Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    I will never understand why people think Avatar is even an above average movie, let alone one worthy of being highest grossing movie of all time.

Shit is trash.
    Yet, it is. It's like your understanding doesn't matter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    So he's an insecure fuck who hates that a better movie beat Avatar so he's rereleasing the movie AGAIN just to try and top it? That proves NOTHING. All that proves is that you cheated by keeping the movie in theaters as long as possible. When it came out. it was in theaters for 238 fucking days. Endgame beat Avatar in 90 days. Fuck I hate James Cameron.
    To be fair it was in the theaters much longer because it was getting watched over and over again much like Titanic did. Nowadays, most movies just have that one or 2 huge weekend then drop % by a HUGE margin.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Lol, "crutch".

If it's a Universe with multiple movies and characters building it up, it'd be pretty fucking retarded to NOT have all those movies tie the Universe together and build for the climax. Each movie is however judged on its own merit, as you'll see from critics and viewers alike. Ooopsie!

People similarly will believe themselves to be factual beings when it comes to what constitutes good/bad writing (rather than admitting to it being subjective based on what they enjoy and not), just to try and feel superior to people feeling differently about X medium. You are very much doing just that, which means I won't and can't entertain you beyond this point.

For someone seemingly not giving a toss, you sure wrote a lot on the topic which you don't care about, and ended it with you wishing for certain events to come to pass in your "lack of caring". Thanks for the laughs though, I genuinely couldn't hold back. Especially since I REALLY don't base my enjoyment of movies on how they performed at the box office.
    Endgame is, however judged based on the previous other movies. Simple fact of it being the climax of all of them instead of a stand alone.

Don't worry waffles, when hamster doesn't like something you say, she ALWAYS puts in her response that she's done "entertaining you". Even though she type a whole paragraph immediately after that statement.
    “I've noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.”
    ― Ronald Regan

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Avatar literally moved moviemaking forward. There's a before Avatar, and after Avatar, in terms of CGI.
    There is?

I just remember the 3D being prettier. The actual CGI, on its own, was nothing special at the time, and certainly not now.

You know, that fad in movies that still hasn't caught on as a mainstay; hence why you hardly hear anyone making 3D-purposed films rather than just elevating them up for morons willing to throw money at them because of the fad. Hell, there aren't even new 3D televisions being made by any notable company due to how little the public actually cares about it.

So yeah, whooptido, he made a fancy looking gimmick movie with a rehashed story that was boring as fuck in and of itself.

But hey, if all you need to soak your panties is something pretty to look at but otherwise vapid as fuck, well, good on you. Just be sure to sing its praises only for what it's actually accomplished, not for taking the glory from everyone else involved in the CGI scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Highelf View Post
    Yet, it is. It's like your understanding doesn't matter.

- - - Updated - - -

To be fair it was in the theaters much longer because it was getting watched over and over again much like Titanic did. Nowadays, most movies just have that one or 2 huge weekend then drop % by a HUGE margin.

- - - Updated - - -

Endgame is, however judged based on the previous other movies. Simple fact of it being the climax of all of them instead of a stand alone.

Don't worry waffles, when hamster doesn't like something you say, she ALWAYS puts in her response that she's done "entertaining you". Even though she type a whole paragraph immediately after that statement.
    Avatar remained in theaters despite a drop off because James Cameron WANTED it to stay in theaters. He had his big swinging 3d dick hanging in theaters and he did everything he could to keep it there as long as he could. The movie was pretty, sure, but the story was utter horse shit.

5+ Year Old Account
    Avatar remained in theaters despite a drop off because James Cameron WANTED it to stay in theaters. He had his big swinging 3d dick hanging in theaters and he did everything he could to keep it there as long as he could. The movie was pretty, sure, but the story was utter horse shit.
    I'll admit it was kept in longer than it should have, BUT it lasted a while longer than most because people were seeing it again and again, similar to Titanic.
    ― Ronald Regan

I'll admit it was kept in longer than it should have, BUT it lasted a while longer than most because people were seeing it again and again, similar to Titanic.
    Maybe it was just my area but I worked in a movie theater when the movie came out. After the 4th or 5th month, there was entire days where nobody was going to see Avatar but it was still on like 2-3 screens. I didn't understand it at all.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Funkenstein View Post
    There is?

I just remember the 3D being prettier. The actual CGI, on its own, was nothing special at the time, and certainly not now.

You know, that fad in movies that still hasn't caught on as a mainstay; hence why you hardly hear anyone making 3D-purposed films rather than just elevating them up for morons willing to throw money at them because of the fad. Hell, there aren't even new 3D televisions being made by any notable company due to how little the public actually cares about it.

So yeah, whooptido, he made a fancy looking gimmick movie with a rehashed story that was boring as fuck in and of itself.

But hey, if all you need to soak your panties is something pretty to look at but otherwise vapid as fuck, well, good on you. Just be sure to sing its praises only for what it's actually accomplished, not for taking the glory from everyone else involved in the CGI scene.
    "he made a fancy looking gimmick movie with a rehashed story." You literally explained just about every big money movie, especially within the last decade. I'm not saying you're wrong, BUT lots and lots of people threw their money at it and those types of movies. The CGI was and is top shelf though. To not like the movie is fine, but to disregard the technical aspects of the movie is just being a hater. I can't stand Kobe Bryant, but he's one of the best players of all time.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe it was just my area but I worked in a movie theater when the movie came out. After the 4th or 5th month, there was entire days where nobody was going to see Avatar but it was still on like 2-3 screens. I didn't understand it at all.
    Yeah maybe it was. I live in a larger city and I remember wanting to see it one last time in IMAX before it left theaters and my friends and I were definitely not the only ones in there. Again, i'm agreeing it did stay TOO long, but up until a certain point it was very justified, which was longer than most other movies.
    ― Ronald Regan

"he made a fancy looking gimmick movie with a rehashed story." You literally explained just about every big money movie, especially within the last decade. I'm not saying you're wrong, BUT lots and lots of people threw their money at it and those types of movies. The CGI was and is top shelf though. To not like the movie is fine, but to disregard the technical aspects of the movie is just being a hater. I can't stand Kobe Bryant, but he's one of the best players of all time.
    You should re-read what I wrote.

I didn't say he didn't have a hand in advancing 3D. The guy I was replying to said there was a "time before Avatar for CGI and a time after," as if it were somehow responsible for a massive jump in CGI quality. Which is complete and utter bullshit. Especially for a format that is all but dead and was never actually used to the same extent again for numerous reasons.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Funkenstein View Post
    You should re-read what I wrote.

I didn't say he didn't have a hand in advancing 3D. The guy I was replying to said there was a "time before Avatar for CGI and a time after," as if it were somehow responsible for a massive jump in CGI quality. Which is complete and utter bullshit. Especially for a format that is all but dead and was never actually used to the same extent again for numerous reasons.
    Yeah 3D was only good if it was SHOT in 3D, and even then, most of the time it wasn't worth the up in price. However, there have been certain jumps in CGI, starting with Jurassic Park, and I would put Avatar among them for sure.
    ― Ronald Regan

Pretty sure Cameron isn't insecure.
    It seems to me he wants to cause a buzz and stir shit up for publicity.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Am I the only person who thinks that considering the build up regarding the MCU that Endgame should have been a lot more successful than it was?
    OH, of course. If WDC had managed to keep their intersectional religious fervor in their pants for another six months and kept a lid on Larson and Feige, Endgame could have potentially cleared 3 billion, especially with the encore release. But the woke AF interviews they kept allowing likely had a deleterious effect on repeat customers, which was just cutting off their nose to spite their face in light of how relatively insulated MCU was from the Last Jedi controversy before Captain Marvel entered its promotional phase.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

Quote Originally Posted by Lumineus View Post
    OH, of course. If WDC had managed to keep their intersectional religious fervor in their pants for another six months and kept a lid on Larson and Feige, Endgame could have potentially cleared 3 billion, especially with the encore release. But the woke AF interviews they kept allowing likely had a deleterious effect on repeat customers, which was just cutting off their nose to spite their face in light of how relatively insulated MCU was from the Last Jedi controversy before Captain Marvel entered its promotional phase.
    An interesting perspective, but it's hard to predict anything with MCU because there's nothing like it. A franchise with so many films released in such a short amount of time? The fact that it was successful at all is incredible, let alone how successful it was. And the whole thing tells a semi-coherent story.

I know Endgame started it in a desperate attempt to push themselves over Avatars, but it seems like allowing re-releases to count is just plain silly. Like all the movie goers are just pawns in these rich folk's dick measuring contests.

LOL. Good luck trying to beat Gone With The Wind and the original Star Wars when it comes to tickets sold domestically. I don't ever see that happening, especially in the age of streaming.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/chart/...ref_=bo_cso_ac

Quote Originally Posted by Laerrus View Post
    LOL. Good luck trying to beat Gone With The Wind and the original Star Wars when it comes to tickets sold domestically. I don't ever see that happening, especially in the age of streaming.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/chart/...ref_=bo_cso_ac
    There are so many other factors in things like this that just taking estimated ticket quantities or "adjusted" ticket sales numbers doesn't really work.

When Gone With The Wind released how many other competing movies were there that may have taken away a portion of their ticket sales? How much expendable income did people have in comparison to current times (adjusting the same way we do for the monetary value of ticket sales)? How much do you add to other movies to account for sales that didn't happen because the internet is now a thing and piracy is rampant on it? How many people just waited and bought DVD's or watched it at a friend's house or a streaming service because they knew there was no rush to see it?

Just spouting the same "but but Gone With The Wind is #1" over and over without considering any of the changes in availability, price compared to income, or the entire fucking internet is stupid. That's why these dick waving competitions between Avatar and the MCU exist without bothering to mention the other movies that have technically had more sales but probably less overall viewers; because the times are different and just throwing numbers out there without a single mention of all the other factors that exist is kind of stupid.

That being said, Avatar was a highly forgettable movie. Endgame "won" because it wrapped up over a decade of films all connected together and for any saying "oh but the re-release is why" keep in mind that Avatar has also been re-released once already and now they're talking a second one which will most likely only succeed because of the technological advances that can only be seen in theaters with 3D and IMAX. Neither of the movies are amazing in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    I will never understand why people think Avatar is even an above average movie, let alone one worthy of being highest grossing movie of all time.

Shit is trash.
    Because when it came out it was a massive leap forward in graphics to an unbelievable degree it was also one of the first mainstream films to make use of IMAX.

We'll see. Avatar did win previously, but that doesn't mean it will win again. I don't know if the sequels could possibly top the original movie, given it's unique concept and story. But I do think the sequels will be successful none the less, and I'm curious to see it all play out.

I'm not going to hate on Cameron because he's "pretentious", but at the same time I'm not going to blindly agree with him just because he thinks he's the best. I don't know whether or not the sequel movies will top it, but I'll be honest... I doubt it.

Sure James, when it finally comes out we will have colonies on Pandora IRL.

Avatar 2 has become a Half Life 3 level meme at this point.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    The only reason we never got Titanic 2 is because not even the greediest and stupidest man on the planet can pitch that.
    Unfortunately there are shitty (real shitty not omg disney/universal/whatever main studio we're told to hate today) companies that not only made titanic cartoons (where everyone lives) but one also made a damn sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Unfortunately there are shitty (real shitty not omg disney/universal/whatever main studio we're told to hate today) companies that not only made titanic cartoons (where everyone lives) but one also made a damn sequel.
    Yes, I've heard of the sequel. Thankfully no one was greedy and stupid enough to try to bank on a sequel for Cameron's Titanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Yes, I've heard of the sequel. Thankfully no one was greedy and stupid enough to try to bank on a sequel for Cameron's Titanic.
    What exactly would the sequel be? The survivors living in America?