Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ...
5
6
7
8
9
... LastLast
  1. #121
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Sometimes when I re-watch Avatar, I can't help but picture Night Elves in Nagrand. So it's not even particularly a creative world.
    It is a slight variation on pocahontas that some guys in the mainstream media absolutely fell in love with back then. Imho mostly because simple minds are easily dazzled by pretty pictures, especially if they come in the form of a 2.7h audio-visual bombardment. Shadowferal spammed the previous page with tonns of quotes about it, which is something that indeed caused alot of hype back then, but is also entirely irrelevant in reality, since the same can be found with any other remotely popular scifi/fantasy franchise. If we dredged out every star wars or twilight fan that would rather live in a galaxy far far away or smooch with sparkly vampires, I'm sure we find that these franchises also changed lives as documented in the teen angst diary entries of the same caliber.
    /tar Tinker-zealot /point /lol
    WoW:Shadowlands - Danuser's Divina Commedia?

  2. #122
    Quote Originally Posted by IIBloodXLustII View Post
    (If my sarcasm wasn't obvious enough: All art is subjective. Saying that a person is "undemanding" because they like a movie a lot is inherently incorrect.)
    Wrong. Very common misconception brought about thanks to post-modernists that art is subjective.

    There is a reason modern art galleries are dead while classic art galleries are so overflowing with people, there are worries that camera flashes will damage the art overtime.

    There is a reason everyone already agrees on what the best visuals, are in video games every single year.

    There is a reason everyone already knows what a beautiful movie is and can identify it instantly.

    There is a reason everyone can look at a piece of art and instantly recognise talent, whilst looking at a piece of modern 'art', say, a banana stuck to a wall, evokes zero emotion.

    There is a reason when listening to a classical symphony or an orchestra all in sync playing along that you feel something, whilst a Nicki Minaj song is boring, uninteresting and unchallenging to you.

    Art is not subjective. Your brain at a glance can tell the difference. Thats how built into you this shit is. Art is about talent and meaning. If you look at something devoid of either, convincing yourself that it is in fact art is going to be about as pointless as trying to convince yourself that someone with a crippling disfigurement is beautiful.

    There are other ways you can describe these things, but it is not 'art.' Please use a different word, because this is not the correct one and it is literally propaganda created by marxist post-modernists that hate the reality that even art is dominated by talented interesting people, which runs contradictory to their ideal, which is that everyone and everything is equal, or should be, from inception until the end of time.

    A banana stuck to a wall isn't art. Its money laundering at worst and at best its a mockery of post-modernism. Laying on the floor screaming for an hour in a museum isn't art. Its a desperate cry for attention, brought upon by the persons psyche breaking down thanks to being an adult and no longer being fawned over at home by their middle-upper class parents.

    And yes, you can be an undemanding audience. An audience of children for instance care very little about meaning initially and opt more for action and special effects. As the audience grows older (to a point), they then opt more for story which is inherently more demanding. Dialogue of any depth is a thousandfold more demanding than watching a car go boom. Unless you want to argue against that reality, too?

    And your last two paragraphs. Come on dude. Endgame was not a fantastic movie. It was a visually packed movie with a lot of fan service. Heres how you know your movie sucks. If at the very start, your premise of your movie relies on none of the half dozen geniuses in the room saying the words "perhaps we should get some more fuel so we can more than once, rather than just pretend its a one time only thing?" then you know your movie doesn't care about the story.

    They wrote themselves into a corner. A bunch of super heroes vs something that no longer exists. The only solution is time travel and immediately they've fucked up. If your only solution is time travel, thats a red flag. If people start acting like their time travel machine only has one use, thats another red flag. If you remove this second arbitrary barrier, you remove ALL tension from the movie. ALL of it.

    Those are two of the weak pillars this entire movie rests upon, the next is the idea that Thanos without any stones, is more powerful than the entire cast of the Avengers combined and attacking him at the same time. This is simply not true as established by the first movie. Thor dumpstered him by himself. Several times he was almost beaten, but just barely escaped thanks to the power of the stones. On top of that, as the movie progresses, you even see him start winning more and more easily thanks to newfound powers.

    Second point, as said before, most of the movie was fan service. Like Iron Man meeting his Dad. 100% fan service devoid of any story. Cap meeting Peggy. 100% fan service. Cap wielding Mjolnir and so on.

    Endgame will be remembered for its fight scenes and if the special effects don't hold up in 20 years time, the movie will be forgotten at best and at worst it will be remembered alongside well, Avatar. What is Avatar remembered as? Not anything with great story. Not anything with great action. It was essentially viewed, as you say, as a movie that displayed very high end graphics for the time. Now it looks alright and the cracks are more visible than ever and as a result, the movie is just boring. No one cares about it. No one says "quick, Avatar is on TV, come watch." They just don't care. What movie do they still do that for? Lord of the Rings is one. Terminator is another. Harry Potter is another.

    What do these movies all have in common? A good story, practical effects that will survive for another 100 years and a world they are embedded in which is believable as it gets.

    Speaking of a practical world that people can believe in. Endgame ends with 3.5 billion people reappearing on Earth after 5 years. Don't you think that would cause massive crippling damage to the planet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    Islam is a race. End of discussion.
    Nazi btw

  3. #123
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    The difference being that Avatar had a movie over 10 years ago, whilst Avengers Endgame was built up with tons of movies featuring the characters.

    It might top Endgame in box office, sure, but will it top Endgame as the climax to a decade's worth of build-up? Fuck.No.
    Needing other movies as a crutch isn't something to brag about, each movie should be judged by its own merit n not of others...
    ..n timetraveling to the other movies n needing a rat to step on a button...that's writers giving up, not being creative...
    ..people will defend to the death bad writing, only cuz of Marvel logo, it's excused..as if people see any criticism as an attack on their identity, people on this thread are like religious zealots, it's sooooo weird to me......

    I was never a fan of Titanic, but didn't care how much it made...I never felt the urge to go io the cinema extra times, more than I had originally intended, afterwards for other movies to beat titanic box office....
    It's such a disconnect feeding rich corporations n imagining ur on the same team as them...

    Can someone explain what's the deal with that?

    I hope avatar beats endgame just so people can stop thinking box office is a contest that involves them. It doesn't, u only succeed in making bunch of rich people richer.

  4. #124
    Merely a Setback Queen of Hamsters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The one and only, Evolving Azeroth!
    Posts
    25,268
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Needing other movies as a crutch isn't something to brag about, each movie should be judged by its own merit n not of others...
    ..n timetraveling to the other movies n needing a rat to step on a button...that's writers giving up, not being creative...
    ..people will defend to the death bad writing, only cuz of Marvel logo, it's excused..as if people see any criticism as an attack on their identity, people on this thread are like religious zealots, it's sooooo weird to me......

    I was never a fan of Titanic, but didn't care how much it made...I never felt the urge to go io the cinema extra times, more than I had originally intended, afterwards for other movies to beat titanic box office....
    It's such a disconnect feeding rich corporations n imagining ur on the same team as them...

    Can someone explain what's the deal with that?

    I hope avatar beats endgame just so people can stop thinking box office is a contest that involves them. It doesn't, u only succeed in making bunch of rich people richer.
    Lol, "crutch".

    If it's a Universe with multiple movies and characters building it up, it'd be pretty fucking retarded to NOT have all those movies tie the Universe together and build for the climax. Each movie is however judged on its own merit, as you'll see from critics and viewers alike. Ooopsie!

    People similarly will believe themselves to be factual beings when it comes to what constitutes good/bad writing (rather than admitting to it being subjective based on what they enjoy and not), just to try and feel superior to people feeling differently about X medium. You are very much doing just that, which means I won't and can't entertain you beyond this point.

    For someone seemingly not giving a toss, you sure wrote a lot on the topic which you don't care about, and ended it with you wishing for certain events to come to pass in your "lack of caring". Thanks for the laughs though, I genuinely couldn't hold back. Especially since I REALLY don't base my enjoyment of movies on how they performed at the box office.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2019-12-25 at 01:19 AM.
    Hamsters are illegal in Hawaii!
    The Classic experience: Clear a raid in 40 minutes, then spend the remainder of your free time trolling Reddit/MMO-C with "ReTaIL Is DeAD!"-posts.

  5. #125
    Transformers hit $1 billion with no plot and explosions all over the place. I say Cameron can do it but he needs to remove all dialogue and plot and just have massive explosions every 5 minutes. Fans will say it was a fun popcorn flick and see it 5 times. You could have giant robot avatars that fight each other. They are so big they throw planets at each other. Get tossed into black holes. Punch holes in reality. Just go for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I want the ruins of K'aresh for 9.0 as I envision it as Netherstorm on steroids. A broken, shattered world. Eco-domes are stuck on various chunks to protect flora & fauna. I imagine a K'aresh ocean & maybe some islands contained in an eco dome or a snow-capped peak with some jungle valleys in another. Flesh version of Ethereals that never got altered. Space platforms as in Starcraft. Just a totally fantastic tileset & theme that I'd be very keen to explore. They could do some wild things.

  6. #126
    So he's an insecure fuck who hates that a better movie beat Avatar so he's rereleasing the movie AGAIN just to try and top it? That proves NOTHING. All that proves is that you cheated by keeping the movie in theaters as long as possible. When it came out. it was in theaters for 238 fucking days. Endgame beat Avatar in 90 days. Fuck I hate James Cameron.

  7. #127
    Avatar is one of those pet peeves movies of mine.

    It's popularity was primarily based on the fact that it was somewhat of a leapfrog forward in CGI and 3D. The story was fucking horrible, with plotholes and magic MacGuffins that made the whole Pocahontas In Space barely watchable for anyone with a shred of logic and critical thinking.

    This to me sounds like Cameron trying reclaim his fallen kingdom after the fiasco of Terminatorark Fate.

    -Guyz! I can still make money! Remember that movie I made in 2009?
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    It doesnt destroy the land to bury styrofoam 25 feet below the ground
    Today Obama once again kneeled at the altar of environmental naziism and hurt this once great country. He has now banned all drilling in the Atlantic Ocean

  8. #128
    Brewmaster Highelf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    #Garithoswasright
    Posts
    1,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    I will never understand why people think Avatar is even an above average movie, let alone one worthy of being highest grossing movie of all time.

    Shit is trash.
    Yet, it is. It's like your understanding doesn't matter.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    So he's an insecure fuck who hates that a better movie beat Avatar so he's rereleasing the movie AGAIN just to try and top it? That proves NOTHING. All that proves is that you cheated by keeping the movie in theaters as long as possible. When it came out. it was in theaters for 238 fucking days. Endgame beat Avatar in 90 days. Fuck I hate James Cameron.
    To be fair it was in the theaters much longer because it was getting watched over and over again much like Titanic did. Nowadays, most movies just have that one or 2 huge weekend then drop % by a HUGE margin.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Lol, "crutch".

    If it's a Universe with multiple movies and characters building it up, it'd be pretty fucking retarded to NOT have all those movies tie the Universe together and build for the climax. Each movie is however judged on its own merit, as you'll see from critics and viewers alike. Ooopsie!

    People similarly will believe themselves to be factual beings when it comes to what constitutes good/bad writing (rather than admitting to it being subjective based on what they enjoy and not), just to try and feel superior to people feeling differently about X medium. You are very much doing just that, which means I won't and can't entertain you beyond this point.

    For someone seemingly not giving a toss, you sure wrote a lot on the topic which you don't care about, and ended it with you wishing for certain events to come to pass in your "lack of caring". Thanks for the laughs though, I genuinely couldn't hold back. Especially since I REALLY don't base my enjoyment of movies on how they performed at the box office.
    Endgame is, however judged based on the previous other movies. Simple fact of it being the climax of all of them instead of a stand alone.

    Don't worry waffles, when hamster doesn't like something you say, she ALWAYS puts in her response that she's done "entertaining you". Even though she type a whole paragraph immediately after that statement.
    “I've noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.”
    ― Ronald Regan
    "TeH SjW AgEnDa, dAmN WoMyN/GaYS/MiNOrItIeS DaRiNG tO HaVe A PrEsEnCE iN society by constantly whining and thinking their "plight" is higher or deserves more attention than anything else and forcibly writing in such characters non organically to the story. It's been 5 seconds, where's my empowerment!!!?

  9. #129
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Avatar literally moved moviemaking forward. There's a before Avatar, and after Avatar, in terms of CGI.
    There is?

    I just remember the 3D being prettier. The actual CGI, on its own, was nothing special at the time, and certainly not now.

    You know, that fad in movies that still hasn't caught on as a mainstay; hence why you hardly hear anyone making 3D-purposed films rather than just elevating them up for morons willing to throw money at them because of the fad. Hell, there aren't even new 3D televisions being made by any notable company due to how little the public actually cares about it.

    So yeah, whooptido, he made a fancy looking gimmick movie with a rehashed story that was boring as fuck in and of itself.

    But hey, if all you need to soak your panties is something pretty to look at but otherwise vapid as fuck, well, good on you. Just be sure to sing its praises only for what it's actually accomplished, not for taking the glory from everyone else involved in the CGI scene.

  10. #130
    Quote Originally Posted by Highelf View Post
    Yet, it is. It's like your understanding doesn't matter.

    - - - Updated - - -



    To be fair it was in the theaters much longer because it was getting watched over and over again much like Titanic did. Nowadays, most movies just have that one or 2 huge weekend then drop % by a HUGE margin.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Endgame is, however judged based on the previous other movies. Simple fact of it being the climax of all of them instead of a stand alone.

    Don't worry waffles, when hamster doesn't like something you say, she ALWAYS puts in her response that she's done "entertaining you". Even though she type a whole paragraph immediately after that statement.
    Avatar remained in theaters despite a drop off because James Cameron WANTED it to stay in theaters. He had his big swinging 3d dick hanging in theaters and he did everything he could to keep it there as long as he could. The movie was pretty, sure, but the story was utter horse shit.

  11. #131
    Brewmaster Highelf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    #Garithoswasright
    Posts
    1,305
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    Avatar remained in theaters despite a drop off because James Cameron WANTED it to stay in theaters. He had his big swinging 3d dick hanging in theaters and he did everything he could to keep it there as long as he could. The movie was pretty, sure, but the story was utter horse shit.
    I'll admit it was kept in longer than it should have, BUT it lasted a while longer than most because people were seeing it again and again, similar to Titanic.
    “I've noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.”
    ― Ronald Regan
    "TeH SjW AgEnDa, dAmN WoMyN/GaYS/MiNOrItIeS DaRiNG tO HaVe A PrEsEnCE iN society by constantly whining and thinking their "plight" is higher or deserves more attention than anything else and forcibly writing in such characters non organically to the story. It's been 5 seconds, where's my empowerment!!!?

  12. #132
    Quote Originally Posted by Highelf View Post
    I'll admit it was kept in longer than it should have, BUT it lasted a while longer than most because people were seeing it again and again, similar to Titanic.
    Maybe it was just my area but I worked in a movie theater when the movie came out. After the 4th or 5th month, there was entire days where nobody was going to see Avatar but it was still on like 2-3 screens. I didn't understand it at all.

  13. #133
    Brewmaster Highelf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    #Garithoswasright
    Posts
    1,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Funkenstein View Post
    There is?

    I just remember the 3D being prettier. The actual CGI, on its own, was nothing special at the time, and certainly not now.

    You know, that fad in movies that still hasn't caught on as a mainstay; hence why you hardly hear anyone making 3D-purposed films rather than just elevating them up for morons willing to throw money at them because of the fad. Hell, there aren't even new 3D televisions being made by any notable company due to how little the public actually cares about it.

    So yeah, whooptido, he made a fancy looking gimmick movie with a rehashed story that was boring as fuck in and of itself.

    But hey, if all you need to soak your panties is something pretty to look at but otherwise vapid as fuck, well, good on you. Just be sure to sing its praises only for what it's actually accomplished, not for taking the glory from everyone else involved in the CGI scene.
    "he made a fancy looking gimmick movie with a rehashed story." You literally explained just about every big money movie, especially within the last decade. I'm not saying you're wrong, BUT lots and lots of people threw their money at it and those types of movies. The CGI was and is top shelf though. To not like the movie is fine, but to disregard the technical aspects of the movie is just being a hater. I can't stand Kobe Bryant, but he's one of the best players of all time.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    Maybe it was just my area but I worked in a movie theater when the movie came out. After the 4th or 5th month, there was entire days where nobody was going to see Avatar but it was still on like 2-3 screens. I didn't understand it at all.
    Yeah maybe it was. I live in a larger city and I remember wanting to see it one last time in IMAX before it left theaters and my friends and I were definitely not the only ones in there. Again, i'm agreeing it did stay TOO long, but up until a certain point it was very justified, which was longer than most other movies.
    “I've noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.”
    ― Ronald Regan
    "TeH SjW AgEnDa, dAmN WoMyN/GaYS/MiNOrItIeS DaRiNG tO HaVe A PrEsEnCE iN society by constantly whining and thinking their "plight" is higher or deserves more attention than anything else and forcibly writing in such characters non organically to the story. It's been 5 seconds, where's my empowerment!!!?

  14. #134
    Quote Originally Posted by Highelf View Post
    "he made a fancy looking gimmick movie with a rehashed story." You literally explained just about every big money movie, especially within the last decade. I'm not saying you're wrong, BUT lots and lots of people threw their money at it and those types of movies. The CGI was and is top shelf though. To not like the movie is fine, but to disregard the technical aspects of the movie is just being a hater. I can't stand Kobe Bryant, but he's one of the best players of all time.
    You should re-read what I wrote.

    I didn't say he didn't have a hand in advancing 3D. The guy I was replying to said there was a "time before Avatar for CGI and a time after," as if it were somehow responsible for a massive jump in CGI quality. Which is complete and utter bullshit. Especially for a format that is all but dead and was never actually used to the same extent again for numerous reasons.

  15. #135
    Brewmaster Highelf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    #Garithoswasright
    Posts
    1,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Funkenstein View Post
    You should re-read what I wrote.

    I didn't say he didn't have a hand in advancing 3D. The guy I was replying to said there was a "time before Avatar for CGI and a time after," as if it were somehow responsible for a massive jump in CGI quality. Which is complete and utter bullshit. Especially for a format that is all but dead and was never actually used to the same extent again for numerous reasons.
    Yeah 3D was only good if it was SHOT in 3D, and even then, most of the time it wasn't worth the up in price. However, there have been certain jumps in CGI, starting with Jurassic Park, and I would put Avatar among them for sure.
    “I've noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.”
    ― Ronald Regan
    "TeH SjW AgEnDa, dAmN WoMyN/GaYS/MiNOrItIeS DaRiNG tO HaVe A PrEsEnCE iN society by constantly whining and thinking their "plight" is higher or deserves more attention than anything else and forcibly writing in such characters non organically to the story. It's been 5 seconds, where's my empowerment!!!?

  16. #136
    Pretty sure Cameron isn't insecure.
    It seems to me he wants to cause a buzz and stir shit up for publicity.
    Acquittal doesn't mean exoneration


  17. #137
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Am I the only person who thinks that considering the build up regarding the MCU that Endgame should have been a lot more successful than it was?
    OH, of course. If WDC had managed to keep their intersectional religious fervor in their pants for another six months and kept a lid on Larson and Feige, Endgame could have potentially cleared 3 billion, especially with the encore release. But the woke AF interviews they kept allowing likely had a deleterious effect on repeat customers, which was just cutting off their nose to spite their face in light of how relatively insulated MCU was from the Last Jedi controversy before Captain Marvel entered its promotional phase.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

    And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

  18. #138
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumineus View Post
    OH, of course. If WDC had managed to keep their intersectional religious fervor in their pants for another six months and kept a lid on Larson and Feige, Endgame could have potentially cleared 3 billion, especially with the encore release. But the woke AF interviews they kept allowing likely had a deleterious effect on repeat customers, which was just cutting off their nose to spite their face in light of how relatively insulated MCU was from the Last Jedi controversy before Captain Marvel entered its promotional phase.
    An interesting perspective, but it's hard to predict anything with MCU because there's nothing like it. A franchise with so many films released in such a short amount of time? The fact that it was successful at all is incredible, let alone how successful it was. And the whole thing tells a semi-coherent story.

  19. #139
    I know Endgame started it in a desperate attempt to push themselves over Avatars, but it seems like allowing re-releases to count is just plain silly. Like all the movie goers are just pawns in these rich folk's dick measuring contests.

  20. #140
    LOL. Good luck trying to beat Gone With The Wind and the original Star Wars when it comes to tickets sold domestically. I don't ever see that happening, especially in the age of streaming.

    https://www.boxofficemojo.com/chart/...ref_=bo_cso_ac
    Any ADULT for 2020, no 3rd graders. You read that correctly, Trump is not included. #LegalizeCannabis #CannabisForVets
    “The main thing that I learned about conspiracy theory, is that conspiracy theorists believe in a conspiracy because that is more comforting. The truth of the world is that it is actually chaotic. The truth is that it is not The Iluminati, or The Jewish Banking Conspiracy, or the Gray Alien Theory.
    The truth is far more frightening - Nobody is in control. The world is rudderless.” ― Alan Moore

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •