Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    Worth noting someone can tell lies while thinking they're being honest. If you've been taught a lie, believe it to be true, and repeat the lie, you're still propagating a lie. A lot of people seem to think Anduin is some Machiavellian schemer who willingly lies to his people. I believe Anduin's lies were/are/shall be (depending on what they end up being) unintentional in nature, as is his sitting at 'the Master's table.' At the end of the day, Anduin is naive, and someone could easily manipulate him into pursuing a course of action that benefits the Void's goals and convincingly feed him lies or omit information that causes him to essentially lie when he relies on the incomplete information.
    Hits the nail of my perception on the head. Though I am personally not convinced it’s the Void doing the lying or even the the Masters table referring to some Void entity.

Generally speaking, for manipulation to occur, some part of the communication must be true. How large or small that truth is may vary. I honestly believe that he does sit at a Masters table, and the lies are ones he’s telling himself.

I am doing this to stop people’s death. (This justifies the actions taken, even against popularity)

We can all live in peace. (You can live in tolerance, but not true peace because all nations have their needs, and those needs will often be at odds with each other; and peace is not something that results from force)

I believe strongly in the Light, it is the ultimate good, and everything else is Evil (100% good or 100% evil) (this is a fallacy because nothing is quite so easily cut and dry, balance is a concept that centers around this, try to do what’s right while understanding good and evil and where they belong in the natural world) (they must belong if for no other reason than to create options, “all killing is evil!! But our bodies require a certain level of protein to function properly” if that makes sense)

Having a Light or Void to offer an individual a compass to choose their direction in life is a good thing. To inform their decisions and society.

But having absolute obedience to something in your life that only serves to force choices on you, even if you aren’t quite happy with the result or method...well that just creates slavery to a system. And I think that is what the void and light offers in WoW. They are opposing forces that force obedience, while the truly best path is walking the thin line on the edge of the coin. We live in a grey world, nothing is simple. Nor should it be. If everything were simple, we’d never question our beliefs or values.

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    Worth noting someone can tell lies while thinking they're being honest. If you've been taught a lie, believe it to be true, and repeat the lie, you're still propagating a lie. A lot of people seem to think Anduin is some Machiavellian schemer who willingly lies to his people. I believe Anduin's lies were/are/shall be (depending on what they end up being) unintentional in nature, as is his sitting at 'the Master's table.' At the end of the day, Anduin is naive, and someone could easily manipulate him into pursuing a course of action that benefits the Void's goals and convincingly feed him lies or omit information that causes him to essentially lie when he relies on the incomplete information.
    That's not telling a lie, that's making a mistake. If you meet an ignorant who is convinced that 2+2=5, he's not really lying, he's just making a mistake. You are lying when you know that what you are telling is BS.
    Expansion Storylines ranking:

Legion > Cataclysm > MoP > BfA up to 8.2.5 > Wrath > TBC > WoD > Dragonflight > BfA 8.3 > Shadowlands

One of the lies was about Bolvar's fate.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

I am not into lore, so correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Wrathion a sort of heir to his father's "throne"? Seems to me he lies a lot too /shrug

Inb4 he lies to Taelia about her father.
    Scheduled weekly maintenance caught me by surprise.

He bad written character, the blizzard has no plans for his future "boy king" not him. He useless character, even developers hate him, this speculation does not make sense

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwijello View Post
    I am not into lore, so correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Wrathion a sort of heir to his father's "throne"? Seems to me he lies a lot too /shrug
    Except Deathwing never had a throne and was never king, nor did he ever want or aspire to be. The "prince" in Wrathion, the Black Prince is more metaphorical than actual, it's not like there's any throne to ascend to - and in any case his father is already dead so he wouldn't be a prince anymore to begin with. And that's not even going into the reasoning of whether you could call Wrathion "boy".

People are right to point out that a "lie" is different from something that simply isn't true, namely by virtue of intent. If I tell you something that isn't true but I don't know it is, I didn't lie - but if I know it's not true and tell you anyway, I did.

Bolvar's fate would be one identifiable lie, as Anduin was in fact let in on the secret but maintained the lie that Bolvar is dead. Though I suppose this raises the question of who the "you" in the prophecy is supposed to be - we as players were, of course, in the know from the start. So who is Anduin lying to? 'The people'?

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    I always thought Anduin being the "Boy King with 3 lies" was a red herring and the real "Boy King" hasn't been shown yet.
    Blizzard rarely does red herrings.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WKOstarion View Post
    on the official WoW forums for lore and story there was a good thread discussing this at length. i am in agreement with some of the points made there.

during the battle for lordaeron cutscene when anduin confronts sylvanas in the throne room he says, "only one of us wanted this war" and i believe that is one of the lies.
    I am still waiting for an edit of that cutscene where he says "only one of us wanted this war" and looks down on his dog.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

Maybe that boy king is the Wrathion

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by united View Post
    Assuming that the “prophecy” is accurate, what do you think Anduin’s 3 lies are? I’ll start:

“Wrathion and I are just friends.”

“I value the Night Elves’ opinion on how to handle things.”

“I believe the Horde won’t do anything bad from here on out, Thrall and Baine will keep them in check.”
    Just stop with this trolling BS...no matter how much you want to force it so you can make all your stupid gay jokes, there is nothing that points to that.

Quote Originally Posted by vipers View Post
    Maybe that boy king is the Wrathion
    I would sort this in the same boat as people trying to argue "Lady cloaked in dark swirlies" to mean Alleria instead of Sylvanas when all the signs pointed to her.
    The Old God prophecies are not really that deep or complex, the answer to what they are about is obvious the second it becomes relevant, and the answer is usually what everyone first thought.

The boy king offering 3 lies is the closest to being ambigious because of the different meanings of a lie. Meaning it can mean someone lying to themselves, or lying without knowing, or even just lies for non-malicious reasons in addition to the usual meaning of a flat lie meant to decieve

When it comes to these prophecies i would caution not looking too deep into them, or you might just get lost.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

I always thought Anduin being the "Boy King with 3 lies" was a red herring and the real "Boy King" hasn't been shown yet.
    Wrathion may be considered a boy king.

10+ Year Old Account
    Assuming that the “prophecy” is accurate, what do you think Anduin’s 3 lies are? I’ll start:

“I believe the Horde won’t do anything bad from here on out, Thrall and Baine will keep them in check.”
    #1 and #3 sound much more like naivete than actual lies.
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

Have you considered that the boy king could be Wrathion?
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WKOstarion View Post
    "The void elves may be a recent addition to our ranks, but Alleria Windrunner is one of our greatest heroes. Under her tutelage, the powers you wield will aid our cause."

i believe the bold part to be the lie. anduin is a priest and the light cannot exist with the shadow. him a priest should know this belief and that lie will show itself as true when the void elves eventually betray all those who are now shadow-aligned.
    Even Turalyon doesn't believe that the Light and Shadow cannot exist together... Their marriage continuing to function is more than enough proof that there is no conflict there.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

3+ Year Old Account

The first one was funny.

The other 2 sounds like just bad judgment or being wrong, doesn't sound like lies.

It’s got to be Wrathion if it’s not Anduin. He is still just a boy but looks older now.

I don't think there are any and I don't think that there will be any. It's something they've set up and planned to do something with, and now they're dropping it. Like the whole "at the hour of her third death" nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarious Tea View Post
    Have you considered that the boy king could be Wrathion?
    Yep. Seems more like it would be him.

10+ Year Old Account

The last one could just be a gullible statement, thus not a lie.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..