Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Imagine actually believing this.

They were just protesting the oppressive Iranian regime en mass and being killed by them to the tune of at least hundreds, some speculate north of one-two thousand... And now you think they are all 100% united in favor of that oppressive regime because a high ranking member of said oppressive regime was killed?

And you believe this based on what? Literal propaganda videos released by the government of Iran?
    I fail to see whwre I said 100% and an external existential crisis tends to bring people together and the Iraq Iran relationship has found solidarity here as he was a big figure for both. Remember that these people are Shia Muslims surrounded by Sunnis who want them gone. Are you confused or lost as to how a popular figure being assassinated, liked by a large number of people can unite people under hate for those who killed them?

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Who gives a shit about what terrorists think of anything. Terrorists should live in fear of what western countries will do to them if they start getting any ideas.

Personally I don't think cultural sites should have any special protection, but I guess it should be avoided if you are party to conventions or agreements that forbid it.
    People aren't born terrorists but killing and/or maiming their friends, family, neighbours and countrymen may persuade them that terrorism is the only way to fight back.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Odd..targeting cultural sites, did he get the idea from a movie?...
    Probably taking ideas from the ISIS play-book.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    So in the same post you stick it to terrorists, and then suggest doing the same thing they do.
    If only Trump and ISIS supporters could get together and bond over their mutual love of petty violence and destruction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    I fail to see whwre I said 100% and an external existential crisis tends to bring people together and the Iraq Iran relationship has found solidarity here as he was a big figure for both. Remember that these people are Shia Muslims surrounded by Sunnis who want them gone. Are you confused or lost as to how a popular figure being assassinated, liked by a large number of people can unite people under hate for those who killed them?
    Indeed.

Meanwhile, from actual Iranians:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...ing-soleimani/

Quote Originally Posted by Washington Post; Masih Alinejad
    Over the next few days, it will be hard to escape footage of huge crowds gathering in Iranian cities to mourn the death of Qasem Soleimani, the Iranian general killed by a U.S. drone strike. For anyone watching, I have one piece of advice: Don’t take what you’re seeing at face value.

This past November, thousands of Iranians took to the streets across the country to protest against the regime, in the biggest challenge to the clerical rule in 40 years. According to Reuters, more than 1,500 people were killed by security forces, including units of Soleimani’s Revolutionary Guard, and at least 7,000 have been arrested. The Internet was shut down for five days. Tehran has yet to release official figures of its own, which suggests the death toll may have been even higher.

The protesters had harsh words for Soleimani and his foreign adventures, chanting against Iran’s involvement in Syria and its support of Hezbollah. That came as a shock to the regime, which portrays Soleimani as Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei’s adopted son.

Of course, people across the political divide are concerned about war. Nobody wants President Trump to bomb Iran’s cultural or historical sites as he threatened in a tweet on Saturday. I myself denounced the tweet on Fox News on Sunday.

But what to make of the crowds of flag-waving mourners streaming across TV screens? Without doubt, Soleimani had support among hard-liners and regime loyalists. The regime is not taking any chances, though. In the city of Ahvaz, where large numbers of people turned out to mourn Soleimani, the government has forced students and officials to attend. It provided free transport and ordered shops to shut down. According to videos sent to me by people inside the country, the authorities are making little kids write essays praising the fallen commander. First-graders who didn’t know how to write were encouraged to cry for Soleimani.

Some Iranians have compared the funeral services for Soleimani to those held for the Nazi leader Reinhard Heydrich, the Butcher of Prague, killed by Allied agents during World War II.

Soleimani was not a benign official. In 1999, he was among the Revolutionary Guard leaders who demanded that then-President Mohammad Khatami crush university student demonstrations or face the consequences. Current Supreme Leader Khamenei praised Soleimani for his staunch defense of Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad, who has killed hundreds of thousands of his own people. Few Syrians are mourning him.

The media in the Islamic Republic is heavily controlled. Public gatherings are allowed only if they are pro-regime. Critics are jailed or shot. (Even I, living outside the country, have received a death threat on Iranian national TV for my coverage of Soleimani’s killing.) So it’s not hard to use all the tools and resources of the state to stage a funeral procession.

I have more than 4 million followers on various social media networks, and I have received thousands of messages, voice mails and videos from Iranians in cities such as Shiraz, Isfahan, Tehran and even Ahvaz, who are happy about Soleimani’s death. Some complain of the pressure to attend services for him.

There are many Iranian voices who think Soleimani was a war criminal, but Western journalists rarely reach out to them. Ironically, the Western media is more skeptical of such state-organized events in other countries, such as Russia or North Korea, but seems to leave its critical sense at the border when it comes to the Islamic Republic. While it’s true that Western correspondents face daunting conditions when it comes to reporting the truth from Iran, that shouldn’t excuse the many times they’ve shown unwarranted gullibility toward the official version of events.

Remember all the articles that predicted how Iranians were going to unite in resistance to President Trump’s sanctions? The same analysts who missed November’s protests are now predicting Iranians will rally around the flag.

This sorely underestimates the anger and resentment over the crackdown. The authorities forced many families to pay blood money in order to receive the body of their loved ones from the morgue. Some even had to sign official forms waiving the right to hold a public funeral as a condition of getting bodies returned.

Two weeks ago, the parents and nine other family members of Pouya Bakhtiari, a 27-year-old engineer who was killed during the protests, were arrested to stop them from having funeral services. Two days later, on Dec. 26, thousands of security forces using armored cars, water cannons and even helicopters were deployed to stop mourning ceremonies for some of the victims.

These families of those killed are not mourning Soleimani. In 2009, the Revolutionary Guards led the crackdown on the so-called Green Movement protests against the disputed presidential election. Many of the mothers of those killed in 2009, in 2017 and in 2019 are rejoicing about Soleimani’s death. How do I know? Because they’ve sent me videos of themselves, speaking to the camera, dancing, or even sharing cakes and sweets.

I and others have been saying for years that the current repressive conditions in the country are not tenable and that more protests would break out. We were right. And I’ll say it again: Don’t be fooled. Iran will see more anti-regime protests.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    I thought they were going to unite against us the hundred other times people shouted death to America over us bombing them. If killing thousands of civilians didn't turn them, why is this one going to do it?

Indeed.

I have no doubt that there is allot of propaganda coming out of Iran now but also the opposite propaganda coming out of the opponents of the Irani government. which is why the whole argument in how popular this guy really the chickenhawks like to start just a weird distraction for an act that the US government had to lie about the reasoning.

If the U.S. decides to bomb Iranian cultural sites and decrees its action legitimate no outside power is capable of deeming otherwise and holding it accountable.

Much like with this drone strike and the countless other drone strikes. Its almost as if people forget about American exceptionalism and how grim it is. You can see advocates of supremacy in this thread not even arguing but stating it. These are cowards without morals, do not be fooled into giving them legitimacy on this issue or frankly any other topic. When people tell you what they are, believe them.

so now the pentagon has walked back the letter that was released saying the US is withdrawing from iraq.

they are flailing around without a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    People aren't born terrorists but killing and/or maiming their friends, family, neighbours and countrymen may persuade them that terrorism is the only way to fight back.

- - - Updated - - -

Probably taking ideas from the ISIS play-book.

- - - Updated - - -

If only Trump and ISIS supporters could get together and bond over their mutual love of petty violence and destruction.
    One mans freedom fighter is another mans terrorist. I’m sure the British viewed the Americans in the same perspective in 1775

The US is now blocking Irans Foreign Minister from attenting the UN.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-i...-idUSKBN1Z605T

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotuthan View Post
    The US is now blocking Irans Foreign Minister from attenting the UN.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-i...-idUSKBN1Z605T
    Eh... goodbye diplomacy?
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    One mans freedom fighter is another mans terrorist. I’m sure the British viewed the Americans in the same perspective in 1775
    Americans were terrorist though... taking over a ship destroying it and putting the crown further into debt. While refusing to pay taxes when everyone else did... while attacking any British loyal. Sons of liberty were literally a terror group.

Quote Originally Posted by big gunna View Post
    Poor little british empire, destroyed by the U.S after WW2. Haha.

globalresearch.ca/save-queen/5693500
    You're links aren't working but post-WW2 the British Empire was quite capable of collapsing under its own weight without any help.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    You're links aren't working but post-WW2 the British Empire was quite capable of collapsing under its own weight without any help.
    Just copy the link and post the URL in the browser. It comes up.

Dhrizzle copy the link and paste it in browser. It shows up for me.

Indeed.

I was seeing this yesterday as well. Iran is very heavy-handed with state critics, I can't imagine them not exercising the same obsessive control over the national funeral.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    If the U.S. decides to bomb Iranian cultural sites and decrees its action legitimate no outside power is capable of deeming otherwise and holding it accountable.

Much like with this drone strike and the countless other drone strikes. Its almost as if people forget about American exceptionalism and how grim it is. You can see advocates of supremacy in this thread not even arguing but stating it. These are cowards without morals, do not be fooled into giving them legitimacy on this issue or frankly any other topic. When people tell you what they are, believe them.
    I'm glad the US is the main world superpower. I can't imagine the hellscape that would ensue if that title belonged to many other countries I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    I was seeing this yesterday as well. Iran is very heavy-handed with state critics, I can't imagine them not exercising the same obsessive control over the national funeral.
    Meanwhile: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/f...gency-n1111651

There was such a rush for the funeral there was a stampede that killed dozens and injured many more. But I guess it's all people who are forced to be there by the state and there's no actual support or anything.

This is some odd rationalization.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

There was such a rush for the funeral there was a stampede that killed dozens and injured many more. But I guess it's all people who are forced to be there by the state and there's no actual support or anything.

I don't see how a stampede occuring debunks anything. If any large crowd panics, for whatever reason, that can happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was unsure who this person was but after reading about him all I have to say is good riddance. Also, don't believe all the Iranian propaganda.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    I don't see how a stampede occuring debunks anything. If any large crowd panics, for whatever reason, that can happen.
    Even before the deaths, Soleimani's funeral procession was an hourslong and deeply emotional event. It was the latest mass outpouring of anger and grief across the country after the U.S. drone strike that killed Soleimani and others near Baghdad airport in neighboring Iraq.

On Monday hundreds of thousands of mourners turned out for a similar procession in the capital, Tehran.

Iranian officials have vowed to avenge Soleimani, who was head of the Quds Force, an elite unit of its Revolutionary Guard.
    Yeah, I guess Iran just forgot to install blinders on all the mourners and they were spooked by an umbrella. Because they're horses or something.

What leads you to believe that they were panicked?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

How does stampeding counter the idea people were coerced/intimidated into showing up?