Question Deep dungeons seem too good to be true for leveling...?

So, again, disclaimer: I'm back into the game for the first time in six years, so digesting all the amazing features of this game in 2019 is a work in progress. I'm currently leveling as a RDM and focusing that via MSQ (and only MSQ and job quests thanks to the road to 70), but I absolutely want to level a lot of jobs down the line. One of the features I can't wait to try is the deep dungeons, because if I'm understanding this right... it seems a one stop shop for rapid leveling of additional combat jobs once the world is "opened up" with one completely leveled job.

-It's the third of only three places the armory bonus applies
    -It supplies feature-specific gear throughout, letting one level jobs without constantly buying/crafting gear
    -It's role agnostic, so queues are likely near-nonexistent (like island expeditions in WoW I'd imagine)
    -It's said to supply generous amounts of XP, and its progress within the feature can be reset.

I guess the only question I have left (and the point of this thread) is whether resetting and re-clearing allows one to continuously get the crazy XP this feature is said to give regardless of actual class level outside the dungeon.

Am I understanding this right? Is it really as good as it's seeming on paper?

Thanks in advance for any and all helpful replies!

It is real and true. Palace of the Dead is designed for Jobs in level range of 1-60, Heaven-on-High for level range 61-70 (Armory bonus does not work for characters at 70 or higher in HoH).

Yes it's very good for exp and farmable. Might get a little boring though after a while, but it's not too bad.

If you want to rapidly level alt-jobs, PotD or HoH is acutally not that good.

If you can - use your squadron. With +80% damage, they'll kill mobs fast and you can afk-pull everything (even most bosses)
    If you are playing a tank/healer - use dungeons

If you can't use either, use PotD

Its good for dps, if mind numbingly boring after enough time but doesn't really give you a good feel for tanking or healing through.

I found PotD good for leveling up base jobs up to 30, but after that I switched over to simply spamming the regular leveling dungeon roulette. PotD becomes mind numbing really quickly.

I leveled most of my alt jobs through the Deep Dungeon, that weren't already at cap by the time the deep dungeon was released late in the patch cycle.

It's boring as hell, after a while but it's effective.

I've never done squadrons so I'll need to check that out, but my jobs/classes are all 71+ at this point. Are squadrons still effective at that level range?

Deep dungeon is good to spam for dps, for tanks/healers I prefer normal dungeons since the queues are shorter. Plus, one drawback in DD is if you wipe you lose everything from that run. Doesn't happen often but when it does, especially if it's on later floors, it can be annoying. Plus the occasional arguements I guess for HOH on whether to save megecite for the boss or use it wipe out floors, going for chests or speedrunning etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I've never done squadrons so I'll need to check that out, but my jobs/classes are all 71+ at this point. Are squadrons still effective at that level range?
    No. They are good at 10+ (or whatever the lowest lvl is for the first/second dungeon) to somewhere around 52.
    But you want the +%dmg perk for your squadron on every member (tank+dd+heal) so it's faster...
    Then you are good to go for the fastest and most secure version of afk-leveling.

I remember leveling a lvl~15 class to 51 in a day by ... basically not playing... I think I played Dragalia Lost or King's Raid the whole day and had FFXIV running in the background. You get more than one level for each dungeon. I think I even got 2 sometimes with all the bonus items.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2019-12-23 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    If you want to rapidly level alt-jobs, PotD or HoH is acutally not that good.

If you can - use your squadron. With +80% damage, they'll kill mobs fast and you can afk-pull everything (even most bosses)
    If you are playing a tank/healer - use dungeons

If you can't use either, use PotD
    How do you get +80% damage in squad dungeons?

Also OP, if you want the fastest way to level,

1. Daily leveling, 50 60 70, alliance raid, main story quest roulettes, while doing fates/ beast tribes waiting for queue. The beast tribe will both level you and rep you up so if you're interested in those at all, do that.

2. (Optional) If you want some pvp rewards from the pvp vendors, doing daily frontline roulette is some exp but not a lot for the time investment, but the wolf marks will add up over time to allow you to get most things you could ever want.

Once those are done...

3. Deep dungeon or squadron dungeon or queue dungeon spam dungeons right at your level. You can pick which you want to do the most. They're all ABOUT the same. Speed running potd is probably the fastest but only by a tiny amount and is mind numbingly boring. If you want to eventually reach floors 200/100 of potd/hoh then you should at least level some of your classes through them and get your aetherpool to 99/99. Past that, it's up to you if you want to continue or do normal dungeons.

Note that for deep dungeons, you don't need to ensure your gear stays up to date, only that your aetherpool is sufficient to handle the floors you are going on, but you can spam the early floors for the same exp. You can go from 15 to 70 purely from potd and HoH and skip gearing up your class entirely until you need to buy level 70 gear, and I imagine we'll be getting a new deep dungeon sometime in 5.3, or maybe even 5.2, for ShB so that will knock out the need for any intermediate gear entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Different Strokes View Post
    How do you get +80% damage in squad dungeons?
    ....or whatever the maximum amount of +%dmg there is for your squadron members.
    You get it by doing dungeon runs with your squadron, you can pick a "stance" for them (defensive, balanced, offensive etc.) and that stance can level up 4 or 5 times up to +80% or +60% DPS/Health/Defense or something depending on what stance you pick.

I didn't really measure it, but it felt like they did more damage than myself on ST.
    And a Warrior Squadron Member will even use AoE from time to time, since they are using pre Stormblood skills and talents.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2019-12-24 at 03:09 PM.

- It's also horribly boring
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    Did PotD on my first character for a bunch of jobs, mostly to get them to 30. It's one of the most boring thing's I've ever done then I realized I play video games to have fun. If I wanted to be horribly bored grinding to level cap and then only focus on end game I may as well just stay in WoW, it is a better raid-or-die game.

I've found that squadron is just as fast, if not faster, than PotD, more entertaining, and you actually get some rewards on the side to make up for the GC seal cost. The lower your level and the higher your squads the better since they probably have a high damage buff by then. Though I think Squadrons just go to 60, not sure and I keep finding conflicting information about it.

If you are a tank and/or heal you are better off just doing normal dungeons. For exp and for your sanity.
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

"If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn

Yeah, dungeons are really best for leveling now, since the exp payout beats out anything overall, i don't think we need one, besides i'm not sure they even did all that well, we'll just have to see if they keep to their routine or have a new idea.