Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Mukind View Post
    So it sounds like you're saying irrelevant of home server. My client will just directly ping the "instance server"?

So if I'm in NY and playing on a W coast home server but the instance server is in Chicago. It will directly ping chicago? Not go to my home server first? Because if I have to go to LA then back to chicago it's gonna be terrible

That's really the key part for me

edit - and yea as far as i can tell they have released nothing about this, certainly not pertaining to classic directly
    You should be pinging directly to the instance server. I can't imagine Blizzards netcode in 2020 would daisy-chain to your home server both there and back for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by BananaHandsB View Post
    You should be pinging directly to the instance server. I can't imagine Blizzards netcode in 2020 would daisy-chain to your home server both there and back for no reason.
    That makes sense but the UI showing same ping scares me lol

No no no
    Yes yes yes.

It will just show me the ping to the W coast server. But if the game is hosted in Chicago i'm pinging the home server then coming back.
    Since instance servers are separate from your world server, this is not the case at all. Good to see you display complete ignorance of how it actually works though. (If you think im wrong or something - keep thinking; this is exactly why your world server can go down and you can still be inside an instance and will not be able to zone out if you try to leave. Which ive had happen several times, or why you can try to zone into an instance and sometimes fail (the handoff between your world server and the instance server fails, isnt working, or goes down). And get stuck in a log-in loop, because your character isn't technically on the world server anymore (its been transfered to the instance server) and hasn't failed back to the snapshot taken as you attempted to zone (which has a timeout before it happens).

So i get my visible 70, then i get another 70 on the way back to the actual server where the BG is hosted...Possibly
    In what world are you getting 140ms across country? (Not to mention that the latency shown in the client is round-trip).

Again, if you are, thats a problem with your network infrastructure or your ISP.

Seriously, playing over 4G from Hawaii (the Big Island, not Oahu) when i was on vacation i was only pinging ~120ms.

IDK what you imagine your ping will be if you're east of hte mississippi and pinging a LA server or vice versa. But it's gonna be minimum about 70

This isn't korea dude we're a continent spanning empire

None of your vernacular critiques are relevant to me....I don't care?

I just want to know what data center(s) are hosting the games. Whether or not it's the instance server or my home server is not a relevant concern. Nor what they're called. No1 cares outside this very very specific instance where I need to form this question vaguely coherently. Which i did just fine

So now we know waht i'm talking about just tell me how ping works thanks for your getting me up to speed on retail jargon i don't care about. There is no documentation on this, so idk why you would call them instance servers anyway. They could call them something totally different for classic. There could be a third data center in between LA and Chicago IDK and neither do you lol

That's what I care about

Not the proper* label on the server
    Last edited by Mukind; 2020-01-07 at 09:26 PM.

This guy is a two year old. Kagthul gave him a completely detailed answer and basically all he says is "wah wah wah my head is too small to understand that you just gave me the right answer so I am going to insult some more". Classic scumbags at their finest.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenfing View Post
    This guy is a two year old. Kagthul gave him a completely detailed answer and basically all he says is "wah wah wah my head is too small to understand that you just gave me the right answer so I am going to insult some more". Classic scumbags at their finest.
    He gave me no answer, he barely understands what is going on

blathering on something totally off topic not relevant to anything anyone cares about

the datacenter is what matters, that's what *affects ping. Which datacenters do i have to go through to play. That's it
    Last edited by Mukind; 2020-01-07 at 09:59 PM.

He gave me no answer, he barely understands what is going on

blathering on something totally off topic not relevant to anything anyone cares about

the datacenter is what matters, that's what *affects ping. Which datacenters do i have to go through to play. That's it
    Ill go ahead and reply to you again even though you got banned:

If you're pinging 70 cross country, the problem is your internet provider.

Playing on a CELLPHONE connection, from the Big Island of Hawaii (which means the Fiber runs BACK to Oahu, THEN to the West Coast of the US, THEN to my Server) i didn't ping more than 120ms. From. Fucking. Hawaii.

On 4G. Which means there was latency built in to the 4G tower (admittedly, probably not more than 20-25ms as nowhere on that island where there is Cell coverage are you actually far from a tower; there are plenty of places with bad or no coverage, but if you're in a covered zone, the tower isn't more than a mile or two away), then it travels over an OC12 line from the tower to the local mains, then over the main underwater fiber trunk to Oahu (Honolulu), where it is then sent over the main underwater fiber trunk to LA. THEN it goes cross-country to my server (Chicago IIRC) through potentially several different trunks owned by different ISPs.

And i still wasn't pinging more than 120ms. From. Fucking. Hawaii. Ill keep repeating that until it sinks in. The only reason those long fiber runs even add latency into the mix (because even at several thousand miles long, thats not even 1ms of time over fiber) is because there is limited bandwidth so your traffic may have to wait a few dozen ms to get into the pipe).

From home (in Michigan) i ping 12-17ms to my "Eastern" server. (in Chicago)
    From home (in Michigan) I ping 15-19ms to my "Western" server. (in LA).

And that's with plain-ol' Comcast, which around here is absolute shit because they have a legal monopoly and therefore have no competition. I dont even pay for a particularly wide data connection (not that that is what determines latency anyway) - i "only" Pay for 125/25 as Business Class (because it has true unlimited data with no data cap - seriously, fuck Comcast).

It does not take 100ms to get across the country. We are LOOOOONNNNNGGGG past everything being run over copper. Its only copper to the local node in your area. Everything past that is fiber. (And that may not even be true; a lot of areas where there is actual competition are getting fiber-to-the-home) Fiber-optics move data at the speed of light. The only thing slowing it down is routing (having to go through non-fiber traces and routing computers/servers).

So ill repeat:

If connecting to one of the Eastern servers gives you 70ms latency, but connecting to a Western server does not... the problem is with your ISP or one of the ISPs between you and the Eastern Server cluster.

Which is entirely possible. Last winter, a major fiber trunk in the midwest here was severed for several days. My latency to almost any server outside of the immediate area went up by a factor of 10. Because they were having to route back and forth all over fuck and back to get from point A to point B.

But its not because of the distance between you and the server. The only time latency should ever be an issue is when you're crossing the Ocean, and that isn't because its somehow slower (at least, to most countries; im sure not everywhere has fiber underwater, that shit is expensive, so a lot of third-world countries that are on islands probably still have those old underwater/burried massive copper trunks (like... think several feet thick of braided wires)) to go that distance - but because there is a limited amount of bandwidth in that trunk and therefore data often has to "wait" to get its turn through the pipe. If you had a thick enough fiber pipe to handle all the data that goes through it at once, the latency wouldn't be that much higher than if it were down the street.

The only thing adding latency at that point is routing through different ISP's data centers on your way from point A to point B.

I guess that would depend on where the instance servers are located.

you directly connect to the server your battleground instance is on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard's east cost data center is in Texas and their west coast data center is in California.

When you join any sort of instance, you are connected directly to the server hosting the instance. You are also directly connected to your home server too at the same time.

You can see the ping to each in the client at least with a mod.

I haven't checked, but I would guess battlegrounds are hosted out of both as it is not a very latency sensitive game and these days most people in the US and Canada will have a sub-50ms ping to both data centers.

The client does not route your battleground related traffic through the home server as that would be wasteful on their part.