Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Don't forget ventures. That's basically free money right there. The 18 hour Ventures you can send your retainer on always come back with the Allagan or whatever currency and can be worth a lot if you get your retainer up in levels and ilevel to where they can do the high ranked ones. Mine bring back $1k+ on each one, along with whatever items they brought back that can be sold.

I am not a crafter and rarely use the AH. From simply playing the game, leveling my characters, doing roulettes and beast tribe stuff, and retainers I hover at around 4 million all the time. I'll spend some every now and again to get a piece of gear for glamour, possibly some materia if I'm out of the one I want, but mostly, it's used to gear up that one job that needs an ilevel boost and I don't want to run roulettes or dungeons for hours and hours to get the tomes or possible item drops I would need to meet the ilevel jump from a new patch. My main job is never in this situation though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriani View Post
    Ultimately, it's not difficult to accumulate gil so long as you don't spend gil. And outside of teleport costs, there's little, if any, need to spend gil.

Gil is mainly for vanity items and convenience purchases. You should never need to buy gear from either vendors or the market board for gil.
    Pretty much this. Between quest rewards along the way and gear you can obtain from Tomestones of Poetics, you shouldn't need to buy any gear from a vendor from 50 up to level cap.

Crafting is *the* way to go to rake in cash, but it takes a while to work your way to the point you can do that. Not nearly as long now as it was pre-ShB (thanks to recent crafting revamps in 5.1), but it's still a time investment.

Unsung hero to making gil: Retainer ventures. They can bring back items worth 6 digits sometimes (Jet Black and Pure White dye spring to mind).

15+ Year Old Account
    Not a TON of money from this, but not terrible for a passive "I'm getting these anyway, so why not?" extra gil. You can buy demicrystals for Poetics and vendor them. 2,000 poetics will get you 40,000 gil which you can earn in a day or two of roulette. No MB involvement (which there are better methods), but easy extra money on the side. I can't remember the NPCs name that sells them, but if you google FFXIV demicrystals, I'm sure you can find it. It's in Ildy.

I've leveled 3 characters from fresh up to 80 through MSQ, the only gil you need to spend is on repairs and teleporting, and the MSQ throws enough gil at you to more than pay for that. If you sell off all the rewards you don't need (check the MB, some are actually worth something, and always better than the gold reward), you can easily have 2+ mil by the time you hit 80. As others have said, you use your tomestones to buy gear at 50, 60, and 70 which will last you until the next milestone. The 70 vendor gear will be pretty bad by 76-77, but the MSQ will not carry you to 80 if you focus on it, so the intended method here is either you spend a bunch of time doing side content or spamming dungeons, and if you spam dungeons you'll have nearly every piece replaced by 77. At 80 if you finish your role quest line, you'll be given a full left side set of 80 gear. It'll get you through the rest of the 5.0 MSQ, but you'll hit a wall for the ilvl req for the 5.1 dungeon. At that point you can run the level 80 content for upgrades or use tomes to buy upgrades.

Optionally at 80 is the only place where spending gil is actually useful. You can buy a full set of 450 crafted gear for 100-150k a piece, roughly. The only reason you should do this is if you want to skip gearing; you're trading your time for gil. In a few weeks with 5.2 we'll have a new set of crafted gear that will get you ready for the new content release if your goal is to jump into it as quickly as possible, but beware that those pieces may be 600k+ per during the first week of release. This will be the first set that requires crafters have progressed into a non-base set with melds to HQ, so it won't be as cheap as facet gear.

As a side note, I've also leveled alts with fully upgraded gear with melds nearly the entire way just as an experiment. It's really not noticeable unless you're a tank, and even then all it means is the healer will have to sacrifice some DPS. Outside of dungeons the difference is negligible. It's largest around x7-x9, but you're just a few hours at most from hitting x0 and getting a new massive gear spike so it's ultra not worth the investment.

Also gil making guides are pointless. They used to revolve around needing to spend most of your time doing something (e.g. crafting/gathering), but because SE has gutted all of those things, everyone can trivially do just about everything, so any time someone posts a guide, instead of actually making gil, they just crash a market. VII crafting materia were 60k gil back at the start of the expansion on my server, and I made 4000 of them. They're worth 5k gil now because everyone knows about how to farm yellow scrips.

The way the economy works at 80 is fairly straightforward. Raiders buy a few things, including food, potions, and materia/gear if the content is just being released. Most people spend their spare gil on glams, mounts, minions, that kind of stuff. Most of the cosmetic stuff requires treasure map drops or gardening mats, so guilds and groups will spam that content, and crafters will either make it for them or they'll sell them on the MB and crafters will buy them up and make/sell the cosmetics. Some mounts and minions are dropped and can be sold. So gil tends to trade hands a lot, and the MB cut is significant. If you're running a lot of content, repairs also eat gil. There are only a handful of other places where gil will be deleted in favor of something else, like desynth for demimateria. A near full-time crafter can go through 20 mil a day buying mats on the AH and then earn back a profit by selling what they make, and all of that has the AH tax, so a lot of us have deleted more gil than the average player will ever earn playing the game. There are other sinks, like housing, but those generally aren't as significant. But yes, due to the gil sinks being mostly insignificant, it's not uncommon for people to have 400+ million gil. I'd love for them to 10x the price of houses and offer vendor-only cosmetics for people to work towards, like say a 500 million gil mount or something.
    Last edited by BiggestNoob; 2020-02-04 at 06:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I make my gold with the leveling queue and the tank bonus:

~ 10k for completion +
    2 x VII Materia (~9k each) for 18k +
    1 x VIII Materia for 20k

and that for each run. Maybe not the most efficient way to do it, but i like dungeons ^^

I actually think that the best way to get you Final Fantasy currency is by buying it.

I mean, some people just doesn't have time for farming or leveling up in a regular matter, so you just go to a FFXIV Market like the marketplace you find in MMOAuctions and get what you need, whether it is gold or gear. Is easy and you can actually find trustable sources.

You can make money just by server hopping within your data center and buying things for cheap only to re-sell on your own server. For example, I bought a true barding of light for 700k on Gilgamesh a couple days ago. Sold it on my home server for 1.6 mil. Yoshi forcing taxes on market board buying a couple patches ago hurt this practice, but it's still pretty viable.

Ignore the moron supporting gold/gil sellers. Its a reason RMT is banned not matter what the game is unless there is a token system in place like WoW has and Wildstar had.

Good ways to get Gil is do your daily roulettes and be sure to do your challenge log. Each challenge is around 1-2k each when you finish them but when you hit the 10, 15, and etc done a week those give 10k each and they are easy to do plus you get extra EXP if you do them on an off class even if you have any.
    Ventures are someone says is a good way to make some money. Quick missions only take 1h to do and your retainer can bring back some worth while to sell items. Mine like to bring back the green quality dyes that can sell for a decent penny.
    This is for if and when you hit endgame in ShB but if you can level and max out a gather (diadem is the way to level i think now) you can daily get a treasure map and on my server they sell for 45-50k each still.

But if you are hitting a gearing gap I would not really buy gear off a vendor I would go into the max level instance you can go into and just run it to get some gear. Most you may have to do it buy a new weapon to keep your damage up but one item is better then a full set off a vendor.

Quote Originally Posted by rizyukaizen View Post
    This is for if and when you hit endgame in ShB but if you can level and max out a gather (diadem is the way to level i think now) you can daily get a treasure map and on my server they sell for 45-50k each still.
    I began delving into leveling up gathering and crafting over the last two weeks. What I have found is that it is far easier than I had thought it would, but the key is that you're going to have to level up almost all of the gatherers and crafters except fisher and culinarian up at once. Basically:
    • Go to your GC headquarters and buy a Survival Manual II with GC seals, and turn on the FC buff Earth and Water II. Eat any food for the additional 3% EXP buff. Then go to Ishgard, go to the Firmament, and do Diadem. Just harvest any node in sight and use your charges to blow up monsters. Do this while watching Youtube or Netflix or Crunchyroll, it's really easy (I have a separate UI where I have the minimap enlarged to max size)
    • Go to your GC headquarters and buy a Engineering Manual II with GC seals, and turn on the FC buff Helping Hand II. Go to that job guild's city state and do the highest level leve with this icon in the top right of the leve info panel. Leves with that icon mean that you can turn in three items for the price of one level allowance, which means you'll end up earning more exp than if you had just done higher exp leves that allow only a single turn in. From levels 1-20, you can buy all of the mats to craft the leve items for cheap from vendors in the cities, or can easily be gathered. Once you start hitting level 20, you'll start running into items that require you to have leves that require rare and expensive resources to complete. At that point, you should go to Diadem and start crafting the highest quality Skybuilders' items you can and turn that in. If you are unable to craft an item with the minimum amount of quality required for turn in, then you need to buy better crafting gear.
    • If you gather the mats yourself, you won't be paying a lot there. The really expensive part is buying better gear; I updated my gear every 10 levels and by the level 50s-60s I was dropping 100k per gear set. Be sure that your gear set can work for every gatherer and every DoH; don't make the mistake of dropping 100k on a level 50 Blacksmith set you'll only use for 10 levels on one job.

Like people have said tomestone gear pretty much lasts you through each expansion.

As for the gil, materia my dude. Not sure what the prices of VII materia are now, but when ShB came out when ever i would get a VII or VIII materia from a dungeon or buy with various currencies you would be able to sell it for 20-60k a pop depending. The crafting/gathering materia were going for like 90k and took like 5 minutes to get depending on node spawn timers. If you look up how to turn spiritbonded gear to materia the low level materia also says for a decent amount since ppl ALWAYS need atleast materia I-III for old relic weapons and cleans your inventory out in the process. Almost every sells as well for whatever materials you randomly get prob make some money. It just adds up since there isnt really much to spend gil on until you get a ridiculous amount and can sink it into crafting or house shit.

Once you get a crafter/gatherer or 2 to max (honestly with the changes its RIDICULOUSLY easy, got most of them to max level in like a 2-3 week span even with working fulltime) gil is pretty much a non-factor and becomes a "when do i want to make money" instead of a how. Usually just buy some mats out of the ah( i usually just make the dreadwyrm caster set or usually alot of cosmetic glamour) and sell it for like 5-10 times the mat costs if not just getting the mats for free on your own with tomes if you can or with a gatherer which again since there is only 3 you can probably max them out in literally a week if not less, leve quests for gatherers give MULTIPLE levels under 50 its fucking nuts ontop of collectibles at 50+ which give like 2-3 levels .
    Last edited by Seiryu99; 2020-08-29 at 08:28 PM.