Thread: Warcraft Series

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Warcraft have not exactly been known for its good lore or writing except for perhaps the arthas storyline but I could see them doing something like a animated show.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2020-02-18 at 12:05 PM.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Warcraft have not exactly been known for its good lore or writing except for perhaps the arthas storyline but I could see them doing something like a animated show.
    The overall designs and worldbuilding are cool. The characters are only an excuse for that.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

Elemental Lord HighlordJohnstone's Avatar
    I live at a location, somewhere, ya know? :D
    If they did make a cinematic/anime of Warcraft, it'd have to be insane. Warcraft is the most insane Blizzard franchise in terms of threats and all that shit. Coming from the Scourge, to the Titans, to the Constellars, to the Old Gods, to the Alliance/Horde War, etc. The first war alone being a film was a mistake.

Its very disappointing that Blizzards biggest franchise isn't the one being considered for a series. Warcrafts universe is far more flushed out than those of Overwatch and Diablo so who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Huh? Like Samuel L Jackson said in Iron Man, "I'm the realest person you're ever gonna meet." Depends on the topic if I "appear angry" I guess. I like to debate passionately but I don't take myself or this game serious, at all. I'm a huge advocate of playable high elves but I'm often in the megathread calling out the regulars there who crusade it like their lives depend on it. It's all fun and games until a thread reaches 739 pages of the same cyclical debate. And it's the SAME members still arguing it today 739 pages later as it was in page 1.
    Actually, that was in Iron Man 2, when Fury and Tony were chatting at the Doughnut "shop".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Its very disappointing that Blizzards biggest franchise isn't the one being considered for a series. Warcrafts universe is far more flushed out than those of Overwatch and Diablo so who knows...
    Exactly this. Imagine seeing a series focused on a select few adventurers who are basically the "canon" versions of the Players. That'd be cool.

- - - Updated - - -

Imagine seeing Sargeras in cinematic form. Or the fight against KJ at the ToS, or the LK fight. The possibilities.

The lore can only be as good as the person writing it, as well as the creative freedom they are allowed. Given to a good writer I think it could give us a refreshing take on Warcraft outside of the game.

Regardless what you think of WoW current lore in the World of Warcraft (no pun intended) it is still rich with culture and lore, its a playground waiting to be played with.

And Diablo has great lore and story writing? The plot is literally a portal to hell opened in the basement of a church and you need to kill a million monsters to get to it and then kill diablo. There is a reason so very few movies based on video games turn out to be interesting, and the rest are all boring

Warcraft doesn't have a coherrent enough story for a series, not without cutting 90% of the current lore.

If you throw it back to the Warcraft 1-3 era and keep it there it might have a chance, but it would very easily fall into generic and derivative fantasy. You'll also have the problem of establishing a proper beginning for it, and they've already failed at that.

The only alternative for a setting would probably be a multi-racial team of 'adventurers' doing their own thing within the Warcraft universe, something in the style of the Mandalorian.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    The lore can only be as good as the person writing it, as well as the creative freedom they are allowed. Given to a good writer I think it could give us a refreshing take on Warcraft outside of the game.
    I don't see Blizzard allowing anyone a long enough leash to do that.
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2020-02-18 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Actually, that was in Iron Man 2, when Fury and Tony were chatting at the Doughnut "shop".
    Touché! Great quote from a mediocre sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Touché! Great quote from a mediocre sequel.
    I actually kinda liked Iron Man 2, despite Ivan being dealt with way too fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post

I don't see Blizzard allowing anyone a long enough leash to do that.
    I disagree. Now I don't think they'll change too much of the status quo, there will be certain aspects to remain static, like not killing off key characters or going to bonkers with changing stuff. The stuff Blizzards writers write will be left alone, but what you can do away from that is up to the writer. sure thos ebig characters like Thrall can show up and make special appearances but the focus shouldn't be on them.

Warcraft still has a very polished world, regardless of the story within it. They can still do some amazing stuff with it. If I was given the World of Warcraft to create my own stories within it I immediately have many ideas.

How about a Warcraft series based on the Chronicle books?

Season 1: World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1

Season 2: World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 2

Season 3: World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 3

It could be based on the animation style of the Chronicle books (except for the third one, which was kinda shitty).

I think an animated series with a cast of new characters could be really fun. With a story tone like Clone Wars, ATLA/LoK, voltron could work.

one of my most enjoyable moments is watching that WoD animated videos about warchiefs! Even tho expansion itself was sh*t, that mini series was really good

Quote Originally Posted by F Rm View Post
    I would love for a well developed Warcraft-series to come out.

My main issue with the Warcraft-movie was that it tried to cover too much in too short of a timespan.

Having said that, I would prefer for it to be made entirely through CGI(in the same style as the Cinematics/Cinematic Trailers).
    Sadly though, I doubt that they will ever manage the time-requirements and the resources required for a fully CGI-rendered TV-series to be made.

But, one can dream!

As for the series itself, I would want it to focus on the main story-archs which we have gone through over the course of the game's(franchise's) history. Starting from the beginning.

Or, you could go with the starting point in the story being around where we went into WoW. And for anything that happened prior to this, to be shown as "flashbacks". As an example, when they introduce new characters they will also over time show their past, what they've been through.
    I put 100% of the blame on spawn of David Bowie for the failures of the Warcraft movie. He insisted he needed two movies, was told 1 to start. He crammed 2 movies into one. He should have made the first of 2 parts and left it on a cliffhanger. We might have gotten 2 to see the full potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    And Diablo has great lore and story writing? The plot is literally a portal to hell opened in the basement of a church and you need to kill a million monsters to get to it and then kill diablo. There is a reason so very few movies based on video games turn out to be interesting, and the rest are all boring
    The devil is in the details my friend. All stories can be summarized in 1 or 2 boring sentences. It doesn't mean there isn't more of it. Diablo has a very rich lore, a more serious tone (even with the sometimes cartoonish graphics of DIII) and more moral greyness than Warcraft ever hoped to have. Also, it is far less saturated. Every meaningful part of the lore has been shown in a book, comic book or video game already for warcraft lore, but the Dark Exile and the binding of the three was only mentioned so far. A TV series based on the Establishment of the Horadrim would top the adventures of Makrik and his wife.

A Warcraft series could work, but NOT retelling the games' lore

Make it an original story taking place in Azeroth
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    How about a Warcraft series based on the Chronicle books?

Season 1: World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1

Season 2: World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 2

Season 3: World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 3

It could be based on the animation style of the Chronicle books (except for the third one, which was kinda shitty).
    Well, it would not be interesting to average series viewer. It is like watching documentary but about fictional universe.

They should make a story about characters from Azeroth. Maybe some new, unimportant characters to make it fresh for experienced fans too.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.