Thread: Warcraft Series

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Its very disappointing that Blizzards biggest franchise isn't the one being considered for a series. Warcrafts universe is far more flushed out than those of Overwatch and Diablo so who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Huh? Like Samuel L Jackson said in Iron Man, "I'm the realest person you're ever gonna meet." Depends on the topic if I "appear angry" I guess. I like to debate passionately but I don't take myself or this game serious, at all. I'm a huge advocate of playable high elves but I'm often in the megathread calling out the regulars there who crusade it like their lives depend on it. It's all fun and games until a thread reaches 739 pages of the same cyclical debate. And it's the SAME members still arguing it today 739 pages later as it was in page 1.
    Actually, that was in Iron Man 2, when Fury and Tony were chatting at the Doughnut "shop".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Its very disappointing that Blizzards biggest franchise isn't the one being considered for a series. Warcrafts universe is far more flushed out than those of Overwatch and Diablo so who knows...
    Exactly this. Imagine seeing a series focused on a select few adventurers who are basically the "canon" versions of the Players. That'd be cool.

- - - Updated - - -

Imagine seeing Sargeras in cinematic form. Or the fight against KJ at the ToS, or the LK fight. The possibilities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Warcraft have not exactly been known for its good lore or writing except for perhaps the arthas storyline but I could see them doing something like a animated show.
    The lore can only be as good as the person writing it, as well as the creative freedom they are allowed. Given to a good writer I think it could give us a refreshing take on Warcraft outside of the game.

Regardless what you think of WoW current lore in the World of Warcraft (no pun intended) it is still rich with culture and lore, its a playground waiting to be played with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Warcraft have not exactly been known for its good lore or writing except for perhaps the arthas storyline but I could see them doing something like a animated show.
    And Diablo has great lore and story writing? The plot is literally a portal to hell opened in the basement of a church and you need to kill a million monsters to get to it and then kill diablo. There is a reason so very few movies based on video games turn out to be interesting, and the rest are all boring

Warcraft doesn't have a coherrent enough story for a series, not without cutting 90% of the current lore.

If you throw it back to the Warcraft 1-3 era and keep it there it might have a chance, but it would very easily fall into generic and derivative fantasy. You'll also have the problem of establishing a proper beginning for it, and they've already failed at that.

The only alternative for a setting would probably be a multi-racial team of 'adventurers' doing their own thing within the Warcraft universe, something in the style of the Mandalorian.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    The lore can only be as good as the person writing it, as well as the creative freedom they are allowed. Given to a good writer I think it could give us a refreshing take on Warcraft outside of the game.
    I don't see Blizzard allowing anyone a long enough leash to do that.
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2020-02-18 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Actually, that was in Iron Man 2, when Fury and Tony were chatting at the Doughnut "shop".
    Touché! Great quote from a mediocre sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Touché! Great quote from a mediocre sequel.
    I actually kinda liked Iron Man 2, despite Ivan being dealt with way too fast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post

I don't see Blizzard allowing anyone a long enough leash to do that.
    I disagree. Now I don't think they'll change too much of the status quo, there will be certain aspects to remain static, like not killing off key characters or going to bonkers with changing stuff. The stuff Blizzards writers write will be left alone, but what you can do away from that is up to the writer. sure thos ebig characters like Thrall can show up and make special appearances but the focus shouldn't be on them.

Warcraft still has a very polished world, regardless of the story within it. They can still do some amazing stuff with it. If I was given the World of Warcraft to create my own stories within it I immediately have many ideas.

How about a Warcraft series based on the Chronicle books?

Season 1: World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1

Season 2: World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 2

Season 3: World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 3

It could be based on the animation style of the Chronicle books (except for the third one, which was kinda shitty).

I think an animated series with a cast of new characters could be really fun. With a story tone like Clone Wars, ATLA/LoK, voltron could work.

one of my most enjoyable moments is watching that WoD animated videos about warchiefs! Even tho expansion itself was sh*t, that mini series was really good

Quote Originally Posted by F Rm View Post
    I would love for a well developed Warcraft-series to come out.

My main issue with the Warcraft-movie was that it tried to cover too much in too short of a timespan.

Having said that, I would prefer for it to be made entirely through CGI(in the same style as the Cinematics/Cinematic Trailers).
    Sadly though, I doubt that they will ever manage the time-requirements and the resources required for a fully CGI-rendered TV-series to be made.

But, one can dream!

As for the series itself, I would want it to focus on the main story-archs which we have gone through over the course of the game's(franchise's) history. Starting from the beginning.

Or, you could go with the starting point in the story being around where we went into WoW. And for anything that happened prior to this, to be shown as "flashbacks". As an example, when they introduce new characters they will also over time show their past, what they've been through.
    I put 100% of the blame on spawn of David Bowie for the failures of the Warcraft movie. He insisted he needed two movies, was told 1 to start. He crammed 2 movies into one. He should have made the first of 2 parts and left it on a cliffhanger. We might have gotten 2 to see the full potential.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    And Diablo has great lore and story writing? The plot is literally a portal to hell opened in the basement of a church and you need to kill a million monsters to get to it and then kill diablo. There is a reason so very few movies based on video games turn out to be interesting, and the rest are all boring
    The devil is in the details my friend. All stories can be summarized in 1 or 2 boring sentences. It doesn't mean there isn't more of it. Diablo has a very rich lore, a more serious tone (even with the sometimes cartoonish graphics of DIII) and more moral greyness than Warcraft ever hoped to have. Also, it is far less saturated. Every meaningful part of the lore has been shown in a book, comic book or video game already for warcraft lore, but the Dark Exile and the binding of the three was only mentioned so far. A TV series based on the Establishment of the Horadrim would top the adventures of Makrik and his wife.

7+ Year Old Account
    A Warcraft series could work, but NOT retelling the games' lore

Make it an original story taking place in Azeroth
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    How about a Warcraft series based on the Chronicle books?

Season 1: World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1

Season 2: World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 2

Season 3: World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 3

It could be based on the animation style of the Chronicle books (except for the third one, which was kinda shitty).
    Well, it would not be interesting to average series viewer. It is like watching documentary but about fictional universe.

They should make a story about characters from Azeroth. Maybe some new, unimportant characters to make it fresh for experienced fans too.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

In light of the success of fantasy-esque series like Game of Thrones and The Witcher, i believe blizzard should make one of their own. This time, blizzard should rely on their amazing cinematic and music departments instead of companies like Legendary, and directors like Duncan Jones. On one hand, i think it should be fully CGI, like their cinematics (as we've seen how real life actors and sets could ruin a fantasy movie like Warcraft), but on the other hand, constraints like budget could interfere with that kind of a vision. What i had in mind is that instead of telling the story in a chronological order, every season should have a number of episodes, which tells the stories of a certain race (much like lords of war). For example:

Orcs

First Episode: Kargath and the Shattered Hand clan.
    Second Episode: Grommash and the warsong clan.
    Third Episode: Durotan and the Frostwolf clan.
    Fourth Episode: kilrogg and the Bleeding Hollow clan.
    Fifth Episode: Gul'dan and the Shadow Council.
    Sixth Episode: Nerz'hul and the Shadowmoon clan.
    Seventh Episode: Blackhand and the Blackrock clan.
    Eighth Episode: The uniting of the clans, and the subsequent invasion of azeroth.

Humans

First Episode: Terenas Menethil and The kingdom of Lordaeron.
    Second Episode: Anduin Lothar and the kingdom of Stormwind.
    Third Episode: Antonidas and the magical city of Dalaran.
    Fourth Episode: Daelin Proudmoore and the nation of Kul Tiras.
    Fifth Episode: Thoras Trollbane and the nation of Stromgarde.
    Sixth Episode: Genn Greymane and the kingdom of Gilneas.
    Seventh Episode: Aiden Perenolde and the nation of Alterac.
    Eighth Episode: The formation of the Alliance of Lordaeron.

Trolls

First Episode: Jin'do, Hakkar, and the Gurubashi tribe.
    Second Episode: Zul'jin and the Amani tribe.
    Third Episode: The Drakkari and the Scourge.
    Fourth Episode: The Sandfury trolls and Zul'farrak.
    Fifth Episode: Rastakhan, Zul and the Zandalari tribe.
    Sixth Episode: The Zandalari trying to unite the different Troll tribes.

Dwarves

First Episode: Madoran Bronzebeard and the Bronzebeard clan.
    Second Episode: Khardros Wildhammer and the Wildhammer clan.
    Third Episode: Sorcerer-thane Thaurissan and the Dark Iron clan.
    Fourth Episode: The War of the Three Hammers.

Tauren

First Episode: Cairne Bloodhoof and the conflict with the Centaur.
    Second Episode: Huln Highmountain story during the War of the Ancients.
    Third Episode: Magatha Grimtotem and her evil schemes to overtake the bloodhoof tauren.
    Fourth Episode: The Yaungol invasions.
    Fifth Episode:The Icemist tribe of Taunka.

Night Elves

First Episode: Azshara and her reign.
    Second Episode: Xavius and his schemes.
    Third Episode: Malfurion and his tutleage under Cenarius.
    Fourth Episode: Tyrande and the Priesthood of Elune.
    Fifth Episode: Illidan and his mad pursuit for power.
    Sixth Episode: Maiev and the Wardens.
    Seventh Episode: The War of the Ancients and the Sundering.

Undead

First Episode: Arthas, his transformation into the Lich King and the formation of the Scourge.
    Second Episode: Sylvanas, her death by the hands of Arthas and the subsequent release from his grasp.
    Third Episode: Kelthuzad and the Cult of the Damned.
    Fourth Episode: Anu'barak and the kingdom of azjol-nerub.
    Firth Episode: Mal'ganis and the dreadlords' rule over the scourge.
    Sixth Episode: The Formation of the Forsaken, and the subsequent alliance with the Horde.

Gnomes

First Episode: High Tinker Gelbin Mekkatorque and the underground city of Gnomeregan.
    Second Episode: Sicco Thermaplugg and his attempts to overthrow Gelbin.
    Third Episode: The invasion of the troggs, the radiation and evacuation of Gnomeregan.

Blood Elves

First Episode: Anasterian Sunstrider, the Exile of the Highborne, and their arrival at Quel'thalas.
    Second Episode: The war against the Forest Trolls and the Orcs alongside the Humans.
    Third Episode: Kael'thas Sunstrider and the Magisters.
    Fourth Episode: Lor'themar and the Farstriders.
    Fifth Episode: The Windrunner Sisters - the relationship between Alleria, Vareesa and Sylvanas.
    Sixth Episode: The invasion of the scourge and the destruction of the Sunwell.
    Seventh Epidose: Lord Garithos, the journey to Outland and the alliance with the Horde.

Draenei

First Episode: Velen, his rule alongside Kil'jaeden and Archimonde and his foresight.
    Second Episode: kil'jaeden, his rule alongside Velen and Archimonde, and his lust for power.
    Third Episode: Archimonde, his Tutleage under Thal'kiel in the Wakeners, and the subsequent "dethroning" of Thal'kiel by him.
    Fourth Episode: The acception of the Fel Gift by the Eredar Lords and the evacuation of the Draenei from Argus.
    Fifth Episode: The landing on Draenor, the relationship with the other races of the planet, like Ogres and Orcs, and the building of their civilization.
    Sixth Episode: The siege on Shattrath City by the Blood-crazed Orcs.

Goblin

First Episode: The primitive Goblins and their discovery of Ka'jamite.
    Second Episode: The Bilgewater Cartel and the slavery of Trolls to harvest Kaja'mite.
    Third Episode: The Steamwheedle Cartel and their rivalry with the Bilgewater Cartel.
    Fourth Episode: The Venture Company and their operations.
    Fifth Episode: Kezan, the Undermine and the destruction of the Island by the Volcano.

Worgen

First Episode: The origins of the Worgen curse with the Pack Form and the War of the Satyrs.
    Second Episode: The creation of the Scythe of Elune and the banishment of the Worgen to the Emerald Dream.
    Third Episode: Arugal and the summoning of the Worgen.
    Fourth Episode: The Worgen curse spreading throughout Gilneas and the war with the Forsaken.

Pandaren

First Episode: The Mogu and their enslavement of the Pandaren and the other races.
    Second Episode: Kang, the first Monk, and the Pandaren Revolution.
    Third Episode: The Zandalari Troll Wars and the creation of the Order of the Cloud Serpent.
    Fourth Episode: Y'shaarj, The Mantid swarm invasions and the Threat of the Sha.

This could lead, eventually, to a full scale movie about the Faction War, with the different races that were shown on the show. and if not, then it could lead to a grand final season about the Faction War.

The idea is to broadcast the Alliance side on one channel (or streaming service), and the Horde side on a rival channel (or streaming service)

This is, of course, a rushed off sketch. what do you guys think? what would you like to see on a warcraft series? share your ideas and opinions.
    Ooo... I love this.. they really should do this for their product.

I mean they really should.. it will capture all the essence of the core players in Warcraft. Massive advert for the game, and a compelling piece that can drive the fantasy all the way.

They should do this though to accompany the launch of a new game. Whether it's a new MMO or a finally a continuation of the RTS or a single player game.

TBh, I read the best solution for Warcraft on these forums, the NElf fan dude who suggested that wow switches back to an open world explore place like it was in classic, and single player games now drive a narrative story forward that the MMO allows you to explore the locations, dungeons and interact with the new people, places in it.

So fr example the TBC story would have been a game itself, and Outland would have been an explorable zone - no need to follow the story of TBC through WoW, the single player game does that. Depending on what they do, sometimes it's a single player game, sometime it'n RTS.

1. This allows a much wider gap between catastrophic events
    2. allows the mmo to have a lot more time to explore things around the single player game, and take the story further. So for example TBC ends with the Sunwell plateau right..? Well you have one of two options, you make the single player game have ended with the Sunwell plateau victory while the MMO explores all those areas and extra details of the single player game, then also exploring after the unwell plateau before Wrath and the preliminary of wrath.. so it will explore what happens once they won in tempest keep and Serpentine shrine, what happened in those zones, what happened to the elves and naga and the demon hunters, what happened to the Naaru and Shattrath, and then can start foreshadowing the activity of the lich king.

Alternatively, the single player game can stop after the Black Temple, and then wow will add the Sunwell Plateau.

Also be ware that some playable races are sorta temporary in their position. Darkspears, Blood elves , Worgen and Forsaken. so would you follow just the Darkspears? or all the trolls? would you instead call the Thalassian story the High elves as that's the name that has the traction, even i f you show how they split into blood elves, and void elves emerged to rejoin the alliance high elves.

Seeing the kinda garbage netflix and amazon produce, not sure why a low-CGI GoT-esque Warcraft wasnt made yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Beloren View Post
    Ooo... I love this.. they really should do this for their product.

I mean they really should.. it will capture all the essence of the core players in Warcraft. Massive advert for the game, and a compelling piece that can drive the fantasy all the way.

They should do this though to accompany the launch of a new game. Whether it's a new MMO or a finally a continuation of the RTS or a single player game.
    Okay, but you're straying a bit from the topic.
    Notice how i emphasized the races' stories, like you desire.

Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    Seeing the kinda garbage netflix and amazon produce, not sure why a low-CGI GoT-esque Warcraft wasnt made yet.
    It could be an animated short style, instead of a CGI.

Okay, but you're straying a bit from the topic.
    Notice how i emphasized the races' stories, like you desire.

It could be an animated short style, instead of a CGI.
    Warcarft needs a series to convey the story.

I'm sorry, the game is just not adequate, and it ends up with too many holes, too much scope for error cause they can't convey the full weight of what's going on, nor can they realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Beloren View Post
    Warcarft needs a series to convey the story.

I'm sorry, the game is just not adequate, and it ends up with too many holes, too much scope for error cause they can't convey the full weight of what's going on, nor can they realistic.
    That's true.
    A lot of the story is missing from the game and is found in books.