Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How Does Ping For BG's Work if W and E coast are in the same "battlegroup"?

So i've been looking around and can't seem to find an answer to this.

When you que for a BG in classic you are just as likely to face west coast players as east coast, and unless it's premade vs premade in WSG it's almost guaranteed to be mixed E coast (chicago) and W coast (LA) players. Clearly there is no E v E or W v W prio.

So how is the game deciding where to host these games? Is it always Chicago, even in 100% west coast player games? Is it always LA? Based on who enters first? Maybe other possibilities?

If i'm on the E coast and playing on a W coast server. Will my connection have to hit the LA servers then come back to chicago? Giving me functionally 150+ ping? The game seems to show you your connection to your "home" server no matter what. But obviously the UI is not the end all be all and it doesn't make any sense my ping or a W coast players would not change in the same BG.

Anyone know how they're doing these things? Or know how to read their logs to understand what's going on?

Quote Originally Posted by Mukind View Post
    functionally 150+ ping?
    Spell Batching is 400ms. Kinda renders it pointless if your worried about ping less than 200.
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    My opinion is a fact.
    Having opinions are F A C T S.
    Stating you do not agree with my world has no impact on mine.
    It is not the same as talking about math either.
    This is talking about MY perception and so to me it is A fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Kersey View Post
    Spell Batching is 400ms. Kinda renders it pointless if your worried about ping less than 200.
    For something like WSG clicking it's alllll about ping

Not to mention having 200 effective ping would mean i'm a 1/5th of a second behind people with decent ping

Batching is meant to make high ping less painful, it can't fix everything....

Great questions Mukind.

I have long wondered this myself, and it would be great to hear some factual answers to these questions, unfortunately 9 times out of 10 you will receive pretentious/uneducated feedback from the peanut gallery. Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaulton05 View Post
    Great questions Mukind.

I have long wondered this myself, and it would be great to hear some factual answers to these questions, unfortunately 9 times out of 10 you will receive pretentious/uneducated feedback from the peanut gallery. Good Luck.
    I will continue to spam this question until i get an answer vault. Basically copy pasted this isto the bug tracker maybe i'll get a blue response lol

Does it really matter if theres nothing you can do about it? Theres not that much of a difference in ping, and its all under the spell batching amount. Just curious why it matters to you.

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    Does it really matter if theres nothing you can do about it? Theres not that much of a difference in ping, and its all under the spell batching amount. Just curious why it matters to you.
    Yes for the second time it does matter

Holy shit

What part of functionally 150 ping was unclear?

I will go from 15 ping to possibly 150 hidden ping, not gud. ANd with server transfers you certainly can affect it. If I go west coast I want to know I'm not going to LA and back to Chicago with my connection.

It will ruin my gameplay experience lol. Will never be able to bubble/repick flag again. Can't even dream of dropping the flag then bopping with that sorta ping.

three letters....WSG.....SHoudla told you all you need to know

Yes for the second time it does matter

Holy shit

What part of functionally 150 ping was unclear?

I will go from 15 ping to possibly 150 hidden ping, not gud. ANd with server transfers you certainly can affect it. If I go west coast I want to know I'm not going to LA and back to Chicago with my connection.

It will ruin my gameplay experience lol. Will never be able to bubble/repick flag again. Can't even dream of dropping the flag then bopping with that sorta ping.

three letters....WSG.....SHoudla told you all you need to know
    Calm down there, friend. Was just a question. You do know what spell batching is and how it works right? 5 or 150 ping doesnt matter.

Let's say I tell you its 100% random which side its based on. What are you going to do with that information?

Calm down there, friend. Was just a question. You do know what spell batching is and how it works right? 5 or 150 ping doesnt matter.

Let's say I tell you its 100% random which side its based on. What are you going to do with that information?
    You are extremely slow

Transfers? lol

And i need to know more than where it's hosted. I need to know if I'm still hitting my "home" server anyway.

Either read what i'm saying or go away
    Last edited by Mukind; 2020-01-07 at 06:20 PM.

You are extremely slow

Transfers? lol

And i need to know more than where it's hosted. I need to know if I'm still hitting my "home" server anyway.

Either read what i'm saying or go away
    You are extremely bitter lol. Still didn't answer my question. If it turns out to be 100% random, what will this information actually do for you?

You also realize that other players will have high ping too correct?

You would probably perform better if you learned how to take a few deep breaths and calmed down rather than worrying about a slight difference in ping that dsnt matter with spell batching, that half the other players in the BG are dealing with anyway.

Good luck man, you're gonna need it.

You are extremely bitter lol. Still didn't answer my question. If it turns out to be 100% random, what will this information actually do for you?

You also realize that other players will have high ping too correct?

You would probably perform better if you learned how to take a few deep breaths and calmed down rather than worrying about a slight difference in ping that dsnt matter with spell batching, that half the other players in the BG are dealing with anyway.

Good luck man, you're gonna need it.
    HOLY SHIT. The first question you asked was answered in my second post. Why does it matter? WSG

The second question, again answered in my third post. Made very clear since you didn't understand. I'm deciding if i want to follow people to W coast. Transfers will affect ping, that's why this matters. *mind blown*

And the third question. The one you asked AGAIN HAS THE SAME ANSWER.

IF THE SERVER FORCES MY CONNECTINO TO LA AND THEN TO CHICAGO I HAVE RUINED MY GAMEPLAY EXPERIENCE. DOES THE NETCODE ALLOW ME TO JUST DIRECT CONNECT TO CHICAGO SERVERS? IDK

WHY ARE YOU SO USELESS? GO AWAY

You could have said nothing and figured all this out....Mind blowing stupidity

This thread is not for stupid questions made by people who don't understand teh game they're playing.
    Last edited by Mukind; 2020-01-07 at 06:33 PM.

HOLY SHIT. The first question you asked was answered in my second post. Why does it matter? WSG

The second question, again answered in my third post. Made very clear since you didn't understand. I'm deciding if i want to follow people to W coast. Transfers will affect ping, that's why this matters. *mind blown*

And the third question. The one you asked AGAIN HAS THE SAME ANSWER.

IF THE SERVER FORCES MY CONNECTINO TO LA AND THEN TO CHICAGO I HAVE RUINED MY GAMEPLAY EXPERIENCE.
    Good luck, friend. I hope life treats you better than you treat others. Try not to get frustrated so easily.

Good luck, friend. I hope life treats you better than you treat others. Try not to get frustrated so easily.
    I highly doubt i'm the one who needs the luck mister can't be useful in a 4 post thread

GL with whatever it is you clearly struggle to do....You need it

Interesting question with a useless answer.

It should be 1k+ latency #NoChanges, did I get it right?

100ms difference in a game where APM doesn't matter. Sure
    Last edited by Ragnarohk; 2020-01-07 at 06:53 PM.

I highly doubt i'm the one who needs the luck mister can't be useful in a 4 post thread

GL with whatever it is you clearly struggle to do....You need it
    If you want an answer, try not being abusive and kicking and screaming like a 5 year old.

Even though it feels gross to answer you with the way you're acting I'll give you an answer, even though you'll probably throw a tantrum because it wasn't the answer you wanted.

The connection to the away server is rarely significantly different from the home server unless there is a serious network problem. You can check this on real WoW. I can't imagine classic uses a different network architecture considering all the things they talked about making special to spoof the way it worked in vanilla..

Quote Originally Posted by Shaetha View Post
    If you want an answer, try not being abusive and kicking and screaming like a 5 year old.

Even though it feels gross to answer you with the way you're acting I'll give you an answer, even though you'll probably throw a tantrum because it wasn't the answer you wanted.

The connection to the away server is rarely significantly different from the home server unless there is a serious network problem. You can check this on real WoW. I can't imagine classic uses a different network architecture considering all the things they talked about making special to spoof the way it worked in vanilla..
    If you're not sure or just want to ask stupid questions, leave it

I was this mean yet here you are. Clearly i wasn't harsh enough lol

If you have nothing pertinent to say, move along. Don't ask silly questions like "why would 400 ping matter batching herp derp who cares if i'm 400 ms behind what everyone else is seeing"

Thanks for the bump

Edit - and as far as i can tell battlegroups are divided by E/W on retail. Only thing similar is the phasing stuff but there is no analogy to draw from that.

If you're getting 150ms to a Cali server from the East Coast.... the problem is your internet provider or your own networking hardware.

I get 17ms to my EST server... and 19 to my PST server.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    If you're getting 150ms to a Cali server from the East Coast.... the problem is your internet provider or your own networking hardware.

I get 17ms to my EST server... and 19 to my PST server.
    No no no

It will just show me the ping to the W coast server. But if the game is hosted in Chicago i'm pinging the home server then coming back.

So i get my visible 70, then i get another 70 on the way back to the actual server where the BG is hosted...Possibly

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    Interesting question with a useless answer.

It should be 1k+ latency #NoChanges, did I get it right?

100ms difference in a game where APM doesn't matter. Sure
    Ping to the server has nothing to do with the game?

Wut?

lol

Devs can't control how quickly or slowly i connect to the relevant server beyond this specific issue we're discussing. Everything else should be on your "home" server.

And having cross datacenter* battle groups isn't blizzlike lol
    Last edited by Mukind; 2020-01-07 at 09:08 PM.

When you enter a BG you enter an instance server. Your ping should be based on your connection to that instance server during the game. Since servers are cycling based on games finishing, you're likely just getting a random east coast/west coast instance server when you que random. If the server has multiple servers free relative to the # of ppl playing it might prioritize matching the server location to whichever coast holds the majority of players in that BG. This is mainly speculation since I don't think this information has ever been released by blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by BananaHandsB View Post
    When you enter a BG you enter an instance server. Your ping will be based on your connection to that instance server during the game. Since servers are cycling based on games finishing, you're likely just getting a random east coast/west coast instance server when you que random. If the server has multiple servers free relative to the # of ppl playing it might prioritize matching the server location to whichever coast holds the majority of players in that BG. This is mainly speculation since I don't think this information has ever been released by blizzard.
    So it sounds like you're saying irrelevant of home server. My client will just directly ping the "instance server"?

So if I'm in NY and playing on a W coast home server but the instance server is in Chicago. It will directly ping chicago? Not go to my home server first? Because if I have to go to LA then back to chicago it's gonna be terrible

That's really the key part for me

edit - and yea as far as i can tell they have released nothing about this, certainly not pertaining to classic directly