Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Is Warcraft dying in the US?

Was just looking at some realm pop sites, and was surprised to see how low the US realm active player pop was, lower than EU and even Korea - remembered that the movie flopped in the US , but was a much bigger hit outside it.

Can blizzard no longer capture American gamers with Warcraft??

Happens every period of an expansion lull in between latter patches. If it was dying, they wouldn't be investing money and resources into a new expansion for a dying game.

I wouldn't use the few weeks downtime during Christmas and New Year and content drought pre major patch as an indication of the overall health of the most successful MMO the past 15 years on any given continent.

EU has always had a stronger wow playerbase.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    Was just looking at some realm pop sites, and was surprised to see how low the US realm active player pop was, lower than EU and even Korea - remembered that the movie flopped in the US , but was a much bigger hit outside it.

you've been on this website for over 10 years. you should know by now that this kind of thread is not going to be constructive and is going to be closed.
    shame.

Yes, yes, warcraft is dying again, and it has nothing to do with holidays or being clode to a new patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Happens every period of an expansion lull in between latter patches. If it was dying, they wouldn't be investing money and resources into a new expansion for a dying game.
    Based on your reply you either didn't read that he said dying in the US or you don't realize that the majority of players are not on NA realms.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

No, it is not. Same as all the other tens of thousands of times that someone posed this question during the past 15 years.

Next.

Umm... is the game not 15 years old? Anyone who had a computer the past decade played WoW once or twice already, and hating on WoW is cooler than actually playing it in the new generation, so yeah, I'd say "no longer" indeed.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Was just looking at some realm pop sites
    I think that's where you went wrong with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    Based on your reply you either didn't read that he said dying in the US or you don't realize that the majority of players are not on NA realms.
    Yeah and I mentioned the expansion lull. American players are more fickle. They aren't as loyal to MMO's and subscribe and unsubscribe at the drop of a dime. It'll spike up again in Shadowlands as it always does and dip again after once they consume all the content.

The US playerbase has always been smaller than the EU and Asia makes up for at least 60% of the entire WoW playerbase. Video game culture is not as much of a thing in the US in general.

It's not what it once was in the US. It needs new concepts or games around Warcraft. Just bi-annual refresh expansions isn't going to be enough to make it "huge" again. But that also doesn't mean its dead or dying. It's in a pretty good spot honestly. Just not the biggest thing ever but steady and sturdy for sure and for years to come.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account

oh my, imagine having a lower active player count over christmas which also coincides with the end of a major patch when realm pop is lower anyway. go back to that website around the middle of Feb and see how many active users there are for the previous month. that will give you a far better idea of how many people play

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Yeah and I mentioned the expansion lull. American players are more fickle. They aren't as loyal to MMO's and subscribe and unsubscribe at the drop of a dime. It'll spike up again in Shadowlands as it always does and dip again after once they consume all the content.
    Except you're wrong as shown in expansions past. It wasn't until WoD that the American players stopped sticking around, there was never "lull" like this in the middle of expansions it was always during content droughts for obvious reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW has been dying since end WOTLK.
    Nothing new. It just gonna hit lower and lower numbers each expansion.
    To the point that WoW is just a normal MMORPG like the rest.

They have their oldskool status that keeps WoW so mighty. But nowadays WoW is a joke, so obv it is close to dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    Except you're wrong as shown in expansions past. It wasn't until WoD that the American players stopped sticking around, there was never "lull" like this in the middle of expansions it was always during content droughts for obvious reasons.
    Oh, I guess you're right then? Interest in WoW could be waning here but still booming in Europe and China. I mean, the US and North America in general, the gaming population here is nowhere near as large as it is in China and Europe.

The interest is not "booming" anywhere else either.

BFA was just a horrible expansion with horrible story+gameplay decisions and also very long periods of fuck-all-nothing to do in between patches. Yes, a lul at the end of expansion is normal - a lul right at the start of the expansion and then two more before we even have the final patch out is NOT normal. That's WoD levels of shit.

Warcraft is not "dying", yet. They still have the opportunity to turn the ship around by simply making the game better again - but with their track record of decisions and additions over the last few years it does not look bright for Blizzard in general, not just the Warcraft franchise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathasil View Post
    The interest is not "booming" anywhere else either.

BFA was just a horrible expansion with horrible story+gameplay decisions and also very long periods of fuck-all-nothing to do in between patches. Yes, a lul at the end of expansion is normal - a lul right at the start of the expansion and then two more before we even have the final patch out is NOT normal. That's WoD levels of shit.

Warcraft is not "dying", yet. They still have the opportunity to turn the ship around by simply making the game better again - but with their track record of decisions and additions over the last few years it does not look bright for Blizzard in general, not just the Warcraft franchise.
    They had that chance since 2010. and it gets worse by the fucking expansion.
    WoW: classic is gonna keep wow alive a bit longer but that is because that is oldskool WoW, that people liked.

WoW takes too much money, time and development to be an increasing activity flagship.
    It has been on auto pilot since like the start of Overwatch.

Remember 2004-2009 WOW? The adverrtisement, the proper patches. The Hype etc.
    Nowadays it's all streamlined to be most profitable as possible but removing all the fun aspects and the whole idea that made the game actually WOW!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

Keyboard Turner
    3+ Year Old Account
    I don't think it's dying, it is however dwindling in sub numbers, imo. People are way to attached to wow for it to die, it'll probably never happen.