Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

How do I tackle 3 expansions of gated content? E.g. allied races, flying...

As a brief little context, I've always played on and off WoW, and its always been casual. Got a level 36 rogue in a PvP server that was stuck in STV....quit there haha. Made it to 70 in BC but never did many dungeons and never raided. Picked up around ToC in WotLK, made it to ICC up to LK where we just couldnt kill him, bummer. Played through cataclysm and stopped kinda midway through. Picked up MoP near when Throne of Thunder was just getting released, but didnt do much. Since then I havent played since September '18 when I picked up BFA, quit once I got 6/8H or something in Uldir and had demanding IRL stuff happen, and just started playing recently. I learned a few things

1) Reputation farming by dailys has gotten arguably worse, having dozens and dozens of world quests available to do.
    2) Very cool things (allied races) and quality of life things (flying) are TIME gated by dailies and rep, which leads to my third point
    3) I feel completely fucked knowing that the amount of content is both unfulfilling (dailies) and overwhelming (dailies), and I need to use time gated reputation gains in order to get really cool features that arguably should be baseline with how much we pay for WoW.

So enough of my complaints and backstory, I got a questions for you all. If you were in my shoes...totally skipping WoD, Legion, and have Part 1/2 of pathfinder for BFA, how would you spend your time? With 8.3 coming around the corner I am by no means NEEDING to do 8.2 raids with 8.3 raids coming out soon.

I figured I can prioritize my time the following, but I really really would love your input, especially if you've been in my shoes. FWIW, I'll try these concurrently especially when they are dailies that reset.

1) Prioritize Mecha and Naz dailies to finish the storyline for BFA PF part 2. Yay flying.

2) Work on Pathfinder for Legion. Whats the best way to tackle rep, though once I have all other achievements unlocked?

3) Work on Allied Races for Legion now that I can fly

4) Work on WoD flying

5) Make a 120 Alliance, and work towards unlocking the several allied races again through legion and BFA?

Maybe Im a millenial for complaing but holy fuck that seems like a lot of work. That seems like a full time job for 3-6 months honestly.
    Thats why I kinda want to know what you did, or what you'd recommend. If WoD isnt worth the time I can skip that.

Why on Earth do you need Pathfinder for WoD and Legion? I practically lived in WoD when it was current content and I never even bothered with flying. No idea what would compel you to go back. Even Legion is kind of pointless. On top of that, leveling in Shadowlands will let you bypass both expansions entirely.

Save your time, complete flying in BfA and call it a day.

edit: I guess if you must get Allied Races flying in Legion would be nice. But it's by no means required.

Are they not worth the time? I dont know how fast leveling is from 0-120, I think most of my characters have been boosted (to 110 for BFA, to 120 for preordering shadowlands). If its pretty straight forward and flying genuinely isnt helpful then I can consider removing it off the list.

But allied races are nice to have, no? I honestly dont know if I would ever use them (BE and humans are just nice models) but if they arent too much of a grind to get then I can do it. I just dont know if when people say "Hey it took me 2 weeks starting from scratch to get allied races"....idk if thats from using WoW as a full time job like 8-12 hours a day, or if thats pretty consistent 1-3 hours a day or whatever

Quote Originally Posted by chalck View Post
    Are they not worth the time? I dont know how fast leveling is from 0-120, I think most of my characters have been boosted (to 110 for BFA, to 120 for preordering shadowlands). If its pretty straight forward and flying genuinely isnt helpful then I can consider removing it off the list.

But allied races are nice to have, no? I honestly dont know if I would ever use them (BE and humans are just nice models) but if they arent too much of a grind to get then I can do it. I just dont know if when people say "Hey it took me 2 weeks starting from scratch to get allied races"....idk if thats from using WoW as a full time job like 8-12 hours a day, or if thats pretty consistent 1-3 hours a day or whatever
    You're the only one who can answer that question. It's up to you whether you value those things enough to warrant the grind. But you said itself, you'd have to play the game like a second job if you want to do it "quickly."

Personally, I don't give a shit about Allied Races. I wanted to unlock Zandalari Trolls but I hate rep grinding so I just did dailies and faction xfer'd once I hit Exalted after about a month of dailies. If you really like a specific race then by all means, go for it. Like I said, if you're unlocking one of the Legion races flying is nice but not required. And WoD's leveling areas were designed without flying in mind so it's perfectly fine for leveling without it.

I'd skip old expansion flying, with shadowlands leveling revamp is looks incredibly unnecessary.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    As a brief little context, I've always played on and off WoW, and its always been casual. Got a level 36 rogue in a PvP server that was stuck in STV....quit there haha. Made it to 70 in BC but never did many dungeons and never raided. Picked up around ToC in WotLK, made it to ICC up to LK where we just couldnt kill him, bummer. Played through cataclysm and stopped kinda midway through. Picked up MoP near when Throne of Thunder was just getting released, but didnt do much. Since then I havent played since September '18 when I picked up BFA, quit once I got 6/8H or something in Uldir and had demanding IRL stuff happen, and just started playing recently. I learned a few things

1) Reputation farming by dailys has gotten arguably worse, having dozens and dozens of world quests available to do.
    2) Very cool things (allied races) and quality of life things (flying) are TIME gated by dailies and rep, which leads to my third point
    3) I feel completely fucked knowing that the amount of content is both unfulfilling (dailies) and overwhelming (dailies), and I need to use time gated reputation gains in order to get really cool features that arguably should be baseline with how much we pay for WoW.

So enough of my complaints and backstory, I got a questions for you all. If you were in my shoes...totally skipping WoD, Legion, and have Part 1/2 of pathfinder for BFA, how would you spend your time? With 8.3 coming around the corner I am by no means NEEDING to do 8.2 raids with 8.3 raids coming out soon.

I figured I can prioritize my time the following, but I really really would love your input, especially if you've been in my shoes. FWIW, I'll try these concurrently especially when they are dailies that reset.

1) Prioritize Mecha and Naz dailies to finish the storyline for BFA PF part 2. Yay flying.

2) Work on Pathfinder for Legion. Whats the best way to tackle rep, though once I have all other achievements unlocked?

4) Work on WoD flying

5) Make a 120 Alliance, and work towards unlocking the several allied races again through legion and BFA?

Maybe Im a millenial for complaing but holy fuck that seems like a lot of work. That seems like a full time job for 3-6 months honestly.
    Thats why I kinda want to know what you did, or what you'd recommend. If WoD isnt worth the time I can skip that.
    the last couple of months have been the best time to do this with the 15% exp & rep boost from the anniversary and the Korrak revenge event.

Legion world quests give a lot more than BfA ones and have been boosted so you can blast through the rep a lot quicker. world quest weeks also have a 50% boost to rep gained from wq's which helps a lot in Legion.

WoD - just quest through, when timewalking comes up save ya badges for when WoD timewalking hits and you can buy rep tokens. get an addon for the treasure bit and you're basically done

edit: on a side note, you know who I find complains more than milennials? fucking boomers!
    Last edited by MrLachyG; 2019-12-30 at 04:56 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    "How do I tackle 3 expansions of gated content?"

You play the game.

5+ Year Old Account
    I understand you have a goal, but it seems you dont enjoy the journey.

7+ Year Old Account
    Enjoy the journey. Seriously, enjoy it. WoD is kind of meh but legion is, imo, amazing. I started playing Legion after BfA was released because Legion at that point was free. I enjoyed Legion so much I delayed getting into BfA by.... months and months. I enjoyed Legion so much that, even though I thought BfA looked "meh" I bought it anyway. So, I say again: enjoy the journey.

Of course, if all you care about is raiding and being an "elite" end game player, then... you're kind of fucked. Suck it up and just plow through it.

This is pretty easy and sort of work out just by playing the game "normally".

What's the point?

Or wait until Shadowlands when leveling is re-made.

4) Work on WoD flying
    Holy shit no?

Or wait until Shadowlands when leveling is re-made.

That seems like a full time job for 3-6 months honestly.
    Thats why I kinda want to know what you did, or what you'd recommend.
    Just play the game normally. Do stuff you find fun. When it's not fun, don't do it. The "full time job" is only a job if you make it into one.

10+ Year Old Account

4) Work on WoD flying

Some you don't need now...with the rep boosts I was able to unlock LF, VE, and NB in less than two weeks. (That was mostly focusing on LF and VE then after going for NB because I needed to level up a Horde character)

[QUOTE=Frolo Bobbins;51983032Just play the game normally. Do stuff you find fun. When it's not fun, don't do it. The "full time job" is only a job if you make it into one.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, I do play the game for the content I find fun (raiding) and I've yet to unlock BFA flying. As someone who has been raiding since TBC, this time gating behind garbage content you don't find fun or interesting in the slightest REALLy has to go.

4) Work on WoD flying
    I would put this last on the list. Then burn the list and bury the ashes. Because the rep grind required for WoD flying is the worse I have experienced. I got it in the end. It might have easier when it was current and there were lots of people to find group to spread the pain and work but I returned to it during Legion and I find it really terrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Reputations got buffed so insanely of old contents, you get the allied races with almost no effort.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolo Bobbins View Post
    Just play the game normally. Do stuff you find fun. When it's not fun, don't do it. The "full time job" is only a job if you make it into one.
    This. All of this. I have no idea why you'd do stuff just to get it done unless you found the stuff required to be enjoyable.

Old expansion flying should probably be considered as valuable as having a relevant heirloom, but taking far longer. They make levelling in that expansion faster, and you can choose which expansion you're levelling in in SL anyway. Treasures in Legion and WoD may make that valuable but I'm skeptical.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by Neuroticaine View Post
    To be fair, I do play the game for the content I find fun (raiding) and I've yet to unlock BFA flying. As someone who has been raiding since TBC, this time gating behind garbage content you don't find fun or interesting in the slightest REALLy has to go.
    I do play content I find fun as well (raiding and pushing keys). I unlocked BFA flying without really noticing, just by doing normal stuff to get my essences.

I stopped playing during Legion, because it was full of ungated Legendary farming - I burned out on the endless 24/7 Maw of Souls runs for AP and "bad luck protection". They improved that situation a lot in BFA, IMHO.

The only thing that requires "unproportional effort" now are alt essences, but it seems like 8.3 has helpful nerfs coming.
    Last edited by Frolo Bobbins; 2019-12-30 at 05:37 AM.

If you want it to seem easier, you can focus on just doing one thing at a time. It'll take a lot longer, but it'll seem more manageable that way.

Flying is nice to have, but you said it yourself, its all time gated. Id say focus on the reps for allied races and move on. The rep for 2 of the allied races of Legion cannot fly anyway. You can ignore WoD flying all together. Nothing worthwhile there at all. You can get Flying for Legion if you work on that while doing the ARs since part of that is reps you'll need anyway for high mountaint and night born.

As for BFA, mechagon is by far the most annoying task. 1 major daily a day and that's really it. You can do the minor ones but they are not too much. Just work slowly and try to do as much at the same time as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

4) Work on WoD flying

simple decided if your desire for said items are worth the effort needed to obtain them. If the answer is yes, grind them out, if the answer is no, then don't. I don't see why people have a hard time figuring this out.