Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    Yeah, Andor is great.

What's amazing for me too, is how they ended season 1 in a way that neatly sets up a second season but if that somehow never gets done it wouldn't matter since you can watch Rogue One right after this and it would work too.

And that end credit scene... holy fuck how satisfying was that. It makes the prisons hit harder and also explains why they grab people from the streets for the smallest offence and hand out 6y sentences like candy. Season 1 going out with a punch like a truck.
    Season 2 is confirmed and will also be the end - it's a confirmed 24 episode series. Count me in on thinking it's the best Star Wars series to date. Tony Gilroy is a genius and considering Rogue One is probably a top 3 (maybe 4) Star Wars movie of all time, it's not entirely surprising.

It's nice to not have a break from the constant stories taking place in the desert about jedi with lone wolf and cub plots. It's a drama that my wife, who doesn't do sci-fi, actually enjoyed a lot because of the Tony Gilroy genius and the phenomenal acting chops.
    ~steppin large and laughin easy~

5+ Year Old Account
    Well, that is one great title, sad, but true
    (btw words below video are the drinker's, not mine)

- - - Updated - - -

Andor - The Best Show At The Worst Time

The Critical Drinker
    Nov 30, 2022

Andor is without doubt the best Star Wars show that Disney have managed to produce. Yeah, that's not exactly a high benchmark, but its something. So it's kind of a shame nobody's bothered to watch it, probably because we've had to endure such absolute garbage to get here.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I'm going to be 90% honest, 10% memeing. I don't think Syrils mom is real. He gives me serial vibes, and she is a part of a disorder. Gilroy is the only SW content creator I think would go that route. But yeah her dialogue is that of someone talking to a persona in their head, even her mannerisms, the clothes she wears, and where she chooses to sit. I'm going to assume she only exists in his head (well she is his mom who was alive at some point but died) until someone else acknowledges her existence.

Uncle Harlow is an addendum to his psychosis. Uncle Harlow, who was likely a real person in his life, is now someone who just lives in his head. He really just lives alone in the apartment, and the voices fill the silence. His apartment scenes just scream tropes used to depict psychotic characters in other movies.

edit:

I decided to Google, "Is Syrils mom real" after this post and apparently I'm not the only one

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a...edy-star-wars/

Oh, that makes his character so much more interesting than he is now. (Which so far to me is a failure of character writing because I'm not getting his inclusion in this story, at all - not his point, his purpose, or any idea he's bringing anything at all to the story.)

It would also give a much greater point to even including his mother at all, beyond an annoying-nag-voice mail or couple conversations (with or about her) that would have conveyed the same ideas about her and their relationship.

I do agree - either way - "Uncle Harlow" was a "real life" family member of theirs who was seen as the 'family success' (at least per his mother) in the Empire and could 'put in a good word' to save Syril's career path. I'm not expecting Uncle Harlow to be anything or anyone else. But, at the same time, the show could certainly making something more of this mentioned family-character next season, we've no way to predict that .
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

The ending of this show really stood with me. What a magnificent piece of writing.

Truly remarkable work. Had The Bear not came out this year, Andor would be the best written show I had seen in 2022.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2022-12-01 at 12:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The ending of this show really stood with me. What a magnificent piece of writing.

Truly remarkable work. Had The Bear not came out this year, Andor would be the best written show I had seen in 2022.
    They've spent the entire season kicking Syril Karn, over and over, and the character never really seemed to deserve it. I'm hoping that finale represents the moment his stars changed.

We all knew where Cassian Andor was gonna go. It's Syril Karn and Dedra Meero that, to me, stand out, even more than Skarsgard's Luthen Rael. Andy Serkis' character (Kino Loy) was great too but I'm chalking that up almost entirely to Serkis himself; he's just a pleasure to watch no matter what he's doing and the character didn't have a lot of meat to work with (which makes Serkis' work humanizing him even more impressive).

Both Syril and Dedra are Imperials and seem to be true believers, but they're still both sympathetic characters, which is an interesting path to explore IMO.

Another thing, that speech by Luthen. While very for the stage, it was written with such care to language and symbolism. Delivered with perfection.

"I am condemned to use the tools of my enemy. I burn my decency for someone else's future. I burn my life for a sunrise I know I will never see."

The way he built up to that and emphasis on condemned, decency and life. Truly, chef's kiss.

- - - Updated - - -

What was it Luthen said? "I yearn to be a savior to injustice without contemplating the cost."

In the followup context of the true believers in this show and the parallel deaths of the kid and scumbag from the heist.

Or Kino's revelation at the end of the platform. Savior to injustice.

Even the Imperials operate with a kind of faith. A faith in systems, protocol, tasks. Without considering the cost.

Hot damn that is some wonderful writing.

This is the best Star Wars stuff I have ever seen. I am not a fan of this franchise either.

there are so many setups with just.. perfect payoffs in this show and that finale was just... Chef's kiss. as far as Cyril - he is basically a mirror of Andor in some way, but in the opposite direction... where they both get radicalized by their circumstance, but Cyril is radicalized into empire, while Andor is radicalized into rebellion.

and I fucking LOVE Dedra Meero so much. She is not a good person. but oh my god is she a fascinating character and she is acted to absolute perfection, IMO. Last time I was that invested into a bad guy to the point of cheering for them, despite disagreeing with their actions was Del Seyah Kendry in killjoys.

P.S. I think Cyril's mother IS very much real and not a figment of his imagination, in part because the way that she is and how she treats him, explains why he is the way he is so much.

and speaking of Lucien's speech.... and his reaction to Marva's speech was just... I think he has gotten so deep in he has hard time remembering why he started and Marva's speech reminded him. THIS is what he has been fighting for.
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2022-12-01 at 02:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    P.S. I think Cyril's mother IS very much real and not a figment of his imagination, in part because the way that she is and how she treats him, explains why he is the way he is so much.
    Other people have asked about her, so yeah, I can't agree with that theory. It's also so incredibly tropetastic in a bad way that it would deeply cheapen the writing. She's an entirely realistic character anyway, so there's really no good reason to leap to "she's a hallucination".

It's also usually used to describe someone who feels controlled by that now-deceased parent. That's not Syril. He was free and doing well in his security job, before it fell apart on him. And then he's doing well once his family connections get him into another job. He's not incompetent or something. He had one bad situation for which he was the scapegoat, and everything else we've seen from him has just been quiet efficient competence. I've even seen people describe him as a "stalker", apparently because of that one time he sought out Dedra Meero because he felt a connection and also wanted to get a job with Imperial intelligence. And she said "fuck off", and he fucked off. They only run into each other again on Ferrix because they're both after Cassian, but Syril's focused on Cassian, not Dedra. Rescuing her from the riot was entirely a "right place, right time" coincidence, not what he was there to do.

I feel like people wanted to write off Syril just because he's an antagonist. He's a security agent took a political fall in a bad situation as a scapegoat, but who's got a clear sense of justice he's trying to pursue off the books. In most stories, he'd be the good-guy cop who's willing to bend-not-break the rules to get his man. Who's literally a cold-blooded murderer, let's recall. That's a big part of what the show's doing; making it clear that you can't have a Rebellion and keep every rebel's conscience clean. Rebellion requires criminal action, including killing agents of the State who're just doing their jobs. That doesn't make it the wrong choice, but it's not "clean" either.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Other people have asked about her, so yeah, I can't agree with that theory. It's also so incredibly tropetastic in a bad way that it would deeply cheapen the writing. She's an entirely realistic character anyway, so there's really no good reason to leap to "she's a hallucination".

It's also usually used to describe someone who feels controlled by that now-deceased parent. That's not Syril. He was free and doing well in his security job, before it fell apart on him. And then he's doing well once his family connections get him into another job. He's not incompetent or something. He had one bad situation for which he was the scapegoat, and everything else we've seen from him has just been quiet efficient competence. I've even seen people describe him as a "stalker", apparently because of that one time he sought out Dedra Meero because he felt a connection and also wanted to get a job with Imperial intelligence. And she said "fuck off", and he fucked off. They only run into each other again on Ferrix because they're both after Cassian, but Syril's focused on Cassian, not Dedra. Rescuing her from the riot was entirely a "right place, right time" coincidence, not what he was there to do.

I feel like people wanted to write off Syril just because he's an antagonist. He's a security agent took a political fall in a bad situation as a scapegoat, but who's got a clear sense of justice he's trying to pursue off the books. In most stories, he'd be the good-guy cop who's willing to bend-not-break the rules to get his man. Who's literally a cold-blooded murderer, let's recall. That's a big part of what the show's doing; making it clear that you can't have a Rebellion and keep every rebel's conscience clean. Rebellion requires criminal action, including killing agents of the State who're just doing their jobs. That doesn't make it the wrong choice, but it's not "clean" either.
    I don't entirely agree. Cyril does have stalkerish obsessive tendencies as demonstrated by him refusing to let go of his chase of Andor despite no longer having any authority to do so, while simultaneously being very willing to dismiss the known wrongdoings of the rent-a-cops that Andor shot. which we know was only partly cold blooded (in case of a second guy, first guy was self defense). They are just not so creepy as to keep chasing someone who he doesn't consider a criminal and instead admires.

and while he is not directly controlled by his mother, a lot of his choices are influenced by a mixture of a little boy who may have still tried to please her and a man who is now defying her in every little way that he can. his obsessiveness and over-acheaver tendencies are very much due to her constant criticism. Even when he does well and she finally acknowledges it, her response is not to praise Cyril directly, its to say that his uncle will be pleased. Cyril is a fascinating character because I agree, he IS competent, but what he also is - is inflexible to the point of having blindspots a mile wide. and THAT is what keeps getting him in trouble. he doesn't see the bigger picture.

on the other hand Dedra very much sees the bigger picture, its the small ground based consequences that she doesn't quite calculate. team-up of those 2? ooooof, should be FUN to watch.

but yes, I think the show is making clearly that clean conscience is pretty much impossible. and that the world is more complex then "this is a bad guy and this is a good guy" I love it that it humanizes its villains and shows just how flawed its heroes are, but still makes it pretty clear why villains are actualy villains. they are just not mwahaha kind. even with Dedra's choice of torture and fear tactics... its not because she enjoys hurting people, its because for her - end result of stability and prevention of further imperial losses justify a few broken civilians.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    To clarify- as I posted finding this theory 'interesting'.

The way I interpret that (interpret the 'psychosis' theory) isn't that his mother never existed, or that his "real life" mother wasn't exactly like that. But more the idea that it WAS his real life mother, she WAS really like that, but she's dead now and he just sees/hears her as if she's not. More of the "mother hallucination" ala Norman Bates from 'Psycho', and not "this hallucination is a made up mother that was never real." More - "he's hallucinating his real mother, who is now deceased."

So yeah, how she treats/speaks with him is still a way to understand why his character is the way he is. Because she is/was a real person - even if she ends up being "no longer alive in the present."

And I'll also say is that I really, highly, doubt that's what they are doing. I do agree with you, she's probably 100% "real" in the current timeline and not a hallucination of his dead mother.

I just find the 'theory/'twist' an interesting take and, for me anyway, gives his character more interest and depth, then what I've seen so far. (Which currently leaves me not invested in him, at all.)
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    They've spent the entire season kicking Syril Karn, over and over, and the character never really seemed to deserve it. I'm hoping that finale represents the moment his stars changed.
    I did think the Karn character was great overall from a story POV. He did drop off for a bit which made his reentry in the final acts convenient in a way through no direct action of his own.

I thought Karn would prove through some means of his new job a link to get him back in the game. He just gets a phone call, essentially. But I was willing to forget that plot contrivance in a show stuffed to the gills with plot.

However, I wouldn't say Karn was being "kicked around" as a character. He seemed to deserve his failures and the more that was revealed of him the more disgusted I became with him as a person (the character being portrayed I mean). He was not an admirable or sympathetic fellow. The arrogance, incompetence, weakness, and faith were traits I would find to be of particular distaste.

That was a good contrast in some regard to those that were earning their victories, so to speak. Karn gave the impression he thought he deserved to win because of how he viewed himself.

We all knew where Cassian Andor was gonna go.
    Yeah, but that ending really solidifies the notion of weaponizing the people in this rebellion. Andor died 5 years before Rogue One.

It's Syril Karn and Dedra Meero that, to me, stand out, even more than Skarsgard's Luthen Rael.
    I would disagree with this too. I found all 3 pretty interesting. But again, we only got a few key moments with each. Dedra I thought was handled the least well of the 3 because she doesn't have much action outside of her job- she is defined in the show wholly as an IBS officer.

Karn and Luthen at least got other people to play off of and develop a more complex persona outside of their roles. Karn's mom was a good piece of writing to show how small a man he is in reality and what makes him a bully/tyrant/fascist. Luthen's conversations with Mon and the shop girl also show him against the thing he is involved in and it reminded me a bit of Inherent Vice. That was pretty good stuff with the time they were given.

Andy Serkis' character (Kino Loy) was great too but I'm chalking that up almost entirely to Serkis himself; he's just a pleasure to watch no matter what he's doing and the character didn't have a lot of meat to work with (which makes Serkis' work humanizing him even more impressive).
    Also suffered from Dedra's problem- he was only shown in the context of his role for the most part. Serkis was terrific at mining emotion and sympathy in the time given though. When he finally answers Andor about the number of guards and the realization at the PA system that he is a rebel- he can't go back, literally. *chef's kiss*

Both Syril and Dedra are Imperials and seem to be true believers, but they're still both sympathetic characters, which is an interesting path to explore IMO.
    I wouldn't use sympathetic, so much as being potentially well-faceted characters.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2022-12-01 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    You haven't addressed that directly just go "LOL, BUT MORTIS IS CANON!"
    What he doesn't understand is that most of the artifacts in there are just a result of the Art department being creative and inserting throwbacks to the Star Wars universe. Otherwise, Tony Gilroy has said himself that he didn't even know about most of the easter eggs in the shop until after people were pointing it out online. They're literally just easter eggs, and not a result of the writers intentionally seeding connections.

Rhorle is just too caught up in trying to prove you wrong to admit it's just a passing reference, that's all that's happening here.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    What he doesn't understand is that most of the artifacts in there are just a result of the Art department being creative and inserting throwbacks to the Star Wars universe. Otherwise, Tony Gilroy has said himself that he didn't even know about most of the easter eggs in the shop until after people were pointing it out online. They're literally just easter eggs, and not a result of the writers intentionally seeding connections.

Rhorle is just too caught up in trying to prove you wrong to admit it's just a passing reference, that's all that's happening here.
    That's why I dropped it at this point. It isn't worth it for me when he totally went off track from what was the reason I brought up Mortis in the first place. Mortis was a cool arc, it doesn't change that the way it was handled was to limit its impact on the movie canon. I was merely using Mortis as evidence that Filoni had more walls than merely no killing/maiming characters.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

15+ Year Old Account
    That's why I dropped it at this point. It isn't worth it for me when he totally went off track from what was the reason I brought up Mortis in the first place. Mortis was a cool arc, it doesn't change that the way it was handled was to limit its impact on the movie canon. I was merely using Mortis as evidence that Filoni had more walls than merely no killing/maiming characters.
    Again, do you have proof the memory wipe occurred to "protect canon"? It has already been established that knowledge of the future doesn't need to be wiped in order to "protect canon" for Yoda. Why are other characters different? It wasn't a wall for character development that Mr. Filoni had to use. It was something he chose to use. There is a distinct difference you refuse to acknowledge.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Again, do you have proof the memory wipe occurred to "protect canon"? It has already been established that knowledge of the future doesn't need to be wiped in order to "protect canon" for Yoda. Why are other characters different? It wasn't a wall for character development that Mr. Filoni had to use. It was something he chose to use. There is a distinct difference you refuse to acknowledge.
    TBF, Filoni does use lazy plot devices just so he can put stuff on the screen...like the time time travel was used to save Ahsoka from the badass showdown between her and Vader. Vader couldn't lose that fight, but he didn't want Ahsoka to die so TIME TRAVEL. I haven't been following the conservation so I might be completely off base.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    "Do you have proof of this strawman of your claim that I built because rather than admit I totally misunderstood your point I am going to argue a minute detail that doesn't even alter the main argument to pretend I won?"

Again, Yoda, a character who doubts the visions of the force in Canon both pre and post that arch sees the future in a vision. It is already in line because Yoda is a completely different character to Obi-wan and Anakin. If Obi-wan knew Anakin was going to fall to the dark side, you don't think that would have altered his actions in the movie? Or Anakin knowing he becomes a Sith, alter his behavior?

Honestly, you are choosing to ignore this pretty key difference in Character here. And are ignoring that a memory wipe isn't the only way to preserve canon, which was my original point of when the Clone Wars did cool things with the characters, they did so in a way to not shake up the canon. You aren't arguing against me, you are arguing against your strawman of me.

And the hilarious part, even if I say, you know what? You are right. It does nothing to the original argument. Why are you continuing to waste time on your invalid argument and response to my point?
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2022-12-02 at 02:46 AM.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    To clarify- as I posted finding this theory 'interesting'.

The way I interpret that (interpret the 'psychosis' theory) isn't that his mother never existed, or that his "real life" mother wasn't exactly like that. But more the idea that it WAS his real life mother, she WAS really like that, but she's dead now and he just sees/hears her as if she's not. More of the "mother hallucination" ala Norman Bates from 'Psycho', and not "this hallucination is a made up mother that was never real." More - "he's hallucinating his real mother, who is now deceased."

So yeah, how she treats/speaks with him is still a way to understand why his character is the way he is. Because she is/was a real person - even if she ends up being "no longer alive in the present."

And I'll also say is that I really, highly, doubt that's what they are doing. I do agree with you, she's probably 100% "real" in the current timeline and not a hallucination of his dead mother.

I just find the 'theory/'twist' an interesting take and, for me anyway, gives his character more interest and depth, then what I've seen so far. (Which currently leaves me not invested in him, at all.)
    I want to clarify some of since I brought up the idea too. She is a real person, as is 'Uncle Harlow'. Im not sure he (Syril) is talking to a physical person when he is shown talking to her.

He comes of a man with OCD(? I'm not trying to diagnosis) and some other cormobilities you can trace back to when he first brought Andor's case to his superiors. Details such as him altering his uniform are small character traits and he audience are meant to pick up on.

He was told to drop the case on pretty solid grounds but his obsession led to his little sting operation that go several of his coworkers and townsfolk hurt, even killed. Still he couldn't drop the case, as if he needed to prove his worth ambition. Dialogue about his doings and frustrations were always aimed at his mother, an eccentric character who always seemed to know what buttons to press to keep him on his insane journey. The scenes were always set up in such a way that they could have easily been a person having a back and forth with a therapist, or even an inner dialogue being presented out in the open. His obsession with Andor while everyone was telling him to get over it/out the way compounded with his general personality, and the way the apartment scenes are presented, leads me to believe what we see is him talking to a mental image of his mother. Honestly it doesn't add or take much from his character either way but I find some of his very interesting because Gilory and the writers made framed in a very deliberate manner. Those scenes with his mom are distinct from any other back and forth between characters in the show. She is either a uniquely one note character in the show or the person we see Syril speaking to represents how he would expect her to react to him.

I also think he will shift some of the dependence he has on his mother, or the idea of her, onto Dedra, which will lead to tragedy. We already saw a little bit of that. The 2nd time he thought he serving justice ended up even worse than the first time, yet it doesn't seem like he has learned.

His entire arc is the slow downfall of a man who had a normal life but personally unfulfilled life to a Imperial fascist. What drives him is wanting to prove himself to his mother, well his idea of her.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    He comes of a man with OCD(? I'm not trying to diagnosis) and some other cormobilities you can trace back to when he first brought Andor's case to his superiors. Details such as him altering his uniform are small character traits and he audience are meant to pick up on.
    I agree with this. Though, not sure if OCD is correct.
    –The Sith Code

I don't think he has OCD. I do think he is a perfectionist and overachiever (the tailoring of the uniforms, his need to finish what he started and to work by the book, his admiration for the crisp and meticulous Dedra and his disgust with those who cut corners - those are traits we are absolutely meant to notice, but I think those are just character traits but not a full blown OCD - I mean I could be wrong a lot of OCD is internal and it could be brought on by trauma, but he just doesn't read as OCD to me, personaly).

and I don't think he is imagining talking to his mother, pretty sure she is very much there in person. its not a terrible theory in the same way as Jar Jar Binks being sith would have been awesome, I just don't think its anything BUT fan theory anymore then Lucien being a jedi is.
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2022-12-02 at 02:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with this. Though, not sure if OCD is correct.
    Some people express OCD by not being able to drop issue, which is why I said that. It's not just ritualistic ticks. He cant let what Andor did go no matter what others around him say or the consequences in pursuit of this wrong he feels he MUST correct. A compulsive obsession to see Andor brought to justice by any means.

There's better ways to describe his personality traits though.