10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    An incident that perfectly mirrors the recent incident. How dare anyone compare the two!
    While the outcome was the same, the situations leading up to them were different. So mirror yes, perfect no.

so after claiming that american embassies were under imminent threat from iran, the trump administration has canceled two classified briefings (that are required by law) to explain the threat to said embassies.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill...-on-iran%3famp

Herald of the Titans DocSavageFan's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Where do you get those mythical 1500 dead?
    Reuters
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-i...-idUSKBN1YR0QR
    "Never get on the bad side of small minded people who have a little power." - Evelyn (Gifted)

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DocSavageFan View Post
    Oh, Reuters have 3 iranian insiders at the highest places of power in that fundamentalist country that are really...uh.....

this is journalism version of "I know a guy"... basically they can make any shit up n claim they 'know a guy' n u believe it?

Oh, Reuters have 3 iranian insiders at the highest places of power in that fundamentalist country that are really...uh.....

this is journalism version of "I know a guy"... basically they can make any shit up n claim they 'know a guy' n u believe it?
    No, it's not. They're anonymous sources, which I find ironic to see conservatives using the articles given the years of "ANONYMOUS SOURCES ARE FAKE NEWS!", which are a long-running standard in journalism. They don't publicly reveal the sources, but they know exactly who they are and protect their identities to protect them as a source.

This is Reuters, an extremely credible news outlet. If they've got insiders giving them info, it's credible. If their sources burn them, they stop being sources that they use, as is standard across all respectable journalism.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    No, it's not. They're anonymous sources, which I find ironic to see conservatives using the articles given the years of "ANONYMOUS SOURCES ARE FAKE NEWS!", which are a long-running standard in journalism. They don't publicly reveal the sources, but they know exactly who they are and protect their identities to protect them as a source.

This is Reuters, an extremely credible news outlet. If they've got insiders giving them info, it's credible. If their sources burn them, they stop being sources that they use, as is standard across all respectable journalism.
    Respectable journalism is to make claims, offer no proof and "I know a guy!"

Sorry, as an adult I can't accept such 'journalism'...it's one thing if they can prove what they claim is true n hide their sources, but just to make claims n offer nothing else? Also, saying it's Reuters is giving carte blanche, so they don't have to bother with proof when people like you say "well, if Reuters says so, it must be so!"...

Yes, it's a shame when people refuse to condemn murderous regimes and tyrants, right?

I'm glad you were also outraged when Trump befriended murderous regimes like Russia, Saudi Arabia, and North Korea. I'm sure you were also up in arms when the GOP shut down calls to condemn the Armenian Genocide. Your consistency is admirable.
    Last edited by Machismo; 2020-01-15 at 10:30 PM.

Respectable journalism is to make claims, offer no proof and "I know a guy!"
    To protect their sources, yes. If they out their sources, they both will lose them as sources and potentially get them in trouble.

This isn't new. This is a longstanding journalistic tradition, and led to massive news breaks including the Watergate reporting, which was almost entirely based off of anonymous sourcing. And the journalists in that instance didn't even know the name of their contact. They verified that they were credible which is why the reporting moved forward, but there was no name.

Sorry, as an adult I can't accept such 'journalism'
    Then 90% of the field for investigative journalism is dead to you, because it relies heavily on anonymous sources.

Again, media cultivate those over long periods of time and they're extremely valuable. If media continually have bad sources, they lose credibility. That's how this works.

Also, saying it's Reuters is giving carte blanche, so they don't have to bother with proof when people like you say "well, if Reuters says so, it must be so!"...
    Yes, because that's the reputation they've built for themselves, and the reputation that keeps them one of the premier news outlets. If they start shoddy reporting with poor sourcing, they're going to lose their status, and as a consequence lose readership (lost revenue) and access to a lot of people/governments.

Are we really having this fucking anonymous sources discussion again after beating this horse to death during the 2016 Trump campaign?

5+ Year Old Account
    To protect their sources, yes. If they out their sources, they both will lose them as sources and potentially get them in trouble.

This isn't new. This is a longstanding journalistic tradition, and led to massive news breaks including the Watergate reporting, which was almost entirely based off of anonymous sourcing. And the journalists in that instance didn't even know the name of their contact. They verified that they were credible which is why the reporting moved forward, but there was no name.

Then 90% of the field for investigative journalism is dead to you, because it relies heavily on anonymous sources.

Again, media cultivate those over long periods of time and they're extremely valuable. If media continually have bad sources, they lose credibility. That's how this works.

Yes, because that's the reputation they've built for themselves, and the reputation that keeps them one of the premier news outlets. If they start shoddy reporting with poor sourcing, they're going to lose their status, and as a consequence lose readership (lost revenue) and access to a lot of people/governments.

Are we really having this fucking anonymous sources discussion again after beating this horse to death during the 2016 Trump campaign?
    I bolded the key word.

Verified.

Where is the verification behind Reuters claims? Ah, you left that part out.

I bolded the key word.

Verified.

No Edge didn't. You as an adult, one who constantly surprises that you were able to make a log in let alone button your pants, don't seem to understand the concept of anonymous sources which have been a journalistic standard since the inception of the profession. If you want more direct evidence that's fine, but let's not pretend that anonymous sources magically become invalid because you declare them so.

Hey guys Watergate wasn't real in the beginning because Deep throat was an anonymous source! You heard it from this guy first.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    No Edge didn't. You as an adult, one who constantly surprises that you were able to make a log in let alone button your pants, don't seem to understand the concept of anonymous sources which have been a journalistic standard since the inception of the profession. If you want more direct evidence that's fine, but let's not pretend that anonymous sources magically become invalid because you declare them so.

Hey guys Watergate wasn't real in the beginning because Deep throat was an anonymous source! You heard it from this guy first.
    So you are saying all un-verified information should blindly be trusted the moment it appears, gotcha

Have you found those WMDs yet?

I bolded the key word.

Verified.

...what?

Woodward and Bernstein never publicly verified their source, they independently verified that they were legitimate, but still didn't know his name.

Reuters similarly has sources that they've verified, and very likely know directly including their name an position within the government, but are protecting their identities to maintain them as sources.

Again: If Reuters just starts making shit up and making up sources, they start losing that credibility that they've spent decades upon decades building. That's incredibly hard to build and takes a lot of time and effort, and can be destroyed rather quickly.

So you are saying all un-verified information should blindly be trusted the moment it appears, gotcha
    From trusted sources like Reuters that have an established track record of accurate sourcing, yes.

Completely different matter, and a pretty terrible strawman at that.

The CIA is not a news outlet. The Bush administration is not a news outlet.

Nope. Not even close actually. But i'm not surprised you thought that's what I said given that you struggle with basic reading comprehension.

Let's practice with this. See spot run. We'll go from there.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Democrats Block A Vote To Support Iran Protesters
    https://dailycaller.com/2020/01/14/d...an-protesters/
    TexasRules tried the same thing yesterday, the reason they voted against it, is because they have their own measure they are writing. That will probably have more of an impact than the shit Kevin McCarthy, or should I say Trump's newest colon polyp, just wrote. Considering this fucking moron isn't seeking re-election to work for Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    1st, my mistake about the person

2nd, I'm not from the US.

3rd, I can't believe the amount of people who reflexively get sand in their genitals when someone points out something might not be in line.

4th, I'm anti-Trump you moron.
    I've told you guys a hundred times, I don't look at user names or avatars when I post, nor do I remember most of the posters on this forum, so don't look surprised if I don't remember what country you're from or what side of any given debate you're usually on.

Nor do I care, your argument was fucking idiotic and that has nothing to do with your political persuasion.

*EDIT* Oh, you weren't even the person I was actually talking to, you just butted in. Well I guess I have nothing to say to you then, except that I'm not afraid of the fucking NSA.
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2020-01-16 at 10:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

7+ Year Old Account

Do you really want to haggle over just how many hundreds of protesters were killed by their government as if a lower number than 1500 is somehow OK...and, as such, Democrats are somehow justified in blocking a bill that condemns Iran's actions?

Wow...just wow.
    Last edited by DocSavageFan; 2020-01-16 at 02:52 PM.
    "Never get on the bad side of small minded people who have a little power." - Evelyn (Gifted)

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Do you really want to haggle over just how many hundreds of protesters were killed by their government as if a lower number than 1500 is somehow OK...and, as such, Democrats are somehow justified in blocking a bill that condemns Iran's actions?

Wow...just wow.
    If that makes Iran so horrible. What does that say about the US killing college students?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    If that makes Iran so horrible. What does that say about the US killing college students?
    WTF? Are you really saying that the US is as bad or worse than Iran when it coming to killing college students?

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    WTF? Are you really saying that the US is as bad or worse than Iran when it coming to killing college students?
    I'm saying those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    It kills more civilians overall, thats for sure.