Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Question What are the greatest mistakes we (the Faction Champion) have made?

Lorewise, we exist.

I know our actions are often rationalized as "Lore character was defeated/assisted by a group of heroes" or champions or whatever, but the fact is... we exist. And we have had genuine lore-effecting effects on the world, with actual consequences.

But I'm not talking about "We slayed this dragon, saving the zone" or "we slayed this mechagnome, saving all life on Azeroth". I'm talking about the negative effects. I'm talking about the screw-ups, minor and monumental. What are some of the worst mistaked made by the Horde/Alliance "champion"?

The biggest/most obvious one I can think of was the freeing of Gul'dan & Cho'Gall at the AU Dark Portal. There were so many ways to repell the incoming Iron Horde invasion, but we made a split-second decision to precision strike the two batteries keeping the Red Dark Portal open: the imprisoned Gul'Dan & Cho'Gall. For all their power, both had been successfully taken down and placed into submission by Grom Hellscream and we let them loose, sparking a chain of events that would lead to The Broken Shore and the 4th war.

One could argue that "everything turned out for the best", but we still saw a decrepit old orc and a two-headed ogre writhing in bondage, and we let them loose and cheerily waved them goodbye as they fled into portals. But hey, we closed the dark portal and stopped some iron-clad orcs from spilling into The Blasted Lands. That's the important thing! What's the worst that can happen?

Even small ones are fine, like killing Oregorger in Blackrock Foundry. He seemed to be performing a community service, and killing him and his brood seemed to serve no purpose, and in fact actively distracted us from why we were in the foundry in the first place, giving our actual target ample time to rally defensive forces and endanger our entire mission in that place. We took a wrong turn in Blackrock Foundry, and instead of coming to a dead end and turning back around, our faction's "General" (our rank at the time) decided to moronically endanger everyone's lives by eliminating something sabotaging our enemy.

Any other "brilliant" decisions on the part of Azeroth's "champion"?

In TBC we "killed" Illidan but turns out he was good guy all along

Everything about the stitches questline... also it's slew not slayed in past tense, don't hate me plz

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Seeing how story turned out after MoP, not overdosing on brew was our biggest mistake.

Im still hoping that blizzard will retcon everything from WoD onward and say we were under the table in some pandaren bar all that time.

On more serious note, not dismembering, burning and making sure their soul vanished to all people we kill. No more setbacks.

Turned against Garrosh. Single worst decision.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kel'Thuzad's phylactery

Just pure dumb and greed after all the events of the Plaguelands

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Seeing how story turned out after MoP, not overdosing on brew was our biggest mistake.

Im still hoping that blizzard will retcon everything from WoD onward and say we were under the table in some pandaren bar all that time.

On more serious note, not dismembering, burning and making sure their soul vanished to all people we kill. No more setbacks.
    Pretty much this. We shouldn't have freed Gul'dan and Cho'gall. We should have murdered them where they floated transfixed. Would have still destroyed the AU dark portal and then most of WoD would never have happened and we would have killed AU Grom as we should have!
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    We brought the Heart of Azeroth to Queen Azshara - similar to how the Dragon Soul was once used by the Old Gods.

We brought Xal'atath to N'Zoth, freeing the entity in the blade and allowing Sylvanas to bargain with the Naga Empress.

We went through the Fel Breach to help Velen face Kil'jaeden in his yatch, which ended with the Illidan oppening that gigantic portal to Argus, which allowed Sargeras to come to Azeroth and almost destroy it. The Burning Crusade is over, sure, but if we simply sealed the Tomb of Sargeras the Burning Legion would've instead come another time in the future, and Azeroth wouldn't be on the verge of death.

Not sure they are "mistakes" tho. Decisions are decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Heffladin View Post
    Everything about the stitches questline... also it's slew not slayed in past tense, don't hate me plz
    slayed is acceptable past tense for slay.

Slew is like adding the "u" in color or armor.

English is a fucked language when we cross the ocean.

edit:

honestly... the worst thing the player character does by now is stick with their faction. Both have done a lot of bullshit or ignored shit to a pointless degree. Like any sane party would take a moment and just back off and stop associating with the factions in general.
    Last edited by mickybrighteyes; 2020-01-04 at 12:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Letting our faction leaders live for so long. We should have butchered the likes of Anduin, Baine, Thrall and the rest and proclaimed ourselves living gods back when we had artifacts.

Runner up is wasting our artifact power saving this shitthole of a world.

definitely releasing the shadow council.

they were right there, immobilized. we could have pin-cushioned them without any retaliation from anyone around. they even could have made it make sense, by saying gul'dan and teron'gor had soulstones prepared and came back that way.

nothing about freeing them makes any sense what-so-ever. even if there was no way to kill them in their suspension, leaving the goddamned portal open would have been a better outcome than freeing gul'dan.

Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    We brought the Heart of Azeroth to Queen Azshara - similar to how the Dragon Soul was once used by the Old Gods.

We brought Xal'atath to N'Zoth, freeing the entity in the blade and allowing Sylvanas to bargain with the Naga Empress.

We went through the Fel Breach to help Velen face Kil'jaeden in his yatch, which ended with the Illidan oppening that gigantic portal to Argus, which allowed Sargeras to come to Azeroth and almost destroy it. The Burning Crusade is over, sure, but if we simply sealed the Tomb of Sargeras the Burning Legion would've instead come another time in the future, and Azeroth wouldn't be on the verge of death.

Not sure they are "mistakes" tho. Decisions are decisions.
    Sargeras was already here though. His physical form was destroyed by Aegwynn, Medivh's mother, during her tenure as the Guardian. Since then his spirit has been floating around Azeroth and is only made manifest when the Pantheon sucks him out to the seat. So yeah, they made him manifest and if they hadn't we wouldn't have a big ass sword sticking out of the planet but he didn't come over from Argus.

As for mistakes we've made, well other than questing like big dummies and totally willing to do whatever for whomever wants to give us 3g11s and a new pair of boots?

Probably dredging up the "evil" artifact weapons. Xal'Atoth to be certain but also Strom'Kar, all the DK weapons, the holy hammer for paladins. I mean as far as I know we still haven't faced down all the evils released from unsealing Tyr's fall. So those things can all be set up as possibly big screw ups.

Not killing Garrosh to instead put him on trial, which has resulted in Thrall forgetting how to Shaman because he's now out of balance and thinks the elements don't like him. Not to mention all the crap in WoD. That's another biggie.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    continuing the faction war

/thread

Being faction champions.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    Not killing Garrosh to instead put him on trial, which has resulted in Thrall forgetting how to Shaman because he's now out of balance and thinks the elements don't like him. Not to mention all the crap in WoD. That's another biggie.
    That wasn't our call, though.

Not sticking to the neutrality that order halls established. I.e. fuck the whole faction thing for the PC post-legion playthrough.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    Sargeras was already here though. His physical form was destroyed by Aegwynn, Medivh's mother, during her tenure as the Guardian. Since then his spirit has been floating around Azeroth and is only made manifest when the Pantheon sucks him out to the seat. So yeah, they made him manifest and if they hadn't we wouldn't have a big ass sword sticking out of the planet but he didn't come over from Argus.
    Sargeras was not there. Once Medivh was stabbed in the chest, Sargeras' spirit was forced out of him and banished to the depths of the Twisting Nether.

He came to Azeroth through the portal connecting us to Argus. He was not floating around Azeroth.

As others said: the whole faction war thing, we should never have taken part in it

Leaving the pillars of creation in the tomb of sargeras has to be up there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thottstation View Post
    Lorewise, we exist.

I know our actions are often rationalized as "Lore character was defeated/assisted by a group of heroes" or champions or whatever, but the fact is... we exist. And we have had genuine lore-effecting effects on the world, with actual consequences.

But I'm not talking about "We slayed this dragon, saving the zone" or "we slayed this mechagnome, saving all life on Azeroth". I'm talking about the negative effects. I'm talking about the screw-ups, minor and monumental. What are some of the worst mistaked made by the Horde/Alliance "champion"?

The biggest/most obvious one I can think of was the freeing of Gul'dan & Cho'Gall at the AU Dark Portal. There were so many ways to repell the incoming Iron Horde invasion, but we made a split-second decision to precision strike the two batteries keeping the Red Dark Portal open: the imprisoned Gul'Dan & Cho'Gall. For all their power, both had been successfully taken down and placed into submission by Grom Hellscream and we let them loose, sparking a chain of events that would lead to The Broken Shore and the 4th war.

One could argue that "everything turned out for the best", but we still saw a decrepit old orc and a two-headed ogre writhing in bondage, and we let them loose and cheerily waved them goodbye as they fled into portals. But hey, we closed the dark portal and stopped some iron-clad orcs from spilling into The Blasted Lands. That's the important thing! What's the worst that can happen?

Even small ones are fine, like killing Oregorger in Blackrock Foundry. He seemed to be performing a community service, and killing him and his brood seemed to serve no purpose, and in fact actively distracted us from why we were in the foundry in the first place, giving our actual target ample time to rally defensive forces and endanger our entire mission in that place. We took a wrong turn in Blackrock Foundry, and instead of coming to a dead end and turning back around, our faction's "General" (our rank at the time) decided to moronically endanger everyone's lives by eliminating something sabotaging our enemy.

Any other "brilliant" decisions on the part of Azeroth's "champion"?
    Well we waddled into Eternal Palace just like Azshara wanted, and freed N'zoth just like she wanted, so I'd say that. And on top of that, we help her escape in N'zoth's raid in spite of everything she has done. Puppets indeed!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bmjclark View Post
    Leaving the pillars of creation in the tomb of sargeras has to be up there.
    Also, this.
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2020-01-04 at 02:42 AM.