Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    No surprise here. Liberal policies pretty much never work. Picking a fight against business never helps anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    He abandoned the thread the moment he hit Create Thread.
    *Looks above*

Still here it seems.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mythic-RaidLead View Post
    No surprise here. Liberal policies pretty much never work. Picking a fight against business never helps anyone.
    Business is gone, so workers are working elsewhere...easy enough.
    Acquittal doesn't mean exoneration

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    Could you imagine if click bait articles were around then? "Gen X Slavers are ruining plantations and cotton picking and three other industries!"
    The new trend is blaming millenials. Like how they're killing (x) industry.

Ah yes we must worship the businesses never be critical. If we hurt their feefees they won't tinkle I mean trickle down!

OT: if you can't pay your people enough close your doors.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenlo View Post
    Ah yes we must worship the businesses never be critical. If we hurt their feefees they won't tinkle I mean trickle down!

OT: if you can't pay your people enough close your doors.
    And unemployment rate rises as a result.

Literally zero evidence supports this claim. It's a lie made up out of cobwebs and nothing. There is no observable correlation, let alone any identifable causative relationship, between minimum wage increases and unemployment rates.

Edit: And even though I cited international data earlier to support that point, let's continue with the blizzard of data to snow under this particular little dishonest nugget of horseshit.

https://www.nelp.org/publication/rai...oyment-levels/
    http://cepr.net/blogs/cepr-blog/stat...ose-that-didnt
    https://thinkprogress.org/the-troubl...-6e764d6eb82d/
    http://cepr.net/documents/publicatio...ge-2013-02.pdf
    http://www.fiscalpolicy.org/FPISmallBusinessMinWage.pdf

Minimum wage increases don't increase unemployment. There's no such observable connection.
    Last edited by Endus; 2019-12-30 at 09:13 PM.

So if a business closes people just don't get other jobs? Wow that stinks

Sounds more like a convenient excuse for people who couldn't run a successful business in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    Sounds more like a convenient excuse for people who couldn't run a successful business in the first place.
    Well why don't yooooouuuuu try running a business when all of your employees hate their job and their low pay. Not so easy, I bet :P

- - - Updated - - -

As @Endus pointed out (many times over), this doesn't actually happen. The increase in aggregate demand, as well as factors like better retention more than make up it.

- - - Updated - - -

Clearly the answer is to cut their taxes more.

(/s)
    "As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
    -H.L. Mencken, 1920

You're right, we should start paying people half minimum wage! That means twice the jobs available! What could go right?!

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

You're right, we should start paying people half minimum wage! That means twice the jobs available! What could go right?!
    You're thinking too small! Pay .001© and watch as all the jobs come! Money will tinkle down upon us in a golden shower of wealth and prosperity!

To hell with that! Lets sell ourselves to the company store!!!

Oh Noes, where else I can work for slave labor?

- - - Updated - - -

You're thinking too small! Pay .001© and watch as all the jobs come! Money will tinkle down upon us in a golden shower of wealth and prosperity!
    Pfft, you guys are lucky I'm here. You pay them nothing, and they get to eat the leftovers from customers. You'll never see cleaner dishes.

Labor is not the only part of the equation for full-service restaurant in Seattle. The city also has some of the highest lease rate in the US. Not to mention competition from the proliferation of the so-called “virtual restaurants” — kitchens that exist only to serve delivery customers and the food truck industry. The business model is changing rapidly.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2020-01-02 at 07:17 PM.

Relevant; Seattle passed a $15 minimum wage law in 2014. Here's how it's turned out so far

Consensus? Clueless...

----------------------

One of the challenges of measuring Seattle's experience with the minimum wage hike is that the city's economy is in a period of robust growth. Since the wage increase began in 2015, Seattle/Tacoma's job growth has slightly outpaced the state of Washington as a whole, at 12.9%. The city's population has increased some 13% over 2015, according to the Washington state Office of Financial Management. Average hourly earnings were $39.38 in October, an increase of 14.5% from the same month in 2015.
    That prompts a question: Are higher wages necessary due to the hot economy, or has the economy continued to grow due to higher pay?
    Acquittal doesn't mean exoneration

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Relevant; Seattle passed a $15 minimum wage law in 2014. Here's how it's turned out so far

Consensus? Clueless...

----------------------

One of the challenges of measuring Seattle's experience with the minimum wage hike is that the city's economy is in a period of robust growth. Since the wage increase began in 2015, Seattle/Tacoma's job growth has slightly outpaced the state of Washington as a whole, at 12.9%. The city's population has increased some 13% over 2015, according to the Washington state Office of Financial Management. Average hourly earnings were $39.38 in October, an increase of 14.5% from the same month in 2015.
    That prompts a question: Are higher wages necessary due to the hot economy, or has the economy continued to grow due to higher pay?
    Since it's one city it's hard to judge ofc but then again.
    Europe and US is a consumer based economy that achieves growth when people spend money. A minimum wage increase will benefit the people that don't work out of town or live close to the town so the money they spend will change hands within that local community.

I have to say, OP getting ripped a new one with the data and logic by so many of posters is kinda awesome.
    But yeah, when a restaurant complains about something like this, you can bet with a high certainty that they expect customers to keep the staff "paid" with tips. It is not business, but failure...

I would like to point out to all right-wingers that without liberal policies people would still be working 16 hours a day till the day they died.

When a certain policy fails liberals try to fix it
    When a certain policy fails conservatives double down on that failed policy

The minimum wage increase was whatever you opinion about the matter a necessary ''experiment'' at leas. Wages always need to keep up with inflation regardless of the ''skill level'' of that job.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    I have to say, OP getting ripped a new one with the data and logic by so many of posters is kinda awesome.
    But yeah, when a restaurant complains about something like this, you can bet with a high certainty that they expect customers to keep the staff "paid" with tips. It is not business, but failure...
    I mean, the fact that they have to use such a high failure rate business as a restaurant as an example is an indicator to the contrary, imo.

If the "problem" were real and pervasive, then there would be better examples than restaurants.

Fun fact, Portland, Maine was the top food destination in the country in 2018, while also having a higher minimum wage than most (all?) of Maine at the time due to local ordinance. The increases in state minimum wage has *not* hurt the restaurants in Portland.

This is because of the terrible tip system in the US and the owner not accounting for the salary, i am however not surprised that the creator of this OP doesn't know this, a familiar who often if not always fall for misinformation pieces that fits his side rhetoric.

If other countries can make it work by paying their employees properly i am sure the US at some point can to if the political will is there to do anything other than line their own pocket and lie to their base.

Higher minimum wage means more money rolling in the economy, so higher minimum wages are actually a boon if you understand a tiny fraction how an economy works, excess funds in worker pockets equals spending money.
    Last edited by Acidbaron; 2020-01-04 at 08:28 PM.