Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    It never gets below 40 degrees where I live. That's basically the temperature floor.
    I believe the lowest most plumbers recommend setting your thermostat to is 50 degrees in the winter (if you’re not home) to avoid pipes from freezing/bursting.

Up to you, though.
    Fairy tales are more than true – not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten. -G. K. Chesterton & Neil Gaiman
    Twitter | DeviantArt | Twitch

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I believe the lowest most plumbers recommend setting your thermostat to is 50 degrees in the winter (if you’re not home) to avoid pipes from freezing/bursting.

Up to you, though.
    I have to assume that's for locales where the temperature drops below freezing. If the temperature never gets near 32 degrees I can't imagine a scenario where pipes could burst. My understanding was pipes burst due to freezing temperatures.

Up to you, though.
    Your pipes will not burst or freeze at 50F (10C), unless piping abroad is a lot different to over here.

OT: Doors closed and pitch black, can't stand any noise or light.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    I have to assume that's for locales where the temperature drops below freezing. If the temperature never gets near 32 degrees I can't imagine a scenario where pipes could burst. My understanding was pipes burst due to freezing temperatures.
    Exposed pipes are vulnerable to bursting because if the water is not being used and is stagnant in the pipe it can cause the water to freeze and expand and obviously penetrate the pipe, that requires temperatures below freezing, of course. The majority of bursts outside are caused by a constant change from hot to cold weather which causes the ground to move and gradually chip at the pipe. This varies depending on the material and age of the pipe, and what the excavation to lay the pipe has been backfilled with. An example would be if the ground is backfilled with hard stone instead of sand, then this is more likely to gradually attack the pipe and likely to cause a burst at some point.

Depends, if the cat is sleeping In the room then closed if he isn't then opened. But it really doesn't matter, he knows how to open the door by jumping on a door handle

Up to you, though.
    Thats if it gets colder outside. if 40 is the lowest it goes period he won't have issues with freezing

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Your pipes will not burst or freeze at 50F (10C), unless piping abroad is a lot different to over here.

science is science. aside from pressure changes water will only freeze at 32/0 or below.
    I have a fan. Seems he was permabanned.

Bloodsail Admiral Art the Clown's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    I've read in the past that if there's a fire in the house then having the door closed will give a little extra time to get out through a window or something.
    It's true that. I had firemen come around last year for a fire safety talk and they told me to close all the doors before going to bed. Although I have to leave the bedroom door slightly ajar, or the windows steam up because I'm hot stuff in bed.

Closed. I never considered leaving any door open. They’re doors. They are meant to be closed and can open to let you through. If you don’t close doors, then why have them?

Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    If you don’t close doors, then why have them?
    I like to be able to hear my kids at night (open) but there’s also times we need privacy (sexy time/closed).
    Fairy tales are more than true – not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten. -G. K. Chesterton & Neil Gaiman
    Twitter | DeviantArt | Twitch

The Unstoppable Force breadisfunny's Avatar
    Closed. I never considered leaving any door open. They’re doors. They are meant to be closed and can open to let you through. If you don’t close doors, then why have them?
    then how you do walk through it if it's closed? checkmate.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    then how you do walk through it if it's closed? checkmate.
    (...) can open to let you through (...)
    ?

/10char

Closed, locked, i move my PC desk infront of the door and face a claymore towards door before i go to bed.
    I also like to sleep with my window open.
    R I P old signature.

Closed. I need a room that is absolutely dark, not a single beam of light gets in.

Closed and locked ever since waking up to a friend of my brother groping me.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Closed, locked, sometimes even with my chair parked in front of it... Even when completely alone.

Living in a college dorm my freshman year basically left me paranoid. Resident assistants and dorm maintenance at my school had no regard for privacy at all, they would knock on the door and if you didn't instantly open it, they let themselves in. I rarely scheduled early AM classes, so most days I was still asleep early in the morning. So many times over that year I would wake up and there would be random people going through my room doing whatever shit they needed to do while I was asleep. And they never gave notice either, there was never like a note on my door that said "hey next Tuesday we will be replacing your faucet at 8am" or something... They would just arbitrarily show up and do things like that; happened every other couple weeks the entire time I was there.

Don't think I will ever sleep soundly again unless I can barricade whatever door I am sleeping behind.
    Reminds me of living with my brother. Dude was a drug addict, you couldn't trust a word he said and i'd caught him in my room before. I didn't have a lock on my door so any time i left, i'd just get a load of random shit, stack it all up, take a picture of it and then squeeze around it and close the door.

If anyone opened my door, they'd knock it all down and even if they wanted to try and set it all up again, they'd never do it in the same order I did.

Caught him a few times with that one. People that don't respect privacy should be whipped naked through the street. Absolute assholes, the lot of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    Islam is a race. End of discussion.
    Nazi btw

Open, so that the cats can come and go as they please.

- - - Updated - - -

Just because they can be closed, doesn't mean that they have to be closed at all times. Do you really close very door in your house? Why would I close every door in my house just because there is a door there?

I close doors when I need to. I close a door to keep the cats outs of the kitchen when I have something cooling on the counter, I close the front door when it is too cold for the cats to be on the enclosed porch or when I am not home/sleeping but why would I close my kitchen and bedroom doors for no reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Seirith View Post
    Open, so that the cats can come and go as they please.

- - - Updated - - -

Just because they can be closed, doesn't mean that they have to be closed at all times. Do you really close very door in your house? Why would I close every door in my house just because there is a door there?

I close doors when I need to. I close a door to keep the cats outs of the kitchen when I have something cooling on the counter, I close the front door when it is too cold for the cats to be on the enclosed porch or when I am not home/sleeping but why would I close my kitchen and bedroom doors for no reason?
    I do, yes. All doors in my house are closed. We have an open kitchen, so no door there, but hallway, toilet, bedrooms, bathroom, all closed. It’s also easier and cheaper to heat when you don’t have to heat rooms you don’t need warm.

Closed because I don't want my cat waking up my housemates.

If I'm working the next day, closed cuz I don't wanna risk my cat !@#$ing with my alarm clock.

Wish I could afford doors.

I like to be able to hear my kids at night (open) but there’s also times we need privacy (sexy time/closed).
    You can leave them open. Chances are after the first time the kid walks in they'll be to traumatized to do it again. Seeing mom rail dad with a large pink strap on could destroy any kids mind.