Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    Right now people are leaving certain states because of high taxes. Particularly New Jersey and California as well as the tri-state area. Even a $15 minimum wage won't fix this. Everyone was predicting 2020 is when the economy crashes and it looks to be coming true. Just a matter of time before the stock market crashes as well. $15 is too little too late.
    I mean I'm not going anywhere due to taxes, only place I'd go is Canada if anything.

Culture is far more important to me than taxes.

Like the post responding to you points out, the people moving probably aren't high income college educated earners. Taxes do not bother me, I lead a decent life, can afford most things I actually want (which isn't much my last big purchase was a bracelet I got essentially at cost and that was like 2 years ago, I could actually sell it for about 2x my cost) , and my taxes aren't too terribly high since quite a bit of it is capital gains right now, and my lifestyle is exceedingly cheap (relative to usual).
    Last edited by Themius; 2020-01-11 at 01:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    I mean I'm not going anywhere due to taxes, only place I'd go is Canada if anything.

Culture is far more important to me than taxes.
    I'm paying $10k a year in taxes, so I'll adapt to whatever culture other states have. Not that I'm moving but the thought has crossed my mind. The downside of other cheaper states is the distance between stores and other homes is rather large compared to some parts of NJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    I'm paying $10k a year in taxes, so I'll adapt to whatever culture other states have. Not that I'm moving but the thought has crossed my mind. The downside of other cheaper states is the distance between stores and other homes is rather large compared to some parts of NJ.
    I can't imagine anywhere I'd really want to move to in America other than California, which isn't very high on my list. There are things I would like to have.

Diverse area, plenty of Latinos, but not purely Mexican that's not exactly diverse. Although I guess that means I can get a great variety of really good cemitas.

I do not want to live in an area that's mostly just Americans with no ties to immigrants within 2 generations on either side. I've been in such places, and finding the most basic things proves difficult.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Should I cry? Or should I laugh?
    I can't describe the ridiculousness of this.
    3 days is more than most people in America get.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    So should I laugh or cry even more, then?

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    HR must be the biggest department in any American company smh.

Just to point out why this sounds so ridiculous in European ears: here in Germany we get 6 weeks paid leave when sick and up to 72 additional weeks at about 70% from health insurance. Despite that German economy isn't exactly poor.

Personally I am average 2 days sick per year over my entire 30 years working now but I really like the thought of not having to look for another job and/or going bankrupt should I fall ill in any serious way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Should I cry? Or should I laugh?
    I can't describe the ridiculousness of this.
    as of 2020 our company doesn't give anyone below full time ANY pto off. you just get about one week of sick days and one-two weeks of uto.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2020-01-11 at 06:17 PM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    as of 2020 our company doesn't give anyone below full time ANY pto off. you just get about one week of sick days and one-two weeks of uto.
    I know I am random internet anonimus, but I am truly sorry for you.
    Yes, I obviously am from Europe, we just don't really understand this :/

I know I am random internet anonimus, but I am truly sorry for you.
    Yes, I obviously am from Europe, we just don't really understand this :/
    Since i moved to Australia i would never give up the generous time off i have gotten. This is one of the reasons why i looked to leave in the first place ( while keeping the door open should something happen here ). The American worker is firstly stupid beyond belief and they think they themselves will be wealthy the following week which allows them to cope? deal with the entire stupidity they deal with. I am also speaking in general not every American worker wants to be a slave to their corporation / business but the vast majority voted in favor of right to work legislation etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jeezusisacasual View Post
    Since i moved to Australia i would never give up the generous time off i have gotten. This is one of the reasons why i looked to leave in the first place ( while keeping the door open should something happen here ). The American worker is firstly stupid beyond belief and they think they themselves will be wealthy the following week which allows them to cope? deal with the entire stupidity they deal with. I am also speaking in general not every American worker wants to be a slave to their corporation / business but the vast majority voted in favor of right to work legislation etc.
    I want to build a little on this. Most American Workers honestly believe the nonsense they've been fed since forever. That if they work hard, and don't take time off that they'll succeed. Many of them are convinced that $15/hour is some great wage that requires a college degree or the apprenticeship in a trade to achieve. They also believe that healthcare is something they should negotiate with their employer in lieu of hourly wages. In America people accumulate their sick time and are often punished for using it. Up until my wife unionized she was given 4 sick days per year but every time she used one she got an attendance occurrence. These occurrences accumulated with tardies and after three occurrences within the year would result in discipline. Yes given 4 sick days but would written up for attendance if three were used.

However if you bring up any of this in a conversation with people who defend these practices they'll immediately claim that the person wanting higher wages or healthcare for the general population is somehow lazy and trying to exploit their respective companies. Because apparently being successful and wanting other people to at least have a decent wage and the ability to go to a doctor without having to be in an either or situation seems to be mutually exclusive.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    I want to build a little on this. Most American Workers honestly believe the nonsense they've been fed since forever. That if they work hard, and don't take time off that they'll succeed. Many of them are convinced that $15/hour is some great wage that requires a college degree or the apprenticeship in a trade to achieve. They also believe that healthcare is something they should negotiate with their employer in lieu of hourly wages. In America people accumulate their sick time and are often punished for using it. Up until my wife unionized she was given 4 sick days per year but every time she used one she got an attendance occurrence. These occurrences accumulated with tardies and after three occurrences within the year would result in discipline. Yes given 4 sick days but would written up for attendance if three were used.

However if you bring up any of this in a conversation with people who defend these practices they'll immediately claim that the person wanting higher wages or healthcare for the general population is somehow lazy and trying to exploit their respective companies. Because apparently being successful and wanting other people to at least have a decent wage and the ability to go to a doctor without having to be in an either or situation seems to be mutually exclusive.
    People have a defeatist attitude in the states once they get facts. They say welp nothing can change lets switch this mode of conversation before i feel like a bigger moron.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jeezusisacasual View Post
    honestly if i could leave the u.s. at this point i probably would just so i could afford to go back to school and get a job that actually gives back to it's employees instead of the shitshow we have here. we have worker's rights even worse than some south american countries ffs. sorry south america. even community college is getting too expensive here. always wanted to be a accountant.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2020-01-12 at 06:38 PM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    honestly if i could leave the u.s. at this point i probably would just so i could afford to go back to school and get a job that actually gives back to it's employees instead of the shitshow we have here. we have worker's rights even worse than some south american countries ffs. sorry south america. even community college is getting too expensive here. always wanted to be a accountant.
    I would recommend finance but we are currently being outpaced with AI driven algorithm's and other methods that remove the actual brokering from us. These days i work as an analyst overseeing larger scale cost reduction plans and moving more into the accountancy side of things. I would venture further into education if i was doing it again simply due to the demand always being there or will be there before we have automated education areas. I actually start classes soonish to work towards that education path here in Australia and it will cost me 1/8th what it would in the states since by that point i will be naturalized. This will be a longer process for myself of course as i have time and no real debt to speak of which will likely be different from your perspective.