Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    14 chars at 120 :P (since Feb 2005)
    I level my alts only in the last weeks of the expansion and will most likely just postpone it for shadowlands XP nerfs. I dont really need alts or lets call it what is it, gold farming, since I dont do progression raiding anymore.
    hidden information WoWArmory | Raider.IO | WoWProg | logs Logs1 | Logs2 | Logs3

Depends on how you mean that. If a game like WoW released today but everything inspired by WoW and it's success had happened anyway regardsless of its existence? It would bomb hard like all MMOs since the cost is utterly disproportional to what it gives you.

If WoW had never happned before and it only now drops onto the market then I'd like to second this answer:
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    It's really impossible to say, because WoW had a huge impact on the video game ecosystem. Without WoW we wouldn't have seen half the online games that came out between 2008 and 2013, because publishers wouldn't have been willing to gamble those huge budgets on an unproven model.
    WoW had too much of an impact on the industry as a whole that it's nigh impossible to gauge how it would behave today since the industry might be completely different today as well.
    /tar Tinker-zealot /point /lol
    WoW:Shadowlands - Danuser's Divina Commedia?

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Back in 2003, my high school buddy had said something to me about WoW before it launched that is surprisingly still relevant all these years later: "Blizzard is making a MMO. All MMOs are terrible. Yet all Blizzard games are great. So I'm going to play it, and probably hate it, but still love it because it's Blizzard."
    I miss that Blizzard

I found out a few years back that Blizz (Silicon and Synapse) made one of the games I spent hours playing all day as a kid

Rock n roll racing

I can't count the number of times I rented Rock n Roll racing from Movie Time lol I got a legit blister on my finger from holding down the key on the controller so long
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) Kill yourself -updated 3/7/2020

Quote Originally Posted by Heran View Post
    Or, we have tried other mmos and this is the only mmo that is somewhat good.
    Reality is WoW stole most of its good ideas from other mmos, Blizzard is just good at taking ideas and making it look like they were the first ones who did it. They're really terrible when it comes to making new ideas or systems.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    Reality is WoW stole most of its good ideas from other mmos, Blizzard is just good at taking ideas and making it look like they were the first ones who did it. They're really terrible when it comes to making new ideas or systems.
    I mean, you can say this about just about any game and developer. Doom 2016, for example, was hardly new but it iterated on the FPS concept in enough unique ways to become its own genuinely compelling product.

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    I level my alts only in the last weeks of the expansion and will most likely just postpone it for shadowlands XP nerfs. I dont really need alts or lets call it what is it, gold farming, since I dont do progression raiding anymore.
    Hey...this just struck me, indeed. I am currently in the process of levelling another 4 chars from 110-120...and then a few (6) Allied races also. And there is another year ahead....it seems like nothing at all to fill the void until Shadowlands..and then I shall lokk at an army of atls in 2021 and go "Oh...f....why did I ever do this?"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    No idea what new systems they made that were all that new. I mean..what really WAS new? Unless you go aaaaaalllllll the way back to the beginning of things...like with the C64 around 1985 or so?

And being all creative and shit might in the end not be the thing that makes you the company that survises. Didn't we all love the crazy creative ideas that Peter Molyneux had? To this day I love Populous to death and putting a dungeon game upside down by making you play the guy who runs the dungeon. Is he still around?

If anything amazes me about Blizzard, it is how late they come to the game (and take ideas) and still make an impact (as with HotS, HS or Overwatch). Now...you might gol "Lol, but HotS is dead" - but at the end of the day they still suck their fair share of money out of the market and get people to play these game...even when it seems LoL or Magic the Gathering has the market cornered.

"Stealing ideas" is such a vague concept. Sure there were other MMOs before, but making another is that really stealing? Can there ever be only the one initial racing game? The one Run and Jump..and everyone else "steals". I mean..even the Orcs and humans idea...you can go "Oh...it is stolen from Tolkien"..well...he "stole" from mythology.

I dare anyone be totally radically creative. And also ...go as hard on all the other games that apparently were awesome over the years. I bet you can lump the same accusations on God of War (lol, stealing from mythology), Red Dead Redemption (lol, stealing from the good ole Westens" or Witcher (lol, stealing from...fantasy in general) if you really want to piss on these titles.

If you ask me...for WoW, just making instanced dungeons work was already a game changer that made WoW unique and contributed to the success (along ofc with the incredible accessibility for "casuals")

I mean, you can say this about just about any game and developer. Doom 2016, for example, was hardly new but it iterated on the FPS concept in enough unique ways to become its own genuinely compelling product.
    Yeah, but it is kinda still the same company and devs behind it who made it..well...Doom in ...OMFG..when was that? 1993?
    Last edited by det; 2019-12-29 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    If it would be like vanilla it would fail hard

If it would be like modern wow Legion/BfA it would seize quite decent piece of playerbase.
    Yet, the reverse is true..

Back in 2003, my high school buddy had said something to me about WoW before it launched that is surprisingly still relevant all these years later: "Blizzard is making a MMO. All MMOs are terrible. Yet all Blizzard games are great. So I'm going to play it, and probably hate it, but still love it because it's Blizzard."
    I didn't start playing until Feb' 05 for this reason. I played Asheron's Call for a month and hated it, I'd heard EQ was worse, so I was adamantly anti-MMO. A friend I played Diablo 2 with kept at me to try WoW and assured me it wasn't like the others. (I never played any of the WC games so that was not a draw.) I started out with a NE hunter and was instantly addicted. As much as people say it copied EQ, I felt like it was a natural extension of D2.
    "People with depression score higher on tests of realism. Intelligence is positively correlated with mental illness and suicide. What this indicates is that if the mind understands too much about reality, it wants to destroy itself. Human life is existential horror."

It would probably be mediocre at best since it basically is going up against what the current version is struggling with.

Quote Originally Posted by Usernameforforums View Post
    If it launched as vanilla, yeah no, it would fail. We got games like the division and destiny that would be better for the players.

If it was legion as the vanilla launch, yeah itll survive. Bfa might survive but bfas shortcomings is mainly due to being directly after the greatness of legion.

Wrath might survive but anything else i dont see it happening.
    thats funny because legion was mostly a dumpster fire. mop had the best class balance this game has ever seen. wrath had some of the best story and really good raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    Yet, the reverse is true..
    No sorry, modern type of gamers don't want to invest a lot of time in game because its just a game.

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    No sorry, modern type of gamers don't want to invest a lot of time in game because its just a game.
    "Modern" type? Not really.

People play MMO's without knowing that it does not end after 48hours of gameplay all the time.
    WoW's success is the low entry point, not so edgy graphics, slow start into MMO gameplay that turns many 48hour gamers into one-game players that play regularly the same game.

Just look at shadowlands main changes, they clear up the 15year old clutter for a better FIRST_TIME experience. Blizzard knows very well the secret sauce that drives WoW.
    hidden information WoWArmory | Raider.IO | WoWProg | logs Logs1 | Logs2 | Logs3

Remember when blizzard copied companions (followers) and Starship (garrison) from Star Wars: The Old republic? And then totally abandoned the concept because they half-assed it. It’s a great system in SWTOR.

I would have gone the way of Wildstar.

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    "Modern" type? Not really.

People play MMO's without knowing that it does not end after 48hours of gameplay all the time.
    WoW's success is the low entry point, not so edgy graphics, slow start into MMO gameplay that turns many 48hour gamers into one-game players that play regularly the same game.

Just look at shadowlands main changes, they clear up the 15year old clutter for a better FIRST_TIME experience. Blizzard knows very well the secret sauce that drives WoW.
    Yes really, key point is time invested vs amount of fun.
    And since WoW was really slow start for couple of expansions, something like vanilla wow wouldn't had a chance today.

Shadowlands changes are about 6 years too late. We all knew first impression is important long time ago, we also knew that first impression of wow as new player completely sucks donkeys cock. We also knew leveling was slow as fuk. Timelines disjointed.

It doesn't turn any "48h gamers" into anything, not as long they don't have fun. Since even after leveling you are still required to do many boring shit to have some fun.

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingWarrior View Post
    Wait a minute, isn't Everquest still alive and played? Sure, it's not the glory days, but I think there are still some people who play it?
    to use another metaphor, modern day everquest is more akin to the crocodile, sure it has a lot of genetic similarities to dinosaurs but are essentially an evolution of the dead things of the past, much the same way that you could say cataclysm was the last 'proper' wow expansion.

retired march 2013 RIP - returned january 2016, purely because paladins finally get Ashbringer!

WoW was lightening in a bottle it came around at the right time and place... 15 years later it might have been an entirely different game.

If it were released today, it would be F2P with cash shops and loot boxes galore, i.e. the asian MMO business model.

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    Failure.

WoW had it moment because plenty of players went from Wc3 to WoW. Nowadays I think that almost ~90% of the playerbase are the ones who started to play in vanilla-wotlk and they're playing the game just because they invested too much time and they don't want it to be wasted... or they're just too attached to the game and for some it's actually fun for them to play it.
    When the question of "when you started playing" is asked, I'm always surprised about how few veterans there are still playing. The amount of people who started in Classic or TBC is extremely low (as a huge % of those left during WotLK in the first place), the amount of "Wrath babies" left is also very low, although sligthly higher.

The vast majority of players did without a doubt start playing during on of the latter expansions though. Most active retail players today probably started in MoP, WoD or Legion.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

Quote Originally Posted by caelestum View Post
    Just think for a moment that WoW was released someday near today, let's say it was vanilla WoW, but some of the QoL feature WoW has today, from WoD models to some of the systems Legion and BFA brought.

How the mmo community would've received? Could had been a success or a failure? It's release would've refreshed the mmo genre?

What do you think?
    What MMO community? FF is the only other community there is and would not been around if not for wow.

MMO market is basically dead. If wow released now you would see headlines like "is blizzard going to survive through to the end of the quarter?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro