Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Does anyone else feel the game becoming like a job?

I don't mean in the sense of all the hard work you have to do, and the hours you have to put in. If anything the game is easier that way now.

I more so mean you have something you do everyday, and over the course of years they slowly start to change things for the worst, at first you think to yourself .. well it's not that bad I can live with this, but after awhile they start to add up. So you go to your boss ( offical forums ) and you ask for reasonable things to make life more enjoyable and it would not even effect the work product! ( Revert GCD, Flying , Account wide Essences , Un-Prune our classes..etc ). And your boss obviously wanting to keep you happy tells you what you want to hear, that their listening and they'll see what they can do, but despite the entire workplace all being on board with the changes very vocally, it still remains the same and even gets worse. Until one day you finally say to yourself, life is to short and you find another job with better pay and less stress with things you enjoy ( a cheaper game, with good systems in place ).

Obviously it's not exactly the same, but honestly for a game that's made for fun, and made for us the paying audience, something as simple as account wide essences would be amazing and add so much fun to the game, and no one I mean no one would be opposed to the idea, they even ask for it frequently! But is just sadly ignored. It starts to feel like one of those work places where any good enjoyable or creative ideas are nodded at and never taken into account.

Anyone else feel this way trying to stick out the game for better times?

P.S I do still really enjoy the game, I just don't get why really good fun ideas that everyone's on board with are ignored or fixed insanely late.

Please show me literally anything this fucking community is ever "on board" with?

The problem isn't your boss. It's the fact that your co-workers hate their job so fucking much they blame their boss for their own self-inflicted misery.

I agree with you and my problem is the way they do time gating. Say you can only play on weekends you are completely screwed compared to someone who can log in and do the daily chores in zones like nazjatar or mechagon. Even if you have unlimited time on weekends theres no way to recover if you cant dump an hour or so in every day. I don't mind a grind when you can grind at your own pace whether its no life or in tiny chunks but when its stuff like the arbitrary hold the hand of this follower for 3 missions each day for a month to get your essence I don't have fun with that.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Please show me literally anything this fucking community is ever "on board" with?

The problem isn't your boss. It's the fact that your co-workers hate their job so fucking much they blame their boss for their own self-inflicted misery.
    No one was asking for the GCD change, and I don't remember people saying please remove all flavour spells. But mainly everyone unless you can find someone who didn't... wanted essences to be account wide and a neck catch up to be implemented long before it was for alts .

I think most people are typically on the same page, just not the minority that use forums and like to play devils advocate.

I think some of this has to do with how you want to "get paid". Perhaps one needs to manage their expectations. If you want a job at a top performing company, then you need to also be top performing. If you want a job that is more laid back and allows you to spend time with friends and family, then you may need to give up some of those tasks - along with the 'pay' for them - or perhaps get a different job.

AoE looting in retail. I don't recall many - if any - being opposed to that change. 99.99% of players were on board with that!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Paperfox View Post
    I think some of this has to do with how you want to "get paid". Perhaps one needs to manage their expectations. If you want a job at a top performing company, then you need to also be top performing. If you want a job that is more laid back and allows you to spend time with friends and family, then you may need to give up some of those tasks - along with the 'pay' for them - or perhaps get a different job.
    Are you insinuating that gamers ought to earn their right to play Blizzard games?

10+ Year Old Account

This is a great and accurate post. It's so spicy and concise.

10+ Year Old Account
    It can sometimes feel a little bit like a job at certain points near the end of a patch or expansion. The trick is to give it a rest for a few days.

If what you really wanted to talk about account-wide essences, there's already a thread for that.

If you view the game as requiring a large time investment and it's "hard work" then it's understandable how it takes on the aspects of a job whether you're in denial about that or not. It's even more the case if you're in a guild (office) that requires you to be there on certain days at certain times (clocking in).

It's OK to walk away from the game now and then for a few days, weeks or longer. Whatever keeps it fresh for you.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2019-12-21 at 08:19 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

No - not at all, but just like anything in life - if you really try - you can make it seem like a job.

Thankfully - there isn't any grind any more, even the emissaries mean you can log in every 3 days without losing progress - and it is so easy to progress now that you only really need to log in once a week.

For me - the only downside the game now is since classic released, the player base got fractured - so I never got to finish the raid.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BetrayedOf52 View Post
    I don't mean in the sense of all the hard work you have to do, and the hours you have to put in. If anything the game is easier that way now.

I more so mean you have something you do everyday, and over the course of years they slowly start to change things for the worst, at first you think to yourself .. well it's not that bad I can live with this, but after awhile they start to add up. So you go to your boss ( offical forums ) and you ask for reasonable things to make life more enjoyable and it would not even effect the work product! ( Revert GCD, Flying , Account wide Essences , Un-Prune our classes..etc ). And your boss obviously wanting to keep you happy tells you what you want to hear, that their listening and they'll see what they can do, but despite the entire workplace all being on board with the changes very vocally, it still remains the same and even gets worse. Until one day you finally say to yourself, life is to short and you find another job with better pay and less stress with things you enjoy ( a cheaper game, with good systems in place ).

Obviously it's not exactly the same, but honestly for a game that's made for fun, and made for us the paying audience, something as simple as account wide essences would be amazing and add so much fun to the game, and no one I mean no one would be opposed to the idea, they even ask for it frequently! But is just sadly ignored. It starts to feel like one of those work places where any good enjoyable or creative ideas are nodded at and never taken into account.

Anyone else feel this way trying to stick out the game for better times?

P.S I do still really enjoy the game, I just don't get why really good fun ideas that everyone's on board with are ignored or fixed insanely late.
    8.3 apparently helps with this a bit but there will always be a daily list of things to do. the important thing is for Blizzard to make it fun, not a chore

No one was asking for the GCD change, and I don't remember people saying please remove all flavour spells. But mainly everyone unless you can find someone who didn't... wanted essences to be account wide and a neck catch up to be implemented long before it was for alts .

I think most people are typically on the same page, just not the minority that use forums and like to play devils advocate.
    No one asked for taxes. but they are needed.
    The GCD change was needed to stop stuff like the 1 hit kill macro
    "Press 1 button, both trinkets and 4 dps cooldowns all used at once then you press 1 spell"

Like the GCD change literally effected nothing but dps cooldowns really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay first of all. There are no ideas, literally none, for WoW that 'everyone' would be on board with. Since your post is a thinly-veiled 'account wide essences' rant, I'll start with that. As hard as it might be for you to believe, there are people who don't like account-wide stuff (yes, really), just as there are people who think more things should be. For example there are people who feel like account-wide mounts devalued their efforts to unlock things like Netherwing on more than one toon.

And the idea that they never listen to players is absolute nonsense, because WoW has undergone countless changes based on player feedback - as far back as vanilla. I can speak firsthand of that as I've seen my feedback/suggestions result in changes in several expansion beta tests.

But yeah, put a sock in the "no one I mean no one would be opposed to the idea" talk because that is a farce. Just because you want it, and a couple dozen other people in the echo chamber that is this forum want it, doesn't mean everyone wants it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ErrandRunner View Post
    AoE looting in retail. I don't recall many - if any - being opposed to that change. 99.99% of players were on board with that!
    You realize that less than like, 1% OF 1% of the people who play this game actively use the forums, yes? So you actually have no idea at all how 99.99% of players feel about anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    No one was asking for the GCD change
    People were talking about warriors popping all their cooldowns during a leap and instantgibbing them, blizzard looked into this issue and made a change to GCDs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

10+ Year Old Account

There are actually many, many people who have complained over the years about 'blow everything' macros that people used in PvP to nuke other players, and those were a direct result of DPS cooldowns not being on the GCD.

People on this forum really, really need to stop with the 'no one' and 'everyone' arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    No one asked for taxes. but they are needed.
    The GCD change was needed to stop stuff like the 1 hit kill macro
    "Press 1 button, both trinkets and 4 dps cooldowns all used at once then you press 1 spell"

Like the GCD change literally effected nothing but dps cooldowns really.
    Yeah, GCD is there to prevent stuff like this from happening, then for some reason we started getting those abilities off GCD (interrupts being off GCD is one of the best things they could do for PvE, but it kinda ruined PvP for casters, at least remove fucking cast pushback assholes)
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

One of the things I would like to see, is week wide grinds, instead of daily grinds. The weekly M+ chest is a good example. You have 7 days to do this one chore, you can chill and build up a key, get it over with asap, or not do it at all.

What if, instead of getting one cache per day, up to 3, you were handed 7 every week after reset? You now get the choice of whether you want to get it out of the way, do it slow and steadily, or not bother at all.

At the same time, add more grinds that can be done in a week's time. Complete 10 dungeons with group finder, do 10 amount of battlegrounds, collect 150 profession materials etcetera. Or do this together with daily grinds. If you have bigger grinds that get completed semi automatically with the smaller ones, it feels more rewarding. Wanna do a WQ for one of your caches? There happens to be one for a dungeon? Great, you can now do that dungeon and get 2 marks of your grind done at the same time.

Add badges, vendors, cosmetics and you got a system that can do fairly well as an expansion standard. World quests were cool the first few months of legion, but they don't compliment anything, they're just there to be a singular, daily grind. If you create grind systems that don't have to be done, but compliment each other, the grind will feel less tedious.

Quote Originally Posted by spalernTJ View Post
    One of the things I would like to see, is week wide grinds, instead of daily grinds. The weekly M+ chest is a good example. You have 7 days to do this one chore, you can chill and build up a key, get it over with asap, or not do it at all.

What if, instead of getting one cache per day, up to 3, you were handed 7 every week after reset? You now get the choice of whether you want to get it out of the way, do it slow and steadily, or not bother at all.

At the same time, add more grinds that can be done in a week's time. Complete 10 dungeons with group finder, do 10 amount of battlegrounds, collect 150 profession materials etcetera. Or do this together with daily grinds. If you have bigger grinds that get completed semi automatically with the smaller ones, it feels more rewarding. Wanna do a WQ for one of your caches? There happens to be one for a dungeon? Great, you can now do that dungeon and get 2 marks of your grind done at the same time.

Add badges, vendors, cosmetics and you got a system that can do fairly well as an expansion standard. World quests were cool the first few months of legion, but they don't compliment anything, they're just there to be a singular, daily grind. If you create grind systems that don't have to be done, but compliment each other, the grind will feel less tedious.
    Well boy will you be happy.
    Invasions are like over 5 days.
    your visions have infinite time (you get X amount per week, but really you can just hold onto them and do all of them at once 8 weeks later)

Mythic raiding defenitly can make you feel like this game is your job. If you don't want to suffer for months wiping x hundered times you need good guild and good guild require you to have alts, high neck level, high essences level etc on 2 or even 3 characters so they can switch raid compositions.

if you don't do it you can be replaced by someone who will just like in job. bad workers are replaced.

Sad but true.

its been like that for a while now :?

10+ Year Old Account

People were complaining about macros basically activating god mode. People also complained that certain spells were just useless flavor that did nothing and werent worth a rotation spot.

And even if i want account wide essences, i saw people on this very forum arguing that it made people with only one character devalued.