Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    Swiss did a referendum in 2014 against immigration. They don't prefer open borders, since they voted "against mass immigration".
    It would be nice to see more countries voting on this
    and the geek shall inherit the earth

  2. #22
    Scarab Lord
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Baden-Wuerttemberg
    Posts
    4,920
    "moving into" and "visit" are different stories, BUT since Switzerland is Schengen, nobody bats an eye for strolling in across border with France, Germany, Italy and Austria.
    trouble starts, if you dont move out nicely after 3 months or register yourself for residence.

    and just for the record: no swiss employer is so daft and risks penalties for undocumented unregistered workers. dont even THINK about working illegally there, swiss authorities are void of empathy for sob stories.
    just get a permit and you are golden and the sun shines off your butt indeed.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Which is pretty much similar to moving within the EU. You NEED a job lined up or have enough money to say you won't be a liability to the nation you've moved to or they will kick you out.

    What you can't do is say move from EU nation A to B and say "Give me all your benefits!" that the right try to use to trick people with.
    No. What happens is the move here, asylum gets denied and they appeal. And again. And again. Untill theyve spend a few years here, have some kids, the asylum shelter gets closed and since they now have kids, families are getting moved to social housing projects.

    Tadaa. Now just await the general pardon because its unethical to throw people out of the country whove lived here for many years. And theres your green card and a live long benefits cheque.

    The other version is where you destroy your passport and claim to be from an unsafe country. The ammount of requests and appeals are so overwhelming they cant properly screen every request. Tadaa, heres your green card and a live long benefits cheque.

    The funny thing is the government admits that a quarter of all benefits goes overseas to other countries like turkey and maroco. So the fuckers dont actually live here, once they got the registration set up they move back. Same goes with PGB (personal care funds) fraude. And since those countries dont extradite, theres fuckall holland can do.

    When you look at the common ground, its not that they are arab or geolocation. Syrians, egyptians and iraqies dont pull this shit. This kind of fraude is allmost exclusively happening with residents from countries where the majority of the population is muslim, like marocco and turkey. Might be a coincidence but it sure as fuck is sketchy.
    Last edited by Thereturn; 2020-01-07 at 11:10 PM.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Demolitia View Post
    That is utter bullshit
    Actually, its true... So long you are in Schengenzone, you can basically move to the Netherlands ... without a job, without income.
    ''With this attack, we have no choice but to protect our kind by unleashing our almighty weapon upon them. Summoning the Apocalypse'' - Stellaris Apocalypse trailer.

  5. #25
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuiking View Post
    Actually, its true... So long you are in Schengenzone, you can basically move to the Netherlands ... without a job, without income.
    The rules to stay in a country more than 3 months is that you can provide for yourself.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuiking View Post
    Actually, its true... So long you are in Schengenzone, you can basically move to the Netherlands ... without a job, without income.
    Which does not mean you are entitled to any medical care or social benefits paid by the dutch authorities. That is what i was replying to.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Open borders? Switzerland?

    It's notoriously difficult to move to the country.
    Well not if you live in the EU

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Demolitia View Post
    Which does not mean you are entitled to any medical care or social benefits paid by the dutch authorities. That is what i was replying to.
    Aha, thats what you meant? then your right ...
    ''With this attack, we have no choice but to protect our kind by unleashing our almighty weapon upon them. Summoning the Apocalypse'' - Stellaris Apocalypse trailer.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuiking View Post
    Aha, thats what you meant? then your right ...
    Another thing is that if you move within the Schengen area and stay in another country more than 90 to 180 days (that seems to be up to the host state), you have the obligation to register as a resident. You have to prove you are self sufficient in order to do so.
    Now the question is what happens if you fail to do so? How is that checked and enforced in each state? Can they send you home if they catch you?

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Demolitia View Post
    Another thing is that if you move within the Schengen area and stay in another country more than 90 to 180 days (that seems to be up to the host state), you have the obligation to register as a resident. You have to prove you are self sufficient in order to do so.
    Now the question is what happens if you fail to do so? How is that checked and enforced in each state? Can they send you home if they catch you?
    Technically.. yes... but seeing how weak the Netherlands is against other countries: doubt it.
    ''With this attack, we have no choice but to protect our kind by unleashing our almighty weapon upon them. Summoning the Apocalypse'' - Stellaris Apocalypse trailer.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuiking View Post
    Technically.. yes... but seeing how weak the Netherlands is against other countries: doubt it.
    The Netherlands is the 6th biggest economy in the EU. It's anything but weak.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanrefni View Post
    It would be highly amusing if Brexit ends up being the cause of Switzerland becoming a full member of the EU.
    Doubt it. Switzerland has fared very well in history being neutral. And I think most people in and outside Switzerland would prefer them to stay neutral.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    “It’s majoritarian, the majority wins, it’s ruled by the majority for the majority – sod the minority. Whereas true democracy includes everybody’s opinion in society,” - Margaret Georgiadou, 2019 about Brexit referendum.
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

  13. #33
    Over 9000! Jinro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Daegu, South Korea
    Posts
    9,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    Well not if you live in the EU
    Then it's not really open borders, is it?

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Demolitia View Post
    The Netherlands is the 6th biggest economy in the EU. It's anything but weak.
    With being taken seriously? sadly countries like Marocco, or lets say, Poland, laugh abit and ignore its requests... its not all about Economy
    ''With this attack, we have no choice but to protect our kind by unleashing our almighty weapon upon them. Summoning the Apocalypse'' - Stellaris Apocalypse trailer.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Then it's not really open borders, is it?
    Note the [EU] written in the topic headline, this was never about open borders not regarding the EU

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Doubt it. Switzerland has fared very well in history being neutral. And I think most people in and outside Switzerland would prefer them to stay neutral.
    I highly doubt it as well,but it would be amusing to see England's reaction to it.

  17. #37
    I don't know that I'd call the EU's free movement policy "open borders". The EU operates as a single unit from a border perspective - more or less.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Do not mistake the following for endorsement, but when did conservatism/right wing turn into far right?
    Border xenophobia has always been far right.

    Closed borders in the US literally began with the Chinese Exclusion Act, a racist policy from the late 1800s. Before that the US, like most countries, had essentially open borders for its entire history.

    Similar story in other Anglophone countries. In Australia our open borders ended with the White Australia policy targeting mostly Asians around the same time. In the UK, they were trying to keep out Eastern Jews.

    The racist elements of immigration policies weren't repealed until the Civil Rights era, but border control remained, despite no longer fulfilling its original purpose.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Then it's not really open borders, is it?
    The right wing likes to portray EU's freedom of movement as "open borders" to gin up paranoia about it. But no, it's not quite the same. EU countries have essentially open borders with one another, but not non-EU countries.
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2020-01-09 at 03:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

  18. #38
    Scarab Lord
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Baden-Wuerttemberg
    Posts
    4,920
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    ....

    The right wing likes to portray EU's freedom of movement as "open borders" to gin up paranoia about it. But no, it's not quite the same. EU countries have essentially open borders with one another, but not non-EU countries.
    for clarification: Switzerland+Liechtenstein (surrounded by 4 EU members) = not EU, but Schengen
    Norway and Iceland follow he same model
    the non EU borders technically starts at the balkan and at borders with Turkey, Belorus, Ukraine, Russia.
    everything west of that is open to everybody and their grandma, once you are in (or past border control at airport, if that is your point of entry) .

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    for clarification: Switzerland+Liechtenstein (surrounded by 4 EU members) = not EU, but Schengen
    Norway and Iceland follow he same model
    the non EU borders technically starts at the balkan and at borders with Turkey, Belorus, Ukraine, Russia.
    everything west of that is open to everybody and their grandma, once you are in (or past border control at airport, if that is your point of entry) .
    Ah yeah, Schengen zone in this case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

  20. #40
    Wut? Brexit is the populist right.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •