Poll: Have you been a victim to porch piracy?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    i have my packages sent to my job where i'm at 40 hours out of the week during daytime hours. i keep telling my wife she should have packages sent to her work, but she doesn't.

only a matter of time for her...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by XangXu View Post
    I think porch piracy is a testament to our crumbling society, especially at Christmas time. Christmas has always been a time where people who have money, celebrate by participating in rampant capitalism, while those who are poor usually suffer, or end up just blowing their heads off.

But in this day and age, they steal instead. Probably because they are poor and sad and nobody really fucking cares about them. It’s easy to rage at these people, but don’t worry. Suicide is highest this time of year, and porch pirates are prime candidates.

Maybe something should be done but... fuck me.
    shoplifting has always been outrageously high during the holidays. this is just an evolved form. i'm surprised at the guts some of these people have.

another thing i think would help deter porch piracy would be to have a note on your door that tells them wtf is in the package.

"hey porch pirate, do you actually want this sack of brewing malt that weighs 50lbs and is worth about 30 dollars? you gonna brew some beer, porch pirate? you aren't? then please leave my ingredients alone."
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

I had just moved into a condo I bought a couple years ago or so and had ordered a bunch of stuff to build my kitchen/living room, etc. Most of it arrived just fine, but a package containing a printer, utensils, pots and pans, and other miscellaneous stuff disappeared off my porch. Amazon guy even took a picture of it, but it just wasn't there. $200 worth.

Amazon refunded the money, which was awesome. The worst part about it wasn't the loss, it was that I now have to pay $15 a month for a local pickup spot to have my packages delivered, and I have to stop there on my way home from work.

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    No, but two of my neighbors live close enough to have a pretty clear view of my porch/driveway, and they're older, retired (ie, home during the day) people who also like to spend a lot of time outdoors. It'd be pretty difficult to grab something off my porch without getting spotted by my neighbors.

I'm kind of a night owl and have had a couple of the neighbors (who, again, are older people, so they tend to be in bed by like 10:00 if not earlier) tell me they feel a little bit safer knowing that I'm still up well after they've gone to sleep, so I can give them that in return, I guess.

I consider myself lucky there because some of my friends have the worst kinds of assholes for neighbors.
    Last edited by avitush; 2019-12-23 at 05:05 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XangXu View Post
    Probably because they are poor and sad and nobody really fucking cares about them.
    Poverty doesn't cause theft though, typically the reason is because their parents never taught them that thievery is never justified.

I live out in the country, so it doesn't happen. Things get delivered behind the house, and if no one's home they typically drop it in the spare large coal bin with an open lock.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by omeomorfismo View Post
    what is the difference between not and not yet?
    You're missing out, something to look forward to!

10+ Year Old Account
    Here in the UK I don't think we have these situations. If you are not at home we have post offices that we come and collect them from. Or they are left with the neighbour with a letter saying what neighbour has your parcel.

I would hate to have my parcel left in front of my house with the world to see... I mean wow... thats awful :S

7+ Year Old Account
    1st world middle class suburban problems. If you went to a physical brick and mortar like the boomers of yestermonth you can verify that you'd get your purchase. Also it's even faster than Prime delivery.

I always try for Amazon's "Locker" thing.
    My particular porch isn't in the best spots...and my "neighbors" such as they are, sometimes get curious. They haven't walked off with anything yet.

Nope.

1) Our kitchen window looks out over the courtyard which we (unlike all other apartments) don't share with any neighbours.
    2) We still have the "I guard this Home" sign with a Rottweiler's face (a handsome one to boot!) above the mailbox that you have to pass in order to get to our door...

I have no doubt there is porch piracy going on, but between our kitchen window and the sign and the secluded design of our porch (there's a bench behind the door not visible from the street) we're less at risk.

Besides, if I purchase with home delivery without signing, it's because the company won't offer any other kind of delivery. If the package gets stolen, they're liable, not me. Otherwise I'll always choose delivery where you gotta sign, or picking up the parcel at a service point.

I just lurvs the Youtube videos of people placing decoy packages that fling stuff at the pirates.

5+ Year Old Account
    Luckily no, but I did have a fiasco of the actual mailmen stealing people's packages for a short bit. That was a while ago and taken care of, but what a mess lol
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

No, mostly because DHL has to hand you the packet here, put it in a packet station, give it to a neighbor or take it back with them. Only stuff that fits in your mail slot is an exception to this.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

At first, I thought this said, "Are you a victim of patriarchy?"

15+ Year Old Account
    Ive always lived in a good neighborhood, so no, at least not yet.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Not porch, but I have an eBay business and often put outing items into my mailbox. I put 3 items in there and went on my way into the antique store I am part of, I then got an email a few days later from a buyer who said they never got their package. I checked and it seems the 3 packages I put in the mailbox that day were stolen. Their tracking was never updated and all 3 buyers never got their item. I don't put packages in my mailbox anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by smityx View Post
    1st world middle class suburban problems. If you went to a physical brick and mortar like the boomers of yestermonth you can verify that you'd get your purchase. Also it's even faster than Prime delivery.
    Not always, stores don't carry everything and often times products are out of stock. Today I did go into Target because I had some gift cards and looked for a toaster oven, the one I wanted was out of stock. Earlier before Christmas I was looking for silver cord for some ornaments I made, I made a special trip out to 2 stores so that I would have it faster, spend over 30 minuets plus drive time searching for it and neither store had it. I ended up coming home and ordering it on Amazon and having it 2 days later.