Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenebra the War Criminal View Post
    Yeah, Mr. "I turned my father from a warmonger into a pacifist", Mr. "I'll free this orc so that he can end the war quickly and without any bloodshed" totally wanted to start a world war deep down.
    If he didn't he showed stupid ways to show it. Keeping Genn around and being an idiot at the meeting or allowing SI7 to run riot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    If he didn't he showed stupid ways to show it. Keeping Genn around and being an idiot at the meeting or allowing SI7 to run riot.
    All of which are not lies. Besides he's not meant to be an idiot, in fact he's described as wise beyond his years, but they needed to dumb him down so that the Morally Grey abomination could start her little war.
    Expansion Storylines ranking:

Legion > Cataclysm > MoP > BfA up to 8.2.5 > Wrath > TBC > WoD > Dragonflight > BfA 8.3 > Shadowlands

Do you want to know why Anduin is not the object of that prophecy? Because he has light-infused bones that hurt whenever he does something that the Light deems bad. So I am not believing that theory until I hear Anduin complaining about bone pain.
    Dear god the amount of handwringing and complaining about that throwaway one off line of his from Before the Storm is really nuts lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshingo View Post
    Dear god the amount of handwringing and complaining about that throwaway one off line of his from Before the Storm is really nuts lol.
    Now explain to me where I am complaining. It's a canon fact which I pointed out, you are the one complaining for absolutely no reason whatsoever.
    Expansion Storylines ranking:

Legion > Cataclysm > MoP > BfA up to 8.2.5 > Wrath > TBC > WoD > Dragonflight > BfA 8.3 > Shadowlands

Adding to the pile of people who say it's Wrathion. He's a shady, untrustworthy boi and becomes a boss in the next raid. It never made any sense for Anduin besides ham fistedly shoving "boy king" everywhere into the dialogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Niroshi View Post
    Adding to the pile of people who say it's Wrathion. He's a shady, untrustworthy boi and becomes a boss in the next raid. It never made any sense for Anduin besides ham fistedly shoving "boy king" everywhere into the dialogue.
    What is Wrathion the King of?
    change can't wait.

I've never thought that prophecy was about Andruin in the first place. Too obvious. Wraithion is a little more likely, bit also too cliche.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by united View Post
    What is Wrathion the King of?
    The Black Dragonflight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe the three lies mean lying down, so Anduin's lays.

If only WoW is that kind of franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    One of the lies was about Bolvar's fate.
    Has anyone mention'd Ogmot's Dream Journal from the end of legion? Seems to indicate Anduin has already told the first the lie and if the journal is to be believed, at the end of legion the 2nd lie was coming soon. Assuming it's actually about Anduin.

Page 3 - https://www.wowhead.com/item=156852/...-dream-journal
    "Three lies. Da first one been told.

Bound by dat throne? No. Free. Free!

Da next gonna come soon. Maybe dey see dis one."

I always felt it was possible that the 'boy king' was more like 'new king' and referring to the new lich king. Meaning, the lich king lied to us during the legion DK story and then the 2nd lie was him saying he had no hand in Vol'jin's fate. But that's probably a low possibility.

Blizzard usually does stuff pretty on-the-nose so it's most likely about Anduin. Sylvanas even calls him boy king in one or more cut scenes/cinematics.

7+ Year Old Account
    Besides he's not meant to be an idiot, in fact he's described as wise beyond his years, but they needed to dumb him down so that the Morally Grey abomination could start her little war.
    He's not the only one, either. The majority of the other leaders were made a joke just so the faction war could happen. Heck, if the Horde leaders acted in-character, they'd just let Sylvanas fail alone because they know there's nothing good coming for them from renewing a war that never brought anything good - more so on the urges of a paranoid corpse supported by a greedy goblin.

Game narrative can only focus on so many characters at once and a plot like the faction war was will always need a massive amount of weird moves, deus-ex-machinas, and other shenanigans just to set it up, let alone to continue that story - and can never bring a satisfying conclusion. Partially because of the narrative limitations, partially because of game engine limitations (probably hard-coded with two factions that must survive as they are instead of evolving).

We can likely expect several more weird and awful twists coming in Shadowlands.

Do you want to know why Anduin is not the object of that prophecy? Because he has light-infused bones that hurt whenever he does something that the Light deems bad. So I am not believing that theory until I hear Anduin complaining about bone pain.

I can't really think what the lies could be either, because Anduin just isn't the type who would lie. Even when he screws things up, he does things in good faith and not to willingly sabotage others.
    What if that was him being corrupted by the Divine Bell (as it was an Old God-infused artifact)? Bellular has a nice video about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Draeth View Post
    The Black Dragonflight.
    I.e. himself. Well, Ebonhorn too, i guess.

But Wrathion does not become a raid boss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    Maybe the three lies mean lying down, so Anduin's lays.

If only WoW is that kind of franchise.
    Nah, the quote was "three lies he will tell you". Would have to have been "three lays he will tell you about".

“Wrathion and I are just friends.”
    The internet is still light on fan art involving their grown up models, but I am sure it's a matter of time before the shipping elevates to a new level.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    But Wrathion does not become a raid boss.
    Prepare to be disappointed (spoilers).
    We purify him, but we still fight him, thus, boss.

If you want his actual lies:

- "I cant be the king you were."
    - "Only one of us wanted this war."
    - "I cant stop her, not alone."

- Anduin knew he could take the hard choices needed to be king, he already knew from his fathers actions what a king must do.
    - Anduin did acknowledge after Calia died that Sylvanas had to die, book stuff specifically but he admitted to even Genn she was beyond saving.
    - Anduin used Saurfang to force a peaceful outcome for the Horde by manipulating him into an honorable death.

In short those are your three lies, most likley.

Does any of the speculations takes "white lies" into account - lies used for soothing people, to shed them from hard truths?

You know, there are some people who would want to know if their wife / husband has cheated on them, because only then they can work it out and decide what to do next - and others would rather stay oblivious, if this cheating does not lead to a breakup and was "an accident" which is not repeated again and again. Covering up the cheating in the latter case would be some kind of an extreme "white lie".

Are there any examples of these? Because any kind of "white lie" could fit Anduin quite fine. Lying for the sake of "protecting others", with the best intentions.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post

- Anduin knew he could take the hard choices needed to be king, he already knew from his fathers actions what a king must do.
    - Anduin did acknowledge after Calia died that Sylvanas had to die, book stuff specifically but he admitted to even Genn she was beyond saving.
    - Anduin used Saurfang to force a peaceful outcome for the Horde by manipulating him into an honorable death.

As for #1 - not sure if this is exactly a lie - it's more about self-doubt than anything else
    As for #2 - this is more about necessary evil than wanting a war.
    As for #3 - this did not really need too much manipulation because Saurfang wanted such a death, aided by his own guilt from being first manipulated by Sylvanas into making a plan that would start the war. Whether he could actually stop her alone is something we might never know - unless Sylvanas will get the Garrosh treatment - we play fight with her at the end of a quest then Anduin comes and smites the hell out of her in a duel. (insert "not a Garrosh 2.0" comment here)

I'm not saying it can't qualify but I would think there would be something major, some actual, full-meant lie and not wishful hopes caused by self-doubt.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by scubi666stacy View Post
    Does any of the speculations takes "white lies" into account - lies used for soothing people, to shed them from hard truths?

(clipped)

Are there any examples of these? Because any kind of "white lie" could fit Anduin quite fine. Lying for the sake of "protecting others", with the best intentions.
    From what I quoted, the middle one might be if he really saw the war as an inevitable, necessary evil to eventually put her out of power.

Also, when it comes to knowing Bolvar's fate - the initial lie should be credited to Tirion, on Bolvar's request. Most of the people who know (lore-wise) decided to honor Bolvar's wish, for whatever it's worth now, so it's not just Anduin's lie.
    Last edited by Mahmeya; 2019-12-18 at 02:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ogmot's dream journal tell his first lie (being bound to the throne when he isn't), the other 2 are vague. Peace is not so easily won and you have to hold people accountable for their actions. He forsake a ally and lied to himself that the war is over when some of his allies are in complete turmoil. He is building a house of cards and it will fall and when it do people will not look at him the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post

Hmmm, that made me rethink some stuff now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    Worth noting someone can tell lies while thinking they're being honest. If you've been taught a lie, believe it to be true, and repeat the lie, you're still propagating a lie. A lot of people seem to think Anduin is some Machiavellian schemer who willingly lies to his people. I believe Anduin's lies were/are/shall be (depending on what they end up being) unintentional in nature, as is his sitting at 'the Master's table.' At the end of the day, Anduin is naive, and someone could easily manipulate him into pursuing a course of action that benefits the Void's goals and convincingly feed him lies or omit information that causes him to essentially lie when he relies on the incomplete information.
    There's a difference. To tell a lie, you must know what you're saying is a lie. To lie is to deceive, so if you truly believe what you're saying is true, even if it's not, then there is no intention to deceive, therefore it's not a lie. It's a mistake.

For example:
    • Tirion telling people that Bolvar is dead: he knows Bolvar is alive. There is an intention to deceive. Therefore it's a lie.
    • Shopkeeper telling customer saying Bolvar is dead: the shopkeeper does not know Bolvar is dead. There is no intention to deceive. Therefore it's not a lie.
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

Assuming that the “prophecy” is accurate, what do you think Anduin’s 3 lies are? I’ll start:
    “Wrathion and I are just friends.”
    I see what you are trying to do. Are some people still obsess with this? Did something change? Have not played for a while, did something change?

“I believe the Horde won’t do anything bad from here on out, Thrall and Baine will keep them in check.”
    Not really a lie. The Horde could go opposite to where he hope they would go. That makes him wrong, not making a lie.