Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    "If you're not far left, you're only far right"

What is it with all these posts recently from low-count posters pushing an identity via a question-header asked like it's an absolute thing?

To answer... no, Ricky Gervais is not - and, to quote the man himself, "You're talking shit. Stop talking shit."

Quote Originally Posted by mvaliz View Post
    What is it with all these posts recently from low-count posters pushing an identity via a question-header asked like it's an absolute thing?

To answer... no, Ricky Gervais is not - and, to quote the man himself, "You're talking shit. Stop talking shit."
    The OP's account is 2012 and most of his posts are hard right. He's just trying to make fun of the left.

He saying what everyone with a brain cell and not super rich clueless already know. Some multi million actor trying to lecture people on his "award" was and always will be retarded. Some of them are even less qualified then the average person to fucking say anything about anything. They live in an alternate reality of someone that win millions in a year and somehow can still go in public and talk about how they got to work oh so hard, so much discrimination against them boohoo.

They do the same shit for health and food. Its easy talk about eating bio to save the world and try to whine that the general public needs to be forced or do it more when you are a millionaire. In the real world a fucking mcdonald cheese burger is 99 cent. A bio tomato is $2 where i live. So two cheeseburger or one tomatoe?

Id rather be lectured by a homeless person, they might actually have some real insight into shit.

Quote Originally Posted by ViolenceJackRespectsWomen View Post
    It wasn't common sense if you remove sweat shop those people go back to subsistence farming which is a slow death.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not defending sweatshops just trying to say how fuck the situation is without them those people die. Thank your for your emotion based jab though. With automation a lot of those people will be out of the job as well. The people who can't switch over to a service based economy will be hurt even more. It's a sad situation and moral fagging about sweatshops is kind of out of touch. It's way more complicated than dis bad and dat good.

So no religious people can separate themselves from the abuse of the church? You can participate in a work place and separate yourself from it's culture. You can be pro something but also advocate change. Cause just leaving the system does nothing. You have to fight for the things you want. Advocacy is one of those ways.

Epstein also supplied really powerful man with underage women. If I support the countries they represent does that make me bad? Epstein had close ties to everything political dynasties, religious based organization. It was way deeper to pretend that was a Hollywood only problem is dishonest.

The amount of republicans that have been involved with minors sexually out numbers anything Epstein did... They were even reelected when the allegations surfaced. Are those people bad for supporting the republicans party?

I just hate people that criticize but don't offer solutions. I also hate people that lump others together because of things out their control.
    You realize those "sweatshops" can be just factories instead of sweatshops right?

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    When has expressing common sense made you a right wing nut job?
    Since Trump took office

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Ricky Gervais' own words:
    The simple answer is most people know fuck-all about politics, and it's entirely a team sport in their eyes, an "us vs them" with no actual principles attached at any point.

If you attack "us" in any way, you must be one of "them", because "us" is free of all wrongdoing forever and anyone saying otherwise is a traitor, a double agent for "them", or an idiot.

The Republicans are, admittedly, a little bit worse in this respect than the Democrats, but it's a comparison between "90% blind ideologues" to "70% blind ideologues".

And before anyone complains about me, I'm A> not American and thus part of neither "us" nor "them", and B> I don't even remain consistent with the parties I support here in Canada; I overwhelmingly vote the local rep, not the party, and I don't think I've ever voted for the same national party more than twice in a row in my life. I switch pretty regularly, based on my own personal views, because I don't see myself as being part of any political "side". I'm definitely not small-c conservative (other than fiscal conservativism, which let's be clear, everyone believes in at some level), but other than that, the field is wide open. And really, I'd even consider voting big-C Conservative, if their reps and party policies were something I thought was the best option; they just consistently aren't, to me.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure this is nonsense and ad hominem. Being "right wing" is about a person's political positions and not who they criticize.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    His speech at the Golden Globes was anti-capitalistic for Christs sake.
    A lot of right-wingers I've seen (or at least right-wing youtube grifters and forum-goers) have no clue that the things they have the most problems with are problems caused by capitalism. But they're too wrapped up in the "us vs them" to comprehend that...or too dogmatically tied to the idea that questioning capitalism means that you're a filthy Marxist who wants to murder millions of people...so they assume those are caused by left-wing policies instead.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2020-01-07 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    You realize those "sweatshops" can be just factories instead of sweatshops right?
    I know this goes into the part about actually offering a solution with the criticism. If the foreign capitol is gone how do they afford to run those factories? They basically lose years of progress potentially and than people are back to substance farming. Wading through fucking garbage and scraps. The luckier ones in the rural areas can at least grow some vegetables or something.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Some religious person would be more analogous to someone who simply enjoys Hollywood products. The people at the golden globe are the priests, knowingly staying silent about their child abusing colleague because they dont want to shake the boat.

Take the easy example, Weinstein. After it all came out, you had two main groups of celebrity responses. One was "I knew, everybody knew, it was the first thing you heard about him and I'm sorry I didn't speak out" and another camp of "I had no idea until these women spoke out, my deepest empathizes..".

Both groups, of course, worked very closely with him and profited for many years. Both groups obviously knew, and ignored it, in favor of profits and their career.

No one is saying only Hollywood had strong ties to Epstein. Hollywood was the audience here, so they're the ones he's talking to.
    Are you omnipotent cause you seem to know a lot with a lack of evidence. You don't know whether some is guilty or innocence outside of their word or evidence. So saying everyone knew is a big yikes on your end.

Also, I wasn't defending sweatshops. I'm just saying without them things get worse. If they were to suddenly just disappear and the foreign capital with them. China might not be a better place for example.
    Last edited by Varvara Spiros Gelashvili; 2020-01-07 at 07:44 PM.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ViolenceJackRespectsWomen View Post
    Are you omnipotent cause you seem to know a lot with a lack of evidence. You don't know whether some is guilty or innocence outside of their word or evidence. So saying everyone knew is a big yikes on your end.

Also, I wasn't defending sweatshops. I'm just saying without them things get worse. If they were to suddenly just disappear and the foreign capital with them. China might not be a better place for example.
    I just find it highly unlikely that after so many people came out over the years, so many settlements, and so many testimonies saying there's been a lot of rumors for decades, and several high-profile celebrities confirming that it was an open secret that everyone knew about.. I find it very hard to believe those that worked closely with him for decades saying they've never heard about it. It's so bizarrely unlikely that I'm very confident in calling them liars.

The sweatshop thing is really an interesting topic but it deserves it's own thread, I'll just say I disagree.
    Last edited by Revi; 2020-01-07 at 09:40 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehct View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCNdTLHZAeo

Why is Ricky Gervais all of a sudden going super hard full right wing trash babble? He has been rallying far right fascists for months now and the Golden Globes hosting was the last confirmation of that. "Don't use this platform for any political speech" ( basically doesn't want anyone to talk shit on Trump to the masses ) - Its crazy NBC let him host anything.
    Says ur vid is not available...as for the rest of what u wrote, eh? This is just classic British humor that is mostly dead in this day n age...

He has a self-loathing and dark kind of humour (maybe comes from the British culture). What he did was hold up a satirical mirror to the sanctimonious, pretentious, condescending Hollywood audience (or actors) who also happen to be left-wing. I guess in a zero-sum world where there are only two sides (good and evil) any criticism of our side is promotion of the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    He has a self-loathing and dark kind of humour (maybe comes from the British culture). What he did was hold up a satirical mirror to the sanctimonious, pretentious, condescending Hollywood audience (or actors) who also happen to be left-wing. I guess in a zero-sum world where there are only two sides (good and evil) any criticism of our side is promotion of the other side.
    Or there can be different school of thoughts, not everyone in same side has to think exactly the same, that's called diversity and its okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Xjev View Post
    Or there can be different school of thoughts, not everyone in same side has to think exactly the same, that's called diversity and its okay.
    Yup, in agreement here.

Doesn't Gervais just steal his jokes off 16 years olds on reddit. I remember watching his comedy special and it was a 15 minute bit about 'i identify as a chimp called bobo'. Getting the attack helicopter meme and making it half your special lol. He also name searches on twitter, so when hes out of the news for a bit just type 'Ricky Gervais is a fat talentless cunt' and he will come and set his fans on you. lol

Gervais makes jokes from left wing perspective mocking corporations and the rich.

Right wingers: YAY! EAT SHIT LIBTARDS! No one cares about celebrity opinions! BRB my celebrity president is tweeting his opinion and it's super important.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    This is fracking ridiculous.

He was criticizing the rich and privileged, for conduct that has contributed to global inequalities.

That's a pretty left-wing position for attack. That the individuals in question also tend to lean left just shows that they're not that ideologically consistent in their own behaviour and practices. There's a lot of "oh, I donated some petty cash to another rich person's charitable project, so I'm totes enlightened and you should ignore my four mansions and three private jets and friendship with Saudi oil barons" going on out there.

I still think Gervais is more than a little bit of a hypocrite since he's just as responsible for this kind of shit as anyone he targeted, but to argue that he's a right-wing nutjob is absolutely fucking bananas.
    Being a hypocrite seems to be a far wing position as of late. Also, right wingers get off on celebrities getting "put in their place" for having no idea what real life is like, until Kid Rock or Ted Nugent endorses 2A.

Edit: I don't actually think he is right wing, but his speech feeds right wingers in their contempt for anyone they deem liberal, in this case Hollywood.
    Last edited by Clone; 2020-01-08 at 02:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    Doesn't Gervais just steal his jokes off 16 years olds on reddit. I remember watching his comedy special and it was a 15 minute bit about 'i identify as a chimp called bobo'. Getting the attack helicopter meme and making it half your special lol. He also name searches on twitter, so when hes out of the news for a bit just type 'Ricky Gervais is a fat talentless cunt' and he will come and set his fans on you. lol
    Joke, singular.

These chuds have one joke and it's always some variant of "I identify as an attack helicopter", but for some reason they can never identify as actually funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    This is fracking ridiculous.

He was criticizing the rich and privileged, for conduct that has contributed to global inequalities.

That's a pretty left-wing position for attack. That the individuals in question also tend to lean left just shows that they're not that ideologically consistent in their own behaviour and practices. There's a lot of "oh, I donated some petty cash to another rich person's charitable project, so I'm totes enlightened and you should ignore my four mansions and three private jets and friendship with Saudi oil barons" going on out there.

I still think Gervais is more than a little bit of a hypocrite since he's just as responsible for this kind of shit as anyone he targeted, but to argue that he's a right-wing nutjob is absolutely fucking bananas.
    I believe even you can detect that this is a "Cancel Ricky Gervais" attempt by a Right-wing nutter, and that the OP doesn't believe in anything he's actually posting...

The problem is they're so dense to think that "lefties" are just one mass group who are easily outraged by anything. They're wrong. That's why they will always lose.