Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The wisest words my father told me were "Don't say no when asked to do something you don't want to do. Accept it and do a bad job. That way you are never asked again but still look like a team player."

This is how i feel they did housing and garrisons.

I'm all in for Housing, but they have to bring something functionally useful, otherwise they're just wasted development time and Blizz won't do that.

I don't see what could be done with Housing in WoW, beyond a physical place where you put decorations on the wall, have your Pets wandering around or a Transmog attached to the wall.
    Maybe a Guild Housing instead of a personal one, with some specific features inside (like the Guild Bank, a Trophies room) ?

As with everything that doesn't happen, it's because of players who have a limited understanding of what goes on around them.
    In this case, because those players can't figure what was wrong with garrisons and how housing could actually work. So it's probably because Blizz fears investing into a feature and getting negative feedback. Did you notice - Blizz doesn't really make optional features (pets maybe), they have to center everything around every new feature and make it somehow mandatory to pve progress.

This, of course, it's just a supposition - maybe they figure it isn't worth the costs to implement this feature. But yeah, I agree, whatever the case may be it's really hard to believe they couldn't dish out a system like Wildstar's (which is one of the best I've seen so far house-wise).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bosen View Post
    I don't see the value in it. Why would it be worth the development time over cooler things Blizzard could do,like new dungeons,battlegrounds,new races?
    It's not for everyone, of course. It's hard to explain it to someone who doesn't get the value of it. It's a type of "end goal".
    For example, killing the last boss on X difficulty in a raid is your end goal. For that, you do a number of activities - you may do weekly M+, may do Islands for the neck, may do activities for essences and so on. Without that goal, you may not bother.
    With houses, it's a bit of the same - you have a house. To furnish it, you'll participate in activities - for example do professions, go to different dungeons for drops. Making a house that fits your character also adds to the RPG and immersion. I spend a lot of time building in games where I have houses - creating steps and levels, creating furniture out of different objects and so on. It's fun - it's something I like added to a game I already play for other reasons.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    huge portion of the Dev team on?
    Who says it's huge? I recall the housing team from Wildstar was very small and it's one of the best systems I've seen (better than Rift's and FF14's).
    Assets are already created, there's no need for new ones. Every expansion they make new assets to decorate the places, the level of detail in some is astonishing (some houses even have sinks) - they can just make it available for us.

This could also be a self-sustained feature if it's that much of an issue - like sell houses on the shop or other furniture, every other MMO does it. And since it's all cosmetic, there isn't really all that many people against it.

Blizz said they did garrisons as an attempt to step into housing. We know how that went, so they threw off the idea as a whole.

Play the sims if you want a house, nerds.

WoW is for fight.

Because it's a waste of development time.

Quote Originally Posted by Spotnick View Post
    "for some reason".. you realize the more stuff they add that works over more than one xpac, the more they need to maintain it and it means adding stuff every xpac to it, hence xpac takes more and more time to do because you have to add pet battles and archeology and more achievements all over the place because they decided to implement those at one point.

That's why they went the "xpac feature way".. and we should be happy warfronts and island expeditions will be gone.
    Thats the good part about player housing. They add new content to it naturally as they create new set pieces for normal content. Its one of the easiest to maintain features in any MMO period. Its why its been a standard of MMO for over a decade now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastreus View Post
    Blizz said they did garrisons as an attempt to step into housing. We know how that went, so they threw off the idea as a whole.
    Garrisons was not player housing. Garrisons was them saying they were doing player housing, and then not having a single standard of player housing.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

I honestly can't think of anything the game needs less than housing.

Go hang out in your garrison

You already got WOW's version of housing with garrisons in WoD. I know most people are like "well that wasn't actually housing" but that WAS WOW's test for player housing and although it started off promising, most people didn't end up liking garrisons.

Wasn't Garrison a form of housing?

I would kill irl for a housing system in wow with a armory where you had manequins and weapon racks. So you could display transmog armor and weapons. A wall of achievements where you could mount the head of raid bosses you killed etc.
    I really really want it. But i also understand why we will never get something like this

10+ Year Old Account
    Observe this thread, and you will see why it will never happen. The playerbase (or the vocal part of it) is just unfriendly to any new feature (I mean, look at dungeon finder or flying; both pretty ancient features and both still having very vocal oposition). Housing would just end up another such thing. I would personaly like something like that (I preffer the ESO iteration, but I imagine it could be done right in a different way too). But I am aware that in this aspect, I am not a target demographic and likely in a minority. From that point of view, it is not baffling or surprising Blizzard hasn't implemented it yet; in fact, it appears logical. Why waste effort and money on something that wouldn't be used by a large portion of the playerbase and will inevitably become a PR disaster.

Overall, if you want any new features, be glad that you get covenants in Shadowlands. I wouldn't be surprised if the expansion after it didn't have any at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ErrandRunner View Post
    You already got WOW's version of housing with garrisons in WoD. I know most people are like "well that wasn't actually housing" but that WAS WOW's test for player housing and although it started off promising, most people didn't end up liking garrisons.
    Just because you call it an attempt at something, doesn't mean it was an actual attempt. Garrisons were player housing if you have no idea what player housing is. This argument is beyond stupid since you can call an apple a radish, doesn't mean that apple is actually a radish.

Yes I know the saying is apples and oranges, but Garrisons were so far and away NOT player housing that the you can't even go "Well they're both fruit". Its like calling battlegrounds dungeons because they're both group based content.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Like... I get that not everyone is going to be into Housing. But then, not everyone is into Raiding, or PvP. Housing has proven a pretty strong pillar of any MMORPG that still exists, so I have to wonder; why are they so hellbent on avoiding it?
    It's been attempted twice with huge disaster to show for it.

3rd time will most likely NOT be a charm, but the death of the game.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    Just because you call it an attempt at something, doesn't mean it was an actual attempt. Garrisons were player housing if you have no idea what player housing is. This argument is beyond stupid since you can call an apple a radish, doesn't mean that apple is actually a radish.

Yes I know the saying is apples and oranges, but Garrisons were so far and away NOT player housing that the you can't even go "Well they're both fruit". Its like calling battlegrounds dungeons because they're both group based content.
    Why don't you explain what you would like to see as WOW incorporating player housing into the game. If something looks like, sounds like, smells like and acts like a duck, then there is a good chance you are witnessing a duck!

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    Thats the good part about player housing. They add new content to it naturally as they create new set pieces for normal content. Its one of the easiest to maintain features in any MMO period. Its why its been a standard of MMO for over a decade now.

Garrisons was not player housing. Garrisons was them saying they were doing player housing, and then not having a single standard of player housing.
    I know it. I play FFXIV. But in Blizz-head think, that was their housing experiment. It was a blue post sometime around WoD or Legion when they discussed this.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    Ya but with housing they could easily integrate it with each expansion, by letting you "move" your house to different locations like the initial idea of the garrison. Or just make housing purely cosmetic then it can carry over in the sense of cosmetics to place in/around your home.
    That would be the central point of properly done housing, along with a high customisation degree
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caperfin View Post
    Wasn't Garrison a form of housing?

Yes, and the reception it got during and after WoD scared Blizzard shitless to never implement a housing mechanic again. Hopefully they've been attempting to improve on the idea since WoD.

But any incarnation like Garrisons that aren't improved on will be received as shitty again.

Quote Originally Posted by Beastiel View Post
    housing at this point in the games lifespan would be a waste. it should've been put in several expansions ago and cool looking house items should be playing the role mounts have been playing for years.

but a robust and interesting housing system would not be a achievable nor a proper use of resources 15 years in. then you consider blizzard' s limp dicked inability to implement expansion systems with the promise of actually keeping them around and it becomes obvious housing will never happen anyhow.
    This post captures the situation exactly, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhanzai View Post
    Its baffling that people still want idiotic features implemented.
    It's baffling that people disagree with you? LOL ok, I guess you just spend your existence perpetually stupefied.

The problem is housing, as was the problem with garrisons, made everyone feel secluded. You could do a lot of stuff without ever leaving your garrison at all. People complain about the social aspect of the game being out the window with menus that allow you to queue and get warped into a dungeon/raid. Blizzard tried to fix that in Cataclysm slightly by making you "discover" the entrance before you could queue for it directly. That didn't go over well and we went back to auto-porting. The majority of the community doesn't like to do anything but log in, do what they consider important for the day, and log out. They could add in a million things to do, but if it doesn't appeal to you, it's not going to be considered content.

Housing, just won't work. Guild housing might be slightly better option, but it makes it so one person really has control which isn't really fun for others. Not to mention, it doesn't really bring anything to the game that isn't elsewhere.