The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    They're actually not - https://www.king5.com/article/news/v...2-562116b540bf

Got citations including a 9th Circuit ruling on the matter. They get tons of special protections and other rights, but they remain the territory of the home nation.

I thought so until about 5 minutes ago when I started looking into it.
    Interesting - not technically U.S. soil - good catch and interesting find. I'm not going to get into the legal details, but keep in mind, the article is talking about asylum cases and the court case is talking about U.S. legal jurisdiction to bring relief - which makes the matter murky. I'm not saying you're wrong, however, just to be clear. But the details we can hammer out later.

However, that same article points out
    Relevant articles in the text establish that embassies are immune from intrusion, damage or disturbance by the hosting country
    So the violation of law is staggering clear. And in my opinion the response was very appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Chasing people out? Who am I chasing out? I said good riddance to a someone crying about being here and wanting to leave.

Also 'my side'? Establishment Democrats? The implication of me being a Republican and Republicans leeching your tax money is quite funny though. Its always nice to see the hypocrisy of fringe leftists on display as they lambaste people for utilizing welfare state services while simultaneously advocating for drastic expansion of said services and taxes to pay for it.
    Right wing. Period. Establishment democrats are right wing there was little difference between them and republicans in the 90s. And fringe left? Get fucking real mate, what the fuck is fringe about any of my stances? They’re all rather centrist in every country but this one so come the fuck off it.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Most countries that we want respect from will get over it In short order. This will not override our mutual interests.
    You are confusing respect and fear, not surprising though. You probably though the Iraq war was a good idea right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    You do not assassinate state officials in another country.

This kind of escalation is worrisome.
    We assassinated a terrorist who is responsible for killing Americans and would keep killing Americans so long as he was able.

And the US is escalating? Iran has spent years instigating attacks against US forces in the region, shot down a quarter billion dollar unarmed US drone in international airspace, and then stormed a US embassy. We haven't escalated shit, we have (finally) responded to their escalation.

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    So we got to the point that Iran is helped the Taliban and al qaeda.

SO yea, if I needed any more confirmation that the Trump admin is making up shit then this is it.
    And now apparently it wasn’t the Saudis connected to 9/11 even though the administration in September said they made connections between them and a Saudi official. Why aren’t we assassinating Saudis?

Between Trump and any of the dem candidates I'd have to say Sanders has the most compassion for people. The idea that he doesn't care about people dying is completely ridiculous.

We all know, including Trump supporters, that Trump primarily cares about himself. His first thought with any action is "How does this help me?". I guarantee you that's how the airstrike happened. He most likely thinks it will erase impeachment and help him in this election year. He does not care if it gets a lot of people killed as long as he benefits personally.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Interesting - not technically U.S. soil - good catch and interesting find. I'm not going to get into the legal details, but keep in mind, the article is talking about asylum cases and the court case is talking about U.S. legal jurisdiction to bring relief - which makes the matter murky. I'm not saying you're wrong, however, just to be clear. But the details we can hammer out later.

However, that same article points out

So the violation of law is staggering clear. And in my opinion the response was very appropriate.
    They were throwing rocks at the embassy, and no one was hurt, let alone killed. Trump had a very proportional response, actually, on Dec 31st, when he sent Marines in to secure the embassy.

Embassies are often a site of protest against Americans. This is barely a blip in terms of events happening at a U.S. embassy, unless you want to delve into the deep end of unverifiable "who was controlling these protesters" sort of game. And when you do that, you escalate into nonsense.

What I want to know is whether Iraq knew this general was at the airport. Apparently a high-ranking Iraqi general was killed as well? If so, doesn't that imply the two military/political leaders (Soleimini effectively operated as Iran's Foreign Affairs Minister) were meeting to discuss something related to regional security? Unless, of course, the U.S. wants to imply Iraq was.....colluding.......with Iran against the U.S.?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    You do not assassinate state officials in another country.
    Why? They ordered an attack on our Embassy. We killed the guy who gave the order. I can't imagine a more appropriate response.

This kind of escalation is worrisome.
    Agreed.

The General that we killed was the person leading the group that attacked the Embassy. I'm not sure there could have been a better, more proportional response. Keep in mind Embassy's are legally (internationally) the soil of the country, so Iran orchestrated and perpetrated an attack on U.S. soil.
    They damaged some buildings so the "proportional" response is political assassination? That's not proportional at all.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    We assassinated a terrorist who is responsible for killing Americans and would keep killing Americans so long as he was able.

And the US is escalating? Iran has spent years instigating attacks against US forces in the region, shot down a quarter billion dollar unarmed US drone in international airspace, and then stormed a US embassy. We haven't escalated shit, we have (finally) responded to their escalation.
    Perhaps if we didn't pull out of a deal, where we get boots on the ground in Iran to inspect and try to reincorporate them in the world, things would have gone quite well, but no.

The United States broke promise showed it can never keep them and escalated with their sanctions. Frankly my feeling is, "Well what do you expect?"

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    They were throwing rocks at the embassy, and no one was hurt, let alone killed. Trump had a very proportional response, actually, on Dec 31st, when he sent Marines in to secure the embassy.
    So you don't know that this time around they entered the embassy and destroyed part of it? They sacked the U.S. Embassy in Iraq.

Here, read up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    They damaged some buildings so the "proportional" response is political assassination? That's not proportional at all.
    Of course it is. They attacked our embassy. This wasn't rocks at the door, they came in and burned out part of it. And we know who ordered it, and we killed him. Not a tough call at all.

Look, I'm not thrilled at all that this was Trump making the call, ok. But that's not the issue.

Why? They ordered an attack on our Embassy. We killed the guy who gave the order. I can't imagine a more appropriate response.

Agreed.
    A proper response would be sanctions. It is a state, and a state official. This escalation could potentially have been avoided if we didn't stick our relationship in the shitter.

Agreed.
    Given that the VP just blamed Iran for 9/11 I seriously think you should consider this position.

Of course it is. They attacked our embassy. This wasn't rocks at the door, they came in and burned out part of it. And we know who ordered it, and we killed him. Not a tough call at all.

Look, I'm not thrilled at all that this was Trump making the call, ok. But that's not the issue.
    So, by this logic, Iran answering this assassination by killing the person who ordered it would be a reasonable response?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    A proper response would be sanctions. It is a state, and a state official. This escalation could potentially have been avoided if we didn't stick our relationship in the shitter.
    Oh, there is no doubt we (i.e. Trump) fucked this relationship completely. But this incident seems pretty cut and dried to me.

Should I even study at this point guys, I'm expected to graduate in 2 years but I think that's too late.

So you don't know that this time around they entered the embassy and destroyed part of it? They sacked the U.S. Embassy in Iraq.

Here, read up.

- - - Updated - - -

Time to assassinate the Saudis for 9/11, and also it is time for Iran to kill Trump for ordering the assassination of their military leader because this goes both ways.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Given that the VP just blamed Iran for 9/11 I seriously think you should consider this position.
    I can't be responsible for everything the Cheeto and his insane VP do and say - hell, I'm generally opposed to everything they do and stand for. I'd be surprised if either could find Iran on a map.

But the response, in this case, seems very appropriate - at least from what we know so far.

Oh, there is no doubt we (i.e. Trump) fucked this relationship completely. But this incident seems pretty cut and dried to me.
    It isn't cut and dry to me since we were the ones who fucked up. You can't prod and pressure a country to make changes. Then when they make those changes, allows you in, say fuck you bye, and expect things like this not to happen. It is all the fault of the USA and I cannot blame them for attacking the USA we have made ourselves a giant bully who abuses their friends.

Shit like this happens and the thought for me is "well this wouldn't have happened if the USA didn't fuck up..." so a further escalation to what is essentially an all out war declaration, which is how Iran may see it, is bonkers.

Here, read up.

- - - Updated - - -

These photos are from parts of the compound within which the embassy was housed. They did not breach the embassy (IE, get past our security, or "violate our sovereign soil.") It's essentially part of the Green Zone, in which protests have been prevalent for a long ass time.