1. #2461
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Respectable journalism is to make claims, offer no proof and "I know a guy!"
    To protect their sources, yes. If they out their sources, they both will lose them as sources and potentially get them in trouble.

    This isn't new. This is a longstanding journalistic tradition, and led to massive news breaks including the Watergate reporting, which was almost entirely based off of anonymous sourcing. And the journalists in that instance didn't even know the name of their contact. They verified that they were credible which is why the reporting moved forward, but there was no name.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Sorry, as an adult I can't accept such 'journalism'
    Then 90% of the field for investigative journalism is dead to you, because it relies heavily on anonymous sources.

    Again, media cultivate those over long periods of time and they're extremely valuable. If media continually have bad sources, they lose credibility. That's how this works.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Also, saying it's Reuters is giving carte blanche, so they don't have to bother with proof when people like you say "well, if Reuters says so, it must be so!"...
    Yes, because that's the reputation they've built for themselves, and the reputation that keeps them one of the premier news outlets. If they start shoddy reporting with poor sourcing, they're going to lose their status, and as a consequence lose readership (lost revenue) and access to a lot of people/governments.

    Are we really having this fucking anonymous sources discussion again after beating this horse to death during the 2016 Trump campaign?

  2. #2462
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    To protect their sources, yes. If they out their sources, they both will lose them as sources and potentially get them in trouble.

    This isn't new. This is a longstanding journalistic tradition, and led to massive news breaks including the Watergate reporting, which was almost entirely based off of anonymous sourcing. And the journalists in that instance didn't even know the name of their contact. They verified that they were credible which is why the reporting moved forward, but there was no name.



    Then 90% of the field for investigative journalism is dead to you, because it relies heavily on anonymous sources.

    Again, media cultivate those over long periods of time and they're extremely valuable. If media continually have bad sources, they lose credibility. That's how this works.



    Yes, because that's the reputation they've built for themselves, and the reputation that keeps them one of the premier news outlets. If they start shoddy reporting with poor sourcing, they're going to lose their status, and as a consequence lose readership (lost revenue) and access to a lot of people/governments.

    Are we really having this fucking anonymous sources discussion again after beating this horse to death during the 2016 Trump campaign?
    I bolded the key word.

    Verified.

    Where is the verification behind Reuters claims? Ah, you left that part out.

  3. #2463
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    I bolded the key word.

    Verified.

    Where is the verification behind Reuters claims? Ah, you left that part out.
    No Edge didn't. You as an adult, one who constantly surprises that you were able to make a log in let alone button your pants, don't seem to understand the concept of anonymous sources which have been a journalistic standard since the inception of the profession. If you want more direct evidence that's fine, but let's not pretend that anonymous sources magically become invalid because you declare them so.


    Hey guys Watergate wasn't real in the beginning because Deep throat was an anonymous source! You heard it from this guy first.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

  4. #2464
    Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    No Edge didn't. You as an adult, one who constantly surprises that you were able to make a log in let alone button your pants, don't seem to understand the concept of anonymous sources which have been a journalistic standard since the inception of the profession. If you want more direct evidence that's fine, but let's not pretend that anonymous sources magically become invalid because you declare them so.


    Hey guys Watergate wasn't real in the beginning because Deep throat was an anonymous source! You heard it from this guy first.
    So you are saying all un-verified information should blindly be trusted the moment it appears, gotcha

    Have you found those WMDs yet?

  5. #2465
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    I bolded the key word.

    Verified.

    Where is the verification behind Reuters claims? Ah, you left that part out.
    ...what?

    Woodward and Bernstein never publicly verified their source, they independently verified that they were legitimate, but still didn't know his name.

    Reuters similarly has sources that they've verified, and very likely know directly including their name an position within the government, but are protecting their identities to maintain them as sources.

    Again: If Reuters just starts making shit up and making up sources, they start losing that credibility that they've spent decades upon decades building. That's incredibly hard to build and takes a lot of time and effort, and can be destroyed rather quickly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    So you are saying all un-verified information should blindly be trusted the moment it appears, gotcha
    From trusted sources like Reuters that have an established track record of accurate sourcing, yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Have you found those WMDs yet?
    Completely different matter, and a pretty terrible strawman at that.

    The CIA is not a news outlet. The Bush administration is not a news outlet.

  6. #2466
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    So you are saying all un-verified information should blindly be trusted the moment it appears, gotcha

    Have you found those WMDs yet?
    Nope. Not even close actually. But i'm not surprised you thought that's what I said given that you struggle with basic reading comprehension.

    Let's practice with this. See spot run. We'll go from there.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

  7. #2467
    Quote Originally Posted by DocSavageFan View Post
    Democrats Block A Vote To Support Iran Protesters
    https://dailycaller.com/2020/01/14/d...an-protesters/
    TexasRules tried the same thing yesterday, the reason they voted against it, is because they have their own measure they are writing. That will probably have more of an impact than the shit Kevin McCarthy, or should I say Trump's newest colon polyp, just wrote. Considering this fucking moron isn't seeking re-election to work for Trump.

  8. #2468
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    1st, my mistake about the person

    2nd, I'm not from the US.

    3rd, I can't believe the amount of people who reflexively get sand in their genitals when someone points out something might not be in line.

    4th, I'm anti-Trump you moron.
    I've told you guys a hundred times, I don't look at user names or avatars when I post, nor do I remember most of the posters on this forum, so don't look surprised if I don't remember what country you're from or what side of any given debate you're usually on.

    Nor do I care, your argument was fucking idiotic and that has nothing to do with your political persuasion.

    *EDIT* Oh, you weren't even the person I was actually talking to, you just butted in. Well I guess I have nothing to say to you then, except that I'm not afraid of the fucking NSA.
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2020-01-16 at 10:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

  9. #2469
    Warchief DocSavageFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    86th Floor, Empire State Building
    Posts
    2,135
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    No, it's not. They're anonymous sources, which I find ironic to see conservatives using the articles given the years of "ANONYMOUS SOURCES ARE FAKE NEWS!", which are a long-running standard in journalism. They don't publicly reveal the sources, but they know exactly who they are and protect their identities to protect them as a source.

    This is Reuters, an extremely credible news outlet. If they've got insiders giving them info, it's credible. If their sources burn them, they stop being sources that they use, as is standard across all respectable journalism.
    Do you really want to haggle over just how many hundreds of protesters were killed by their government as if a lower number than 1500 is somehow OK...and, as such, Democrats are somehow justified in blocking a bill that condemns Iran's actions?

    Wow...just wow.
    Last edited by DocSavageFan; 2020-01-16 at 02:52 PM.
    "Never get on the bad side of small minded people who have a little power." - Evelyn (Gifted)

  10. #2470
    The Insane Orange Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    001100010010011110100001101101110011
    Posts
    18,192
    Quote Originally Posted by DocSavageFan View Post
    Do you really want to haggle over just how many hundreds of protesters were killed by their government as if a lower number than 1500 is somehow OK...and, as such, Democrats are somehow justified in blocking a bill that condemns Iran's actions?

    Wow...just wow.
    If that makes Iran so horrible. What does that say about the US killing college students?
    I have a fan. Seems he was permabanned.

  11. #2471
    Warchief DocSavageFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    86th Floor, Empire State Building
    Posts
    2,135
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    If that makes Iran so horrible. What does that say about the US killing college students?
    WTF? Are you really saying that the US is as bad or worse than Iran when it coming to killing college students?
    "Never get on the bad side of small minded people who have a little power." - Evelyn (Gifted)

  12. #2472
    The Insane Orange Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    001100010010011110100001101101110011
    Posts
    18,192
    Quote Originally Posted by DocSavageFan View Post
    WTF? Are you really saying that the US is as bad or worse than Iran when it coming to killing college students?
    I'm saying those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
    I have a fan. Seems he was permabanned.

  13. #2473
    The Unstoppable Force CommunismWillWin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Russia that is very communist, da.
    Posts
    24,486
    Quote Originally Posted by DocSavageFan View Post
    WTF? Are you really saying that the US is as bad or worse than Iran when it coming to killing college students?
    It kills more civilians overall, thats for sure.
    Conservatism and its off-shoots are the most rotten idealogies to ever exist in human history.
    Anarcho-communism =/ Stalinism.
    FULLY AUTOMATED GAY LUXURY SPACE COMMUNISM

  14. #2474
    Quote Originally Posted by DocSavageFan View Post
    Do you really want to haggle over just how many hundreds of protesters were killed by their government as if a lower number than 1500 is somehow OK...and, as such, Democrats are somehow justified in blocking a bill that condemns Iran's actions?

    Wow...just wow.
    I'm...not? I'm actually agreeing with you. I have no horse in this race, if Reuters reports 1500 civilians killed during protests I believe them. They've earned my trust.

  15. #2475
    Warchief DocSavageFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    86th Floor, Empire State Building
    Posts
    2,135
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I'm...not? I'm actually agreeing with you. I have no horse in this race, if Reuters reports 1500 civilians killed during protests I believe them. They've earned my trust.
    My bad. I intended to quote Ihavewaffles...not you. Sorry about that!
    "Never get on the bad side of small minded people who have a little power." - Evelyn (Gifted)

  16. #2476
    https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2...strike/162502/

    Welp, apparently there were no deaths, but 11 US military members were injured in the attacks. It appears they weren't life threatening. Now to wonder what the administration response will be.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2020-01-17 at 02:40 AM.

  17. #2477
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2...strike/162502/

    Welp, apparently there were no deaths, but 11 US military members were injured in the attacks. It appears they weren't life threatening. Now to wonder what the administration response will be.
    So there WERE American casualties? Very interesting.

    I guess I could see why they would want to cover that up but still, makes you think.
    "I feel bad for Limit , they put in so many hours only to come in second place" - Methodjosh

  18. #2478
    The Insane Kellhound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Bank of the Columbia
    Posts
    19,299
    Quote Originally Posted by Poe View Post
    So there WERE American casualties? Very interesting.

    I guess I could see why they would want to cover that up but still, makes you think.
    Concussive injuries only, takes time to figure those out.
    Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
    “Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
    "His knowledge on that topic is only power point deep..." "Power corrupts and PowerPoint corrupts absolutely."
    "Who's the more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows him?"

  19. #2479
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Now to wonder what the administration response will be.
    There won't be any response, this chapter is closed.

    US went clearly on top from that one, so no point spoiling the victory with nonsense. Iran, on the other hand, has to deal with its internal turmoil due to the plane downing, which killed plenty of Iran's best and brightest itself AND they now have to deal with Europeans finally putting hammer down. Guess they will just arrest and shoot some protesters for the first one as usual, but second one is going to be much more difficult.

    US does not need to do shit - others will do all the work now.

  20. #2480
    Scarab Lord Noxx79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Kansas. Yes, THAT Kansas.
    Posts
    4,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    There won't be any response, this chapter is closed.

    US went clearly on top from that one, so no point spoiling the victory with nonsense. Iran, on the other hand, has to deal with its internal turmoil due to the plane downing, which killed plenty of Iran's best and brightest itself AND they now have to deal with Europeans finally putting hammer down. Guess they will just arrest and shoot some protesters for the first one as usual, but second one is going to be much more difficult.

    US does not need to do shit - others will do all the work now.
    You forget that trump is president.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •