Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ...
3
11
12
13
14
15
23
... LastLast
  1. #241
    Quote Originally Posted by gd8 View Post
    Pre-mor is really cheesy and nonthreatening it's kind of making the show feel like a syfy channel ripoff of star wars to me
    I don't think Star Wars villains need to be dudes in white armor or black robes from now until the heat death of the universe. But their leader is basically supposed to be non-threatening. He's the cliché "ambitious but in over his head lieutenant."

  2. #242
    I can't wait for the berrating this officer is going to get.

    Instead of ignoring the 2 deaths like the main boss said, He has now lead another 7? to their deaths.

    Great job.

    Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz

  3. #243
    Scarab Lord Ihavewaffles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    The spice must flow!
    Posts
    4,731
    worst of all, now the company has to pay over-time, for all the extra hours he suckered them into doing.

  4. #244
    Legendary! Darththeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Posts
    6,068
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalam the Venom View Post
    I can't wait for the berrating this officer is going to get.

    Instead of ignoring the 2 deaths like the main boss said, He has now lead another 7? to their deaths.

    Great job.
    The worst part is that the Main Boss was 100% correct pretty much on what happened. It wasn't a targeted attack, it wasn't a robbery, it was just two guards picking a fight with the wrong person. You do nothing by chasing that down, but waste resources. And the worst part about it, is that they had zero proof Andor was the one who killed them. It was weak circumstantial at best.

    I do like how we have to two stereotypical Imperial views. One is "We cannot show weakness, do whatever cover story is the least amount of work." vs "We must show our strength and that these acts will not be allowed to happen."
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

  5. #245
    The Unstoppable Force PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ██████
    Posts
    24,846
    Pre-Mor doesn't really get villianous until the end, and then half of its it because Andor and Lu--whatever his name is have zero regard for the people around them.

    As the viewer the only reason why you see them as the big guys until the end because there's a named protagonist and their uniforms kind of look like Imperial uniforms...take his name off the show and forget about and give them different outfits, and you have a story about a sociopath on the run.


    Of course they lost all charity during their botched sting, but even at the beginning of it they tried to do it without harming anyone else in the town. Imperials would have shot up the entire town and not even seen their target.

    Of course the guy standing in for his boss/the overzealous boy scout, is probably going to start to adopt Imperial tendencies as the show progresses, completely losing his original more noble intentions.

    Resident Cosplay Progressive

  6. #246
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Of course they lost all charity during their botched sting, but even at the beginning of it they tried to do it without harming anyone else in the town. Imperials would have shot up the entire town and not even seen their target.

    Of course the guy standing in for his boss/the overzealous boy scout, is probably going to start to adopt Imperial tendencies as the show progresses, completely losing his original more noble intentions.
    I read it as a sort of allegory for why the Empire is bad. The megalomania of the Sith at the top aside, the Empire's main shtick is its self-congratulatory arrogance. They think they are the best version of what the Galaxy can be, and everyone else is just an inferior rabble that should either step aside and be subservient, or be ground into the dust where they belong. They're racist totalitarians, but they're not Sith. And by and large, they DO bring order to the Galaxy without the psychopathic insanity of the stereotypical Sith. They're what you could call the embodiment of the banality of evil: self-important bureaucrats more interested in everything working just so than they are in respecting people or their ways of life.

    That's why Mr. Babyface Officer Dude is so obsessed with the Andor case. Not because he's some major-league criminal threatening the Empire, but because he's a cog that stuck out and scratched the perfect paint. And that needs correcting AT ALL COST, even far beyond the reasonableness someone with actual perspective could employ. Mr. Babyface Officer Dude is incapable of that precisely because he's nothing but a cog himself - some mid-level functionary who is dismissed by his superiors as too stupid to see the big picture, and served by his underlings because that's the hierarchy. They don't like him, he can't relate to them, but that's the way things work. And he's stuck riding out the mess he created.

    Very well done, so far.

  7. #247
    Watched the 3 existing episodes so far.
    Definitely not bad. Definitely heads above the Pamphlet of Biba Fett.
    My fiancee even suggested we re-watch Rogue One after we've finished with the show.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    I read it as a sort of allegory for why the Empire is bad.
    I cannot see for the life of me.
    Why IS Empire bad?
    What makes Empire worse than Republic?

  8. #248
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortress of Arrogance View Post
    I cannot see for the life of me.
    Why IS Empire bad?
    What makes Empire worse than Republic?
    There's considerable overlap, especially during the late Republic. Bureaucrats and profiteers.

    We'll undoubtedly see more detail as the show goes on, but in principle the Empire is a state of totalitarian racists obsessed with bringing THEIR order to the Galaxy - not for some grand purpose or personal gratification like the Sith, but just because it's their own narcissistic circle jerk to see everyone in their place, i.e. beneath them. The Empire's ideology is entirely self-congratulatory: they're the best, the optimal, the only way to PROPERLY run things. Everyone else needs to fall in line or be cut down to size. They're ultimately trapped in a small-minded functionary mindset - not surprising considering that's what the Sith have always instilled in them. The Sith are the big thinkers, the Great Lords of the Universe - the Empire at-large just exists to ensure everything runs smoothly. And they've elevated that to a way of life.

    They're every vindictive DMV clerk, every mid-level government bureaucrat, every shift manager you've ever met, turned into a state machinery. Full of themselves to the brim and coated in a thick layer of racial superiority complex, but ultimately they're just the guys who fetch coffee for the real boss (the Sith) and then turn around and terrorize the rest of the office when the boss isn't looking.

    It's a very particular kind of evil. Not the maniacal megalomania of the Sith, and not the ruthless sadism of the Hutt and other criminals - just snide, well-dressed maliciousness masquerading as entitled manifest destiny.

  9. #249
    Scarab Lord Ihavewaffles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    The spice must flow!
    Posts
    4,731
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    but in principle the Empire is a state of totalitarian racists
    They are human supremacists, which is direct opposite of racism. It's about human dominance over aliens, not division amongst humankind.

  10. #250
    The Lightbringer Hansworst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Schiedam, the Netherlands
    Posts
    3,346
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    They are human supremacists, which is direct opposite of racism. It's about human dominance over aliens, not division amongst humankind.
    That's literal racism, except that it's not about color of skin but actual race.

  11. #251
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    They are human supremacists, which is direct opposite of racism. It's about human dominance over aliens, not division amongst humankind.
    Today in Bizarro World, this post:

  12. #252
    Scarab Lord Ihavewaffles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    The spice must flow!
    Posts
    4,731
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    That's literal racism, except that it's not about color of skin but actual race.
    Not seeing color of skin of humans is racism?

    I think ur using the wrong word n were looking for Speciesism, which considers non-humans inferior.

    Gamoreans, Wookies, are different species
    Black, White people are different races, of one species.

    Human species originated on Coruscant along eith another different intelligent species, these fought n humans won n the loosers fled.
    Galaxy far far away humies have been too concerned with aliens to have the issues earth-humies have.

  13. #253
    Legendary! Darththeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Posts
    6,068
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Not seeing color of skin of humans is racism?

    I think ur using the wrong word n were looking for Speciesism, which considers non-humans inferior.

    Gamoreans, Wookies, are different species
    Black, White people are different races, of one species.

    Human species originated on Coruscant along eith another different intelligent species, these fought n humans won n the loosers fled.
    Galaxy far far away humies have been too concerned with aliens to have the issues earth-humies have.
    Some much wrong with this post, I am having trouble to picking where to start.

    First, neither in Legends nor current Canon are humans confirmed to Originate on Coruscant, it is merely a "belief."

    Second, black and white are not actually races of a species. Race in humans is a societal distinction, saying it is a of a species is just wrong because it implies the difference is biological, when it isn't.

    Thirdly, you are taking it literally. Saying it is racism isn't wrong, because that is exactly what it is meant to represent.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

  14. #254
    The Lightbringer Hansworst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Schiedam, the Netherlands
    Posts
    3,346
    Sigh, I know I shouldn't engage because that first post was the most stupid take I've seen on here for a while but those examples you gave are indeed different species, also called different races of humanoids. All supremacists are racists, not all racists are supremacists.

  15. #255
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Second, black and white are not actually races of a species. Race in humans is a societal distinction, saying it is a of a species is just wrong because it implies the difference is biological, when it isn't.
    The what, now?
    The bolded part, I mean.
    Do you say that racial differences have nothing to do with biology?

  16. #256
    Legendary! Darththeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Posts
    6,068
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortress of Arrogance View Post
    The what, now?
    The bolded part, I mean.
    Do you say that racial differences have nothing to do with biology?
    Biologically, there is one human race. The differences that exist are not significant enough to qualify as a race.

    Races as you see them are not defined by biology anyway.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

  17. #257
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortress of Arrogance View Post
    Do you say that racial differences have nothing to do with biology?
    There is nothing fundamentally different about members of the same species who have differing hair, skin, eye, etc color. Those traits are obviously biologically derived, but the significance ascribed to those differences is entirely cultural...not scientific.

  18. #258
    Scarab Lord Ihavewaffles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    The spice must flow!
    Posts
    4,731
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    Sigh, I know I shouldn't engage because that first post was the most stupid take I've seen on here for a while but those examples you gave are indeed different species, also called different races of humanoids. All supremacists are racists, not all racists are supremacists.
    Nonsense, so if ur the kid that tortures the neighborhoods cats, are u a racist?

    Are cows n chickens races?

    I think its an american thing? To over-use the word race, also in the context of star wars it would most likeky make someone reading it think its about how humans relate to each other, when sw humans acting out of supremacist beliefs its agsinst other species instead. So its misleading. Also it sounds weird af

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    There is nothing fundamentally different about members of the same species who have differing hair, skin, eye, etc color. Those traits are obviously biologically derived, but the significance ascribed to those differences is entirely cultural...not scientific.
    Dude, a species of birds that gets seperated, one that is locked away by say a mountain gets say red color instead of yellow, its now a different species. There can be other tiny variations, but yes they get different latin names for a reason, n its not about bird "culture"..

    I think this is getting off-topic..

  19. #259
    The Lightbringer Hansworst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Schiedam, the Netherlands
    Posts
    3,346
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Nonsense, so if ur the kid that tortures the neighborhoods cats, are u a racist?

    Are cows n chickens races?

    I think its an american thing? To over-use the word race, also in the context of star wars it would most likeky make someone reading it think its about how humans relate to each other, when sw humans acting out of supremacist beliefs its agsinst other species instead. So its misleading. Also it sounds weird af
    First of all, I'm not American.
    To all your other questions: cats, cows and chickens aren't humanoid.

  20. #260
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Biologically, there is one human race. The differences that exist are not significant enough to qualify as a race.

    Races as you see them are not defined by biology anyway.
    Species, then. Different species of human race. I think it goes without saying that a member of negroid "species" is quite different to a member of "mongoloid" species.
    Tarantuls and Black Widows are both spider species, but they are quite different, aren't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    There is nothing fundamentally different about members of the same species who have differing hair, skin, eye, etc color. Those traits are obviously biologically derived, but the significance ascribed to those differences is entirely cultural...not scientific.
    I'd say the sum of differences between certain ethnicities/groups might well amount to a significant differences.
    A man from the Syberian wastes and a man from Zimbabwe are both from the human race, there is no doubting that, but their biological differences surely make a clear distinction between both, not even factoring social differences in.
    Last edited by Fortress of Arrogance; 2022-09-27 at 04:20 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •