political devices in newspapers in the 19th century, and the modern super hero comic got its start off the back of comic sections in the early 20th century.

I realize most people don't read newspapers these days, but pick up any newspaper section and flip to the funnies. There's a lot of comics with benign messaging, but you will often find comics address some kind of current political or social issue.

There's two dimensions to this topic.

The first one: is Art Spiegelman right?

Yeah,absolutely yes.Some people may like it and some other don't but everyone that understand the character knows that Steve Rogers would be outraged (if not raiding ICE detention centers) the very second he knew kids are being kept in cages separated from their families as a disgusting mechanism for sending a message.
    Steve Rogers is a physical idealization of a human beign ( as fast a human can be, as strong as a human being can be....) but let's not forget that he is a moral idealization too.You can't find a Whiter Knight than Steve ( not even Superman) ,that's not possible because he is , more than a character, the embodiment of a number of moral principles that flag supposedly stand for. He is a symbol to inspire that push us to raise our moral standars.Rogers is not just "a good guy" ( Peter Parker is a good guy) but a character with an halo of moral perfection.

The second one: is Ike Perlmutter right?

Well his business his rules but there's something important to see here. Ike (we all know Ike,right?) has already lost his war to control Marvel Studios.He losed SO Hard that Kevin Feige don't have any problem anymore in making public the internal struggle by slapping him in the face that Ike opposed to produce Black Panther and Captain Marvel. It's like pointing at him and saying:"You see that guy over there? He is the dumbass who almost lose 2.5 billions (including the 4th biggest USA box office in history)".

There is no war anymore. Feige won ( 26 billions of reasons) and Iger gave him complete undisputed creative control over Marvel Studios.

The thing to consider here is that comic readers are used to some heroic ideals. Everyone understand that Tony Stark could be living la vida loca,getting laid with supermodels and jumping from party to party because he is handsome,charming,smart,billionaire...and instead of that he choose to risk his life ( and lose it both in the MCU and in E616) to protect those who can not protect themselves. The fact that Peter Parket sense of responsibility fucks his personal life is a recurrent theme of the character till Parker Industries.
    A superhero is not a superhero because he has superpowers ( many examples of that) but because he behave in a heroic way.

Mess with the narratives that push heroic ideals and maybe Ike lose control over the editorial too. Up to you Ike.

Quote Originally Posted by BoltBlaster View Post
    Its a business decision and correct one. Politics divide, which causes them to lose customers. Doesn't matter if their message is left or right or whatever - its irrelevant. Old comics always promoted patriotism and weren't specific to some party and that's the way it should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    So you don't read comics got it.
    It's inescapable. Even the freaking My Little Pony comics had one on the inefficacy of the US Prohibition Era. (Issue #63)

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    It's inescapable. Even the freaking My Little Pony comics had one on the inefficacy of the US Prohibition Era. (Issue #63)
    Reminds me even Teen Titans GO had an episode in regards to Nixon monetary policy.