Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Lot pf right wingers will be crying the blues when Fed min wage goes up in January.

O wait. Looks like the state damn
    Last edited by Shadowferal; 2019-12-30 at 12:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    Customers don't choose where to spend money based on what employees of the restaurants are paid, they go based on price and quality. And restaurants that were able to make profits before the wage hikes and already have an established customer base use that savings to cover the increased costs while new restaurants have to start off at that level and a much higher barrier to entry. Once those new places can't compete because their prices are higher to cover the higher costs, they close, and now without competition, the established restaurants are free to raise their prices.
    That's not true. You're making it sound like NO restaurants are possible to form that can meet the minimum wage hike. By your definition, "established" restaurants should also feel this pinch.

The truth is someone smarter with more capital will put a new restaurant or other business there instead at some point or another.

Quote Originally Posted by mvaliz View Post
    That's not true. You're making it sound like NO restaurants are possible to form that can meet the minimum wage hike. By your definition, "established" restaurants should also feel this pinch.
    I thought it was clear I was giving a generic example to try to show a point. Established restaurants will feel it, but they're not necessarily feeling it instantly like a new place would since they already have a revenue stream from existing customers. In a few years when the established place absolutely has to raise prices, then competition will be on a more even playing field again. It's just difficult right when the change occurs which is why some places do have to close because of this. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but the change does have effects and it'll take time for everything to readjust.

And of course someone could open a restaurant that fills a niche that is missing so they're not really competing directly, but in a saturated big city like Seattle, that's hard to do.

Oh no, cheapass restaurants can't stay in business, now where will we get food poisoning?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeees... less entry level jobs, more automation. UBI soon.

Do you know how many plantations (and resulting townships) closed down when Slavery was abolished due to that nasty expense of needing to "pay" their workers?
    Could you imagine if click bait articles were around then? "Gen X Slavers are ruining plantations and cotton picking and three other industries!"

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    See this right here perfectly encapsulates why I am confused if I am really a conservative or not. I agree with a lot of the conservative talking points that I grew up with, but I do not agree with their illogical and contradictory positions on them.

I want to minimize government welfare, so that means I support a high minimum wage, government sponsored job skill training programs, and other programs that enable people to take care of themselves. Because I do believe in personal responsibility, but I also believe in helping people, not throwing shit at them and wondering why they aren't motivated enough to excel.

I am generally Pro-Life, but that means I support good sex education, availability of contraceptives, properly funding women's health clinics, providing options for single mothers to care for their children, and so forth. I also support the availability of abortion in extreme cases, but it should be properly funded and ideally rare. What I don't understand is the "Pro-Life" crowd that just wants to screw over pregnant women so hard that abortion starts to look like the only sane option, and then take that away as well. You don't want abortions? Fine, give them some options to avoid getting pregnant, and then give them options when they do get pregnant. You can't legislate away human reproduction because you don't like how it works.

I am Pro-Gun, but that means I am also for regulating guns, because they are obviously dangerous, because that is the whole point of a gun. So I don't like turning responsibility for gun regulation over to liberals that don't know shit about guns, I think the people (Like me) who want to own guns should step up and take responsibility for making them safe.

I am for secure borders. I am not for treating immigrants like shit because they had the sheer gall to try to move here. I want them to come here, America is a great country, they should be welcome to come join us. "Secure borders" to me means actually keeping out stuff like gangs, drugs and terrorists. It doesn't mean keeping out little brown kids.

I am for small government, so that means I am actually for reducing spending, not tossing obscene money at the military with no accountability or purpose.

I am for a strong military too, but as in the previous point, what the Military desperately needs is a rational foreign policy coupled with responsible oversight, not piles of cash.

So yeah, your post perfectly encapsulates why I am confused if I am actually a conservative or not, so when resident Trumpsters say I am not a real conservative I kind of agree with them. Because I actually believe the things they say they believe, along with the actual policies that would be needed to be in place to achieve them. They seem to oppose achieving all of their own talking points.
    I see that summed up as believing in stuff but not enough to go full retard over it - you seem to be capable of considering context whereas way too many people avoid that exertion and go for black and white.

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    Who would've ever thought this would happen..... More democratic policies causing jobs to be lost.

Who else is surprised this was by fox news?

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    Could you imagine if click bait articles were around then? "Gen X Slavers are ruining plantations and cotton picking and three other industries!"
    Yes I have!! I've actually thought it would be great if somebody made a TV series based on that very concept! Like, imagine how pre-Civil War/Pre-Abolishon days would've been had social media/youtube existed then. >_<

Yes I have!! I've actually thought it would be great if somebody made a TV series based on that very concept! Like, imagine how pre-Civil War/Pre-Abolishon days would've been had social media/youtube existed then.
    I like it! Terrifying but yeah... My imagination is going crazy with the idea...

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes I have!! I've actually thought it would be great if somebody made a TV series based on that very concept! Like, imagine how pre-Civil War/Pre-Abolishon days would've been had social media/youtube existed then. >_<
    You could probably dig up some old newspapers and propaganda fliers from the era to get a basic idea on these sorts of things. Even as technology changes, there are a number of constants of human social behavior that would make translating such things into modern day online style shitposting/trolling/what have you not as difficult as it might seem.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    You could probably dig up some old newspapers and propaganda fliers from the era to get a basic idea on these sorts of things. Even as technology changes, there are a number of constants of human social behavior that would make translating such things into modern day online style shitposting/trolling/what have you not as difficult as it might seem.
    Examine the "Magnolia Myth" as opposed to "Uncle Tom's Cabin" and dig up "***ger Doodle Dandy,"
    Check in 1848 Senator from MO Thomas Benton who compared slavery to a Biblical plague; “You could not look upon the table but there were frogs. You could not sit down at the banquet table but there were frogs. You could not go to the bridal couch and lift the sheets but there were frogs. We can see nothing, touch nothing, have no measures proposed, without having this pestilence thrust before us."

Like I said my imagination is going crazy trying to fit it all in some form of current day social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    I wonder if the OP will take away anything from 8 pages full of arguments against his premise.
    He abandoned the thread the moment he hit Create Thread.

No surprise here. Liberal policies pretty much never work. Picking a fight against business never helps anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    He abandoned the thread the moment he hit Create Thread.
    *Looks above*

Still here it seems.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mythic-RaidLead View Post
    No surprise here. Liberal policies pretty much never work. Picking a fight against business never helps anyone.
    Business is gone, so workers are working elsewhere...easy enough.

Ah yes we must worship the businesses never be critical. If we hurt their feefees they won't tinkle I mean trickle down!

OT: if you can't pay your people enough close your doors.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenlo View Post
    Ah yes we must worship the businesses never be critical. If we hurt their feefees they won't tinkle I mean trickle down!

OT: if you can't pay your people enough close your doors.
    And unemployment rate rises as a result.

10+ Year Old Account
    Literally zero evidence supports this claim. It's a lie made up out of cobwebs and nothing. There is no observable correlation, let alone any identifable causative relationship, between minimum wage increases and unemployment rates.

Edit: And even though I cited international data earlier to support that point, let's continue with the blizzard of data to snow under this particular little dishonest nugget of horseshit.

https://www.nelp.org/publication/rai...oyment-levels/
    http://cepr.net/blogs/cepr-blog/stat...ose-that-didnt
    https://thinkprogress.org/the-troubl...-6e764d6eb82d/
    http://cepr.net/documents/publicatio...ge-2013-02.pdf
    http://www.fiscalpolicy.org/FPISmallBusinessMinWage.pdf

Minimum wage increases don't increase unemployment. There's no such observable connection.
    Last edited by Endus; 2019-12-30 at 09:13 PM.

So if a business closes people just don't get other jobs? Wow that stinks

Sounds more like a convenient excuse for people who couldn't run a successful business in the first place.