Page 24 of 124 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    So, by this logic, Iran answering this assassination by killing the person who ordered it would be a reasonable response?
    I'm concerned that my immediate answer was "yes" - only because I'm concerned about certain U.S. laws concerning threats against the Executive. However, the logic is clear.

What precisely is your concern about this incident. Someone ordered and carried out an attack on one of our embassy's. Not rocks outside, but burned inside. We know who did. We killed him.

We didn't kill the foot soldiers - we killed the dumbass who gave the order. And now other dumbasses will think twice about giving a similar order.

I'm as upset about this as you in regards to it being Trump who ordered the assassination. But considering how fast they moved, the intel must have been top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I can't be responsible for everything the Cheeto and his insane VP do and say - hell, I'm generally opposed to everything they do and stand for. I'd be surprised if either could find Iran on a map.

But the response, in this case, seems very appropriate - at least from what we know so far.
    I really don't understand your argument. You know the fallout of this, you know how BAD it could be, yet you think it's the appropriate response?

I'm concerned that my immediate answer was "yes" - only because I'm concerned about certain U.S. laws concerning threats against the Executive. However, the logic is clear.

What precisely is your concern about this incident. Someone ordered and carried out an attack on one of our embassy's. Not rocks outside, but burned inside. We know who did. We killed him.

We didn't kill the foot soldiers - we killed the dumbass who gave the order. And now other dumbasses will think twice about giving a similar order.

I'm as upset about this as you in regards to it being Trump who ordered the assassination. But considering how fast they moved, the intel must have been top notch.
    Because escalating tensions all the way up to political assassinations is fucking insane.

Who benefits from the fallout?
    Serious question...

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    These photos are from parts of the compound within which the embassy was housed. They did not breach the embassy (IE, get past our security, or "violate our sovereign soil.") It's essentially part of the Green Zone, in which protests have been prevalent for a long ass time.
    Have there been attacks like this on our embassy compound by Iranian back militia before?

I can't be responsible for everything the Cheeto and his insane VP do and say - hell, I'm generally opposed to everything they do and stand for. I'd be surprised if either could find Iran on a map.

But the response, in this case, seems very appropriate - at least from what we know so far.
    You are trusting the guy that literality lies about everything, not just the crowed sizes but also the fact that it bloody rained that day. The Trump admin is blaming Iran for everything including the mess in Yemen which is caused SA and it's allies.

If Obama did this I would trust his judgment that this would have been an appropriate response but with Trump it's a different story,

Have there been attacks like this on our embassy compound by Iranian back militia before?
    Nope. But, like I said, these are less serious than many other embassy incidents in other countries where we've irrevocably interfered. It comes with the territory, unfortunately, as a side effect of our endless nation-building.

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    You are trusting the guy that literality lies about everything, not just the crowed sizes but also the fact that it bloody rained that day. The Trump admin is blaming Iran for everything including the mess in Yemen which is caused SA and it's allies.

If Obama did this I would trust his judgment that this would have been an appropriate response but with Trump it's a different story,
    I wouldn't trust Obama if he had done this either. I have a lot of issues with his military actions over his term, but those mostly stem from "American just being America".

10+ Year Old Account
    They were throwing rocks at the embassy, and no one was hurt, let alone killed. Trump had a very proportional response, actually, on Dec 31st, when he sent Marines in to secure the embassy.
    They were doing far more than throwing rocks... And (thankfully) no one was hurt because this particular embassy and everything about its design and protocols are specifically designed with this kind of eventuality (people storming it) in mind and people reacted and got to safety before they got inside.

Embassies are often a site of protest against Americans.
    This wasn't a protest.

This is barely a blip in terms of events happening at a U.S. embassy, unless you want to delve into the deep end of unverifiable "who was controlling these protesters" sort of game. And when you do that, you escalate into nonsense.

"Unverifiable"? They were literally carrying Kata'ib Hezbollah flags as they stormed the embassy... You know, an Iranian-backed militia (that was) led by Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis... Who was killed right along side Soleimani in this strike as they met...

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    I really don't understand your argument. You know the fallout of this, you know how BAD it could be, yet you think it's the appropriate response?
    How many embassy's should we allow to be attacked and burned before we respond?

The argument is pretty straight forward. We knew who attacked us - literally who gave the order. And we killed the person who ordered the attack on us, instead of just bombing another camp and hoping for the best. I find it ideal to be able to punish the people who ordered the attack, rather than the people who just carried it out - if that makes sense.

The fallout is going to be unpredictable and [choose another word].

Do I wish they hadn't attacked our embassy? Of course. But they did.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    "Unverifiable"? They were literally carrying Kata'ib Hezbollah flags as they stormed the embassy... You know, an Iranian-backed militia (that was) led by Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis... Who was killed right along side Soleimani in this strike as they met...
    That had to be why they moved so quickly. The two of them meeting together.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope. But, like I said, these are less serious than many other embassy incidents in other countries where we've irrevocably interfered. It comes with the territory, unfortunately, as a side effect of our endless nation-building.
    And so do attacks against our Embassy. We cannot allow events like this to transpire without repercussions.
    Last edited by cubby; 2020-01-03 at 09:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Who benefits from the fallout?
    Serious question...
    China, Russia in some ways even Iran because it solidifies their hold on the populace by giving them a widely popular martyr and justification to greatly escalate their nuclear arms program.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post

That's probably my biggest concern about the incident. That we have to trust, at least at some level, Trump. But we also have the DoD behind this, and the Intelligence services as well. And those people are far and away for the most part professionals. For this to happen so quickly, and so decisively, it had to have been crystal clear.

But I really hear what you're saying about Trump and his lies.

The argument is pretty straight forward. We knew who attacked us - literally who gave the order. And we killed the person who ordered the attack on us.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

And so do attacks against our Embassy. We cannot allow events like this to transpire without repercussions.
    Again you know the potential fallout of this. So are you some war hawk? That's the only people i see defending this. And trump supporters which i know you're not.

The argument is pretty straight forward. We knew who attacked us - literally who gave the order. And we killed the person who ordered the attack on us, instead of just bombing another camp and hoping for the best. I find it ideal to be able to punish the people who ordered the attack, rather than the people who just carried it out - if that makes sense.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

The proper response is to either build the relationship or leave. This response says crush them under our boot and obey.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    I wouldn't trust Obama if he had done this either. I have a lot of issues with his military actions over his term, but those mostly stem from "American just being America".
    Obama took military actions in situations I believe that had no good choices but military action was never his first choice. That's why he was accused of being weak and leading from behind, he thought things through.

That's probably my biggest concern about the incident. That we have to trust, at least at some level, Trump. But we also have the DoD behind this, and the Intelligence services as well. And those people are far and away for the most part professionals. For this to happen so quickly, and so decisively, it had to have been crystal clear.

But I really hear what you're saying about Trump and his lies.
    Did it have to be clear? The reporting and statements suggest that this was done on Trumps orders without thinking things through.

Quote Originally Posted by Poe View Post
    Iran probably won't even retaliate lol . I bet nothing serious happens this month.
    If someone killed Mike Pence while overseas the US wouldn't retaliate?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Yeah, Indiana would probably throw a party.
    Putin khuliyo

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Again you know the potential fallout of this. So are you some war hawk? That's the only people i see defending this. And trump supporters which i know you're not.
    I do. I'm not. And thank you for that.

The potential fallout is huge. And it's certainly a major consideration. But do we just let country's attack us, over and over again, with no response, while we worry about the fallout? I'm not trying to discount your point - I think it's the most important issue. But we have to take a stand at some point. In my opinion this incident, the attack on the embassy and the assassination of the General, was cut and dry.

Will Iran try an escalate? More than likely. But did they need a reason to do it? Not really - they would have just made one up and done what they want regardless. This retaliation might actually get them to slow down and reconsider. I mean, if you were an Iranian General right now, would you order an attack on the United States?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    The proper response is to either build the relationship or leave. This response says crush them under our boot and obey.
    I disagree.

This response says don't order an attack on our Embassy or we'll kill you.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Lol. And that's the point others have been making. The fallout and Iranian response is worrisome. Closing the Straight would be my guess, just to start.

Interesting if that happened. IIRC, it takes a vote of the House and Senate to confirm a new VP. Pelosi would be next in line until the 2020 election.